Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Played a good bit over the last few days, got my new druid up to level 9. Feels good. Haven't seen this many people live on a server since ... 1999, pretty much. This feels so right.

Modern EQ1 servers are completely hosed with all the changes they made.

Gonna be awhile before I can step foot in Velious but considering back in the day my highest characters were a 20 rogue and 20 enchanter, it won't be long until I'm already doing stuff I never got a chance to back in the day.

Right now I'm just clearing good ole crushbone and turning in belts, anybody got any pro tips on fast leveling?

There's something about the way everquest lets you just get lost in a big forest that makes it completely unlike any modern MMO, except maybe EVE. I missed this. It feels like proper Dungeons & Dragons while everything else (from WoW to FFXIV) is doing some crazy high-fantasy cartoon stuff that just doesn't scratch the same itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
So, Velious! Soon the hybrid penalty will be gone(?)!

Logged in, and missing almost all of my gear. Anyone got any low level SK stuff on blue they don't want? In as Trebbek, level 9 SK.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pwnz0r posted:

On red, I personally sat at the kael/WL ZL for a few hours, and I must have coined a dozen people for 200pp alone, in total group got around 90 kills, more then half were otw to get their CS key.

Bragging about being in the guild that's making Velious unplayable right now? ... very nice

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I cant believe BFGs are already patched off the servers

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I cant believe BFGs are already patched off the servers
They were? Not classic.

Guess I won't bother with my ranger.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005

ekeog posted:

Bragging about being in the guild that's making Velious unplayable right now? ... very nice

You don't even know what guild I am in.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pwnz0r posted:

You don't even know what guild I am in.

haha - is it true TMO kicked you out?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Siets posted:

Yeah work on getting that port and post again in the thread when you are there and I can log in and help ya out.

Ok Im logged at the TT/Ej zoneline.

Corpse shouldn't be too far from there, as that's where I was headed when I died.

Let me know when you have some free time man.

damastas
Oct 15, 2012

hayden. posted:

Taken got AoW down to 72%, I landed a few nukes before dying. He's susceptible to Lure of Ice strangely, not Lure of Flame. We first attempted AoW with BDA but the number of people desyncing made it impossible, didn't get below 99% I think.

Taken also took down King Tormax and someone won his head for 2900DKP (a shitload, was one of the highest balances in the guild). Pretty fun intro to Velious.

You're in Taken? So am I. Didn't know there were any other goons there.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

damastas posted:

Hey Taken goons. I've got an Iksar warrior (Skullmonkey) in BDA. When you're not raiding, hit me up - we should group some Dragon Necropolis or something.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm also in BDA with my Wiz (Khysanth) for Velious fun. Retired my old raiding Cleric Booter (former IB/TR).

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

damastas posted:

I'm also in Taken but haven't really been active for close to a year. My shaman's name is Sabbra, I'm trying to find time to play more but I work a lot (which I didn't when I apped). Fun fact: I designed Taken's current website graphics :)

Dirt
May 26, 2003

You around at all today, Siets?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

You around at all today, Siets?

I can be on in two hours from this post. I will log on Xeirak then and look for you. Just send me a tell. (Let me know if that time does not work for you though.)

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Siets posted:

I can be on in two hours from this post. I will log on Xeirak then and look for you. Just send me a tell. (Let me know if that time does not work for you though.)

Thats perfect man, ill be around. Thank you!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

damastas posted:

I joined as a recruit beginning of July, I haven't been able to play much though and I don't have the resist gear though, so I assume I am soon to be booted.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Are all the Goons on Red, or is there some still in Blue? I'm thinking of giving this a whirl for nostalgia sake, but PvP scares and confuses me.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Conskill posted:

Are all the Goons on Red, or is there some still in Blue? I'm thinking of giving this a whirl for nostalgia sake, but PvP scares and confuses me.

There are a few of us still on Blue.

Send a Tell to Innernette/Doctorsteve/Rottenatomy and ill invite you. Easiest place is get an invite is EC, I always have at least one character logged in the tunnel.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Logging in Xeirak now, Dirt.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got a game mechanics question:

My main on Red is currently dead in a dungeon. If I log in an alt and continue playing on the same account and same server, will that cause the resurrection timer to tick down on my main? Or do I have to be specifically logged into my main character to have his resurrection timer tick down?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Hey Taken goons. I've got an Iksar warrior (Skullmonkey) in BDA. When you're not raiding, hit me up - we should group some Dragon Necropolis or something.

I'm in for some DN. I haven't logged in yet, giving it a few weeks before I get my huge EQ boner on, but swashy is 60 and ready to murder things.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Siets posted:

I got a game mechanics question:

My main on Red is currently dead in a dungeon. If I log in an alt and continue playing on the same account and same server, will that cause the resurrection timer to tick down on my main? Or do I have to be specifically logged into my main character to have his resurrection timer tick down?

