Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I can't imagine blue has many scammers left. They'd have left ages ago since everyone would know them by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
You can actually pay Dial to transfer stuff, especially if you need your gear moved to a level 1 in Everfrost or something, they'll just run it over.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Meatgrinder posted:

You can actually pay Dial to transfer stuff, especially if you need your gear moved to a level 1 in Everfrost or something, they'll just run it over.

cool, good to know!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
there are no goon guilds on p99, just guilds with goons inside

theres not enough goons for an effective guild

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
the guild is the discord posted in the op

unironically

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Fun blast from the past today - a gmail account I made back in 2010 to support another EqEmu account full of alts to hold extra shiny brass idols for use on pre-Kunark P99 Blue raids is expiring if I don't log back in! This important part of the internet must be preserved for posterity!

I can look back on this kind of stuff fondly now, but man oh man I do not miss it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Fun blast from the past today - a gmail account I made back in 2010 to support another EqEmu account full of alts to hold extra shiny brass idols for use on pre-Kunark P99 Blue raids is expiring if I don't log back in! This important part of the internet must be preserved for posterity!

I can look back on this kind of stuff fondly now, but man oh man I do not miss it.

I've been having fun with Quarm. I'm only around level 28 though.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Fun blast from the past today

In the years you've been gone, I've managed to raise my gnome tinkering from 50 to 160. lol

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
For various reasons, I stopped keeping up with quarm - anything interesting happen lately?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

cmdrk posted:

For various reasons, I stopped keeping up with quarm - anything interesting happen lately?

Secrets went to the hospital for taking too much adderall/meth recently I think? Bout it, but I've mostly been doing takp crap and haven't looked in a couple weeks.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah not a lot new the last couple weeks, there's probably going to be some kind of seasonal event next week (but Secrets is busy moving, so maybe not.) Biggest recent change is making the island 6 and 8 bosses in Sky drop 2 quest items instead of 1

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

shirunei posted:

Secrets went to the hospital for taking too much adderall/meth recently I think? Bout it, but I've mostly been doing takp crap and haven't looked in a couple weeks.

Aradune would be proud.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Noah posted:

Aradune would be proud.

The Vision is intact.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Any of you have a Fungi I could borrow on blue? I still pop into this dumb game a few times a week for some short solo sessions. I really like beating down mobs melee style.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

First of all, you do miss it, dont kid yourself, we're just too busy to play p99 anymore. I miss EQ every time there's a lull in my desire to play any of the countless other games out right now.

Second, I should probably try to get back into my Rogue's account and see what gear i have lying around that i can hand to a goon or two, probably not much because i think i swapped everything out with HoT gear/sky gear.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Dude if you resurrected Swashy, I'd pull my Iksar warrior out of retirement.

You're not wrong though. Like 80% of this game is unplayable with a job and kids, but I still enjoy the parts of the nostalgia trip.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Dude if you resurrected Swashy, I'd pull my Iksar warrior out of retirement.

You're not wrong though. Like 80% of this game is unplayable with a job and kids, but I still enjoy the parts of the nostalgia trip.

don't worry, you're safe. Swashy stays buried, i don't know what gear is even on him. I do the smart thing and play TLPs on live until PoP and quit. lmao

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It seems the game Monsters and Memories is intentionally recreating EQ1. What are the easiest classes/roles to fill in a party in EQ1?

I posted a while back about advice on traveling around in EQ1 as a kind of MMO tourist; as someone who'd started with WoW I'd always wanted to go back and see the earlier game world. The advice I got then worked well and I visited most of the major cities and saw what it was like to level through a couple zones.

But the character I played (druid?) was rather "busy", that was an OK compromise soloing because it gave me a lot of utility, But I love playing mechanically simple classes in MMOs; my favorite in WoW is paladin because you just turn on your seal an auto attack, and then in a party you just heal the tank with the same spell over and over. I also prefer armor wearing characters over mages.

So, what are the easiest martial type classes to play in a group? My friends are almost certainly going to play M&M and I just want to chill out, watch the auto attack go or hit the one button repeatedly, and mostly just chat in discord.

