Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Divinity has been letting people roll for drops for the most part as long as its your main character and you are a full member (after like 2 weeks). If my dice were even marginally better id be pretty pimped out already and im pretty low on the totem pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Hexel posted:

The Velious armor is soo sexy it hurts

what set is that from?

I only have Velious pants and they have a dragon on the side im not even sure Hot Topic would have stocked them back in 1998

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

How soon are they supposed to (in theory) remove the -40% exp penalty from Hybrids? One person told me a month, another said "a few months". That alone should make a colossal difference to someone levelling up a babby SK.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Inimicul posted:

Got bored and finally patched up to log in. Remembered password and everything. Looks like I haven't been on in 3 or 4 years. Does anyone still play on Blue or has everyone jumped to Green?

I started playing again last April out of COVID boredom. I'm on blue. It had been at least five years and my old guild <Divinity> was basically a memory. Joined one of the big boy guilds and its been kinda fun. The meta is insane to me. Fighting Vulak while kiting all his guards, DA training out pathers etc.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

On blue trying to grind through 59 on wizard. Wish I had some like Flowing Thought items or a good friend with a PotG Druid ugh.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

heard someone today spent 40 hours and didnt get it lol

Ive heard people are already asking six figures for elder beads on green smh

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

Yep, believe so. I guess EQ2 also differentiated further by splitting "Rogues" into "good" Swashbucklers (see they're good because they only grift you out of your lunch money instead of punching you in the face!) and "evil" Brigands.

I picked Brigand because I knew that compared to Assassin, it would be like 1/10th as popular. Saw stats that it was the least picked class in the game, but had some really strong abilities. And the rare ability upgrades were cheap to buy from other players because there was so little demand.

Managed to get into the top guild on my server because they literally had zero high level brigands. Sadly most of them quit the game after that first expansion came out and it was unfinished - we killed a couple bosses in one of the dungeons only for them to not even be itemized yet. I guess most of the guild had been pretty unhappy with the state of the game and gave them one last shot hoping the expansion would fix some of the problems.

Always felt like the developers were too keen on solving the "problems" with EQ, like kiting, kill-stealing, and split-pulling by putting in the locked encounters. And featuring crap like climbing. Just didnt have the magic of the original.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

What was the deal with EQ2 lorewise? Couldn't you explore the ruins of places from EQ or something like that?

If i'm remembering correctly, EQ2 took place like 500 years after EQ. I think they called the timeline from the original game the "Age of Heroes" or something like that. But I never paid too much attention to EQ lore because it always felt kinda schlocky and cringe-inducing to me. I want to say Neriak was also a dungeon in EQ2 rather than a city. Because everyone started in either Qeynos or Freeport. But large chunks of planned content were missing/unfinished at launch. I think Befallen was supposed to be a dungeon on the Qeynos side of the world. And I remember people going to absurd lengths trying to solve a rumored quest that would allegedly unlock the option to play as a Froglok. Turns out the quest had not even been implemented yet, although the devs had been hinting at it, fueling the conspiracy-like speculation.

At least at the launch of the game they had some fairly difficult "heritage quests" to get iconic items from the first game. I definitely remember Polished Granite Tomahawk, Guise of the Deceiver, etc. They were considerably more powerful in EQ2. I'm sure I would have continued to appreciate little fan-service like gestures for people nostalgic for EQ, but the game just wasnt that good.

But again they seemed determined to stamp out tropes from the first game. For example, at max level player crafted weapons were the go-to option rather than drops. There was a prismatic weapon quest at end-game (almost like a generic epic weapon), but you still spent a lot of time farming rare ores or wood or whatever to make gear. Rogue poisons were actually super useful rather than an afterthought.

Ruse was awesome. I remember a lot of random party members had never seen the skill before and would get confused as hell when you would fall down then hit the npc for the biggest damage number they had ever seen. I also really liked how good the Cazic Thule zone looked.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I wanted to love EQ2 but it was so broken at launch.

