Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Despite what Otacon may say, it is Snake who really has the very cute butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling! posted:

all the japanese games i've played recently have "woman who can't cook" in them. Nier, Deadly prem, persona 4g, etc.
what other games have this?

Tales of Symphonia

precision posted:

only japan is brave enough to break the stereotype that women are competent

:yeah:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Please do not say bad things about Sunny's cooking skills, she has improved greatly with time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I personally just see it as lighthearted comic relief, none of the characters are particularly centered around their inability to cook.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sleeveless posted:

It's not really just a Japan thing, a guy being bisexual or a crossdresser or liking BDSM is still shorthand for them being criminally insane in just about every form of media. Even extending to coverage of real life crimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYUg-cZaWkI

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I found a weird game today and I shall post pictures of it soon, I might need help playing it.

It's for the sega saturn.

Is it Keio Flying Squadron 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Isn't Fallout 4 gonna support mods on console?

On Xbox One, and there's no way it isn't going to be super limited in comparison

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
That is true. Those things you said, they are the truth, in those words.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm horrified that a person replays video games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Games are different from most media in that sequels are almost always better because it usually means mechanical refinement and addition of new technical bells and whistles while delivering a similarly enjoyable story. Almost every game sequel is better than the previous iterations.

While this point may hold true for many things, it unfortunately does not hold true for the second games in the Devil May Cry and Deus Ex series, or the third Serious Sam game, which they named Serious Sam 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

hubris.height posted:

I know no one is trying to slaughter Deus Ex 2, The Invisible War, in this thread. However, I really feel like it needs to be said that if that game had come out with some of the cybernetic mechanics changed and in a different, or new franchise, it would be held in much higher regard today.

Kidney Thieves: The Night Club

Nah the mechanics and late-game level design would still be pretty lovely

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
People give Thief 3 poo poo, but it's amazing how alright it was after Invisible War.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jibo posted:

I never played Deus Ex when it came out and a couple years ago I decided to try it and I could not stick with it. I feel a great shame.

You quit at Liberty Island?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jibo posted:

If that is the place they dump you after training then yes.

I'm going to assume you mean the Tutorial training. Yeah, Liberty Island is what turns most people off from playing through the game. Give it until Hell's Kitchen, that's where the game either grabs you, or just doesn't. The high point is Hong Kong, but you probably won't like it too much if you don't like Hell's Kitchen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

is the PC port of The Last Remnant worth tenbux? I never played it before

I hear the game is good and the port apparently fixes some issues with the original console version.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Complaining about JC Denton having a lack of character development is pointless since JC Denton is meant to be a blank player-insert protagonist.

The voice acting in Deus Ex in general is awful, but I think the voice actor for JC has specifically said he was told to put zero emotion into his dialog.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
System Shock 2's last chunk is way way shittier than the last chunk of Deus Ex 1 and 3

Maybe not as bad as Invisible War, though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzvw8uSWucM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Deus Ex still has a tiny, active multiplayer community full of people just loving around with admin tools

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
If you're going to complain about the soundtrack to any Deus Ex game, even Invisible War kind of, then I'm afraid I am just never going to be able to take your silly, foolish arguments seriously.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

There is only one late 90s futuristic FPS that's even worth mentioning and it's not some Deus Ex or SS2 junk. You guessed it folks, it's Perfect Dark

I wish Perfect Dark XBLA was released on PC. That game is really really cool and good, when played on a system that can run it playably.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I think if we combined Deus Ex and Doom, we'd have something incredible.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Video game design and graphics are a lot like social and economical issues.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
This is some arguing about a game from 1999 that a significant number of people enjoy and a significant number of people do not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

I've played it emulated on Project 64 and it still looked pretty dang good for a freaking N64 game. Reflective surfaces in a 2000s-era console game = mind blow.

Yeah, Perfect Dark looks really loving nice for an N64 game, but it comes with the problem of totally tanking the framerate on an N64.

It's kind of impressive how much Rare saw ahead with a couple options they gave in their games, honestly. All the way back to Goldeneye they started implementing not only widescreen video options, which weren't even a common thing in Gamecube and PS2 games, but even had a slightly crude dual-analog control scheme for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. One that actually works very well, too, for the most part.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheScott2K posted:

Perfect Dark and GoldenEye are good games that are made great by talented artists working around pretty meager hardware. Basically the opposite of Deus Ex, where half baked ideas get pantsed by untalented artists with access to much better hardware.

I dunno, GoldenEye is cool technically but the game is a lot more frustrating to play now than Perfect Dark for a variety of reasons and the hardware really does pull both games down a bit too much.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Really, quite a few of Rare's games would just be better on different systems. Timesplitters 1 and 2 are pretty much the core gameplay of GoldenEye but on a system that can run them decently, and they're a lot better for it, if suffering from annoyingly shaky aiming. Jet Force Gemini certainly seems much better suited for a more up-to-date control scheme, but I don't have an Xbox One or a copy of Rare Replay to find out myself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Rare games belong in the trash. Sorry the bin.

I'm gonna call in my friend Chunky Kong, because Chunky's my pal, and he's gonna beat you up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
DKC2 a good game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Rare is still alive, and making an online cartoon Pirate game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

The only ones I know are the N64 games and they were always bad

I'm gonna Super Simian Slam you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Diddy Kong Racing, is better than Mario Kart 64.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
DKR is way less bullshit than MK64, because while the AI can maintain being really loving fast you at least have some chance of winning. It's all about abusing the trick where letting go of A as you pass through a booster gives you an even bigger boost.

In Mario Kart 64, the AI just beats you if you get too far ahead early in the race. One racer will get a ridiculous boost and stay there for the rest of the race.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
You both said horrible things, but I can forgive program666, because he is the Strongest Man

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheScott2K posted:

-Someone With An Anime Avatar

I'm part garbage dick, you blind fool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
T.T. isn't really worth it because he's one of those "super duper amazing game-breaker" things you can only get after you've done everything else in the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Rare games are good.

Actually, no, Rare games are... bad...?

I... don't know anymore!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The most important thing is whether those 22 games include Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Earth and Star Fox 64, which they do, so it's okay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Arena and Daggerfall have aged pretty terribly, I don't know why anyone would choose to play them over even Morrowind these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Hell, there are some entertaining silent movies out there. Daggerfall and especially Arena are just games made by a team of devs who didn't really know what the heck they were doing, but preferred doing it over making another Home Alone game for the NES. They're both really big, but they don't have anything cool to find inside their big-ness. Not even a single giant mushroom tower.

• Locked thread