Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Levelling an Iksar Necro, got bored of Wakening and moved to twin giants in Frontier.
Since those are camped half the time, and chain-resisting slows when they dont insta-break roots i moved on to find myself in the giant fort in Burning Woods, currently lvl 56.84 now.

Kinda liking it a lot, and i noticed a Greater Warbone Skeleton roaming the front gate path a lot of times - so i thought "why not try undead-charming that guy since wiki stats say hes pretty awesome appearently".
But, of course, i dont have the fabled pre-nerf-CoS (and prolly never will) so heres my question:

Is it feasible to try fighting with a charmed undead pet that could potentially wipe the floor with me if charm broke out of the blue if you dont have the good CoS, and if so, how exactly would you go about it (in detail)?
My only experiences with undead charming so far have been rather frustrating at low levels, when i gave it up until a short episode in KC at 55 which ended up with my pet breaking charm and slapping me to paste in the absolute clown fiesta that is KC-courtyard-okta-pulling-group, so im hesitant to even try to utilize it.

(Which is also why i wont go to HS basement.)

e: im on Blue, didnt find a separate thread for the server, dunno if its much of a difference though.

You use invis to break charm if you do not plan on keeping a charmed mob, to kill it when it is low health and you can easily kill it for extra xp for instance. A clicky invis like CoS offers is a bonus but not a necessity; any invis will do from any source to break charm.

When charm breaks half way through a fight and you can't get another one off before you have 2 mobs pounding your face, you FD and pray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Ive read up on (by which i mean watched videos about) charm-killing vs other undead like in HS, but i was rather thinking about about substituting my 37-41 pet spell with a 42-49 charmed pet that appearently can quad and stuff.
I just dont want to have that quadding pet in my face at fates whim, and with random charm breaks i feel thats a thing thats going to happen.

Ppl also say handing your pet -Mres gear helps to NOT break charms, or re-charm after a break, but idk if thats something that really makes a difference large enough to simply having the normal pet that will *not decided to kill me.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ive read up on (by which i mean watched videos about) charm-killing vs other undead like in HS, but i was rather thinking about about substituting my 37-41 pet spell with a 42-49 charmed pet that appearently can quad and stuff.
I just dont want to have that quadding pet in my face at fates whim, and with random charm breaks i feel thats a thing thats going to happen.

Ppl also say handing your pet -Mres gear helps to NOT break charms, or re-charm after a break, but idk if thats something that really makes a difference large enough to simply having the normal pet that will *not decided to kill me.

Gear definitely helps with charm killing, both negative MR and haste gear, though the level difference between you and the pet is the biggest factor in getting charm to stick and last. The trick to charming high end mobs and going to town with them is grouping with a healer: a druid can snare your pet, a shaman can malo it for easier recharming, and a cleric can keep you alive through a recast. Otherwise you would need to be able to create enough distance safely from your pet for FD/recharming.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
sounds like a hassle, think ill just stick with my basic skeleton then and hold out for EoT

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Charming is faster xp than anything else even if you die a lot. Do it, the worst you can lose is xp, which you can just earn again

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Levelling an Iksar Necro, got bored of Wakening and moved to twin giants in Frontier.
Since those are camped half the time, and chain-resisting slows when they dont insta-break roots i moved on to find myself in the giant fort in Burning Woods, currently lvl 56.84 now.

Kinda liking it a lot, and i noticed a Greater Warbone Skeleton roaming the front gate path a lot of times - so i thought "why not try undead-charming that guy since wiki stats say hes pretty awesome appearently".
But, of course, i dont have the fabled pre-nerf-CoS (and prolly never will) so heres my question:

Is it feasible to try fighting with a charmed undead pet that could potentially wipe the floor with me if charm broke out of the blue if you dont have the good CoS, and if so, how exactly would you go about it (in detail)?
My only experiences with undead charming so far have been rather frustrating at low levels, when i gave it up until a short episode in KC at 55 which ended up with my pet breaking charm and slapping me to paste in the absolute clown fiesta that is KC-courtyard-okta-pulling-group, so im hesitant to even try to utilize it.

(Which is also why i wont go to HS basement.)

e: im on Blue, didnt find a separate thread for the server, dunno if its much of a difference though.

The CoS is mostly a utility thing, not a requirement... and it doesn't help at all on random charm breaks. That said, I'd encourage you to farm plat and get one, it makes life much nicer on a necro. I farmed Felwithe guards on my necro 51-54 and made more than enough plat to buy a CoS.

