Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't show up for any Velious events because they were massively confusing and I knew it would just be a shitshow full of corpse runs fighting unkillable Empire at full force.

Also, how do I fight a bard as a monk? Every fight with a bard has just gone completely one-sided against me. Within seconds I have a million songs landing on me that I don't know what they do, I'm running at snail speeds, and unable to melee them. Can songs be dispelled with pumice? Also I have 100+ MR but the songs seem to hit me instantly every time. It seems hopeless.

vvv That's what I figured. :negative:

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

I hate this game sometimes.

Died in TT, no clue where my corpse is. Whoever thought of making a zone full of see invis, faster than SOW frogs, in a zone where you cant see 20 feet in front of you, is a dick.

Siets ,if you are around later today, if you could hop on Xeriak, Ill give you some cash to summon my corpse.

I can get on anytime. I'll keep tabs on this thread and just post when you are available. Happy to help!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

You don't happen to have a coffin or two in your bank do you?

I can go make a level 1 DE to buy one, pretty sure I'm KOS in Neriak on all my characters.

It's dumb they only sell them in Neriak, but you can buy the smaller ones(for the level 57 spell) in Paineel.

No need to summon if it's in TT. I have spells that let me track and find the corpse easily. You just need to be in the zone with me and then I can run and drag it back to you.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

Ok well that makes things easier.

Later on hopefully I can get a evac to EJ from FV, or I can meet you at the TT/Swamp of No hope zone line.

Thanks man.

Yeah work on getting that port and post again in the thread when you are there and I can log in and help ya out.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

You around at all today, Siets?

I can be on in two hours from this post. I will log on Xeirak then and look for you. Just send me a tell. (Let me know if that time does not work for you though.)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Logging in Xeirak now, Dirt.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got a game mechanics question:

My main on Red is currently dead in a dungeon. If I log in an alt and continue playing on the same account and same server, will that cause the resurrection timer to tick down on my main? Or do I have to be specifically logged into my main character to have his resurrection timer tick down?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Any character on the account will keep the rezz timer moving. It sucks, I agree, and is one of the reasons why hardcore players make new accounts for alts.

Where'd you die? I have a cleric if you're not in Seb or something scary.

Got a res at the entrance, but now I just need a port out. I do not trust myself to feign flop past all those casters to get to the zone out.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hexel posted:

Haha what zone

Old Sebilis entrance. :(

I died to a bad pull in disco room. I have no idea how to pull that dungeon, yet of course group was all "Ooh monk! You get to pull!" Sneak pulling never seems to work as it feels like most mobs are "tied" together somehow. I also have no idea how to pull casters safely. They always cast on me and interrupt my feign death. I try to time it in between casts but it never seems to work. Also those frogs nuke for over half my health sometimes even with resist gear.

Enchanters should pull more often. :colbert:

Siets fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 6, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I tried to look up pulling mechanics on the wiki but did not find very much. It's just a bunch of drab "a good monk can split rooms!" Well no poo poo Sherlock... how about you elaborate on how that works?

Sometimes sneak pulling will magically bring only one mob to me out of a pack that is standing together. Other times, it will just bring the entire goddamn circus. What is the deal? Does anyone know more about in-game mechanics with regards to pulling? I feel like some mobs are bound together by some sort of invisible chain link where they psychically know their buddy was attacked and will always join in regardless. Is this true, or just some weird confirmation bias of mine?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Enchanter and Magician were my favorite classes in vanilla EQ. Magician gets the coolest pets and is great for solo but Enchanter gets all the cool utility spells.

Half of why I play EQ is just to wander around and see the sights so illusions are great for that. Plus doing things like turning into the Kelethin elevator buttons so newbies can't figure out how to get up, hahaha. (Does that count as griefing against 1999 rules or anything? Used to do the same thing with treeform and blocking off the Felwithe entrance)

Hear, hear! Last night on our new dark elf caster alts, my friend (enchanter) and I (wizard) ventured from Neriak all the way to Highhold Keep. At level 8, he already had invisibility and a number of transformation spells. We ran all the way across both Commonlands, found our way through Highpass to the keep, and then once inside he transformed into a human and made his way to the erudite NPC to buy his latest pet spell, followed by an easy gate home. The exp bar never moved the entire night, but I still had a lot of fun with the whole experience.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It is my understanding that RMT is rampant on P99, but that the staff are also very good at catching and banning a majority of the offenders. Basically, people who do it are really dumb and keep getting caught and banned.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not gonna lie, I'd probably buy a fungi if I felt it was safe. That loving item has eluded me for years. It's always been way too expensive and I can just never bring myself to farm plat endlessly to afford one. :smith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have a feeling I am going to get kicked from TMO at some point. I love grouping with those guys, but raiding feels like an absolute chore (especially when you are melee and reliant on everyone else for rides.) Unless I come all the time, I feel like I stand zero chance of ever seeing even a single piece of gear. There are so many dudes that show up to every single raid with giant stocks of DKP, and I just am not ever going to be one of those people because of my family and work life. I have seen these guys raid for up to 8 hours a stretch sometimes. There's just no way I personally can handle that.