Wardens and Furys were 2 sub classes and the Warden was significantly more powerful. The other hilariously broken part was heals from most healer classes would naturally generate aggro to the healer, but the reactive heals of the inquisitor/Templar generated aggro to the tank by showing them healing themselves.

This was a huge problem in that Warhammer MMO. Every good class had a mirror with a evil one, and sure I get tweaking them to provide a little variety, but since the game was PVP oriented, any gap in balance was a disaster. The Dark Elf Sorceress and Bright Wizard were supposed to be mirrors, but the Bright Wizard had ridiculous AOE spells could basically do the same DPS, only to 3+ targets at once. They didnt nerf it for months, and even then it was not enough. And one of the main PVP maps had a ton of lava on it, and the good team had more knockback skills, and more with long range. I think the only evil class considered to be better was the Squig Hopper.

Coins were another big change in EQ2. If you had like 5pp, you were rich as hell. In original EQ that was like an insultingly low tip if someone teleported or buffed you.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

It seems pretty clear that they didn't really do the math to have any idea what the economy of EQ would look like.

Like why even have denominations of copper if it means such a fractionally marginal amount of wealth? Everything of worth is like 1k pp and up. They likely would have dropped a couple zeroes off that number but it was where things ended up and then you can't really patch it different without loving everything up.

There's so many half-baked concepts in EQ, but that's what makes it so charming. Like having Innkeepers that sell keys, and having individual Inn rooms. Its like they wanted to have other systems but realized it was too much and had to cut it, but left enough you can see where they were thinking.

poo poo I was never this smart

:capitalism:

One other thing I heard is that the ability to hold items in stacks of 20 was added like right before EQ's launch. The idea of trying to do tradeskills or used ranged weapons with the standard inventory space must have been flat out stupid before that. Imagine bonechips or other spell reagants.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

The mention of Swamp of No Hope made me think of Soblohg. Wiki says they nerfed him and replaced him with a cycle? Used to kill that guy for hours and you would occasionally get the rare really valuable gems from a level ~25 npc.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

If you guys post your names I could toss you some plat, although I don't have nearly as much on green as blue

I can teleport though so I can get to you pretty fast

If you got plat you dont need on blue I feel like im the only goon on there

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

If anyone is on blue and you need simple stuff like spell money, basic gear, or help killing something let me know

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

darkroast posted:

Is there a goon presence on green or blue? I played years ago and just got the itch again. Have a 51 NEC, 40 mnk, and 25 dru on blue but I'd start on green if that's where the action is. No real interest in raid drama with just a couple hours a day available

I feel like im the only goon on blue, and im definitely neck deep in the raid drama. Which is impossibly dumb. The P99 UN discord is an incredible source of cringe.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I feel like we're probably going to get hit with a 2 week raid ban. The former top guild petitions us for everything, even stuff the GMs have explicitly said is kosher. So they usually catch a concurrent ban for being annoying. Putting in bag limits did not help anything, if anything the raid scene is even more toxic than before.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Which guild are you in again?

I'm in Vanquish and having a blast. Wish my experience on Live had been half as good as this.

With all the heavily geared characters and 60s, the raid scene is wild. Many 3 day and 7 bosses are engaged within minutes, if not seconds, of spawning. Trash mobs are kited or trained away or DAd through. Killing a mob like Vulak while your guild occupies 6-7 flurry drakes is something else.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Man how did anyone raid on live servers when the population was 3-4 times higher?

When I played on live, my server originally had an uberguild (or so I was told), but because the game was so popular and the servers so overcrowded, they started giving you the option of transferring to new servers. To our surprise, this top guild all left and went to the new server. According to a website this was in December 2000, so about a year and a half after the original launch.

So this left 6 higher end guilds on the server, and for whatever reason they coalesced into 3 pairings that would team up for anything serious. I was eventually in the third pairing. I remember doing raids into like PoG and killing Tunare during what was probably the middle of Luclin. Killing Emperor Ssra was probably my high water mark on live, I was chronically undergeared and underlevelled and quit early into PoP when I missed some of the flags and couldnt really raid anymore.

