Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Have the two new EQ1 servers affected p99 pop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

So I have about a month and a half off of work, and then I start a really intensive graduate program. I have this idea I have a 19 shaman on this server from 2010, with some equipment. I really want to play a warrior though. Would it be possible to make a warrior sell off the gear on the shaman, and get to 60 in about a month of 10 hours of play a day? And then is it possible that once my that is all over that I could play only on two nights a week or whatever the raid night is and make decent progress towards being a main tank for big encounters?

If so what would be the best way to approach any of this? A warrior is basically non existent without at least a duo partner.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Someone in my guild told me that he got from 1-31 in 12 hours because he was twinked on a warrior.

Is RMT actually caught often on the server? I remember there was one big bust, but after that anything? If anyone is willing can I get info on RMT?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Okay with all of that said my Shaman is pretty nicely geared I guess. I haven't really played it since right before kunark, but I have some pretty nice gear from classic. Level 18 174 Wis 146 STR 132 STA 400HP 700 Mana. What would the most effcient way to level as much as possible without power leveling from someone, and I have 8 plat to my name?

I'm currently soloing at crocs.

e: I just looked on the wiki i have most of the preplanar gear recommendations.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 11, 2015

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Hexel posted:

I melee'd on my shaman until 34 when I got a decent root. I found the poisonwind censer and a haste belt to be invaluable.

You wouldn't still have that Poisonwind Censer?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah is everyone in a guild? I am in some guild from like 2011 and no one is ever really on it.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Well what happened over time in WoW was that they stopped having literal gold farmers, i.e. real people hammering away at easy mobs for gold and drops, or teleport hacking in dungeons, to spending their time automating hacking of accounts in order to sell stuff. I don't know if there's much hacking on Project1999 though, or rather through EQEmu that we login through.

An alternative to farming plat is selling dungeon and raid drops. All raid targets are completely cleared every week (or more often), and as players quit or get corrupt, those items flow out into the economy and RMT. Thus you can't really compare the hours you'd need to spend grinding plat via pp and gem drops to how much plat is sold for in dollars. Furthermore, peoples' time is free, so to speak, so you can't even compare it having a minimum wage job.

I also don't see how RMT is such a big problem. What I'm truly baffled about is that people pay hundreds of dollars for items on an emulated EQ server..... come on! Oh well, it's your :10bux:

I would spend 15 dollars on this server if it meant an increase in fun.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Sometimes I think i'd be better off paying for a sub and playing on a progression server instead.

Its tough, there's no goldilocks server for me. 1999 is a little too cold but everything else is way way way too hot. 1999 is the closest to warm but its a little too far, when it comes to things like spell timers I mean comeon.

But then all other private servers are 100x exp rate and everybody spawns in the same zone. Progression servers are better but still have a lot of things that are just a little too much for me, like having teleporters at the docks.

No joke I actually checked p1999's website to see if I could toss them a :tenbux: donation to get an xp boost or something, but no dice. On the bright side I just heard they actually got the okay from the current EQ licence holders to run 1999 legally as a non-commercial fan project, so its good to know there's no legal chance of being shut down ( like so many other sweet fan projects ) but that kinda guarantees that they can't take any kind of payment and they have to be pretty strongly against RMT. I think RMT itself is kinda dumb though. I wouldn't mind paying p99 to help them maintain their servers but paying some random internet dude is just not my thing.

Oh well, I'm kinda enjoying the brutality of it all. I've long wanted a dark souls MMO and in some ways EQ is actually the closest we've probably come. Drop everything where you die and have to get there to get it back, permanent losses, easy to get murdered, etc. The combat just doesn't compare, but yeah.

That's the reason I came back to p99. The new servers don't do it for me, I needed something in between. I didn't like everyone boxing armies of mages, I didn't like EXP pots in the store, I did like having maps, and being able to accomplish things in 1 hour intervals, global chat channels so I don't feel alone, and that everyone was starting all together. I decided on p99 though because I figured since they split the two servers one of them will inevitably die, and I didn't want to be on the dead one. It seems like every time eq1 does a progression server they do great for the first 6 months, and then after PoP everyone that is left is the same 4 guilds pushing the server to current.

