Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do illusion spells break when you zone? Its definitely intentional design since normal buffs carry through zones. Is there some way you could exploit that or something?

I just remember in vanilla being screwed when my dark elf enchanter zoned through freeport and got caught by a guard with my illusion down. Right now I'm playing a good character so its no big deal, but I'm curious why it was deemed necessary in the first place.

You're putting too much thought into this, remember you're talking about Everquest, the game that puts +int on druid planar gear. EQ was from an era before RPG's were streamlined into bear rear end turn-in quests gearscores and LFG que buttons. A time when you could order Pizza Hut without tabbing out of your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Just nostalgia'd all over firehose style.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

You're putting too much thought into this, remember you're talking about Everquest, the game that puts +int on druid planar gear. EQ was from an era before RPG's were streamlined into bear rear end turn-in quests gearscores and LFG que buttons. A time when you could order Pizza Hut without tabbing out of your game.

Hahaha, fair enough :cheeky:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Oh hey I had no idea you guys were goons, I was the shaman in that group Gnoll incase you couldn't tell I was a goon from my barely comprehensible and probably-the-manifestation-of-a-deep-rooted-mental-illness OOC ramblings -- Sup brewskis

poo poo Gnoll your a goon too? Get yourself into Thunderdome, it seems we have more goons there then we thought. Infact I thought I was the only one until I saw Laharah post here today. You did a good job with us last night, and I hope you had as much fun as I did, because I was having a blast. MM has always been my favourite zone since the early days, and I always get a buzz grouping there.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

poo poo Gnoll your a goon too? Get yourself into Thunderdome, it seems we have more goons there then we thought. Infact I thought I was the only one until I saw Laharah post here today. You did a good job with us last night, and I hope you had as much fun as I did, because I was having a blast. MM has always been my favourite zone since the early days, and I always get a buzz grouping there.

Yeah Gnoll's in Thunderdome, I just roll in /anon because of my sweet NPC name. Thunderdome is definitely the guild new goons should be tagging in though! They have constant leveling groups and really helpful and dedicated players like Avomon. For returning players who miss <SLAMDUNKATRON> you will find yourself right at home in <THUNDERDOME>. It's basically the same guild minus the goon /gu banter, but they actually get things done unlike us lazy goons. There is no reason to be untagged, or tagged in any other guild if you're below level 50 UNLESS you want to PK all the thunderdome people while you're leveling!

I've been on red server for a while, Gnoll's just a new alt account I'm working on. Definitely had a great time grouping with you guys and I'm glad to hear you guys are both liking the red server! If either of you (or any goons!) end up sticking around on here don't hesitate to message me on my main Anime. I especially go out of my way to help new players who last long enough to get to level 50+, and I run nightly small 1-2 group raids that poo poo out bard gear like nobody's business that no bards ever show up to and take maybe a half hour. I used to main a bard and I'm good at bard PVP so I can also answer any questions you have about the class/what and how to farm etc.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 21, 2015

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

bard gear like nobody's business that no bards ever show up to and take maybe a half hour. I used to main a bard and I'm good at bard PVP so I can also answer any questions you have about the class/what and how to farm etc.

Dont give fat lutes to Toccatta he'll levitate it stuck on a tree or something lol

Now if you want a real irresponsible bard loving poo poo up just pass all that on down here :p

I have a PVP question -- is it possible to even win against twinks at lower levels? What is your tactic? Out twink?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The Velious armor is soo sexy it hurts

Troll
Jan 15, 2012

MageMage posted:

I have a PVP question -- is it possible to even win against twinks at lower levels? What is your tactic? Out twink?

Pretty much no. Unless things have changed melee twinks are functionally invincible to low level casters. If they have a fungi and you don't you won't win either.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

MageMage posted:

Dont give fat lutes to Toccatta he'll levitate it stuck on a tree or something lol

Now if you want a real irresponsible bard loving poo poo up just pass all that on down here :p

Hang out with a 60 druid w/ thorns and spam dispels on the twink and they won't be able to do poo poo & will occasionally die if your group has enough melees with SOW.