Bosses would sometimes be up for hours or days. I definitely remember getting killed by Gorenaire just trying to cross the Dreadlands and get some xp in Karnor's. I distinctly remember a NToV raid where at least 4 of the big dragons were up when we went in, and we spent the whole night working our way through all of them - Iki, Dagarn, Lady M, Jorl if memory serves.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Push doesn’t interrupt spells anymore, now each attack is like a 2% interrupt or something. And yeah when I get it my soloing will become so so good.

I can tell you against raid mobs, push does nothing. You *might* get lucky with a bash interrupting a spell, but against anything that gates or CHs the only "safe" strategy is to have like 3-4+ enchanters chaining sieves then occasionally checking with theft of thought to see if any mana is left. All it takes is about a full server tick without a sieve and a raid boss can regen enough mana to gate, which is ultra annoying.

Monk epic will always be special to me because its the only one I actually had on live. Still kinda amazed I got enough help from my guild to finish it, but fortunately one of the real girls in the guild thought I was funny and she could talk lovestruck dorks into helping. On P99 I managed to not only get another, but buy a rogue epic MQ when they were cheap (and you could still wield at level 1). Just finished my Wizard epic a couple months ago, only took 11+ years! Its definitely a gamechanger for raids, you can actually strafe in, drop a nuke and get out without losing a huge chunk of hp to AOEs.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

My man. I just did mine recently too (well, on TAKP) and it's a real treat. We did a Velketor kill a few months ago and I got a Vermilion Robe of Torrefaction. Now my wiz is like... ABC, man. Always Be Castin.

I so wish I had put my VP key on one of my alts. (and no i dont want to ever do that quest again) Id love to get one of those clicky robes for cheap, or a cheap offhand for my rogue. My guild is actually doing this big undertaking to power level up a ton of wizard alts, so dkp prices for things like gnarled staffs is skyrocketing. Already tripled from when I got mine. I cant imagine what that velk robe would go for right now, but we keep getting garbage like the sword and the frostbite bracer.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Even on Blue I heard that the first warder kill dropped triple Shrouds of Longevity. There are only like 11 on blue, and I dont think any on active players.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I dont know much about Green has there been any public statements from Seal Team (or whoever is the top dog) about not waking the Sleeper?

Always made the most sense to me to just have an agreement to always leave one warder up no matter what. I certainly wish they had on Blue just for the increased flow of Primal weapons (ill probably have to make do with a 2 hander forever like some peasant).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I mostly wish I had known about the hybrid class xp penalty back in 1999, and how badly I needed another 32mb of ram - I thought that slow dialup was a big part of the reason it took me like 3-5 minutes to zone. I played for a few months, quit, then came back and started over around the time Kunark came out, with cable internet and then doubled my ram once I could afford it.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I think if I had picked say a rogue when I first played (10% exp bonus) rather than a SK (40% penalty), I might have been encouraged by the faster progress. But the memory was an insane bottleneck for me. Going into Neriak 3rd Gate and back to turn in a quest, sell, or buy spells was a half hour trip because of the loading times. Nektulos Forest, Lavastorm, Freeport ran well enough, but East Commonlands was a slideshow. I think I tried making a character in Kelethin once and it was just as bad. Once I doubled my ram, load times went from 3-5 minutes to under a minute, and I could actually see and avoid things like griffins and Sgt. Slate before they blapped me.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

EQ was so damned good. Did you manage to fall off of Kelethin like a true first time EQ player?

All I remember is it was so slow and laggy that I thought the elevators were automatic and you just had to wait for them. The zone was basically unplayable and my dream of playing a woodelf was crushed. I dont think I actually died, except on the inside. I died a ton in EC though, I remember dying from the poison of a darkweed snake, but claiming a moral victory because I ticked up enough mana to gate just before death and didnt have to recover my corpse.