Any character on the account will keep the rezz timer moving. It sucks, I agree, and is one of the reasons why hardcore players make new accounts for alts.

Where'd you die? I have a cleric if you're not in Seb or something scary.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Any character on the account will keep the rezz timer moving. It sucks, I agree, and is one of the reasons why hardcore players make new accounts for alts.

Where'd you die? I have a cleric if you're not in Seb or something scary.

Got a res at the entrance, but now I just need a port out. I do not trust myself to feign flop past all those casters to get to the zone out.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Siets posted:

Got a res at the entrance, but now I just need a port out. I do not trust myself to feign flop past all those casters to get to the zone out.

Haha what zone

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hexel posted:

Haha what zone

Old Sebilis entrance. :(

I died to a bad pull in disco room. I have no idea how to pull that dungeon, yet of course group was all "Ooh monk! You get to pull!" Sneak pulling never seems to work as it feels like most mobs are "tied" together somehow. I also have no idea how to pull casters safely. They always cast on me and interrupt my feign death. I try to time it in between casts but it never seems to work. Also those frogs nuke for over half my health sometimes even with resist gear.

Enchanters should pull more often. :colbert:

Siets fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 6, 2015

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I remember back in like 2002 pulling as a 60 rogue with throwing daggers. Sometimes I would outright ASSASSINATE the mob on pull (the lower level frogs, I dont remember their names).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Conskill posted:

I'm playing on Blue if only because there's way more active players on Blue than Red.

Hit level 12 on my druid last night :toot: SoW is close, I can feel it.

If any of you goons know of a guild I could shack up with on Blue that'd be sweet.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I tried to look up pulling mechanics on the wiki but did not find very much. It's just a bunch of drab "a good monk can split rooms!" Well no poo poo Sherlock... how about you elaborate on how that works?

Sometimes sneak pulling will magically bring only one mob to me out of a pack that is standing together. Other times, it will just bring the entire goddamn circus. What is the deal? Does anyone know more about in-game mechanics with regards to pulling? I feel like some mobs are bound together by some sort of invisible chain link where they psychically know their buddy was attacked and will always join in regardless. Is this true, or just some weird confirmation bias of mine?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Siets posted:

So I tried to look up pulling mechanics on the wiki but did not find very much. It's just a bunch of drab "a good monk can split rooms!" Well no poo poo Sherlock... how about you elaborate on how that works?

Sometimes sneak pulling will magically bring only one mob to me out of a pack that is standing together. Other times, it will just bring the entire goddamn circus. What is the deal? Does anyone know more about in-game mechanics with regards to pulling? I feel like some mobs are bound together by some sort of invisible chain link where they psychically know their buddy was attacked and will always join in regardless. Is this true, or just some weird confirmation bias of mine?

Yes that's definitely true. All mobs have an agro radius and they also have a "call for help" radius, I'm not sure if its the same length. Their level versus your level has an effect on this too. So maybe slightly lower level mobs you're getting away with solo pulling but then higher level ones are calling for help? Not sure. Or maybe its just a matter of being sliiiightly too close together or slightly far enough apart?

Ideally you'd be using a Druid spell like Harmony, or a Chanter or Bard spell to do the same (can't remember the names) which calms the enemies and lowers their agro radius and call for help radius, that way you can pull one at a time. (not the same as mez spells which CC so you can kill one at a time after you agro)

Sneak lowers the agro radius and call for help radius too, but then if you pull the guy through another person's radius he'll call them anyways. So even if you make the radius smaller you still have to be careful because its not zero. You have to be real careful on the order you pull each mob in a room so they don't overlap each other. Since you can't see the radius its tricky.

What you can do as a monk also is pull the whole room, then feign death, and then wait until half of them have made it back but half of them haven't yet, and then you get up from feign death. The ones who haven't gone back shouldn't reset their agro yet and will come back after you but the ones who made it back will reset and shouldn't. It can be tricky to time and I'm no monk player so I don't loving know what I'm talking about but I know monks do that poo poo all the time.

Sorry I can't be more specific, somebody else can probably say the exact formulas or something.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 6, 2015

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
I haven't played on p99 but if its anything like classic when you feign death mobs start to walk back to their spawns at slightly different rates, when you stand up when most are reset but one or two are still walking back you should only agro those few or one, provided they're sufficiently far from the pack

its one of those things with a little practice becomes muscle memory

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes that's definitely true. All mobs have an agro radius and they also have a "call for help" radius, I'm not sure if its the same length. Their level versus your level has an effect on this too. So maybe slightly lower level mobs you're getting away with solo pulling but then higher level ones are calling for help? Not sure. Or maybe its just a matter of being sliiiightly too close together or slightly far enough apart?