Survival strategies:
* Remember twink names, remember dungeon safe-spots. Camp or gate when twinks show up in zone. They will be gone in 15 mins tops.
* Carry SOW pots and a spyglass, bury a sow at least 8-10 buffs deep, spam the spyglass when they start pumicing and run like hell for the zoneline. Plug for 15 minutes.
* Get them to train themselves on NPC's then recover your corpse quicker and camp their corpse until Loot n Scoot. hint: doing damage to rogue twinks breaks their invis.
* Group with druids and wizards, have them keep ports on bar to escape when twinks show up in zone (mid level strategy)
* If you are in an outdoor zone/dungeon, have a bard in your group. Selo's song > twinks.

Not dying to twinks is the best form of PVP, they put a lot of time and effort into their characters and the thing that makes them the most mad is not getting kills. Most of them are mediocre players who twink because they're bad at 60's pvp, so it's easy to get a lot of them to make mistakes. Oddly enough, the highest score PK twink ever on the server used some cheapo 500p sword, blackened iron, and didn't break rules or grief newbies who don't know the rules.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 22, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Hexel posted:

The Velious armor is soo sexy it hurts

what set is that from?

I only have Velious pants and they have a dragon on the side im not even sure Hot Topic would have stocked them back in 1998

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Lakedaimon posted:

what set is that from?

I only have Velious pants and they have a dragon on the side im not even sure Hot Topic would have stocked them back in 1998

Looks like Black Pantherskin, but I haven't seen a full set yet so I'm just guessing.

Velious factioning is a slog so far. I'm working on CoV and getting into Kael groups when I can, but only playing in 1-2 hour bursts makes it feel like a Sisyphean task.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lakedaimon posted:

what set is that from?

Its the Black Pantherskin set. I bought 10 of 12 pieces last night for like 50k =( It'll probably be like 500 per piece in 6 months but :effort:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Friend of mine came over and we were gonna play a bit but it wouldn't let us both log in, I guess because it saw two people on the same IP and they have rules against multiboxing.

So is playing P99 on a LAN like pretty much verboten? Or is there some workaround, or can I like petition a GM or what?

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
You need an ip exemption http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142220

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Friend of mine came over and we were gonna play a bit but it wouldn't let us both log in, I guess because it saw two people on the same IP and they have rules against multiboxing.

So is playing P99 on a LAN like pretty much verboten? Or is there some workaround, or can I like petition a GM or what?

You need to apply for an IP exemption on the p1999 forums I think. They will check on you in game too . One goon got banned for a month awhile back for trying to do a quick transfer with his and his wife's account by himself.

If you actually have two people playing you will be fine if a gm shows up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sweet! Hit 20, died and de-leveled, dinged back to 20, and on my way through Highpass I checked for Dyllin Starsine for the Testament of Valenar quest. I haven't seen him pop yet but hey, there he was! He conned blue but there were some red con patrolling smugglers so I asked a local bard who was high level to help out, she ran over but I killed Dyllin so fast I managed to get out before any smugglers agro'd so I guess I could have soloed it after all. Good deal, on my way to Queynos now to turn this in and grab the book. :dance:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for! Glad to see there's a process in place, I don't mind explaining my situation to people. I'm definitely not trying to box. I have a hard enough time not dying with one char lol.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Summoned a :downs: Cylops/Hill Giant hybrid in WC while waiting for a port.

That thing just doesn't look right.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

One of my great joys back in 2001 or whenever Velious released on live was monster summoning a sand giant in oasis and running to the docks with it. Griffon in EC tunnel was fun too.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery
Started back on red a bit with a rogue that's 16 now and was lookin for goons to level with. Who should I get in touch with in Thunderdome or otherwise? Rogue is Xetrin

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dirt posted:

Summoned a :downs: Cylops/Hill Giant hybrid in WC while waiting for a port.

That thing just doesn't look right.

Haha, I saw that in-game. Weird looking.

Hexel posted:

One of my great joys back in 2001 or whenever Velious released on live was monster summoning a sand giant in oasis and running to the docks with it. Griffon in EC tunnel was fun too.