I'm just hoping I stay, Shaman isn't as fun as it was when I made the character, I feel like I want something critical make or break it importance level, Warrior sounds like I will burn out in 30 hours of being level 12, and I don't like Cleric. I also can't imagine leveling through Oasis again, that zone makes me cringe when I step in it, but as far as I know it's the one with the best exp and most people at that level. I think that for me EQ starts around level 35, and everything until then is just filler. Perhaps Enchanter is the way to go..

e: if anyone has a guild I can join that has more than 6 people online it would help a lot.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 12, 2015

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Cool, good to know. I won't camp him 24/7 or anything but yeah, I'll check in from time to time.

Probably try to push to 19 first actually, then I can just tele over when I feel like it, and it'll make soloing him way easier if some smugglers agro.

hey I just dinged 19. What's your ign?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Anyone want to play together duo or group on Sunday from 9am-7:30PM ? I'm level 19 now but I should be 20 by Sunday. I'm a Shaman

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

MageMage posted:

Are bards nerfed to poo poo like they were in SOD?

For reference:

You could only play two songs at any given time, so there was no stacking, it made being a bard suck. I might come to this server, if the bards are like, actual EVERQUEST 1 BARDS

I don't know why they wouldn't be. I was with a pretty good bard last night and he had three songs sometimes four twisting... which must have sucked because it was like three hours straight.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pwnz0r posted:

RMT profits are just amplified by red, especially when a power player quits, or a power player IS the RMTer. Some people sell poo poo cheap, I have heard of people paying 8$ per 1k red plat. I saw someone pay $750 for a Tstaff and fungi on red(at the time, equivalent to 240k + 55k raw plat sales) but finding someone to pay out 240k raw plat for a tstaff is almost impossible because anyone with that plat will have it already. Prices are funky, raw plat is more stable then items. As long as MMORPGs exist where people can buy tradeable items it will happen, You will have your neckbeards who can spend 20 hours straight playing a game getting the best items, gold/plat whatever. Then you will have the casual players who work daily, but lets say they bring home 80k a year or something. It would take them weeks/months to get a certain expensive item by farming plat or items to sell, when they can buy it from just a portion of a days pay check worth.

Anyway off that subject...Dire wolf stalker down, Tizmak meat done, Stormfeather owned, Now for the almost-easy part, lodizal. Then will finally have my eyepatch on p99, On live I was a monk so I never did the quest. Did it on beta out of boredom, and for a self buffed rogue, its haste is nice. On top of that, for a SK/Pally they can chain bash as long as they have a 41% haste item + captain nalots up. Meaning as long as you don't miss a bash, that caster ain't gating home. It was even funnier when the double stun stuff was going off like crazy. People on red were double stunned 90% of the time and locked down.

ps bring back buff timers! I have aego/glades, focus/manical str etc no idea what the timers are. GTT etc is great, but when you logout timers keep ticking so doesn't do much the next day.

I wish someone would let me spend a portion of my days paycheck on plat/powerleveling/items/accounts. It just seems like too big of a risk to go on one of the known RMT websites, and I took a look at those trade logs, and how they can track down everything, and that doesn't sound fun either. I would hate to drop a hundred dollars and get banned the next day. but I would love to be able to play an hour or three after work doing something cool as opposed to soloing crocodiles.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Just rolled an alt on red because I didn't feel like soloing today. Anyone on this? It seems kind of funny/fun.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Siets posted:

I have a feeling I am going to get kicked from TMO at some point. I love grouping with those guys, but raiding feels like an absolute chore (especially when you are melee and reliant on everyone else for rides.) Unless I come all the time, I feel like I stand zero chance of ever seeing even a single piece of gear. There are so many dudes that show up to every single raid with giant stocks of DKP, and I just am not ever going to be one of those people because of my family and work life. I have seen these guys raid for up to 8 hours a stretch sometimes. There's just no way I personally can handle that.

I really wish there was room for membership in TMO as a non-raider, but I have a feeling that isn't the case. Sigh. It was fun while it lasted I guess.

You can hang out with me on red if you want I need help leveling and porting around.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just got to 16 in on an enchanter. Going to try for twenty today. I'll try to hit up that helpful goon to see if I can get some money for spells.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQef-p_QkwM

I like to imagine that this kind of person is everyone I group with.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

aparmenideanmonad posted:

If I could find all my original maps and other swag I would probably have them hung up in my office...just to annoy my wife if nothing else.

once in like 2011 I was at a flea market and some man had all these cloth EQ maps, I asked him about them and he said he found them in the trash of a college campus. I bought all of them hung them up all over my home. I wish I knew where they were.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Has anyone ever watched this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rpxQwZUIQ0
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

if you're on red i'm a stranger and i'll be kind to you.

