Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, mage crew already started? I need to make my dark elf! How many does the group have right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So what are some decent high level necromancer “turn your brain off and grind” platinum camps now that seafuries are nerfed?

I know some people get gem drops from geonids but those are usually fairly busy. There’s also Felwithe guards. Beyond those two my knowledge is pretty limited.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I camped Staff of Dread Gaze for... so... long...

So. Long.

Never saw it. :(

You think that cycle is doable at 55 without those items or not likely?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Anarch posted:

You can do it without either, but it slows down the cycle. Probably 56 to have the monk pet, but main thing would be having the dots between 56 and 58 which help. At this point I'd say levels will help you more than gear.

An alternative is to just grind out exp by root rotting Mrak and Karnan in the Neriak Foreign Quarter arena. Mrak is on NeriakOgre faction, and Karnan is on NeriakTroll faction, neither of which have any purpose. They're lvl 48-50 warriors so they won't give you much trouble, and are on around ~6 min respawn. You can start with just one until you feel comfortable with doing both. Don't let them leave the arena because they'll buddy-aggro mobs outside.

However, all the other mobs inside all the arena are on The Dead faction. This isn't a problem for most necros, but they were kos to my iksar. To repair this, go kill Dragoon Szorn in Lesser Faydark several times - he gives something like +100 to The Dead each kill (while lowering Indigo Brotherhood).

This is so insanely helpful thank you. I've honestly been in a rut with my necro ever since hitting 55 and been wondering what to do. I had heard something about "ogres and trolls in Neriak" but the P99 wiki seems really messed up and does not reflect the info you gave me, nor does it list any of the ogre and troll factions. As a result I did not feel confident taking any exploratory actions out of fear of ruining my currently good Neriak faction (I like to use it as a home away from home.)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The 50/50 mix of “jokey Firstname Lastname puns” and “fantasy tryhard” names are about as classic as it gets in my opinion.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I ride bikes all day posted:

My friends, who are assholes, talked me into playing this. All I really remember about EQ was being a Bard and the irony of never being able to actually talk to anyone in a group. I tried going Rogue, but then I saw a blueberry Bard. So gently caress me, I'm a Bard again.

Do raids happen at all? Does the L52 cap for Vox and Nagafen exist, or was that a Luclin addition?

Bards are OP. Just know that swarm kiting a whole zone is now super easy to do thanks to modern computers with fast internet connections. To compensate for the flood of swarm kiting bards, GMs will consider it zone disruption if you swarm kite and are an rear end in a top hat to others about it. There’s currently a server culture now between bards and non-bards where the bards will be friendly and cede mobs or camps to people who ask nicely which seems to work out pretty well for everyone. Bards will also often offer to let others AFK and leech exp in a group with them just to be nice and build up their reputation for future grouping down the line.

Godspeed, brave blueberry.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Aren't bards limited to something like 25 mobs now?

Oh I complete forgot about this. I think you're right. RIP swarm kiting.

Was that a classic change too? I can't honestly remember if people even did swarm kiting back in the day. I don't remember ever seeing it personally.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act posted:

So I've been reading about all the classes and stuff, and like, what do you do in terms of active combat if you're a warrior / monk / rogue / ranger? Is it just straight autoattacking (obvs ranger has a few debuffs but they seem to be mostly about mdps)? I mean I know monk has some moves but there don't seem to be a ton and warrior doesn't seem to have any abilities, exactly.

Also I was wondering about healing as a Shaman. We're basically offhealers, right? I'm used to playing full healer type classes in MMOs, but Shamans basically either heal in groups of two or complement a cleric right

Welcome to late 90's MMO design and gameplay! You are correct that warriors and rogues have the least in terms of interactive combat gameplay. Monks get a little more to do, mostly only defined by their feign death ability giving them good utility as pullers in addition to their DPS role. EQ doesn't really have "rotations" unless you're on a raid boss with a lot of health and also a spellcaster, and even then it's pretty simple.

While that may sound boring at first glance compared to modern game designs, what EQ does have is adrenaline-spiking difficulty when things go wrong in a fight and ball-crushing consequences should you fail to meet the challenge. When you pull an extra mob, it's often a Very Big Deal and suddenly you might be thrust into a new role, such as a monk serving as temporary off-tank with Mend, or a necromancer serving as a patch-healer with health transfers, etc. The goal of any group is always to achieve nice, easy, steady pulls to keep that steady IV-drip of exp going, but the game's dungeons and environments and NPCs will get progressively more challenging and put you in situations that often break the very simplistic surface gameplay mold of the game. As you progress, EQ forces you to be conscious of the space you occupy far more than do most modern games, which is why I think I get so immersed in the experience despite it still looking like an N64 game.