Is warrior simple or am I going to have to work to keep aggro? That always deterred me from playing a tank in WoW, I don't like being the center of attention or the shot caller.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Warrior is a bad pick because they don't tank well until raid time. Shadow Knight and Paladin are your best bet if you want to do what Warrior should be able to do as they have spells that allow them to keep aggro or to snap aggro on them from adds. And groups always need tanks - when I played Paladin on p99 I was getting tells from groups across the world because nobody wants to play melee besides sickos like me. It sucked our second time through because my buddy and I rolled Rogue and Shaman and we very rarely could find tanks leveling but when we did things went 10x faster.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sounds like my favorite EQ class can just also be my favorite WoW class.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

It seems the game Monsters and Memories is intentionally recreating EQ1. What are the easiest classes/roles to fill in a party in EQ1?

I posted a while back about advice on traveling around in EQ1 as a kind of MMO tourist; as someone who'd started with WoW I'd always wanted to go back and see the earlier game world. The advice I got then worked well and I visited most of the major cities and saw what it was like to level through a couple zones.

But the character I played (druid?) was rather "busy", that was an OK compromise soloing because it gave me a lot of utility, But I love playing mechanically simple classes in MMOs; my favorite in WoW is paladin because you just turn on your seal an auto attack, and then in a party you just heal the tank with the same spell over and over. I also prefer armor wearing characters over mages.

So, what are the easiest martial type classes to play in a group? My friends are almost certainly going to play M&M and I just want to chill out, watch the auto attack go or hit the one button repeatedly, and mostly just chat in discord.

Is warrior simple or am I going to have to work to keep aggro? That always deterred me from playing a tank in WoW, I don't like being the center of attention or the shot caller.

in non raid situations, your best tank was/is an enchanter charm pet, with a monk to OT/pull. Enchanter charm is absolutely loving insane. Chanter/Monk/Shaman/Bard/Cleric/Whatever. Rogues are pretty one/two button, but almost every class in EQ is pretty low button, and you can macro a few lines to do everything you need in a few small buttons. i would have my attack/hide/backstab macro'd to a single button, if M&M allows things like that, you can eventually set yourself for success and do exactly a one button press while bullshitting in discord.

iNteg fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 6, 2024

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Rogues are one button but I found myself enjoying my Rogue alt more than I thought I would. Their dps is absurd and positioning for backstabs is pretty fun. Some of their utility is fun as well like being able to stealth which is very handy for corpse retrieval on wipes.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

monsters & memories devs are p99 players so expect enchanters to be less insane

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

an iksar marauder posted:

monsters & memories devs are p99 players so expect enchanters to be less insane

so your saying we get 2 min of charm time with no break so we can pee?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I hope so, enchanters are overpowered and p99 isn't the best possible version of classic eq

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

an iksar marauder posted:

I hope so, enchanters are overpowered and p99 isn't the best possible version of classic eq

yeah its quarm

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I fell off Quarm in December or so. How's it doing now?

On a similar note, how are the P99 numbers?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Sankis posted:

Should have scheduled Kunark earlier, 9 months of classic is a lot. It's still pulling around 900-1100 primetime population though

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Quarm is hanging in there. It's basically just catering to players with regular events, instanced raids, legacy loot (everyone has a GBS, fishbone earring, jboots, ...). Apart from that it's what you'd expect: pet guild, no staff online and very slow handling of tickets on Discord, but it all seems to be chugging along.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've been having a good time on Quarm. I like the quality of life changes they've implemented but it still feels like actual Everquest where it's not totally easy mode and still requires somewhat of a time investment to level etc.

It's a good balance between the total hardcoreness of p99 and the complete easy mode you'd see on like the Easy server or whatever

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

Sankis posted:

On a similar note, how are the P99 numbers?

Server population has definitely taken a hit over the last couple months. I think a lot of people are bored of vanilla EQ. Agree with the other person who said Kunark should have been launched earlier.