Ideally you'd be using a Druid spell like Harmony, or a Chanter or Bard spell to do the same (can't remember the names) which calms the enemies and lowers their agro radius and call for help radius, that way you can pull one at a time. (not the same as mez spells which CC so you can kill one at a time after you agro)

Sneak lowers the agro radius and call for help radius too, but then if you pull the guy through another person's radius he'll call them anyways. So even if you make the radius smaller you still have to be careful because its not zero. You have to be real careful on the order you pull each mob in a room so they don't overlap each other. Since you can't see the radius its tricky.

What you can do as a monk also is pull the whole room, then feign death, and then wait until half of them have made it back but half of them haven't yet, and then you get up from feign death. The ones who haven't gone back shouldn't reset their agro yet and will come back after you but the ones who made it back will reset and shouldn't. It can be tricky to time and I'm no monk player so I don't loving know what I'm talking about but I know monks do that poo poo all the time.

Sorry I can't be more specific, somebody else can probably say the exact formulas or something.

I play a rogue, so take this with a grain of salt.

With sneak engaged you can avoid having mobs who have their backs to you engage. So pull best you can - then run out past aggro range of their return point and FD. upon getting up get sneak engaged asap as they start to walk away and tag the closest mob to you. The other mobs which all have their backs to you should not engage. Of course be weary, with sneak you are slow. If a mob hits you and disengages your sneak any mobs still within social aggro range may re-engage.

If you have a rogue with you he can help here quite a bit with sneak and a bow to get a single as they all begin to walk back.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

You actually want to make sure Sneak is really active too before pulling, sometimes you can hit the button and its like it doesnt stick. So hit the button and strafe a little back & forth, if you are moving at like 1/4 speed then Sneak is really active. You can then make your throw and any mob on side of or with its back to you will not see you and ignore the pull.

The cap is 113 by the way so make sure thats maxed too

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Dipped my toe in last night, the nostalgia is as awesome as predicted. My little Erudite Enchanter nearly got murdered by a snake before I remembered I couldn't rely on magic alone at early levels to kill poo poo.

Might migrate over to a Magician since I never played one of those, but I recall illusions and improved invisibility were both very fun tools.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Conskill posted:

Dipped my toe in last night, the nostalgia is as awesome as predicted. My little Erudite Enchanter nearly got murdered by a snake before I remembered I couldn't rely on magic alone at early levels to kill poo poo.

Might migrate over to a Magician since I never played one of those, but I recall illusions and improved invisibility were both very fun tools.

Enchanter and Magician were my favorite classes in vanilla EQ. Magician gets the coolest pets and is great for solo but Enchanter gets all the cool utility spells.

Half of why I play EQ is just to wander around and see the sights so illusions are great for that. Plus doing things like turning into the Kelethin elevator buttons so newbies can't figure out how to get up, hahaha. (Does that count as griefing against 1999 rules or anything? Used to do the same thing with treeform and blocking off the Felwithe entrance)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Enchanter and Magician were my favorite classes in vanilla EQ. Magician gets the coolest pets and is great for solo but Enchanter gets all the cool utility spells.

Half of why I play EQ is just to wander around and see the sights so illusions are great for that. Plus doing things like turning into the Kelethin elevator buttons so newbies can't figure out how to get up, hahaha. (Does that count as griefing against 1999 rules or anything? Used to do the same thing with treeform and blocking off the Felwithe entrance)

Hear, hear! Last night on our new dark elf caster alts, my friend (enchanter) and I (wizard) ventured from Neriak all the way to Highhold Keep. At level 8, he already had invisibility and a number of transformation spells. We ran all the way across both Commonlands, found our way through Highpass to the keep, and then once inside he transformed into a human and made his way to the erudite NPC to buy his latest pet spell, followed by an easy gate home. The exp bar never moved the entire night, but I still had a lot of fun with the whole experience.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Ramulack posted:

I remember back in like 2002 pulling as a 60 rogue with throwing daggers. Sometimes I would outright ASSASSINATE the mob on pull (the lower level frogs, I dont remember their names).

Those were the loving DAYS. I loved my rogue, but there is no way I would play one on 99 in a semi casual way rather than the full time job it used to be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Siets posted:

Hear, hear! Last night on our new dark elf caster alts, my friend (enchanter) and I (wizard) ventured from Neriak all the way to Highhold Keep. At level 8, he already had invisibility and a number of transformation spells. We ran all the way across both Commonlands, found our way through Highpass to the keep, and then once inside he transformed into a human and made his way to the erudite NPC to buy his latest pet spell, followed by an easy gate home. The exp bar never moved the entire night, but I still had a lot of fun with the whole experience.