I really wish there was room for membership in TMO as a non-raider, but I have a feeling that isn't the case. Sigh. It was fun while it lasted I guess.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pillow Armadillo posted:

For what it's worth, I feel your pain. Sat in a Halls of Testing raid last night putting tells in for quest plate, only to watch the same couple warriors get drops because they're the hardcore players these days. As casual scum, I'm not in a rush to get Best in Slot, but it's easy to feel like you're lagging behind the other guys in Velious.

Right, I basically feel like a throwaway soldier who's just there to speed up the gearing process for officers. I'm not saying that the guys who put in the time don't deserve the gear over me, they do, but if you can't show up very very consistently it feels completely pointless to even try.

I wish that I could just be a member of TMO, make alts, help people with their epics, help people with the 50-60 grind, port guildmembers, etc. Raiding just isn't for me though. It takes forever, I'm never going to see drops, and Empire shits all over us right now and for the foreseeable future resulting in my evenings ending with my melee rear end plugged at some zoneline and spending the better part of my next day trying to secure a port home. Not a fun way to play the game.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I Love You! posted:

I used to run the goon guild on p99 but I've been out of comission for a long time. Now with Velious and a stable lifestyle I'm going to try to pick things back up. I'd love to hear who/if anyone is playing on red or interested, as I'm trying to get a leveling team off the ground to do kunark and other content.

Are you planning on red or blue? I'm burnt out on red because gently caress Empire basically. There is zero point in leveling a character to end game content as long as they are around on that server.

On blue I've got an FBSS, full Ivy Etched ranger that I was thinking about leveling when the hybrid exp penalty goes away.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tell Me More about how much fun I'm having when we spend an hour plus forming for raid, buffing, and traveling, only for Empire to show up and force us all to plug at the zoneline literally every raid and small group dungeon outing ever.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Were the race XP penalties also removed? Or just class XP penalties per the notes?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?s=adf61788539a0c803df4757c317a3bc4&t=210959

All of us, red or blue, should roll up new characters on the Discord server when that happens and zerg the poo poo out of people for laughs until the bitter end.

I also submit that we all roll as trolls (for RP reasons of course.)

Siets fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 23, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I Love You! is correct that getting an actual guild tag will be challenging due to the nature of the server's mechanics. That's why I am thinking that we really ought to all roll one race or at least all evil or all good and nearby each other. Then we'd also want some kind of naming scheme to be able to identify other goons in a pinch. Something like Itchybutt, Stinkybutt, Sexybutt, [adjective]butt basically or something equivalent.

(... and then if by some miracle we got a tag, we could be <Butt Pirates> :haw:)

Taking over Innothule Swamp as a gaggle of policing trolls on opening night just sounds like wayyy too much fun to me though.

vvv Erudite is smart too. To this day, I have NEVER set foot on Odus on any character. Have never ever had a reason to go over that far west.

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 23, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I Love You! posted:

To kind of put it in perspective, getting characters to 5-6 isn't really going to be that hard. You might lose one or two in the process, but with the XP boost you can jump right back on the wagon. The big issue is going to be what you do once you hit that 6-8 plateau and need to travel somewhere real to continue leveling. Where do you go first? How long does it take to get there in case something goes wrong? If you have to gate home how bad is that? And how long can you stay in place before having to travel again?

Those are the big questions and the answers have to be tempered with expectation of how much competition you might have. This is why pet classes are going to be so good early, because a group of pet classes can stay at full health while chain pulling and quickly outlevel an area without having the same level of danger as someone who has to constantly be getting hit and watching their backs.

Getting from 6 to 12/14 and getting bind is the really tough part and however we can manage it safely and quickly is probably the most important consideration with regards to a start.

I hear what you are saying...

I guess we can go about this two ways: A.) We can be a bunch of :c00lbert: Johnny Optimals :c00lbert: and go for the gold, or B.) We can roll a bunch of trolls and kill dudes on the Guk zone-in while having a few laughs about it in Mumble.

I'm really fine with either. :shobon:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing I've been wanting to do for awhile that'd be a fun goon event is get a bunch of people together and all roll level 1 halflings. Then we all set out from the Shire misty thicket on our quest to not-mordor. As we travel we Oregon Trail it and see what poo poo happens to who, who dies where and if anybody survives to the end.

Would probably be even more fun on Red or Discord than on Blue.

