Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man....EQ was my first mmo. So many memories. That really blows :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You should just roll what you want to play. If optimization and being useful is your thing, roll one of the core good classes. If you really want to play a Wizard for whatever reason, just fuckin do it. Who cares. It's an old game. You'll have fun if you like the class.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

this is terrible advice, and "you'll have fun if you like the class" is a terribly dumb thing to say, for reasons I hope are obvious. there are exactly two "whatever reasons" someone might "really want to play a Wizard":

1) they have spent entirely too much time playing classic everquest, are aware of and have a plan for how to overcome the weaknesses of the class, and goals for how to use the class in the limited circumstances it can be. even in this case, people frequently do not end up enjoying their wizard because it is of very limited usefulness at best.
2) they are imagining what a "Wizard" are like. wizards are not like that. do not roll a wizard.

Any reason to want to roll a Wizard is a good reason to play a Wizard. I wouldn't recommend it to a new player but yes like you said if someone understands what goes with it and still wants to do it then they absolutely should. "You'll have fun if you like the class" implies a level of familiarity with the class. Some people enjoy playing gimp classes. I had a fuckin blast in classic eq playing a Ranger. They suck, but I liked the things the class could do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Bards always seemed cool, getting a new 'spell' at each level instead of every 4, but there was always this idea of them requiring a ton of activity and timing to keep multiple songs up that seemed like a big hassle. Is that overstated or is it just not as intimidating as I made it out to be?

Depends how much effort you want to put into it. When I played a Bard a few years ago on P99 it was a lot of work twisting songs but I could also be lazy and do it less.

You're undeniably more effective the more you twist though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yeah pretty much

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never understood how the xp bonus is worth the trade-off of there being fewer people on the entire server than in the EC tunnel on the others.

When I played it I played with a group of friends and so even though the server was mostly empty it was still fun to log in and go wherever we wanted and also level faster.

If I were playing by myself and not with a dedicated group of friends then yeah I'd definitely not do that server.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was paladin on live and it wasn't noticeable due to me and everyone I was playing with being in high school so our playtime was fairly limited.

I do remember our load times being longer than most (over a minute and we were one of those people that had cable early) because we had a lovely video card. It also made it so the boats were sometimes all black.

I picked a Ranger and I had no idea xp penalties were a thing but in retrospect it was definitely noticeable. My brother played a Warrior and had a much easier time of it than I did.

My first character was a Paladin and some guy gave me a suit of Banded Armor and I then lost my corpse in the Minotaur Mines in Steamfont. Being a 12 year old playing an mmo for the first time ruled.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lakedaimon posted:

I think if I had picked say a rogue when I first played (10% exp bonus) rather than a SK (40% penalty), I might have been encouraged by the faster progress. But the memory was an insane bottleneck for me. Going into Neriak 3rd Gate and back to turn in a quest, sell, or buy spells was a half hour trip because of the loading times. Nektulos Forest, Lavastorm, Freeport ran well enough, but East Commonlands was a slideshow. I think I tried making a character in Kelethin once and it was just as bad. Once I doubled my ram, load times went from 3-5 minutes to under a minute, and I could actually see and avoid things like griffins and Sgt. Slate before they blapped me.

EQ was so damned good. Did you manage to fall off of Kelethin like a true first time EQ player?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The thing I did like about red is the big xp bonuses. Leveling at classic speeds is a real slog. It was fun to level up faster on red.

Eq pvp kinda blows though. The only reason I ever played on that server was because of the faster leveling. I love pvp but not a big fan of how it's handled in eq.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Definitely remember my parents answering the phone and disconnecting me while playing EQ back in the day

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mustang posted:

I've been reading this thread for years, but haven't played past level 7 or so. I'm pretty interested in playing bard, for group content since soloing doesnt interest me. Is bard a good chill group choice? I've seen jokes about EQ bards developing carepl tunnel, definitely don't want that frantic of a style of gameplay.

To play a Bard well you want to weave songs which is an active playstyle and requires a ton of clicking.

But you could also just throw one song on and chill. Not like everything needs to be minmaxed in a game from 1999

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can paladins heal in groups in p1999, or should I restart this level 2 paladin as a priest?

I wasn't around for EQ when it was new but I got p1999 running last night and beat up skeletons outside of Freeport. A friend who's played a ton is warning me Paladin isn't actually going to be a healer like I was thinking?

So, alternately, what's a fairly self sufficient solo class for someone trying P1999 as kind of an EQ tourist who will probably just play for a couple of weeks?

I don't know if level 50+ changes things because I've never been that high in classic as a Paladin but no, Paladins can't primary heal groups. They can provide a little bit of extra healing but that's all.

They're more like tanks. If you want to be a primary healer, Cleric is definitely the class for that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Fun blast from the past today - a gmail account I made back in 2010 to support another EqEmu account full of alts to hold extra shiny brass idols for use on pre-Kunark P99 Blue raids is expiring if I don't log back in! This important part of the internet must be preserved for posterity!

I can look back on this kind of stuff fondly now, but man oh man I do not miss it.

I've been having fun with Quarm. I'm only around level 28 though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Rogues are one button but I found myself enjoying my Rogue alt more than I thought I would. Their dps is absurd and positioning for backstabs is pretty fun. Some of their utility is fun as well like being able to stealth which is very handy for corpse retrieval on wipes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've been having a good time on Quarm. I like the quality of life changes they've implemented but it still feels like actual Everquest where it's not totally easy mode and still requires somewhat of a time investment to level etc.

It's a good balance between the total hardcoreness of p99 and the complete easy mode you'd see on like the Easy server or whatever

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I just started raiding in Sentinels. They seem pretty chill so far and have no attendance requirements or DKP. Everyone has been pretty nice so far.

Works for me as well because they raid a bit later and I can't do early raids.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I grouped with some friends most of the way to 50 on my mage. I could have soloed to 50 ofc but I much prefer grouping. Spirit of eq and also just more fun/interesting to me.

I do have a Shaman alt that I've been doing a lot of gators on lately, but mostly because I just play that character in small spurts here and there so I don't often have time to group.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I would say Quarm for sure. It's a just a more relaxed environment and the QoL changes are mostly for the better.

It also makes raiding more accessible if you ever want to get into that at end game. I'm raiding on Quarm atm and I can tell you I never would have done that on p99.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Quarm only has instanced raids apart from the odd holiday event they do with special limited time zones.

I think instanced raids makes a lot more sense than the nightmare that is P99 raid scene.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I started on Quarm in January so I missed out on the madness of a new server launch. My leveling experience was pretty pleasant with most people being cool and most groups being fun.

Working on various alts now as well and it's still pretty chill.

I am curious how the pre launch they're doing with Kunark will be. Basically they're opening up Kunark for Iksar only for I think one month before they actually launch Kunark. I imagine the Iksar zones will be pretty packed. I dunno if I'm going to try that or not.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

I haven't had an issue with most Quarm changes but Kunark being iksar only for a month is extremely silly

I think it's kinda cool to see Iksars leveling up without being massively twinked/powerleveled from the outset.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I dunno about goon presence but I play on Quarm and am closing in on having my second and third level 50s on it :v:.

Not sure if I'm gonna do an Iksar or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Plus carpal tunnel! But they are really, really flexible and can do just about whatever is needed and can really bring a group together.

The carpal tunnel isn't as bad on Quarm because there's that Melody addon that will auto play groups of songs for you.

I wish it was around when I barded on P99 because the carpal tunnel was real.