Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Be prepared for your IP exception to take like 3 months to go through :v:

And be prepared to be harassed by GMs constantly to prove you aren't boxing. The IP exempt list is basically a shakedown list for bored GMs. You might honestly be better off having everyone use VPNs/IP address anonymizers to get around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zodium posted:

how does this go down? :raise:

From le memelords at Reddit:

quote:

Ever get caught 2-boxing on p99, or know someone who has? Ever wonder how the staff know to look for you?

The Project 1999 CSR staff have access to a suite of tools which includes a special screen that allows staff to see people who are likely boxing, but thanks to Rogean's idiotic overcompartmentalization of access, these tools have their own blind spots.

Here's what the "2-box list" console looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/fQti55w.png

In the above image, we see three pairs of accounts which have been flagged as CURRENTLY BOXING:

sulzer12 and Melcomatic

jbeans09 and ubbr1

Tynee24 and titanx

Accounts show up on this list if ALL of the following conditions are true:

The accounts are both currently logged in
The accounts are both behind the same IP address
The accounts are running on the same Machine ID (Computer Name)
So, how do you avoid showing up on this "2box list"?

If you DON'T have an IP Exemption... you will need use a VPN or tether a mobile device(s) on a different network to connect the 2nd/3rd account and computer from different IP addresses. Be warned that although simple GUIDES will not be able to tell you are tethering, GMs (or staff with database access) CAN USUALLY CONFIRM the source of an internet connection (ground connection vs. a wireless broadband connection)

If you DO have an IP Exemption... just make sure you NEVER open 2+ clients from the same machine name. As long as you avoid doing that, you won't show up on this list, and the guides will have NO clue.

Whatever method you use, just make sure that you NEVER have the SAME COMPUTER NAME connected from the SAME IP ADDRESS logged into more than one account. That is a sure-fire way to have a guide show up and question you for boxing. By that point, you're pretty much already busted.

Also, be on the lookout for other players who may be in the zone watching you. P99 has a lot of snitches in the community who love to petition other players if they suspect rule breaking.

Ask questions below and I'll be happy to shed as much light as possible on this subject.

xoxo Moregan/GG

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I more just posted that info to help him legitimately play P99 with his friends over LAN and hopefully avoid most of the stress and hassle that comes from the GM policing.

At the end of the day, even if you are not actually boxing you could still end up losing everything in the blink of an eye because of a GM's judgment call. I completely respect the double-edged sword and gray area that policing boxing is. For P99 to be what it is, it's necessary. That said, it is terrifying when a GM actually does show up and says "you are about to have your entire account permanently deleted unless you and your friends can perfectly dance in unison for me."

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Let's get a fungi crew going!! Fungis for all!! The rent cost of fungis is too drat high!!

Red is extremely lowbie toxic in the popular lowbie zones. Back when I played Red a year ago, there was some megatwink rogue that had fungi and rogue epic constantly murdering folks in Crushbone at all hours of every day. Same deal in Blackburrow.

If the idea of leveling off the beaten path appeals to you and your friends then I would say Red is worth a go, but if you just wanted to relive Crushbone/Blackburrow/Commonlands for nostalgia then I would definitely stick to Blue.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got a group invite in KC on my necro seconds after posting the following to /ooc:

"54 necro lfg. I have the best undead nukes. They really are the best. They're just great."

To which a group responded with "Make KC Great Again" and tossed me an invite.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the secret to not wasting time finding groups is Donald Trump memes.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Amish posted:

YouTube videos of random people playing EQ on the P99 server made me really want to sign up and play again. Sigh.

I started a Bard because of both solo potential and demand in groups if I get to that point. Any recommendations on where I should go for experience (I'm in EC now, but roving lions are the death of me) or cheap gear I can aim for?

I can hook you up with some starter plat for a lambent armor set if you want!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

My undead-slaying gimmick paladin is go! Planning to do the following pure-undead leveling route: GFay -> Crushbone -> Unrest -> Mistmoore -> Kaesora -> City of Mist -> Karnor's Castle.

