Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Anyone else feeling the Velious pain at level 60? I've died so many times I nearly lost the level.

Oh wow. I never hit max in EQ so I never even thought about the idea of hitting max level and then falling back down again from post-max deaths. That's insane.

I guess that's everquest for you. :darksouls:

On the one hand it'd be nice if you got locked in once you hit the cap but on the other hand I guess people could be pretty careless then, its nice having videogames where death actually has an impact and makes you really dread bad things happening to your character. Oof that sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow. I never hit max in EQ so I never even thought about the idea of hitting max level and then falling back down again from post-max deaths. That's insane.

I guess that's everquest for you. :darksouls:

On the one hand it'd be nice if you got locked in once you hit the cap but on the other hand I guess people could be pretty careless then, its nice having videogames where death actually has an impact and makes you really dread bad things happening to your character. Oof that sucks though.

at least it's not a hell level like the 50s. Couple hours in Howling Stones last night got me almost two blues and a Sash of the Dragonborn. That dungeon still rules.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
And this phenomenon is why, when Luclin and AAXP showed up, I was like...WHAT THE gently caress WERE YOU THINKING DEVS. Anyone not in the XP group on Velious raids was often in the red and struggling to keep 60. Making me XP grind even more on top of a full raid schedule was just cruel.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Hey nerds. 96.7% XP rezz :smug:

or was that a Luclin thing? I forgot.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hey nerds. 96.7% XP rezz :smug:

or was that a Luclin thing? I forgot.

No seriously, pulling, tanking, or debuffing you often die enough that even with 96 rezzes you eventually lose a level. Welcome to Velious.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I keep seeing mentions of a Recycle server, but despite all my googling I can't find anything official on it. Before I get my hopes up too high, what exactly has actually been said/promised by P99 staff?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Worst feeling in everquest: Logging in to your character at their bind point, naked, with no idea how you died or where. :ohdear:

Luckily that wasn't my situation, I just didn't know exactly how I died, but I could guess. And I knew where. Whoops.

Was grinding out 24 last night with a group in lake of ill omen, got it down to one yellow bubble and although I was feeling kinda tired (and a little drunk) I decided I could probably ding in less than an hour and I should just stick it out. Woke up passed out on top of my bed about an hour later, look over and my character is naked. Welp.

Ran back to corpse and managed to loot it without issue using invis and logged off. No biggie. Checking the chat log it looks like some high level dude trained a bunch of mobs through our area after I nodded off?

Everquest.

Anyways I'm just a bit from 24, I'll def get it tonight. Then new spells, and just 5 levels to go before I can ferry guild mates around. (And teleport strangers for mad cash)

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

retpocileh posted:

I keep seeing mentions of a Recycle server, but despite all my googling I can't find anything official on it. Before I get my hopes up too high, what exactly has actually been said/promised by P99 staff?

Sirken - some lead gm dude - mentioned it off-the-cuff on a twitch cast and it generated more excitement than I believe they anticipated.

It'll probably be a few years down the road sadly.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2022470&postcount=395

Rogean posted:

Maybe you wouldn't have annoyed the staff if you didn't grief everyone off the server so you can avoid actual competitiveness, ensuring yourself uncontested raid mobs. Red has basically turned into a private copy of blue for a single guild, who are afraid of letting anyone else rise to challenge them.

And on top of that you're acting like pve badasses when you aren't.

Red has consistently been a pain in the rear end for the staff ever since it was opened. The attitude of the players is abysmal. You've scared off more guides than I can count.

Since you guys seem to think you're so great at PvE, I'm going to issue a challenge.

Tunare has yet to be killed on either server. The first guild to kill it on either server will get 3 Guise of the Deceivers. If Empire loses this challenge, their entire guild will be transferred to blue.

To keep things fair, Growthplane on blue will be loaded with the Red server's ruleset. This means pvp will be enabled with the same rules as red, and mechanics such as duck interrupts will behave the same as red. Additionally, SoulFire, Reaper of the Dead, Prayers of Life, and Ivandyr's hoop will not work in Growthplane.

What say you, Empire? Do you accept the challenge, or will you decline?

