Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I did the ogre shaman/sk duo with my brother and what I did was just buy my spells as far in advance as I could. I also level a Druid to 34 so I could port him back to train when he needed to. And occasionally I'd go back and train as well if needed but I tried to avoid the run.

Of course if you're playing blue that's going to be far more of a pain in the rear end. I did it on Red where at least leveling up the Druid to 34 wasn't so bad thanks to the xp bonus and I think at the time some goons helped PL as well.

It's pretty amazing the lengths I went to not make that run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got into this again recently with some friends and have been playing on Red. We're playing casually so just a few times a week. I really wanted to stick to Blue because of the larger server population but the progression on there is just miserable when you're only playing casually. On Red we can login and group and knock off a bunch of levels easily thanks to the xp bonuses. On Blue it's probably faster not to group which makes me sad. Of course Red has 1 10th the population (if even that) but oh well.

Sounds like the new server - if and when they do it - will be a Blue retread but with progression that mirrors original EQ. That sounds fun and I probably will play that if it ever comes out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I am thinking of bringing my 48 bard named Toccata and my 45 necro Unfetereds out of retirement on red. Is my old guild Thunderdome still active? Also do Teg and Alharra still post here?

Thunderdome is still active. I just joined them actually. Got a 42 bard (Johncougar) and 48 shaman (Forrest). I don't know what if any other goons are playing still on red.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I rolled a Human Necro recently. Up to level 20 from soloing.

Necros are pretty fun. A lot of tools in the tool box. I dunno how desired I'd be for groups but I almost don't care because I can solo so easily. I know Iksar is way better but I wanted to do the Qeynos area. And it's fuckin metal how my guild is in a sewer. Human Necros own.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 30, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I mostly picked Human because I wanted to do the Qeynos area and also just to be different too. Everyone goes Iksar Necro. I like doing weird rarely seen combinations. I don't much care about power since I doubt I'll ever raid. Just trying to relax and enjoy the character.

The leveling faster is a nice perk though that I think sometimes gets overlooked. Iksars are gonna level 20% slower which is a lot. Now granted, maybe that balances out a little bit since regen gives them less down time than a non Iksar. But I imagine the Human even with that disadvantage still hits 60 faster assuming both leveled in the same conditions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Agnostic is for cowards

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

retpocileh posted:

Looking to get a necro from 6-36ish, ASAP. Looks like I can't PM you, wanna shoot me an email at s.bergman.trees@gmail.com ?

I got a Necro to 20 fairly quickly by doing Blackburrow from 4-14ish, then Jackolanterns/Misty in West Karana 14-20.

There are faster ways I'm sure, but Gnoll Fangs are still ridiculous xp if you can do the quest. Though I guess there's probably a 99% chance you're an Iksar in which case no bueno.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I played a Bard to 50 on Red. It was pretty fun, but my problem with it is it's a poo poo ton of micro to play a Bard well. Because Bards can twist several songs at once which means you're gonna be constantly mashing keys if you wanna be at peak performance.

Their tool kit is a lot of fun though. Charm, speed, heals, mana regen, haste, mez. You can pretty much do it all.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

Is there anything I can quad as a 34 druid and still make at least some plat? I'm tired of leveling on stuff that gives zero money/loot and I'm broke as poo poo after my 34 spells.

Maybe Hill Giants in Rathe Mountains? I'm not sure if 34 is quite high enough to be consistent with landing spells on them, but they drop a lot of plat.

It was a popular spot even on Red though so I don't know how much luck you'll have doing it on Blue. Multiple people can kill poo poo there though assuming some high level isn't kiting all of the spawns.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I played a Bard for a while on Red and mostly enjoyed it but I don't know if I'd want to do it again. It was so much button spamming that it got old after a while.

Granted when I was just feeling lazy I'd just run one song but if you're not twisting songs you're not helping as much as you could so I tried not to do that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Anarch posted:

Oh well, so much for the best-emulated classic EQ server.

I haven't played in months but it's probably still that unless you're interested in raiding.

Like the average person isn't gonna be affected at all by most of the drama that goes on.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

I kinda wish people would abandon it so they have the 2010 pop average of 200-300.

I recall the devs weren't so douchey back then. The higher server pop made them haughty and more insufferable.

Will be interesting to see what the numbers look like when the Wow classic servers come out

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

smiling giraffe posted:

Ogres are the most solid race, so go ogre shaman and SK

I did this on red and it was pretty fun as a duo. Once you get your pet as a Shaman you can duo a fair amount of content.

I dunno if I'd recommend it for a beginner just because the Ogre starting area is a mess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
A Gnome Mage/Necro can be a pretty fun starting combo. You just gently caress everything up with your two pets and then you can either duo whatever outdoors or go into Crushbone, etc. The Gnome starting zone is good too.

And neither class is gear dependent at all. You could play them naked as long as you have pets.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I probably would end up playing again if they did the green server. It would probably be a big cluster gently caress though. Like anyone who thinks a new server is gonna come and that the big items aren't gonna be 24/7 poopsocked will be in for a rude awakening.