I soloed/duoed charming in HS north to 60, but I also have a pocket cleric and guildies I can harass to log him in... otherwise I'd have done basement for ease of access.

Charming is my favorite thing in this game. It's OP af. I primarily play enc because of that, but I rolled a necro for funsies and still ended up just charming to 60.

In general, you have to assume the charm is going to break and prepare accordingly.
- Have Shieldskin up always (the jasper one, not the peridot one)
- Keep everything you can rooted
- Stay a sufficient distance to get spells off on breaks
- Use Screaming Terror a lot
- Use FD as needed
- Have Harmshield memmed for FD fails

Also, lull is super useful. If you lull (numb the dead) your pet and FD it, it memblurs like 100%. So, you can lull -> FD -> immediately stand and start doing whatever. This is useful for both bad situations and for regenning a pet (they regen 5%/tick when unaggro).

Once you get the swing of it, your summoned pet will feel weak when you use him again. EoT is a bitch compared to a charmed quadding skelly.

Plus, once you get comfortable you can kill whole groups of mobs at a time by "reverse charming". This is much easier with a CoS, but doable without. Charm a mob, send it at a group of 2-3+, then back it up and root all those mobs together. Once the pet is low, break charm and kill the ex-pet for full exp. Then charm another of the group and repeat until they're all dead. 4 exp hits later and you wont even think about memming that summon pet spell again.

Hibajubwa fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 9, 2024

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Or charm the crypt spectre named and never get erect off anything less.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Charming makes your summoned pet feel like garbage only good for afk killing lovely goblins

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Week 1 top 20 damage parse from one of the easier Plane of Sky bosses on Quarm. Pets are still king but geared rogues are getting up there. Monks usually do decent damage too, I think we had only one and he was dead somewhere

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Flavahbeast posted:

Week 1 top 20 damage parse from one of the easier Plane of Sky bosses on Quarm. Pets are still king but geared rogues are getting up there. Monks usually do decent damage too, I think we had only one and he was dead somewhere

First time playing vanilla EQ lol? That's always been the case till kunark weaponry gets going.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah I never did any raids in EQ, I had a vague idea what classes do good damage but its interesting to see the numbers

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Hibajubwa posted:

The CoS is mostly a utility thing, not a requirement... and it doesn't help at all on random charm breaks. That said, I'd encourage you to farm plat and get one, it makes life much nicer on a necro. I farmed Felwithe guards on my necro 51-54 and made more than enough plat to buy a CoS.

Mh, on Blue that thing is, for those that dont confuse it with the nerfed version, 125k

Still i might give charming a try, sounds like something i should have done at least once.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Mh, on Blue that thing is, for those that dont confuse it with the nerfed version, 125k

Still i might give charming a try, sounds like something i should have done at least once.

Oh, lol. My CoS on green was 10k.

Get a goblin ring instead. Same utility for charming. https://wiki.project1999.com/Goblin_Gazughi_Ring

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Does invis vs. animals concern skeleton monks?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Any spell tagged as an invis spell will break charm. Invis v animals, undead, whatever.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
good to know, thanks for the tip

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Also, hide.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
from what?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

People play necro with races other than Iksar?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cmdrk posted:

People play necro with races other than Iksar?

Only before Kunark is released.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

Sankis posted:

You've never truly lived if you weren't there for Project M on live servers. What an absolutely bonkers idea. Just the devs throwing ideas at the wall and briefly having it on test servers before bringing it to the live servers.

It was too beautiful (and broken lmao) for this world.

For anyone unfamiliar, a bit after Velious launched we got this:

This was in a client where buffing npcs and stuff was possible. So if you could communicate that you were a monster player it was not unheard of for someone to buff you (though equally likely someone would kill you immediately.) It didn't last especially long as you can probably imagine, though it supposedly ended up inspiring the Darkhollow expansion a few years later

I played that. I remember in Toxx(?) seeing another spider and i jumped. It jumped in response. Jump! Jump! And then we went our way to kill some players. We got one before i was killed and lost my spider partner.

I also remember in eastern commons someone in OOC saying "what the gently caress theres a snake camping my corpse"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Zodium posted:

project m was maybe the greatest era of everquest

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Question on money:

Developing an itch for a twink, probably shaman, maybe monk, so we are talking funghi (40k) maybe haste belt/cloak (20k) and decent weaponry (7-8k) plus jewelry and stuff, so lets round up to 70k as a goal.
I found that im not one for hunting jackpot items as i do not have the mental endurance to camp a ghazugi ring for 40 hours or something, so probably hard "cash- vendor trash" is the best option for one like me.
But where?