Rogean very mad about video games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:munch: Dunno about y'all but I find this to be loving hilarious.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
If Empire gets transferred to blue does this mean Red 99 will have like 50 people on at prime time hours?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This server is run by weirdos.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I dunno that 3 guises or pride are worth it to blue players for the cost of having Empire on the server...especially if Tunare is still on her original loot table.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hey uh... some more dumb newbie questions that I'm having trouble getting answered through google or the wiki :shobon:

If an item has a proc, I guess that has a level requirement and there's no way to see what level it requires in-game?

If an item has an effect, that's something you trigger, it doesn't proc on its own right? Do you just right click on the item in your inventory? Or drag it to your hotbar and press the button? either?

If the item has an effect an it says "any slot", does that mean any equipped slot or any slot period? Can you use it from inside a bag?
Stuff like leatherfoot raider skullcap. Only halflings can equip, so does that mean only halflings can use the teleport? Not that I need it personally, just curious.
Then again potions say "any slot" so does that mean you can use them from in a bag?

I guess that's the difference between "any slot" and "any slot / can equip" ? Does "combat" effect slot mean it has to be equipped as primary or secondary, or that it has to be used during combat, or that it procs during combat, or what?

Thanks much.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Level reqs on procs (or clickies) aren't visible in game, no. They were originally discovered by trial and error and, obviously, we know all of them now.

Item effects include everything from procs like Ykesha on a SSoY, to clickies like grim aura on a Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring, to worn effects like Haste on an FBSS.

"Any slot" on a clicky item means that you can use it from inventory or when equipped. You just can't have it in a bag - it has to be in a normal inventory slot. This usually means you can use the clicky effect even if you aren't the appropriate race/class to wear the item. The WC gate on Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap is one such effect. DE Illusion on the original Guise of the Deceiver is another.
"Must equip" means that you have to have the item equipped in order to use it, so you have to be the appropriate race/class in order to use the effect. The DE Illusion on Mask of Deception is like this so you must be a bard or rogue to use it.

"Combat" means it's a proc and you have to be hitting stuff with it equipped for it to have a chance to go off. Higher Dex increases this chance.

And even though you didn't ask about it "Worn" means that you have to be wearing the item for whatever effect it has to work (see Fungus Covered Scale Tunic vs. Fungus Covered Great Staff).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Level reqs on procs (or clickies) aren't visible in game, no. They were originally discovered by trial and error and, obviously, we know all of them now.

Item effects include everything from procs like Ykesha on a SSoY, to clickies like grim aura on a Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring, to worn effects like Haste on an FBSS.

"Any slot" on a clicky item means that you can use it from inventory or when equipped. You just can't have it in a bag - it has to be in a normal inventory slot. This usually means you can use the clicky effect even if you aren't the appropriate race/class to wear the item. The WC gate on Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap is one such effect. DE Illusion on the original Guise of the Deceiver is another.
"Must equip" means that you have to have the item equipped in order to use it, so you have to be the appropriate race/class in order to use the effect. The DE Illusion on Mask of Deception is like this so you must be a bard or rogue to use it.

"Combat" means it's a proc and you have to be hitting stuff with it equipped for it to have a chance to go off. Higher Dex increases this chance.

And even though you didn't ask about it "Worn" means that you have to be wearing the item for whatever effect it has to work (see Fungus Covered Scale Tunic vs. Fungus Covered Great Staff).

Thanks a bunch. I had kinda figured most of this like the stuff I asked about before but with EQ its all clear as mud in-game, so its good to get a confident answer.

Are tradeskills worth the investment on 1999? Looking at most of them it'd cost a good bit to level up, and then you can't even make much that's good with it.

Like why would you waste time leveling tailoring just to make some +AC gear when people already know where all the best stuff is that gives you good stats and how to farm it? There's a few odd items that seem useful, but for the most part it seems not worth bothering with. Or am I missing something?
I guess jewelcrafting seems useful, but the other ones not so much.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 25, 2015

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Your feet feel quick.
Your feet feel quick.
Your feet feel quick.

Took the plunge for 7k from Veulaven, and I already know it was totally worth it. So much for saving for Holgresh Beads though!

Anyway, I'm back in Kunark trying to raise my 2HB skills...and it's so drat slow. Anyone recommend anything to speed it up?

*edit*

Zaphod42 posted:

Are tradeskills worth the investment on 1999?

No, and yes. In classic, most trade skills are fairly expensive to raise with limited payoff. Also note that given the lifespan of the server all trade skills are essentially covered.