I'm rocking Ghoulbane and a shitload of DEX and STR. Yes, that is a full set of cultural Mystic Koada`Dal armor. Yes, I am aware the CHA on the armor is basically a wasted stat for paladin. No, I don't actually care, I just want all of the Ghoulbane procs. :colbert:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You triggered me by not including LGuk in your leveling progression.

That's because I'm saving Guk for my future Fungi Troll alt that will stick to Innothule Swamp -> UGuk -> LGuk until he hits 50. :)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Met some fair maidens in Crushbone today!

Many an orc slaver were brought to justice.

Canloe now has more belts than he knows what to do with!

(Also thanks to Welt for bringing me the Walrusbone Shield! :thumbsup:)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

someone awful. posted:

Ah heck, I've been getting back into this over the past couple weeks, can I snag a guild invite on Orihan? Playing a druid because I never did before and I'm still not 100% sure I made the right choice, but it's not like I hate it or anything.

I will be completely unsurprised if I end up switching to a cleric, though. I always play cleric. I have a problem. :negative:

Where are you at? Add Xeirak and/or Sietlan to /friends and I will be sure to come tag you!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
After practicing on the orcs, it is time to get down to business. I have arrived.

Tales of a ghost haunting the mansion of Unrest have me eager to purge its undead inhabitants within. But first... the beetles. So many beetles! :argh:

It is clear at this early stage in my journey that I cannot yet handle the legions of undead on my own. Though I disapprove of their lawless ways, the rogues do have their uses.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Athropos posted:

I was actually in Unrest earlier today on my troll Sk twink but as usual the place is way too packed and I went back to Oasis and Upper Guk. Unrest has issues with powerlevelers pulling everything, fungi twinks claiming main room, incompetent fireplace groups training the lower levels, and yard trash being terrible exp in a group at around level 15+. I love the look and lore of the place but it's incredibly overrated.

They have a policy against zone disruption, which I feel you would have grounds for in a smaller zone like Unrest if powerleveling druids were being obnoxious.

As for the terrible pullers and trains, for me, that's part of the charm of the place. :v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HoboTech posted:

Okay so I've got my Enchanter to lvl 6 and realized the journey to 12 is just going to be one long grind. However I like the character and don't want to just give up.

So I'm willing to buy anyone's old newbie enchanter gear for market prices. I'm willing to spend around 3k plat, which I think can get me started. If anyone has a full set of serviceable cloth armor, two of those platinum fire wedding rings (they seem to be standard), and something better than a rusty dagger, I'll buy them from you. The money is on my shaman (Uggrut), but he can travel pretty safely now so I can meet you wherever, while the enchanter (Zephress) is currently parked in front of the High Elf town.

Figured I'd ask here first because I know I can trust you guys. I'll likely be on for a bit tonight but I'm willing to coordinate whatever works for whomever.

You should be able to group in Crushbone now. Farm up a bunch of those Crushbone Belts for turn-in in Kaladim and I suspect it will go very fast.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

suuma posted:

Enchanters just buff and dps? What?

Of the 4 cloth casters Enchanter is definitely the least chill.

From levels 6 to 12, yes.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Philonius posted:

Seems Daybreak is going to launch another timelocked progression server this summer, 12 weeks for each expansion and eventually stopping at LDoN, making PoP the final raid expansion. Might be an alternative to P1999 for those who don't want to race for spawns.

Nothing is an alternative until they go back to 100% classic graphics. :colbert:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

I tried the first one they did...

It was basically 6 man box squads murdering everything. 5 mages and a druid usually.

Mage pets were super overpowered because they were "balanced" for the current game(with 20-something expansions) so they basically could murder anything in old world zones without any effort.

Monk fists were "balanced" too and were better than any classic era weapons.

If they limited boxing and can roll back spells/stats to normal classic era stuff ,it would be tolerable I imagine. If they don't do that it's just Mage deathsquads owning every zone.

I tuned into a random stream just to observe it when the first profession server (Ragefire?) had launched. The streamer was in Mistmoore and in the short two minute span I was watching I saw no less than four separate 6-box mage squads roll through.

P99 or bust.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jeans, Hero of the People. :patriot:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I grouped with my necro until low 50's when I started doing Karnor's Castle.