You know I was just talking to a friend of mine about this. Its weird, everybody used to talk about what a massive grind EQ was (and oh poo poo, it totally is) and by comparison WoW has massively reduced how long it takes to reach max level and do raiding and stuff.

But... WoW has streamlined everything to the point where its all pretty samey and boring. Grab quests, kill dudes, move here, kill dudes, go back and turn them in and move on. Its all so on-rails that you're just rushing to get it all done with as soon as possible. Its a chore. And as a result, even if it takes less time, it feels like a grind because you just want it over asap and you're rushing through.

EQ on the other hand... its like the journey is more important than the destination. I've had a blast just running around zones exploring and getting lost, and camping crushbone with strangers and actually talking to them and forming a party and working together, holy poo poo, MMOs were supposed to be social games?! Who knew?

Even though EQ is way more grindy... it doesn't feel as grindy. If that makes sense? Course I'm probably massively influenced by rose-colored goggles here, but then again all I can think of doing after work is logging in and looking for the same people I was camping with the last few days.

Also the slower pace of EQ is pretty chill, good game for watching Netflix and smoking :catdrugs: while you play. I'm gonna laugh my rear end off at the republican debate tonight while I'm leveling.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
I wasn't kicked from TMO, that would have implied I were in it to start with. The app process and getting tagged by officers who were already trading all their items back to blue while 'actively recruiting' (yes globally auctioning on the main officer characters that people are told to message for recruitment). A bunch of my friends and former guildmates joined, I tagged along on some raids but never pushed the issue of getting tagged or dkp since I didn't need the items they offered me. But I personally witnessed TMO wipe to draco with 30+ before getting engaged to PVP by bad decisions, decisions only a person unfamiliar with PVP would make in-haste thus causing wipes. All in all I hoped TMO would have stayed on red, but they don't appear to be doing so. The fact that day 1 they tried to rush Empire to velious instead of cleaning up free and easy kunark targets was a bad decision as well, again this is a red server when you can only field ~40 people, some sub 60s and the rest you are playing with don't know each other well enough to setup assist trains let ALONE go against 100+ empire its no contest.

Anyway Pilsner if you can look into it, Great Divide whenever you zone into it with the zliz map is giving a "cannot find Great Divide" error. The names and everything seem to line up(----side issue but not a big deal i copy pasted the old south karana quillmane maps over to v5, when I don't farm cloaks for friends I make them use that if they have no access to a bard/ranger to easily track quillmane and learn the spawn)

[Sat Aug 01 22:09:09 2015] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
[Sat Aug 01 22:09:24 2015] You have entered Great Divide.

I did notice its as greatdivide1.jpg so I added in same image as just greatdivide.jpg but haven't tested it yet to confirm it works. Not sure why the rest of the maps would work fine with 1s and GD wouldn't

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Mechanics question. Is Improved Invisibility (and Improved Superior Camo) improved insofar as it cloaks against typical attempts to see invisibility, or only improved in the sense that it has a static duration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Pwnz0r posted:

I wasn't kicked from TMO, that would have implied I were in it to start with. The app process and getting tagged by officers who were already trading all their items back to blue while 'actively recruiting' (yes globally auctioning on the main officer characters that people are told to message for recruitment). A bunch of my friends and former guildmates joined, I tagged along on some raids but never pushed the issue of getting tagged or dkp since I didn't need the items they offered me. But I personally witnessed TMO wipe to draco with 30+ before getting engaged to PVP by bad decisions, decisions only a person unfamiliar with PVP would make in-haste thus causing wipes. All in all I hoped TMO would have stayed on red, but they don't appear to be doing so. The fact that day 1 they tried to rush Empire to velious instead of cleaning up free and easy kunark targets was a bad decision as well, again this is a red server when you can only field ~40 people, some sub 60s and the rest you are playing with don't know each other well enough to setup assist trains let ALONE go against 100+ empire its no contest.

Anyway Pilsner if you can look into it, Great Divide whenever you zone into it with the zliz map is giving a "cannot find Great Divide" error. The names and everything seem to line up(----side issue but not a big deal i copy pasted the old south karana quillmane maps over to v5, when I don't farm cloaks for friends I make them use that if they have no access to a bard/ranger to easily track quillmane and learn the spawn)

[Sat Aug 01 22:09:09 2015] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
[Sat Aug 01 22:09:24 2015] You have entered Great Divide.

I did notice its as greatdivide1.jpg so I added in same image as just greatdivide.jpg but haven't tested it yet to confirm it works. Not sure why the rest of the maps would work fine with 1s and GD wouldn't

I think its because the map app calls it The Great Divide instead of Great Divide. I've been having the same problem.