Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cyberbird posted:

I haven't played any of the MGS games, but with everyone hailing MGSV as The Game To End All Games I've set myself to the task of playing every MGS title I have the hardware to play before August is over.

I've played a couple of hours of MGS1 and it's already the best PS1 game I've ever played.

1 (or Twin Snakes) is great

2 is just hours upon hours of contempt for the audience - fun to watch happen back in 2001, not fun to play. Story gets real huge and dumb because now Kojima can render faces, so strap in for cutscene upon cutscene. For the next 15 years.

3 was good at the time and if you're interested in crawling around on PS2-era vegetation I guess go have fun. The story is less stupid and convoluted than 2 by like an inch but that's really just testament to how stupid and lovely 2 was.

4 isn't worth buying a PS3 for and is just so full of MGS's terrible lore that you're going to spend hours wondering when you can get back to its mediocre gameplay.

Revengeance is the only one other than 1 that is a no-asterisk Good Game. Mostly because it's the only one whose writers aren't pretending that their lovely fingerpaintings are loving Renaissance art.

Ground Zeroes is better than 4, and thanks to Kiefer Sutherland's busy loving schedule Snake actually spends most of the game in a state of having shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Great Joe posted:

One of my most anticipated games has graphics that look like this

Innit pretty?

You can just play Outrun, you know

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wot's all this then

Assassin's Creed Unity 2 looks like it lives up to its predecessor

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Play licensed sports titles with yearly releases instead. I think the only football game is out soon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I bought Deus Ex when it came out. Most of what people gloss over because it's old was also lovely back then. It's really, really overrated.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

program666 posted:

What exactly is lovely about it? I only played it recently and I thought it was great.

The animations are terrible, the voice acting is terrible, the city levels are all just giant hallways, the only part of the story that ever actually works is when you bust out of the prison and it turns out you're in UNATCO HQ, the "stealth" relies on enemies that are more retarded than the goombas in SMB and man-sized grates acting like transit systems in top-secret facilities, the only projectile weapon that is the least bit satisfying to use is the sniper rifle that is useless until you're halfway through the game and even then you're using it to zoom in on terribly-animated retards you could just as easily walk up to and karate chop, Unreal Engine 1, the main character has nothing resembling an arc, and the multiple endings are basically the same "press X for Ending 1" poo poo everyone bitched about in Human Revolution. All of that made a 7.5/10 game in 2000 and it hasn't gotten better since.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The blue glowy sword is also incredibly stupid and perfectly illustrates that Ion Storm themselves didn't really buy into the progression of combat abilities mechanic/lovely combat excuse.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The game basically goes from funneling you into sloppy kill -> hide in a vent -> sloppy kill to giving you license to glowy stab errbody while absorbing bullet fire. But hey, it has lots of dialogue and poo poo to read so it must be really deep.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

program666 posted:

the dragon tooth breaks the game but saying "Ion Storm themselves didn't really buy into the progression of combat abilities mechanic" just because of that is bizarre.

Right, because them giving you a game breaking weapon for no reason at all makes tons of sense.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Colonel posted:

Complaining about JC Denton having a lack of character development is pointless since JC Denton is meant to be a blank player-insert protagonist.

The voice acting in Deus Ex in general is awful, but I think the voice actor for JC has specifically said he was told to put zero emotion into his dialog.

Human Revolution managed to give you a character that was a fairly blank slate while still giving him lots of in-world motivation that actually fit into the game's narrative.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

In Training posted:

What's wrong with that

It makes way less sense than the devs using it to put a bandaid over their game's sucking chest wound of a combat/stealth dichotomy. The combat was terrible and the stealth systems were rudimentary at best, so it was either give the player a glowy sword or risk nobody ever bothering to finish the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

At least in SS2 they don't begin the game by telling you you're a badge-carrying augmented badass agent then giving you the choice of a gun with an oscillating barrel or a piece of farm equipment to rescue hostages with.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I hated pretty much everything about this game, 7.5/10 lol.