Instances are part of the problem (not that I dislike them). Since you're not having to compete with other guilds to raid planes or dragons, you get gear pretty quick. As a result, I'm having to spend a lot of time in my least favorite zone, Plane of Sky, grinding quest items. It's still preferable to no instances and having the big zerg guild (project faceless) monopolizing everything.

but good god, kunark can't come soon enough. Quarm was basically my first time playing in 20+ years and the world feels so much smaller than I remember. I want more zones to level in. I want to make an iksar. I want to raid something other than the planes and dragons.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

knob posted:

I want to raid something other than the planes and dragons.

Hehe

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

knob posted:

Server population has definitely taken a hit over the last couple months. I think a lot of people are bored of vanilla EQ. Agree with the other person who said Kunark should have been launched earlier.

Instances are part of the problem (not that I dislike them). Since you're not having to compete with other guilds to raid planes or dragons, you get gear pretty quick. As a result, I'm having to spend a lot of time in my least favorite zone, Plane of Sky, grinding quest items. It's still preferable to no instances and having the big zerg guild (project faceless) monopolizing everything.

but good god, kunark can't come soon enough. Quarm was basically my first time playing in 20+ years and the world feels so much smaller than I remember. I want more zones to level in. I want to make an iksar. I want to raid something other than the planes and dragons.

Ya, I kind of wish they went with a 6 month timeline for each expansion, but Kunark isn't too far off. I imagine the pop bounces back a good bit for the pre-launch event onward.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
I got a character (monk) to max level on Quarm, and have really enjoyed just wandering giant zones and crawling the out of the way dungeons. Hoping to get into raiding, anyone have recommendations for good guilds that don't require attendance for raids?

I was in a group where folks decided to get transphobic in chat while talking about the devs, which didn't sit well - would be glad to avoid that as much as possible.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

GrayDorian posted:

I got a character (monk) to max level on Quarm, and have really enjoyed just wandering giant zones and crawling the out of the way dungeons. Hoping to get into raiding, anyone have recommendations for good guilds that don't require attendance for raids?

I was in a group where folks decided to get transphobic in chat while talking about the devs, which didn't sit well - would be glad to avoid that as much as possible.

I'm in Squirrels who seem to have a raiding alliance going though I cannot be arsed to figure out how it is organised. Seems fairly relaxed though. Guild itself is chill and helpful.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I just started raiding in Sentinels. They seem pretty chill so far and have no attendance requirements or DKP. Everyone has been pretty nice so far.

Works for me as well because they raid a bit later and I can't do early raids.

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

I am in Squirrels as well, and the raids are super relaxed, and everyone is quite helpful. No requirement other than obviously 46 to enter planes. Just show up and get loot! Tons of no DKP raids that are just rolls for loot, and since it is an alliance, dragon nights are multiple dragons.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I keep getting into a loop of "poo poo i need to keep levelling" and "gently caress it, cazic gators are boring as gently caress". literally no motivation to play despite wanting to have a level 50.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Dizz posted:

I keep getting into a loop of "poo poo i need to keep levelling" and "gently caress it, cazic gators are boring as gently caress". literally no motivation to play despite wanting to have a level 50.

Killing gators is boring as gently caress. Killing any mobs in this game is boring as gently caress. You need to find some friends or a group of people you enjoy shooting the poo poo with WHILE you're killing boring rear end gators. I met the best man at my wedding playing this dumb game and server. He's the OP of the thread. Unless you're a masochist and have an insane desire to just slam through it you gotta make it fun for yourself any way you can.

I enjoy the progression, i like getting the gear and doing the camps. getting my epic at like level 23 or some poo poo on my Rogue also made it fun, but it really was the guild i was in and the people I was playing with that really made p99 enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

My problem is that i often don't have a lot of time where i can just sit in a full group at some spawn for 7+ hours in a row so i try to find small pockets where i might be able to spend like 50 minutes here or there getting a small pocket of exp. doesn't help that the gators also don't give poo poo money wise.

E: tho dont get me wrong it'd be great to find someone to duo or more and just gently caress around, but everyone just seems intent on being greedy with pulls and wiping the group [I loving hate Paw so much]