Lots of people seem pretty sure that Felwithe is (one of) the best place(s) for earning cash.
Zone has a 24 minute timer, with 20pp/guard and i think 5 of those are accessible from the bridge?
Thats doesnt sound too bad, but also not the end of all means.
Hill/sand giants are pretty camped i see, seafuries are nerfed but maybe still ok-ish?
I was even thinking spectres for scythes, or other city guards, but ive never gotten into hard-farming anything in this game so im pretty clueless.

So, goons, whats your recommendations for earning such fortunes if you were a 58/59 (iksar) necromancer?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

I helped a friend get 80k for his shaman epic and we spent weeks doing different things. He would camp the syrin hair hood, which would always sell fairly well in EC along with sow pots he made and hp/ac rings I made. Together our major cash spot was tar goos in WL, as a druid I was able to easily port out, sell and come back. The trick is to have several things going and to keep at it, I guess.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Sebillis bugs for the gem drops?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

PoM maybe or felwithe slow as it is

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Geonids in WL have great gem drops. They have pretty high HP and the shamans are a pain though. Might not be worth it if you're not also XPing.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Question on money:

Developing an itch for a twink, probably shaman, maybe monk, so we are talking funghi (40k) maybe haste belt/cloak (20k) and decent weaponry (7-8k) plus jewelry and stuff, so lets round up to 70k as a goal.
I found that im not one for hunting jackpot items as i do not have the mental endurance to camp a ghazugi ring for 40 hours or something, so probably hard "cash- vendor trash" is the best option for one like me.
But where?

Lots of people seem pretty sure that Felwithe is (one of) the best place(s) for earning cash.
Zone has a 24 minute timer, with 20pp/guard and i think 5 of those are accessible from the bridge?
Thats doesnt sound too bad, but also not the end of all means.
Hill/sand giants are pretty camped i see, seafuries are nerfed but maybe still ok-ish?
I was even thinking spectres for scythes, or other city guards, but ive never gotten into hard-farming anything in this game so im pretty clueless.

So, goons, whats your recommendations for earning such fortunes if you were a 58/59 (iksar) necromancer?

seafuries are worthless

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Fwiw, poison wind censer is the only weapon you need until 50. After that, unless you want something fancy, one of the wisdom spears should work fine. Ashen war spear from OOT is an easy, if long, camp. For shield, the best bang/buck is probably epic shield (shield of falsehood). It should be trivial to do at 50 if you can catch the rathe mountain spawns. Mistemoore shield is also great.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Fungi is the big one and they run 50k on green

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Fwiw, poison wind censer is the only weapon you need until 50. After that, unless you want something fancy, one of the wisdom spears should work fine. Ashen war spear from OOT is an easy, if long, camp. For shield, the best bang/buck is probably epic shield (shield of falsehood). It should be trivial to do at 50 if you can catch the rathe mountain spawns. Mistemoore shield is also great.

i was originally planning on an etched icewurm fang (which is about 7k on Blue), but mostly because i blindly followed the twinking advice from a buddy.
Also fungi (35-40k), thats basically a given.
Ive snatched a cheap Sarnak Battle Shield for offhand, with a Slime Coated Harpoon for main (toggling with an even cheaper Wraithbone Hammer).
Need to read up on ashen warspear,doesnt ring a bell currently.

For haste ive gotten Schw, haste belt or cloack would be nice but not a must have, as the cloak is 40 and the belts start at 18.
Jewelry is prolly 1-2k depending on what ill go for - 2x 5/55 are possible to get for 350-400, 35/25 ears are 400 each, and a 55/55 neck goes for 500 right now.

Since i also probably want to get an EoT for my necro, thats another 20k i have to cough up, but i tell myself its an investment to farm even better,
so that brings the total estimated cost to about 80k, 42 of which i collected while levelling to 58.8
Maybe EoT isnt that big of a deal, but people seem pretty adamant about it.

Spear is probably the least important item right now so 70k is possible, which still means a close 30 to grind out.
Oh yeah and a JBB at 50 of course, another 20k but thats future talk.

As of now ill aim for Fungi + EoT i think?