Groups are actually fun and necros are also good in groups due to how many roles they can (surprisingly) fill, so don't do what I did. You absolutely can if you want to though.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Zodium are you Gatmanno in-game?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:glomp:

<--- Xeirak and/or useless paladin Sietlan

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elijah. posted:

Is this worth checking out as someone that never played EQ back in the day?

EQ has that very ultra classic "80's fantasy novel cover art" look and feel that I don't think you can find anywhere else.

It could also be interesting from the perspective of simply wanting to see how the MMO genre grew into what it is now. You'll see things in EQ that feel very much like pen and paper RPG mechanics that were forced into the game simply because that's just how you did things in the RPG genre back then.

EQ also has a unique design niche of having items that actually do highly significant things beyond just increasing your stats. The game really gives you that feeling of "Frodo just found Sting" and you get really attached to the first major pieces of gear that you acquire for your character. If you're the kind of person that can overlook mechanical cruft and a lack of modern quality of life features in favor of a purely nostalgic, immersive, and social experience, only then would I really recommend EQ to anybody. :shobon:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

Use the Inn in east freeport!

I did that once, and ended up stealing 800k worth of poo poo from Aftermath, because they decided to have a recharge party when I was there.

edit: ps I don't play anymore. I still have some expensive poo poo to give away. Caiu get's my stolen Bladestopper. Who else still plays? I have a bunch of random expensive poo poo to give away still.

The one true Innernette Yzzerdd will be missed. :(

Do you have any random warrior items? Next on my EQ bucket list is to make that troll warrior that lives only in Innothule Swamp > Upper Guk > Lower Guk till his 50's.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Make a DEX-stacked Ghoulbane paladin. They are super fun!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FayGate posted:

I just made my 10 millionth platinum piece of profit on the grand commons exchange. AMA. wait dont do that.

What were your different sources of income and what tiers were they at?

Was a bulk of it lucky drop wins from raiding or did you have some kind of system for market trading in place that you rode for awhile with consistency?

I’m going to go ahead and assume this wasn’t a decade of straight plat farming.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Iksar can fairly easily (with a bit of grinding at least) gain reputation with (most) of the dark elves in Neriak allowing you to bank there and invis past the evil cleric faction when you need to access other vendors in the city.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

si posted:

Is this the 'Red Wine' quest deal? I have tried to read up a bit on this.

That's the one. Control + Left Click is going to be your friend for single-selecting wine from the stacks you purchase in order to do the turn-in properly. :)

I believe there is also a similar turn-in quest that gets you halfling faction for a second home away from home.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If memory serves the wine you buy from a merchant close by and it’s like coppers a piece. I don’t remember it really costing me much, if anything.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
https://wiki.project1999.com/Bottle_of_Red_Wine

That’s the quest and I believe the NPC is only on the Dark Bargainers faction. Since that is a merchant faction, he should be apprehensive at first and no worse. The turn-in gives more DB faction along with Dreadguard Outer and Dreadguard Inner faction which is what all the city guards are on. The wiki entry states that you will need to only do between 150-400 turn-ins, which goes by pretty quick using control + left click and placing bag windows next to the turn-in window. Maybe five minutes of actual clicking work and only a couple plat in red wine is my estimate. Well worth it.

Do keep in mind that you still need to be wary of the dark elf cleric faction NPCs that are somewhat scattered in various places throughout the three Neriak zones. You can just invis past them. I’m not sure if there is a way to gain faction with them. There are also a few undead in select locations that will aggro on you unless you put up invis to undead.

edit: I actually had to do many thousands of turn-ins because I farmed some dark elf guards in my twenties before I knew about the red wine quest. Don’t repeat my mistake! :smithicide:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

si posted:

Ah, I was using https://wiki.project1999.com/An_Iksar's_Guide_To_Love_and_Friendship_Through_Murder#Neriak

There is a ref in there to the Clerics which makes it look very easy, but I don't know if the faction hit you take is problematic - or if it works if you don't worship Innoruuk.

Oh wow, that cleric turn-in looks super easy. I don't know why I never bothered to check into it. A quick glance at the faction penalties that are given does not appear to be anything that would jeopardize your character's progression. None of the NPCs I recognized at least as having any sort of significance.