My favorite things back in the day were charming young kodiaks in nektulos and then going invis next to the newbie log, turning into a tree in front of Felwithe to block the entrance, and turning into an elevator button next to the lifts in Kelethin so newbies couldn't figure out which one to click on. :cheeky:

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

a real jerk posted:

I have a wizard and play quite a bit. Post here tomorrow when you're playing

Im online tonight until about midnight est. I'll be on again tomorrow afternoon most likely.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Hey, yet another victim of not binding the Autoattack key to something other than loving A. It killed me back in 1999 and it just got me again.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQef-p_QkwM

I like to imagine that this kind of person is everyone I group with.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

lemonslol posted:

If I could find all my original maps and other swag I would probably have them hung up in my office...just to annoy my wife if nothing else.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

aparmenideanmonad posted:

If I could find all my original maps and other swag I would probably have them hung up in my office...just to annoy my wife if nothing else.

once in like 2011 I was at a flea market and some man had all these cloth EQ maps, I asked him about them and he said he found them in the trash of a college campus. I bought all of them hung them up all over my home. I wish I knew where they were.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Sooo I spent a couple hours killing Seafury's in OOT today.

:psyduck:

I get it now. The hype is real.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Dirt posted:

Sooo I spent a couple hours killing Seafury's in OOT today.

:psyduck:

I get it now. The hype is real.

How long did it take before you could get this camp? I imagine its a camp and not first to engage?

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Thanks everyone who replied about getting my rogue butt to hate. Since I died on the last attempt to nab the book solo and saw a decent number of mobs who saw through my hide I decided that I felt too squeamish to try again.

I am now camped in the southern corner most raids camp to break the zone. I occasionally hit a /who all hateplane macro but I guess since velious is out theres not much reason to raid hate anymore?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Ramulack posted:

How long did it take before you could get this camp? I imagine its a camp and not first to engage?

It's FTE on all mobs there. I use throwing daggers lol.
I never waited, I just got there and started killing.

There was anywhere from 2 to 4 other people there with me. I usually never had much problem finding pulls though. Nobody was a dick either, everyone kinda did their own thing. It does kinda suck though when one Shaman can sit there and kill 5 at once(Root/Epic). It takes sooo long and slows down repops, same with druids/wizards quadding them. The Quadders are quick to kill them though, and then have to sit and med so its not as bad.

Overall though it was way less annoying than doing Hill Giants. I had so many lovely encounters in Rathe Mountains I have lost count. A lot more money too. I made 5k in like ~5 hours between last night and today.

Biggest annoyance there is people killing the tainted Seafury, which spawns a Corrupted Seafury. Those things are red to me at 49, and summon. There were 3 up at one point, but I worked with a couple other dudes there to get rid of them after it got real annoying.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 24, 2015

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Where do they announce/list their scheduled downtimes, does anyone know? And how long do they last? I was just getting ready to finish my Stein of Moggok when there suddenly appeared a 15 minute countdown, I was lucky to get off the boat in OOT.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

lemonslol posted:

Haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hMPljgII-k

Good to listen to, though. Going to fire up the original XMI files and listen to them right now with the correct soundfont. :D

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Has anyone ever watched this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rpxQwZUIQ0
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Hey, yet another victim of not binding the Autoattack key to something other than loving A. It killed me back in 1999 and it just got me again.

I bound it to Q for awhile but then I accidentally fat-fingered it on a guard and got myself smashed good, so I moved it again. :v:

lemonslol posted:

loving lol.

I'm not embarrassed to admit I have a complete in box copy of Everquest, although I have quite a few classic PC games. None of the expansions though, lost those long ago.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I bound it to Q for awhile but then I accidentally fat-fingered it on a guard and got myself smashed good, so I moved it again. :v:

loving lol.

I'm not embarrassed to admit I have a complete in box copy of Everquest, although I have quite a few classic PC games. None of the expansions though, lost those long ago.

Mine is set to 1 lol

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

iNteg posted:

Mine is set to 1 lol

1 is for scrubs who want to waste precious hotbar space. ~ is where it's at.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

1 is for scrubs who want to waste precious hotbar space. ~ is where it's at.

I tie mine to all my movement keys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For me ~ is target nearest, 1 is auto-attack and 2 is assist.

then 3-7 are bound to things like /loc, /corpse, etc.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Anyone else feeling the Velious pain at level 60? I've died so many times I nearly lost the level.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Anyone else feeling the Velious pain at level 60? I've died so many times I nearly lost the level.

I ate one death with a 100% loss, so I could get that Adarra's bow of the Unseen from the ring quest line.

I'm now back to 100% of 60. #neverdies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Yeah im down 35% on my monk and 20% on my shaman. Both where maxed so its not a big deal but i'll end up having to done some exp or something.

Its tough to find the time though. The time I save to play I want to spend raiding not leveling up.

We ran some chardok groups to help warriors and monks get exp back so I think thats going to be happening more and more.