Whats your name?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Xantares posted:

Question for all you casters out there: do you use the default alt+num for your spells or do you rebind? Or just add them to the hotbars?

I've played a monk for most of my time on P99 so I've only needed a few hotbar buttons. Right now as a necro I've got important spells and pet commands within the 1-6 keys. In other games I typically bind stuff around ESDF for movement and right now I'm debating binding those to spells or hotbars at the moment. Mostly I was just curious what works for you all.

I've played a lot of hours of a necro, and I have never had to bind anything. I just click right down. I have always felt that EQ is slow compared to other games, so it hasn't ever warranted too much efficiency in my hotkeys. An Enchanter on the other hand, I have set up some really intense macros, but even then I just click those.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I logged into blue to play my enchanter for a little bit. I really dig the population in the zones, but the exp bonus on red is just too good...

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

would a goon be nice enough to help me transfer some stuff on blue tonight maybe 7PM EST ?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

How important is cha on an enchanter that is leveling, compared to INT or HP, MP, AC?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

ohno posted:

I don't play P99 anymore, and probably never will. Over the past few weeks, I've given away about 500k in items and plat to in game friends that are still playing, which pretty much cemented my choice to never return to P99. But, I can't bring myself to delete my characters, so I figured they might as well get some use with friends or goons - better to have them running around than permanently in the grave.

So - does anyone want to borrow and play my level 60 Iksar SK?

It's on the blue server, has an epic, is VP keyed, and also happens to have the best SK name on the server. I'm not giving away the account, but I'm not planning on playing P99 again either - so I wouldn't mind letting someone use it for their own enjoyment. This isn't a first come first serve deal, I'd ideally like to loan the character to someone that already has time invested in the blue server, and knows they want to continue to play there. I will still own the EMU login, have access to the account, and might check in occasionally - but I won't do anything with the character if you're actually playing it. If this works (i.e. you don't delete the epic or do some other bat poo poo crazy thing with the account), I'd also be willing to share my 60 cleric, 60 shaman, and 60 rogue at some point (but not my bard!).

PM me if you're interested.

I would love to play your toons to farm items for my toon/see content I won't be able to. I probably don't meet the criteria, but if I do I wouldn't mind E-mail and maybe we can exchange phone numbers or something for security.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pwnz0r posted:

Guess TMO took a hit on red or something, Had 10-15 new apps to Empire. Had 88 in ToV today for misc stuff, parsed over 1800 melee dps on eashen/ikky, 1200 on klandi but klandi sucks and we had less people for it anyway. Was a few weeks ago but I recall having some 1200 dps on vyemm and he was dropping super quick, before a few more rogues/monks acquired primals. Looking like Red will be doing some AoW attempts/kills soon now that we have enough clerics in one spot! Can't wait to kill that bastard. Too bad giants bane doesn't work on AoW, At least I am assuming this because technically hes not a giant, and I heard it doesn't work on statue and they should be classified as the same thing. Finally saw that Lance of Thunder drop, good stats, but probably best looking weapon in game also! A ogre just happened to loot it, and its huge.

If anyone is starting out new on red and needs some newbie gear/slots/weapons let me know, Don't really have a full set of anything in particular but I have misc pieces of this and that everything from ravenscale to blackened iron, some random kael/sg/ww armor drops(dragon hide legs, arms) Got various weapons, mostly piercers. I have just been placing it all on level 1s to look cool so far, don't feel like selling it. I check this thread daily so feel free to post up. PS if you are starting on red, and want to raid end game, cleric shaman enchanter pretty good class to be!

what's your ign?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

been playing on red lately. Anyone still on that server

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Erdricks posted:

I got a friend who wants to play, so I'll probably start back up again on my 40-ish enchanter.

on red?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Captain Cannabis posted:

Looking to start playing again. Can anyone tell me if there is a group/guild of former Rallos Zek players? I just started on red, but I have not been able to contract anyone.

im on red. You should join thunderdome it's full of weirdos and it's big enough and great to level in.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

someone on red with a bard should pull all of the over there for me and get me levels 31-46. Thanks in advance

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pwnz0r posted:

Those shaman kunark era spells are extremely rare/expensive on red atm, I myself was looking for pox/torpor since level 55 and eventually gave up after no luck within a few months of offering 20-30k per spell. Finally found torpor for 7k cheap, shamans now 60. Can't find pox at all though, Saw one drop in a juggs farming group the other day but a main shaman still needed it. Similarly also seen shamans offering upwards of 30k or more for bane =/ Never would have thought reds kunark-era spells would have became so rare afterwards. The kunark dragons are still slain each week, VP included for the most part. Just everyone needs these for mains alts etc like crazy.