The cleric faction turn-in makes another good point, which is that you can sometimes utilize your skeleton mana form to slightly alter your faction to various NPCs. On occasion, it gives you just enough of a bump that it allows you to interact with merchants or NPCs that would otherwise scowl at you and refuse service. Always worth checking.

Do you know about the banking line-of-sight trick as well? Just in case you don't: as long as you can right click a pixel of the banker's model, they will bank with you regardless of faction IF you are not line-of sight to them. Basically, hide behind the edge of a wall, zoom out to third person and pan your camera until you can make out the banker's elbow. Then just right click the banker and, voila, you can now bank anywhere that you can invis to that does not have any guards stationed right by the bankers themselves. I used this to great effect to bank in Felwithe, despite the fact that I had been ruthlessly murdering their guards for platinum and exp throughout my entire early 50's. :)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

si posted:

Looks like the first spell with a skeleton form is around 34 though, and research, so maybe not hugely relevant for now. The banker trick is good to know, I didn't know that one - I assume if I mess up and end up in LOS they will murder me though.

I would certainly not mind logging in and helping you acquire the big necro research spells. They are a pain to gather mats for, although you can "usually" find a seller in EC tunnel who has them. While not rich myself, I have plenty of plat where I could just get you the spells for free. I also maxed out leveling up my research skill and may even have the mats in my research bank bags still.

Just post on here when you hit 34 or whatever and I can meet up with you in-game. Always happy to help out fellow lizardmen. :)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Summit posted:

Pretty sure a banker will bank with you even if it's actively attacking you.

:eyepop:

"More money for me, gently caress you."

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not to be an enabler here buuut...

If you roll something like a wizard or necro that can solo, you can just kill - med - kill - kill - med - etc while feeding the baby! Save grouping for when kiddo is asleep for the evening.

I have been contemplating these things myself as we are about to have our own in six or so months. :v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I would log in but I’m super stuck into Ark at the moment. I still want to keep leveling my smite DEX paladin and I also want to start my role play fungi troll warrior who goes 1-50 in solely Innoruk Swamp and Upper/Lower Guk.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For real, I'd probably come back if a bunch of inactive goons all came back to start gimmick alts together or something. Solo EQ is just something you can only keep up for so long, and none of the existing P99 guilds/communities ever really grabbed me.

Honestly EQ really is an MMO that offers a solid leveling experience, as opposed to the modern "moan and grunt through leveling until you reach endgame raiding which is the ~real~ game." I know a lot of people really want those pixels, but man... the most fun I honestly had with this game was leveling with goons in Unknown Guild back in 2013. EQ is a game where I can level to the 55-60 range, stop, and be wholly satisfied with my experience.

This is all from the perspective of a more casual oriented player though, so I know it's less likely to be a shared view on the game as a whole. I also just haven't really played much ultra endgame EQ, so I could actually be missing out on the experience of getting your character's epic, kitting out in full raid gear, etc. and all that jazz. v:shobon:v

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Do we need a tank? I've got a 20-something paladin and also want to make a troll warrior.

Oh god, is it really happening? The second coming of Unknown Guild? I don't want to get my hopes up but... :ohdear:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

please knock Mom! posted:

I don't think I've ever played an Erudite as anything other than a joke, but now I kind of want to do it

Glad someone is taking the hit. :v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My necro main Xeirak has officer and can dole out invites. I am bound in EC Tunnel, and currently platinum farming guards in Oggok. Will be on in about an hour or so.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don’t forget to put Sense Heading on a hotkey button and then also bind “Walk Forward” to that button. That way you autolevel Sense Heading.

For UI, I think it has some alternate options/skins baked into the client itself. At least mine came with DuxaUI which I quite like. I can post a screenshot of it when I’m home.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Here's my UI for some inspiration:

You can check and see if you have DuxaUI by just clicking the EQ logo button, Options, then on the General tab there's a Load UI Skin button that will bring up a list of installed skin options for your UI.

You really do get used to it after awhile! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Best Spell. :unsmigghh:

Meatgrinder posted:

The one thing I wish they would add is chat channels. A goon chat channel would be so, so handy. And fun!

A goon P99 Discord would be pretty cool actually.

Siets fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 3, 2018