The following I consider "good" trade skills:
Alchemy for shamans (duh) - everyone loves pots!
Fletching for rangers - make your own arrows to save money!
Jewelcraft for enchanters - everyone loves jewelry!
Tailoring for druids and casters - backpacks and other cool gear!

Other than that, a few high end quests like Coldain Shawl and Coldain Ring make good use of trade skills.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 26, 2015

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Anarch posted:

Your feet feel quick.
Your feet feel quick.
Your feet feel quick.

Took the plunge for 7k from Veulaven, and I already know it was totally worth it. So much for saving for Holgresh Beads though!

Anyway, I'm back in Kunark trying to raise my 2HB skills...and it's so drat slow. Anyone recommend anything to speed it up?

From what I recall, DEX governs how fast your melee skills increase in level, so put on some dex gear and find a low blue mob and slowly annoy it to death?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yep, get dex and swing as often as you can - use something with low delay and get haste if possible. If you're bad enough that soloing with it is an issue then level in a group or just spend your lfg time beating on other people's mobs (but make sure you let them know you're practicing and not ksing so they don't freak out).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Welp. drat Everquest.

Got to 24 and got wolf form, had fun running around in wolf form. Everybody seemed pretty chill to me, even guards that used to con ready to attack like the Ogok guards chill out when I'm in wolf form and let me not only pass but even buy and sell from vendors.

So I get pretty comfortable with wolf form, I'm over in kunark and I head to Firiona Vie and

An explorer hits you for <damage>
An explorer starts casting a spell

What the gently caress? So everywhere else wolf form is safe but in Firiona Vie of all places the NPCs are KOS to wolf form? Is that how it was in classic? :v: Feels just a little unfair. Even the guards seemed fine with it but the explorers freak the gently caress out. And sure enough when wolf form isn't active the explorers all con warmly.

I mean I guess it makes sense that some explorers see a wolf in the city and beat him up, but considering all the other towns in Norrath seem to be chill with dogs running wild, that's a bit of a surprise.
Or was that a bug? I'm pretty sure I didn't hit autoattack or anything like that. I guess I could put wolf form back on and go con the explorers but I don't want to take the risk.

Anarch posted:

No, and yes. In classic, most trade skills are fairly expensive to raise with limited payoff. Also note that given the lifespan of the server all trade skills are essentially covered.

The following I consider "good" trade skills:
Alchemy for shamans (duh) - everyone loves pots!
Fletching for rangers - make your own arrows to save money!
Jewelcraft for enchanters - everyone loves jewelry!
Tailoring for druids and casters - backpacks and other cool gear!

Other than that, a few high end quests like Coldain Shawl and Coldain Ring make good use of trade skills.

Yeah Alchemy and Jewelcraft definitely seem worth it. I'm a Druid though so I was looking at Tailoring but it seriously seems like the only things worth making are backpacks. The armor is pretty much entirely all worse than the gear I've already got. In fact, other than Wu's its all just +AC which seems really pointless with the flowing economy of 1999. Wu's set has some stats but still not great, and monk only!

The only exception is the Tunare's set, which requires over 200 skill and barely gives a couple points of WIS and CHA, and also requires blacksmithing components. Not nearly worth the investment. I'll just take advantage of other people who have tailoring if I need it.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
What happens if you get aggro on something you would not normal have due to an illusion if you click it off? Does the mob stay aggro until you zone?

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Pretty sure they'll continue attacking you, things don't forget in EQ. Its not a bug, FV is unsafe for wolf form, finding that out is almost like a rite of passage for young druids. I don't remember if it was like that on live since I never played a druid.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
To remove aggro you can either zone or use one of several mechanics. Removing the offending illusion is not one of these. Neither is gating somewhere else in zone. Memblurring with enchanter spells, taking a Call of the Hero (will soon require a distance check to prevent people from abusing this to deaggro healers and DPS on Velious raids), accepting a rez spell, and Feigning Death and waiting long enough are some of the more common ways to ditch aggro.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Anyone hunting the Ornate Velium Pendants in Icewell? My cleric is non-KoS and I will heal you if we can farm up a couple. Can take some hours. Probably being nerfed in the next patch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just shy of level 26 :toot:

So the wiki has a whole lot of information in the mechanics section about how much XP you need per level and where the hell levels are and whatnot, and how much xp each party member gets based on their level and race/class modifiers and stuff, that all makes sense.

