Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Awesome! posted:

they can go gently caress themselves for cancelling the vita port

lol you bought a vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

when the other poster mentioned I thought they actually tried to make it look like a party or something but it's just choreographed sims themed stuff, that's kind of normal.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

precision posted:

We gamers are often told that we are silly, but into this word people try to put an insult that it is rather hard for me to fathom. Everything is silly... There is no logic... The acts of life have no beginning and no end. Everything happens in a completely idiotic way. That is why everything is alike. Simplicity is called Games.

Any attempt to conciliate an inexplicable momentary state with logic strikes me as a boring kind of game... Like everything in life, Games is useless...

Perhaps you will understand me better when I tell you that Games is a virgin microbe that penetrates with the insistence of air into all of the spaces that reason has not been able to fill with words or conventions.

do not source your quote

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I really like your videos

program666
Aug 22, 2013

this word in that whole context, just thinking about it is making my nose bleed brain

program666 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 12, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

I bought Deus Ex when it came out. Most of what people gloss over because it's old was also lovely back then. It's really, really overrated.
What exactly is lovely about it? I only played it recently and I thought it was great.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

The animations are terrible, the voice acting is terrible, the city levels are all just giant hallways, the only part of the story that ever actually works is when you bust out of the prison and it turns out you're in UNATCO HQ, the "stealth" relies on enemies that are more retarded than the goombas in SMB and man-sized grates acting like transit systems in top-secret facilities, the only projectile weapon that is the least bit satisfying to use is the sniper rifle that is useless until you're halfway through the game and even then you're using it to zoom in on terribly-animated retards you could just as easily walk up to and karate chop, Unreal Engine 1, the main character has nothing resembling an arc, and the multiple endings are basically the same "press X for Ending 1" poo poo everyone bitched about in Human Revolution. All of that made a 7.5/10 game in 2000 and it hasn't gotten better since.
Ok, first, barely anything there has anything to do with gameplay in the first place, so responding to your other post, maybe it's not stuff that people "gloss over", maybe it's just people like me that mostly focus on gameplay.
Second, when people talk about weapons being satisfying I have no idea what the hell you guys mean, and it's usually different stuff every time, it's just a word you guys use when you can't describe something else, like saying the gameplay is visceral or something like that, but must of the complains about this game is because it tries to implement an RPG mechanic where your character starts shooting inaccurately and you have to level him up to improve his aim. Maybe that's what you're complaining about? I don't know. But the truth is, while you may not like such mechanic, there is nothing wrong with it in and of itself, and I personally like it very much. (the same applies to low accuracy weapons in borderlands 2 by the way).

Story, graphics and the other stuff I can't care enough to comment on, it feels beneath me.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

The blue glowy sword is also incredibly stupid and perfectly illustrates that Ion Storm themselves didn't really buy into the progression of combat abilities mechanic/lovely combat excuse.
the dragon tooth breaks the game but saying "Ion Storm themselves didn't really buy into the progression of combat abilities mechanic" just because of that is bizarre.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Great Joe posted:

Really, what I've learned about Deus Ex over the years is that if you take its notions of stealth at all seriously instead of just nuking the odd guy who sees you with a rocket, you're gonna have a bad time.

I would usually throw a flare to attract soldiers near me, in a way they would leave their backs open for me to whack them. I had a good time. You could divert soldiers attention with flares all the time like when you throw bottles in Last of Us. If it had good graphics, voice acting and super casual gameplay it could probably win two hunderd awards lolol

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

Deus Ex wasn't that big of a deal until well after its release, iirc. Like what started the discussion in the first place, the stuff that's janky today was janky back then, and there's a reason it took as long as it did to get a (mediocre, underfunded) sequel. Somewhere along the line "cult classic" got distorted into "critical darling and canonical Best Game" because people are easily wowed when older games let you approach levels in different ways.
It's not that hard to understand, it's just that some gamers prefer gameplay, and we have been basically starving since around early 2000s or something.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember a lot of games that do the "approach levels multiple ways" that would make multiple character builds valid on a RPG. I guess fallout 3 does it but on a much more limited fashion, meaning you may activate some turrets sometimes if you have the skill, and that's mostly it.