Wow at taking 10-30 minutes to zone. Thats loving insane.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Ever hit the chain links jumping off of Plane of Sky? That's a rude death

On Live when I was up in Sky trying to kill Gwan for part of the monk epic, I managed to get aggro, and Gwan punched me off the side of the island. He then jumped over the side of the island after me, summoned me in mid-air, and killed me somewhere between Island 1.5 and East Freeport. I dont really remember how the hell we did the corpse recovery, but I think thats when it didnt check for Z coordinates and someone was able to "drag" me right up.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Probably used a Necro and summoned your corpse.

We had some sky nights on p99 where we had to do coffins for basically the entire guild.

I definitely remember the existential dread of thinking my corpse would rot, unrecoverable. But I think I was able to get back in time to loot Gwan, because I dont recall having to go back a second time.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 5, 2021

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Congrats! What's next on your list? Sky belt? Weapon upgrade?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I used epic fist/sos for ages. Getting to where I have enough dork points for another big upgrade, but of course thats going to depend on drops and when im actually around. Feels good to *finally* graduate from wearing shiverback anymore, only took me like 8 years.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

The shiverback legs and boots are unironically decent

I was still rocking a shiverback wrist (to sometimes swap for blue diamond) until a few weeks ago. Only replaced the shiverback boots a few months ago when I finally got skyshrine (which isnt exactly a huge upgrade). Did have kael legs at least for the longest time, but finally upgraded those too :) (still keep them handy in a bag for the stamina buff).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

yeah I definitely have the blue line in my exp bar, and I dont think I have a special UI but its been years since I set up p99

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

milkman dad posted:

I don’t know if I would hold my breath for a new red server. Everquest pvp essentially amounts to getting ganked by rogues in crushbone or wizards on the walls of city of mist. A new test server would probably be more in-line with whatever pve server is going to be spun up after green is finished in patch timeline (due to conclude final patch next summer).

My guild has been speculating that the test server is an ominous development, either another attempt to fix bad pathing in places like Kael (which usually results in worse pathing), or attempts to "solve" the train-out meta that apparently the GMs hate (git gud).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

blatman posted:

i'm hoping mischief rules but p99 tuning

to anyone who rightfully ignores live, mischief is a progression server where every loot mob drops random stuff from all the other similar level mobs and everything is tradeable. it was a buggy mess at launch with things like spite golems in hate dropping naggy/vox loot

Watching 300 people fighting over the 6 minute (?) hatchling spawns in Eashen/Aary hallway would be pretty funny.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

New patch is live, servers being updated

TL;DR, Quillmane nerf, Hole exp nerf, other ZEM changes

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Velious armor textures are borked (at least on Blue) and staff has allegedly said they will fix after all the raid stuff is dead

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

wazu posted:

So after a long hiatus, I tried re-rolling a low level character. Seconds after deleting it said the name was rejected. Has there been some kind of cleansing that doesn't allow people to re-roll with the same name?

Someone in my guild said that they have a lot more name filters in place now. He has multiple characters with only slight differences in the name and he says now after like the 3rd or 4th one he can't make any more similar sounding ones. FWIW.

Im actually worried they may zap one of my names eventually so im squatting on a couple other acceptable names just in case.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Kild posted:

Do they? I've seen a lot of names like Occupied America and BasedandRedpilled.

Gonna pour out a foraged water in memory of naked female barbarian corpses named Debbiedoeshalas

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I'm on blue. And condolences on being in Detroit

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

The funny part is they nerfed Bladestoppers, so now they are almost worthless (made them super expensive to recharge and it has a cast time now too), so no one uses them like they used to. I guess some super dedicated tanks had bought like 2 or more of them back in the day so they could quickly recharge it themselves and were totally gutted by the nerf. Puppet Strings took a hit too - I think they cost like 10k from a vendor now. "Classic"

Earth staffs are still stupidly rare. I'm in one of those guilds and I think we have gotten maybe five in the past year+

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Im still playing on Blue. Recently someone was saying that <Yoremy Tessmia> guild was "dead" and their discord has become a ghost town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

It seems so strange to me that people would go through the headache of setting this game up, the crashes, the total lack of "quality of life" features, unless they are chasing nostalgia. But there are a bunch of people in my guild who never played on live.