There's also something to be said for the person that just wants to whack things with a sword and board and not have to dick around with keyboard-Tetris-optimal-button-puzzles just to do their job. Some folks want that, and for those that don't there are other class options for them to explore. This post wasn't really meant to be a rant/response to you and more just my own commentary on how I disagree with where designers have taken modern MMOs and why I still find myself coming back to EQ.

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 15, 2018

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

moolchaba posted:

You should consider farming in Droga. Yes, most goblins have an annoying damage shield when you first clear, but the armor drops vendor pretty nicely (14-32pp) as well as FS weapons.

It's a little out of the way until you get an OT hammer. I keep going back there after all these YEARSSSSSSS and it's still a blast to kill those drat dirty gobs.

Shoutouts to this man who got me my Circlet of Shadow many years ago when I was but a wee necro. :glomp:

You are the real King of Droga.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You highlight another reason why I had so much fun playing with goons in Unknown Guild and SLAMDUNKATRON. Instead of following the standard Unrest -> Mistmoor -> City of Mist progression, we would actually put together fun little excursions off the beaten path to places like Befallen, Najena, Cazic Thule, Kaesora, Droga, Dalnir, etc. Would often have the whole place to ourselves too.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Meatgrinder posted:

I do this a lot! I take guild groups into whatever dungeon I can find. The reason I play p99 is to cover content I skipped.

Currently have a group of friends I play with weekly, if possible, around level 20. Will be heading to Najena. Some of them have never played EQ so it's always fun to get their reactions.

Are you in Unknown Guild? Or a different guild? Or just playing with some RL friends?

I have been trying to push my necro from 55 to 56, but would love to dust off my Ghoulbane gimmick paladin in Najena who is level 20 right now. I bought him a full set of cultural plate for the high DEX which makes the Ghoulbane proc multiple times per mob. I am leveling him purely in undead zones as a rule, so Najena would be perfect for that.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act posted:

My main goal for the day is to find a way to buy like an absolute shitload of batwings. Seems like the best option is to get to Erudin or Freeport....can Druids port to either of those directly, or at least close by, so I can grab em and then port back to Estate of Unrest?

If you stand around in GFay and advertise that you are buying batwing stacks from newbies you can usually come away with a big pile. Plus you know... public service to newbies. :3:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Trampus posted:

Keep playing on red. It's more fun and the chance of PvP makes the game entirely better. I'm level 35 and haven't been PKed yet

Ah, I see someone hasn’t fought a levitating bard yet. :shobon:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Trampus posted:

That doesn't change the way I feel. I played on live and know how it goes. Either I get my corpse back and go about my way, I log onto an alt if they want to harass me, or I go do something else. It's not the end of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g57LxM-GcSc

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I’m not even sure I’d spend the cash on Wu’s. Try to get a high level goon to take you down to Dalnir in your late teens or early twenties to farm up the bind on pickup monk gear from there. Put all that money towards weapons > fbss > jewelry instead.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I know people announce the rotting armor in KC, but how would a lowbie effectively get to the loot without training a bunch of mobs on them?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I want to get back into P99 but I’m trying to decide what to do:

-Push my 54 iksar necro to 60.
-Keep leveling my L20 DEX/Ghoulbane smiting gimmick paladin.
-Keep leveling my L20 Ranger so I can do track mob farming.
-Sell a bunch of stuff and start my gimmick ultra regen fungi troll warrior that levels purely in Innothule Swamp / Upper Guk / Lower Guk.

Halp. :saddowns:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's too bad every other mmo is so boring with their designs. i don't think anything comes close to eq in how interesting a lot of the classes work - especially bard and enchanter.

Speaking of which, what's the latest with Pantheon? I hope they are still trucking along and not stuck in dev hell? Anybody been following that project closer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hayden. posted:

Obviously it's not a problem that someone got a 100, it's just really odd it was the raid leader and one of the three guild leaders and it happened on probably the most valuable thing to drop in months. I don't even remember what it was. I'm probably just being dumb, that dude was a dick so I'm probably just trying to find a reason to dislike him more. Why do I care about an internet nerd from years ago. I don't know. I guess it's just what I think about every time I see P99 because dumb raid drama is why I left.

True story: I saw a TStaff drop and immediately during rolls someone rolls 100. Goons can chastise me for being anecdotal and :tinfoil:, but for a game as ancient and poorly coded as EQ that is played mostly by nostalgic computer nerds I wouldn’t be surprised in the least to learn that there was a way to manipulate the roll outcome somehow.