I think a paid staff position at IGN is in your future.

It was still a game released 15 years ago that didn't have a high score list or floating powerups.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I still remember this song. Playing nonstop while I explored Hong Kong, which was basically the size of a shopping mall, like it was the theme to Super Mario Bros.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Colonel posted:

If you're going to complain about the soundtrack to any Deus Ex game, even Invisible War kind of, then I'm afraid I am just never going to be able to take your silly, foolish arguments seriously.

I bet you listen to game music in your car

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I honestly can't figure out if you're (program666) some kind of YCS parody of a game forum poster or what

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Holy poo poo play more RPGs

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

In Training posted:

Deus ex is probably one of the few good games ever made in the west

Doom was also made in Texas so you're obviously crazy

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

program666 posted:

Say what you will about Deus Ex voice acting, but if you only focus on gameplay, last of us is a lesser game, the entire AAA industry is lesser, and deus ex is probably not even among my top 10 games ever, that's simply true and you know that. You may appreciate other stuff that is not gameplay, but for me gameplay is principal, it's really easy to understand why people like it so much.

Graphics and gameplay go hand in hand, idiot. I bet you think social issues and economic issues can be walled off from each other, too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don't forget Battlecruiser 3000AD

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I get the impression that program666 doesn't understand that good graphics don't necessarily have to be advanced graphics. Super Mario World has good graphics that serve the gameplay. Deus Ex has bad graphics and shiny floors that look like some poo poo out of Life of Pi.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

program666 posted:

you got this impression out of the blue sky

Is that what you call your horrible posts?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Perfect Dark and GoldenEye are good games that are made great by talented artists working around pretty meager hardware. Basically the opposite of Deus Ex, where half baked ideas get pantsed by untalented artists with access to much better hardware.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

PD refines a lot of GoldenEye's gameplay, no doubt. It's kind of a shame neither game was made for a Voodoo-equipped PC.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Blast Corps rules, Jet Force Gemini is good, DKC is fine, DKC2 is good, DKC3 is fine, Diddy Kong Racing is good, RC Pro Am is good, Conker is fine, Deus Ex is poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bloodychill posted:

"Gamers who like gameplay have been starving since the early 2000's" is easily the dumbest thing uttered in one of these chat threads. Congrats program666, you did it

And I helped!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Colonel posted:

You both said horrible things, but I can forgive program666, because he is the Strongest Man

-Someone With An Anime Avatar

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I sold my Zelda Anthology and put the money toward XBox One digital purchases

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I've lost the ability to play a good number of games due to physical media and hardware failures. I have yet to lose any to "they shut down the service."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I don't ever remember saying that and if I did it certainly wasn't sincere.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sequels rule. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries is a sequel. So Many Me is not a sequel. Case closed.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The inherent greatness of its being a sequel is canceled out by the fact that it was made by inferior Japanese developers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Broken clock, etc

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not even sure why I own consoles at this point, I keep going back to PC even in the face of exclusives like Bloodborne

I'm sort of confused by that aspect of myself

There's really something to be said for laying on the couch with a gamepad

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

So someone remade the TOTAL RECALL NES game for mobile and then ported it to PC?

http://www.amazon.com/TOTAL-RECALL-THE-GAME-Download/dp/B00EKQXW5K/

Note: there is no Episode 2

drat even Half-Life got to Episode 2

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

Is there a thread for the new Battlefront or anything?

There's a Battlefield thread somewhere

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I liked Ground Zeroes but I worry that the full game is going to have too many eyeroll characters and moments. Every time I get into a Metal Gear game I get some sudden reminder, like a character pissing himself or a loving vampire with no explanation, that it's the product of inferior Japanese developers who watch too many American direct to video movies.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

America is the greatest country on Earth.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

America is the greatest country on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

program666 posted:

I live in Brazil

What PS2 games are you looking forward to in 2016?

• Locked thread