Also, Grep, I was able to gather some gear together for you. It isn't much but should help from when I last saw you. Got a lamenation 1hs, a 10sta belt, some mask, a few other things I can't recall exactly while messing around in kael last night. Also picked up nearly full set of plate from kael, but you're still a bit low level. Was considering MQing it to my bard, but wasting 3 flawless diamonds on a thurg bp seems like a waste.

Word thanks ! I'll just send you a tell when I catch you online.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pwnz0r posted:

was just on looking for ya, hopefully before I raid I will be able to find you on. Got it all set on the druid, Lamenation, a 10sta belt, str mask, some str gloves and a cougar claw earring. Trying to find some 55hp rings, if I still had a jeweler ide make em real quick but unfortunately I haven't skilled another JC up yet.

Im on right now, I keep trying to send you a tell but it says you aren't online. Your druids name is penthesilea right?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Never thought I would plug red but it is very fun.

In my opinion red is great for casual players, the exp bonus and the population kind of lend itself to leveling at the lower levels. I don't know what high level red is like for sure but I've been playing here since about November, and I am in the noob guild, and all the drama people talk about is pretty nonexistant.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I'm about to join Friends on red, should I know anything before I do. They say they do PVE but I don't believe that they do, and a lot of their guys are very weird and on TS it feels like I am talking to drug addicts. I'll still join because I like the tag unless someone tells me that they actually don't do PVE.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Ramulack posted:

My rogue is almost level 60 now. The next character I ever get serious with will not be a class that is completely group dependent. I am pretty much done with PUGs / Pubbies.

feeling that right now as a warrior. All I want to do is roll a bard for when there are no groups, so I can play by myself.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Ramulack posted:

Speaking of bad pubbies, lookout for this gem of a level 57 Paladin. Needless to say the group didn't hold together very long once he replaced our tank.

Not saying I sympathize this guy, because I play a warrior who is relatively under geared and I know what it's like when you turn that mob and three rogues back stab it and it turns around. Is there a chance that perhaps he is casual and under geared not just bad?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Aerosol posted:

Hail! Are you Grep? We are weird, and only a few of us are drug addicts, but we're not nearly as mean as Pwnz0r makes us out to be.

I've been found !

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

did banksy ever get you those 55 rings? i have a bunch of them rotting away on random accounts.

Have not gotten any rings. Banksys gear was pretty crucial though in keeping me alive, I was missing most slots and or wearing leather trash drops. I'm in City of Mist though and a warrior so I probably can't get anywhere reliably.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Finally doing some things.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

a real jerk posted:

what are some good spots to druid(60) PL my ranger(17) buddy without being a dick about it?

he wants to go to unrest lol

On blue you can do Sarnak fortress in Lake of Ill Omen. Have the DRU run in and grab all the mobs you can handle safely, and then the ranger with do 11 points of damage to each mob while they attack you. You then AOE down the mobs. I had a druid PL me there from 16 to 21 on Blue, and we only left because I got tired.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Danksauce posted:

If I wanted to fire this up tomorrow and get started not knowing a single person and not having played since 2002 would I find it enjoyable? I'm not scared of the grind or anything like that, I just want people to play and level with.

Absolutely! Play on blue, and just log in exp and enjoy the nostalgia. Try not to get wrapped up in thinking about endgame or anything, just focus on a cool 900 year old game and take it a day at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Pwnz0r posted:

Sorry for those that have been looking for me in game for red, Grep especially. My cold came back, and was offline for almost a week easy. Barely got back on the computer 2 times to see what was going on. Still a bit sick, but working on getting back to full and I should be up and running full strength again soon.

No worries I have been working all week so I haven't had a chance to get on. Glad you feel better. I'm currently stuck in plane of fear actually and can't get a port out, which is proving to be extremely productive for my professional life haha.