But it's always fun when most of the server is undergeared and people are tryin to just grind up the old fashioned way. There'd be a good few years like that which is cool.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

cmdrk posted:

things are bad enough as is trying to find spots to quad and other crap. i'm looking forward to this shitshow.

I was playing a few months ago and got a Human Necro up to level 20 before I got distracted by other games/priorities and it wasn't too bad for me. But I made it my mission to level in less traveled areas. Doing the Qeynos grind was fun.

But I'm sure if I had targeted the more popular leveling areas I would have found them camped. And also I was soloing which helped because I could just go wherever I wanted and level at whatever pace I felt like. I'm sure what I was doing was slower than doing the most popular areas would have been, but it was also relaxing trying different things out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

the last signal... posted:

oh poo poo looks like green is coming out October!

https://www.project1999.com/

Ah gently caress I'm gonna get pulled back in :negative:.

I have zero expectations of being at the top or anything as the poopsockers will do all that but a fresh experience should be kinda cool

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

Are mages going to be OP like they were at P99 launch? As in able to chain cast pets and not have them steal a ton of XP?

My claim to fame was being in like the top 10 players for the first 24 hours of P99 launch but I doubt I'll be poopsocking this time

I wonder about that and stuff like xp penalties too. Xp penalties are pretty brutal for hybrids. I'm sure people will play them anyways, but it's rough.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

One of the most fun experiences I had was going to Splitpaw on Red with some folks and learning about that zone which I'd never visited on live, or went once and died really quickly. There's a weird scripted event which happens where the previous gnoll ruler gets executed by the clan which took over Splitpaw at some point, and just thinking about this strange thing happening every 20 minutes in a ghost zone makes me want to play again. I loved all the weird stuff like that, like the princess who is a random fish in Lake Rathe and the actual God who slums sometimes as a fish in the fountain at that temple.

When I last played it was on Red as well and I got to like level 54 before I stopped. But I made it my mission in that play to go to less popular zones and level there. It was a lot of fun. I did Splitpaw, Cazic Thule, and the Hole. I wanted to do Kedge but never got around to it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah kinda the bummer of say a private ac or eq or what have you server is you can never recreate people not knowing what the best spots are to level/where everything is. i think that's part of the reason people want an eq 1.5 (obviously pantheon will never come out and even if he did it's not the one).

Even if everyone got mind wiped and EQ was released fresh today it would still get figured out a lot faster just because of how much easier it is now to spread information around.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

retpocileh posted:

I see this sentiment expressed a lot. I actually don’t fully agree with it.

P99 to this day still has people speculating about various aspects of the game.

There also seem to be some category of mysteries that would still be hard in any future game to immediately crack. Like if a game came out with the Ancient Cyclops S Ro spawn cycle, I don’t see how anyone would actually figure it out. It was live on EQ for a dozen years before a dev finally explained the way it worked.

Edit: I also admittedly don’t understand data mining. Would it be impossible to somehow encrypt the game data client side so that all the stuff couldn’t immediately be mined like we see with WoW?

I'm not saying there wouldn't be mysteries or that people would stop speculating but what knowledge did exist would be so much more freely available to everyone. Back in 1999 if I wanted to know what loot was dropped by The Golden Efreeti for example I'd have to ask around or beat him a bunch myself. Now even if I've never fought him I can wiki it and figure out what he drops and even how rare a drop might be. And there's free online maps of dungeons and all that.

Back then unless you were on one of the few forums out there it was almost all word of mouth when it came to figuring out where stuff was.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They're launching the new server in October I think so I'm waiting until then. No point in grinding a character out now when I wanna play on that new one anyways.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There is something satisfying about grinding up a melee class and getting your first good weapon legitimately rather than having someone gift it to you. I remember playing in 1999 and my brother managed to get a Minotaur Axe and that was a nice rear end weapon for a Dwarf Warrior in Scarab armor scratching and clawing his way up.

I feel like the most likely class for me right now is a Shaman unless I decide to troll myself and go Wizard or something. Shamans are just so good though and they stay good every patch.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Every class is unpleasant but Warrior is like holy god drat jesus gently caress horrible.

Wizard is pretty bad too because it makes you an antisocial loser for like 3 years until you get to raiding level, but Warrior wins out by just being so goddamn soul-crushingly boring and especially terrible as a first character.

Druid and Shaman are just so much easier and better to play as than like every other class in the game.

Magician and Necromancer and Enchanter are next up for me. Everything else is pretty rear end.

I like Mage/Necro a lot too but those are more my gently caress off and solo classes. I usually always have one or the other for when I just wanna quietly grind in random spots.

Of course Shamans can both solo hilariously well and are also awesome in groups so there's always that option with them too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

KingFisher posted:

Might be fun to play a Bard for the 4th time..