I only started to browse SA in 2013, I wasn't here during YCS, I only barely know it existed.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Say what you will about Deus Ex voice acting, but if you only focus on gameplay, last of us is a lesser game, the entire AAA industry is lesser, and deus ex is probably not even among my top 10 games ever, that's simply true and you know that. You may appreciate other stuff that is not gameplay, but for me gameplay is principal, it's really easy to understand why people like it so much.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Holy poo poo play more RPGs

ops, sorry, I meant "approach levels multiple ways in a action game"

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Graphics and gameplay go hand in hand
thanks for making all your opinions invalid for 3 or 4 generations lol, can you even be more owned? I don't think so

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

lol gimmie a break!

yeah, that was kind of a exaggeration. More recently there have been a lot of cool small games with nice cool gameplay like FTL for example, that is more of a refinement on stuff that existed but it's still great, and many other indie games are like that. But the big stuff like X3, mount and blade or dwarf fortress, with huge and complex new gameplay are indeed quite rare. Even the more seemingly complex games like Skyrim have huge reductions in feature in comparison to the earlier titles. It's not that far fetched to say that if you are absolutely only focusing in gameplay the gaming industry is really desolate.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

I get the impression that program666 doesn't understand that good graphics don't necessarily have to be advanced graphics. Super Mario World has good graphics that serve the gameplay. Deus Ex has bad graphics and shiny floors that look like some poo poo out of Life of Pi.
you got this impression out of the blue sky

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Is that what you call your horrible posts?

everything may serve gameplay, music may cue people about stuff that is about to happen, sounds may provide auditive feedback, etc. But gameplay may still exist alone. This wasn't a part of the discussion in any moment and you still really wrong about graphics and gameplay going hand in hand

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Stux posted:

gamres who crave gameplay have been starvign since 2000. where tare the games with gameplay. wher ehave they gone? polygon investigates.

dude, you're a fanboy of sony, the company notorious for their endless stream of movie-games, stuff that I basically can't even look at. You're part of the problem and the last person that could mock my dumb post

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Stux posted:

bloodborne

the ps4 has one game, yeah

program666
Aug 22, 2013

if the ps4 ever gets a monhun plus a new disgaea I might think about getting one

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

disgaea 5 out by years end. bunch of crappy mon hun clones already out or announced
there is toukiden for PC, I want the real thing, in a big screen and a capable machine please

program666
Aug 22, 2013

precision posted:

At the moment I literally own more Vita games than PS4 games, however, this is mostly due to the fact that I am not a hoarder and when I'm done with a game I sell it

what percentage of the vita games are PC indie games?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Arena and Daggerfall have aged pretty terribly, I don't know why anyone would choose to play them over even Morrowind these days.

Procedural generation is really appealing for multiple reasons.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

hand crafted stuff is usually way better, in the sense that there is much more well done hand crafted stuff than procedurally generated stuff. Still, hand crafted stuff is much more of a driven experience, PG feels much more like you're actually exploring a world, so if you prefer the latter you might focus on the 5 games with good PG that exists so far.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Great Joe posted:

None of which have to do with making a nicer game and all of which have to do with taking work off of the developer.

this notion is really hilarious considering that procedural generation is so loving hard to be well implemented. Well, at least to me it seems much harder considering the developer will have to balance every element of his PG game against everything else, making no assumptions about the context.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I live in Brazil

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I called techtoy once to get tips for toejam and Earl and they gave me a huge string of commands that didn't work

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Baal posted:

How are you handling the Tony Hawk situation

what is it?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

program666 posted:

what is it?

oh, a girl got naked at some point, cool

program666
Aug 22, 2013

we also got this exclusive re-skin of wonderboy with a popular children comic book character

even as a kid I would notice that this didn't fit the game at all

program666
Aug 22, 2013

idgi

program666
Aug 22, 2013

we have awesome girls here in brazil

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

What PS2 games are you looking forward to in 2016?

Well, it is still the only worthwhile console since the snes

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Ekster posted:

Doesn't Brazil have/used to have some sort of insane import tariff for consoles produced outside of Brazil, which is the reason why Sega was so huge over there cause it was the only company who produced some of their consoles there?

It has a insane import tariff for everything but some few exceptions. In practice it doubles the price on anything. Considering our coin was only half of dollar value in the good times I used to pay about 4 times the dollar price on anything on amazon. Now our coin is even worse so I would be paying 10 times the value in dollar, but I stopped buying at amazon ofc

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The original Adventure Island-style Wonder Boy? Or the strange RPG-ish sequels?

I think there was a PC engine exclusive version of Wonder Boy in Monster World or something that was reskinned to follow a weird japanese collectible card-game's lore.

The original of the image I posted would be Wonder Boy in Monster LAND.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

You don't think there is a worthwhile console among the PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Atari Jaguar, PlayStation 4, and WiiU.

God that is so much dumber than my not liking Deus Ex.

too few games I care about in each console, I do emulate the wii, and used to emulate the n64 but I played like 3 games in each, kart, smash and party. Also I'll probably play all of the mario games at some point but there is just too many games and too little time. I guess if I had loads of free time I would bother with consoles.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I post between small breaks on my work of course, when stuff is compiling and poo poo like that, but I can't stop working completely and play a videogame.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Sure you can.

noooooo, I guess I'll be fired in 2 months or so now that I know that

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

turn that frown upside down

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I don't see the point of let's play, but I do feel like it's exactly like watching sports, also something I'll never understand what the appeal is supposed to be.

• Locked thread