But one thing I've never seen explained which isn't clear from the game (because its all just relative bars moving) is the exp you get per kill based on what the monster cons to you, or based on the level of the monster, or what?

Like lets say it takes 3x as much xp to get from 55 to 56 as from 50 to 51 or whatever. Does that really mean it takes 3x as long, or does that mean that mobs at level 55 are giving out more exp? Or both? (As long as the ratio wasn't equal you could have different fractions)

E: Looks like there is a tiny section about mob exp on the game mechanics wiki, so it is based on both con AND level, but con only matters as far as dark blue or up? So the only reason you get more exp from a red mob than a dark blue is because its slightly higher level? But light blue and green inherently give less than they otherwise would? Makes sense.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

khysanth posted:

Anyone hunting the Ornate Velium Pendants in Icewell? My cleric is non-KoS and I will heal you if we can farm up a couple. Can take some hours. Probably being nerfed in the next patch.

I really need to get one, but will have to take the faction hits as it stands. How can Dain/Coldain faction be improved if I decide to go KoS?

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I really need to get one, but will have to take the faction hits as it stands. How can Dain/Coldain faction be improved if I decide to go KoS?

Dain faction is kind of a pain, but you can kill mobs in the Tormax area in Kael to improve it. You only need it if you want to do the ring or shawl quests, though.

Coldain faction is pretty easy, just slaughter poo poo in Kael. Plate cycle is a good camp and will get you CoV faction as well.

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I make the best space doll houses ever
Got Luclin models to work BTW. You just have to load the Luclin globalload.txt file after logging in.

Use the normal one to log in to character selection, log out to account sign-in screen, replace the globalload file with the luclin-edited one and log back in. Pain in the rear end because you have to do it every time, but it works.

edit: may be bannable if you admit it so don't go around shouting about it in zones, faggots. Lets not ruin a good thing

edit again: also someone invite me, 16 Bard Kannarus, I'm just another lovely bard but I can kind of mez mobs now so I might be good for more than pulling a whole zone and kiting them by myself while everyone else curses bloody murder and calls for bards to be nerfed.

A Mean Cow fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 28, 2015

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

A Mean Cow posted:

Got Luclin models to work BTW. You just have to load the Luclin globalload.txt file after logging in.

Use the normal one to log in to character selection, log out to account sign-in screen, replace the globalload file with the luclin-edited one and log back in. Pain in the rear end because you have to do it every time, but it works.

edit: may be bannable if you admit it so don't go around shouting about it in zones, faggots. Lets not ruin a good thing

edit again: also someone invite me, 16 Bard Kannarus, I'm just another lovely bard but I can kind of mez mobs now so I might be good for more than pulling a whole zone and kiting them by myself while everyone else curses bloody murder and calls for bards to be nerfed.
Luclin models.... good thing.... hmm. NOT CLASSIC!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Luclin models.... good thing.... hmm. NOT CLASSIC!

Bro are you playing blue again? And what's your toons name?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dirt posted:

There was anywhere from 2 to 4 other people there with me

Before Velious dropped there was always 12+ nerds there you got it easy now.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Luclin models suck rear end

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
The character graphics in eq2 remind me of luck in models. That's most likely why I never gave it a chance...

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Ramulack posted:

The character graphics in eq2 remind me of luck in models. That's most likely why I never gave it a chance...

EQ2:

Erudites turned into aliens instead of black people.

Trolls got skinny.

Halflings/gnomes looked stupid(same as EQ1).

High Elves look cool(like EQ1).

Ratonga was the EQ2 Master race though.

I'd like to see Ratonga on P1999 somehow haha

Sidenote: I am super bored with P1999. I hit 50 like a week ago, and haven't played much since then. I joined some "raid guild" but they seem like weirdos. I think I might take a break for awhile. I just camped my Mage outside Unrest, I might login once in awhile to see if I can grab that Priest of Najena for that stupid cloak quest, but other than that I think I need a break.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I found a great group at the sarnak fort in lake of ill omen and let it ride, got just shy of 3 levels. I'm real close to 29 and new spells including my first group teleports :toot: but I've been playing for hours and need a break. I'll grind out those last couple bubbles tomorrow morning.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Dirt posted:

I joined some "raid guild" but they seem like weirdos.

Why does this surprise you?

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

did you join clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

a real jerk posted:

did you join clue

i joined "anonymous".

I don't recommend them.