I played a Bard to like level 52 on Red and enjoyed it but I don't know if I'd want to play one again. It's a lot of work mashing 3-4 keys all the time every fight.

Of course I say that as someone that likes Shamans who also require a lot of work but you can be a little lazier on a Shaman if you want or depending on your mana available.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Doesn't it take quite a while for Shaman solo to really take off? I remember it being kind of not great before Torpor/Cannibalize and your DoTs getting real fangs in them rather than being a nuisance.

Granted, once they come online, they come online hard. I remember back in the day on live I think in Luclin/PoP era we had a guild shaman that could solo Lozdial.

They can do solidly with it. You can melee stuff early on if you have a good weapon, and even if not you can root rot enemies.

It gets exponentially better once you have torpor and the epic and all that but they can level without that stuff just fine solo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

So are we ever going to get some actual concrete details about Green? October is 8 weeks away.

I haven't heard anything but my assumption is it's a progression server that will stop at Velious so you'll see stuff like xp penalties and all that classic madness to start.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna play yet. If my friends play I'll probably do a Shaman or something like that but if it's just me maybe a Necro.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Classic Wow is fun but it's not nearly the grind EQ is, or as difficult. I do things in Wow that would get me killed most of the time if I tried them in EQ, and the leveling speed in classic Wow is way faster than classic EQ.

It's so much faster that I think even the Red Server in p99 where you get massive xp bonuses is still slower than leveling in classic Wow.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Playing a Shaman in EQ can be irritating at times since there's 100 buffs people want and only 8 slots.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Relayer posted:

That really is one of the very few downsides to playing a shaman. Even at low levels you're almost as good as a warrior.

I also find spamming cannibalize kind of annoying. I wish it worked like the Necro one where you just throw the buff on and regen mana faster rather than spamming a button. I mean I guess cannibalize is better in that you can lower your health at the exact rate you need to get the exact amount of mana you want but it sucks doing that canni dance all the time.

Of course Shamans can do good damage, solo, heal, buff, travel fast and all of that so even with those annoyances it's still a really strong and often fun class to play.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Man, I'd always always keep Gate memorized on my druid for just that reason, but I was never playing optimal.

I think it's like the guy said above about canni: when you really think about it you probably only need a certain few spells. Having gate on your bar instead of some other spell you only use situationally is probably not terrible.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shirunei posted:

Manastone is god tier on a Wizard/Druid with the right gear. Otherwise is poo poo terrible but it's great for swindling rubes out of 800k.

What makes it good for a Wizard? I'd figure it would be kinda risky to use when you have no way to regen that lost health.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So with the original classic stuff that means hardcore xp penalties and what not right? Guess that means Paladins/SKs/Rangers will be frowned upon and possibly rare since you have to be a bit of a maniac to play something with that severe an xp penalty on classic.

Not sure what I'll play if I even do. Necro is always fun but I'm sure there will be a trillion of them along with Mages.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Relayer posted:

The answer is always shaman.

Shaman are definitely fun.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Human is an underrated choice for Necro. Not because they're an optimal choice from stats perspective or whatever but because they can start in Qeynos which has a lot of good solo spots for a Necro and which will probably be less populated than the glut of players sure to be in Faydwer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

So they are going to black out your screen while medding until 35 on Green. Rogean just posted about it and figured out how to make it work.

I mean this poo poo is kind of ridiculous.

Casters deserve a little suffering since it's way more brutal to level an ungeared melee

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I was like 13 when it came out and my dad went and got it at the store having no idea what an MMO was. His style of buying games usually boiled down to getting ones with cool looking covers.

Then my first character was a Ranger and I used two handed weapons instead of dual wielding. I somehow stumbled on one of the worst class/weapon combos you could probably do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My brother wanted to make a Dwarf Paladin with his first character but he couldn't find the guild so he made a Dwarf Warrior instead.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

No. I'm just not wanting to play.

I'll probably just watch streamers and be suffice with that.

I was originally thinking of playing but I'm not sure I have the patience to try, especially after being into WoW Classic lately.

I'm pretty sure it would take me more time to hit level 30 in EQ Classic than it would to hit 60 in WoW lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
EQ was my first mmo at age 13 or so and the character I got furthest with (level 22 I think?) was a Wood Elf Ranger and used a two handed sword because I didn't know any better. Not sure I could have chosen a more gimp character/weapon choice if I tried. The characters I played before that:

1) Dwarf Rogue. I died in Butcherblock to a Giant Scarab and couldn't find my corpse

2) High Elf Paladin. I somehow got some guy to give me a set of Banded Armor and I ended up wandering into the Minotaur cave in Steamfont and dying to Meldrath. Naturally I died in a spot where I couldn't find my corpse either and I'm pretty sure that armor rotted.

Then I ended up with the Wood Elf Ranger that I got into the 20's with before quitting the game. I remember I got that character kitted out in Blackened Iron Armor which I thought looked really cool and my weapon was a Bone Bladed Claymore. Quite sure that weapon and that armor sucks but what did I know back then.