At least i wont run out of stuff to farm for.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 23, 2024

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Fungi Staff is pretty solid too fyi. It's not crazy expensive. You can't use it until like 40, but it's a pretty good 2h blunt weapon while leveling. The effect stacks with the tunic. You can just click it off any time to drop the snare effect.

It combines well with the SoW clicky boots you get from the Shaman epic questlne. The fungi staff regen will override SoW, but having a clicky for SoW negates that.

Beyond haste and regen stuff, go all out on HP/AC gear. You can face tank pretty much everything with slow. Especially once you can use the JBB at 46.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 23, 2024

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
You won't be using Emissary of Thule until level 59, I'd consider that 20k part of the leveling process and not trade for that spell up front.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pillow Armadillo posted:

You won't be using Emissary of Thule until level 59, I'd consider that 20k part of the leveling process and not trade for that spell up front.

Well the necro is 58.8 so its around the corner, the twink is going to be a shaman.

I could simply take it easy and not twink him to boot, but then id have the constant feeling of "could have done better" everytime something goes wrong i guess.
Or i could just take the fungi and jewelry and just play the character.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Yolomon Wayne posted:

i was originally planning on an etched icewurm fang (which is about 7k on Blue), but mostly because i blindly followed the twinking advice from a buddy.
Icewurm fang is kinda pointless for the price. If you're face-tanking with haste, you're better off with a Granite Face Grinder for like half the plat. By the time that spear procs, you're getting towards the end of your face-tank run anyway. You can do hasted face-tanking with GFG (or PWC for super cheap) until early 40s, then just grab a cheap howling harpoon / sarnak battle shield for better stats.

quote:

Also fungi (35-40k), thats basically a given.
Ive snatched a cheap Sarnak Battle Shield for offhand, with a Slime Coated Harpoon for main (toggling with an even cheaper Wraithbone Hammer).
Need to read up on ashen warspear,doesnt ring a bell currently.
They're thinking of the Ebon War Spear, but unless you really need the MR, slime coated is better. You're probably best off with howling harpoon/dark ember for piercing/1hb to keep your skills up at early levels and for mainhand/range stats later on. Dark ember has HP, which is nice, and HH can go in range when you're not using it.

quote:

For haste ive gotten Schw, haste belt or cloack would be nice but not a must have, as the cloak is 40 and the belts start at 18.
SCHW is totally sufficient for early-level shaman face-taking. If you've got money to burn, sure, go for something nicer, but I don't think it's necessary compared to some of the other big ticket shaman items.

quote:

Jewelry is prolly 1-2k depending on what ill go for - 2x 5/55 are possible to get for 350-400, 35/25 ears are 400 each, and a 55/55 neck goes for 500 right now.
Sounds solid until you can get a 6-neck. You'll also want either a Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring or Spyglass/Kromzek scope as soon as you get cannibalize. I prefer the earring since the scope effect drives me insane.

quote:

Oh yeah and a JBB at 50 of course, another 20k but thats future talk.
JBB clicks at 45 (if you're not iksar) and is definitely worth the cash when you get there.

quote:

As of now ill aim for Fungi + EoT i think?
Fungi is definitely the most important item, by far.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Malaria posted:

It combines well with the SoW clicky boots you get from the Shaman epic questlne. The fungi staff regen will override SoW, but having a clicky for SoW negates that.

Yeah, if you have someone willing to help you get them, the Black Fur Boots start clicking at lvl 10 and are amazing. They instaclick SOW, so they can work as a global cooldown reset in outdoor zones too.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Emissary of thule is nice but charms can carry you as well, join a guild and get zheart imo

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
best part about eq emulated servers is the insane people

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

truavatar posted:

Icewurm fang is kinda pointless for the price. If you're face-tanking with haste, you're better off with a Granite Face Grinder for like half the plat. By the time that spear procs, you're getting towards the end of your face-tank run anyway. You can do hasted face-tanking with GFG (or PWC for super cheap) until early 40s, then just grab a cheap howling harpoon / sarnak battle shield for better stats.

This is what I was trying to articulate but couldn't. There are a ton of budget weapons that are nearly as good if not better than icewurm fang, that's not really the spot to drop tons of cash. ++sarnak battle shield, that thing is a dope pixel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is there such a thing as a goon guild on blue?

I really dont wanna drop-trade a fungi when i buy one, and i dont think i can trust the guys in EC.

Otoh ive met people with vindicator breastplates on their lvl 20s, they wont give much of a poo poo about a lowlife fungi