I am instantly down for this whenever it happens. Which zone is not-Mordor? I assume Lavastorm? Maybe Veeshan's Peak if we want to be really epic and include a boat ride. Also I vote that no matter what happens we all jump into a volcano and die at the end.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

^ pretty much this.

the "resistance" side doesn't understand some very simple things that empire does: there aren't a lot of good players on this server and experienced ones are always quitting. you can never create the fantasy guild of 50 elite poopsocker neckbeards. or, you can't run an everquest guild like a warcraft guild.

if they ever want to get anywhere, they have to learn that you have to take new players who just hit 50-56 or whatever and get them immersed into the game. make them want to log in. teach them the game mechanics instead of treating them like they're stupid and constantly recruit when they burn out and leave. no matter what you do, a red guild will always be a revolving door of players, but only one guild knows how to deal with this and thrives upon it (empire)

before empire (holocaust) started doing these things, they were a small elitist pvp clique who were losing the server.

This is exactly why I quit TMO after a few months. I just got tired of feeling like an outsider after months of solid grouping/raiding and talking with people on VOIP. Now that they are a dead guild I don't really feel bad for saying what I felt, but those guys were high off their asses with their completely insane 'recruitment' strategy. The ragetext raiding strategy was also obnoxious, and I felt that texts only went out at times that live-at-home-manchildren could conceivably play during.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Red server is fun and all...

...until you fight a bard.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

So who has that <SLAMDUNKATRON> tag on red? I want an invite :)

Did you leave Empire or something?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Did they ever get around to nerfing Circlet of Shadow? Just curious.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well shoot. I always planned to farm a second one for sale. I will never part with my necro's. :rip:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I will say that as you get higher level as a caster, mobs begin to resist a lot more. This means that if you don't have a large mana pool to compensate and [i]ensure[i] that the mob kill happens that you waste an entire med cycle on a failed kill attempt. You are correct though, there isn't really any sort of "cast harder / do more damage" items or stats in EQ.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
All this solo "go get 'em tiger" chatter (cool posts Pilsner and mool :)) has me considering coming back to Blue on my iksar necro. Thing is, I got him to 54 and just kinda... lost my way? I don't know high end EQ and did not have any interest in raiding. I'm totally into the idea of playing twinked alts, which is partially why I rolled necro. A great, versatile class that can easily solo farm a bunch of fun twink gear for my future empire of alts.

He's got the tools he needs from when I spent a few weeks going hardcore on EC Tunnel item flipping for cash: Jboots, CoS, and lots of INT and AC gear.

I guess I'm just wondering, what should I go do with this guy at 54? Are there spells I get between 54-60 that utterly change the game for necro that I should push for higher levels? What are some fun item farms that a necro could solo at that level? Looking for ideas.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

aparmenideanmonad posted:

99% sure it was not possible. Bind wound got interrupted if you did anything, got hit, moved, etc. I remember trying to figure out ways to make it work on my rogue. Even using throwing weapons would make it fail.

Even as it is on P99, it feels veryyy glitchy to use. I recall my monk on Red and having to be super picky about when to push buttan because otherwise the macro just wouldn't work.

Sure is sweet once you get the rhythm down though!

edit: Uhhhh did they do a character purge at some point? I just logged into Blue and none of my characters are there. :catstare:

edit2: Forgot I had two different login accounts. Found em. It's been too long!

Siets fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 30, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I personally never want to play EQ past Velious. Super content to level alts in an old school time capsule game with a steep leveling curve that will keep me coming back between breaks. I hope the server sticks around for a good while longer.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Mool, out of curiosity what is the /played time on Sqid? I think his journey serves as a nice benchmark. Really cool posts. :)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

moolchaba posted:

Nope. I meant to try that quest, but ended up leveling myself out of my 30s so quickly I didn't get a chance.

Does the Lightstone quest really work up until 27? I'm baffled that you can just sit in Northern Karana and farm level 9~11 willowisps and that the turn-in still provides good exp until 27. Do I have that right?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

moolchaba posted:

You can make exp on that quest till level 60. I went back to test at 59 and it took me 20 greater lightstones to get 1%. It was one of best spots to farm plat for my rogue and warrior until reaching mid 50s. Hill giants and Highland Lions too.

:stare:

That's got to be some kind of developer oversight.

vvv You've got a good point. :shobon:

Siets fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 14, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Some day I'll own a fungi.

:smith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kuai posted:

Thanks I'm in as Kaiko currently lvl 3 and lost in the woods of Kelethin.

Try to get tagged in <Unknown Guild> if you can! Lots of goons online with the holiday break.

I've got a 20 ranger named Baltair that is leveling off of wisps in North Karana at the moment and would be down to group with folks in that range. Also have my 53 necro that I want to get back on the exp train for higher level stuff.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Say what you will about that UI, but the animated class icons were the poo poo.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Red Bull posted:

I had more disconnects from mom picking up the phone :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cmdrk posted:

the luclin era elemental models that actually tried to make the elementals look like something were bad and the designers should feel bad.

Agreed. Long live the vanilla EQ Looney Tunes monster elementals:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed quite a batch of 50+'s in <Unknown Guild> these days. Do we have what it takes to try and camp a fungi on a weekend with a small group?