Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

cmdrk posted:

android tablets typically can't run Windows programs because they usually use a different CPU architecture. I'm sure there are some emulators out there but trying to run EQ would be dogslow if its possible at all. and, yeah, EQ is pretty keyboard/mouse driven so you'd need to solve that as well.

There is a Mac client, it would be possible to have the client work on IOS devices. That said I dont think the Mac client can talk to PC servers at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Vargs posted:

I don't think I've ever played an MMO where boats weren't hosed up in some major way.

When Death Knights came out in WoW they could death grip you accross the world.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

dromal phrenia posted:

Things like the boat being encumbered with a rock and FO3's man-tram are always so fun to read about. Didn't WoW have something where any and all scripted events were based on the slaughter of invisible bunnies?

WoW used armies of them for all kinds of trigger effects. Like Onxy's tail swipe is a bunch of bunnys located under the tail type stuff.

AOE effects where the most common because they needed something to exist in the world to cast it.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah, if I remember correctly pretty much all of WoW quests besides "gather Y quest items" are mechanically "kill quests," even ones that aren't explicitly "Kill X mobs." Zones would have invisible bunnies that would die if you got too close, whose death would trigger "success" of the quest (which was actually keyed on killing said invisible bunny). I'm not sure if they ever moved away from that. I'm guessing they did, but who knows.

That one is gone, But mechnically your correct. Quest items often in classic only had a % chance to spawn on a creature. Some of them were really stupid like Zebra Hoofs and things like that. This is all stuff that came from the EQ world of game design where nothing was absolute.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

insider posted:

They definitely will IMO. Mostly because Green's progression didn't go as smoothly as I think they wanted so it wasn't the true classic progression like they wanted. They will roll green into blue and then make a new green with what they learned this first time around that should be pretty much 'perfect'.

Define "Perfect", the game in 1999 was janky as hell. It feels like there Ideal is best described as "Lawyer Quest" :P

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

I can’t imagine the kind of sicko who enjoys the Wild West open pvp in EQ. Absolute sicko mode

In classic? Its a really fun side thing to do off raid nights and makes Open world stuff a blast.

The teams servers made it more fun but I could also see making guild members non valid targets as a 2nd way to play.

Keep in mind, there is simply not a lot to do in Classic. Assuming guilds dont go psi-ops and make it so awful that you dont want to log in, you'll see wars all over the map and minimal places to hide.

After classic the DPS gets stupid, gear inflates, and those raiding top end simply dominate and kill all the sheep.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Zil posted:

Fansy was a classic. Nothing like having a rule made on a supposedly no rules server specifically for something you did.

For people who need to see this classic!

https://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
I am fairly sure (But not 100%) that when someone hits 30 thats the level max for 4 days. They are doing it as a way to prevent people from rushing 50 then killing the entire server since 50s destroy everyone and there are still bugs in the classic code that get abused up to 50.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

There was a lot of implied expertise in my post, but it shouldn't be there. I've gained a lot of knowledge from playing with this crew, but don't have first hand experience.

Cheese spots, different clickies that are necessary, items, abilities and spells that are not considered useful in PvE but highly useful in PvP (looking at you, Pumices, Cloudy Pots), Resists > all, gate always on bar, secret bind spots, etc.

I think maybe some fresh server roll-up would be interesting as people probably forgot a lot of low level / low economy starts, but anyone new to EQ PvP is probably gonna be at a huge disadvantage compared to Red99 players or even Zek players.

As someone who grew up on Vallon Zek through the end of Kunark. PVP servers are a cluster and loot rules are really rough when it takes a month to get some quest items. Because your always always under attack. Your only safe with your race / guild, and every zone line becomes a battle ground of wizards trying to gank before you can even move.

The only saving grace is everyone is in the same hell scape (other then a few necros and druids who kite to 50+) So your dealing with ganking level 30 wizards not 50.

Bards are stupidly OP as they can fear kite almost anyone, Enchanters could charm players, blind spell makes you think your screen is broken and stops you from bagging your equipment. O ya and most people die to the SK HT till they put a cap of like 60%.

In short its a wild west of pvp mechanics that may or may not belong together.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Athropos posted:

Lmao they gave a worn candle to barbarian caracters because they can't see poo poo in the dark otherwise. 10/10 would play again

In the classic days I had to walk backwards into the first dungeon due to the fact I had no map nor could see anything but the scant few torches and needed something to navigate by.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

PrinnySquad posted:

Daybreak shards their zones don't they? Whereas here everyone is actually stacked together all trying to grab the same Fire Beetle.

Yep, they running the old code, single world, no /pick, no shards till Plane of Time.

If there was one thing the game was not built for, its population levels being so extream like they are here.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

insider posted:

Think they are turbo increasing spawn times and drop rates for the legacy items.

If it was just guise it'd be one thing but it's with all of them. Them doing this will completely destroy balance on the server long term IMO.

The alternative is that the game becomes lawyer quest, which they dont want I assume. Because gently caress putting ones name on a list for the king room or whatever and the room being 3+ days long list.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

The real win of Secrets adminning the Quarm server is that you wont have the keying bullshit come luclin/PoP, and that you'll likely be able to xp a lot better once AAs get in and you start aoeing down mobs

O god, PoP keys can be supid easy in the first rush, or just stupid.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

It's incredible that one of the reasons old mmos are talked up by people who play them is that in a smaller community reputation matters more but in practice the totally expected thing of nobody being willing to confront obvious problem people happens immediately.

Often the problem child knows the rules better then anyone else.

See them porting, Obviously your using cheats to see him.
See someone botting, Naa, that guild named Paul on every TLP farming Ice Giants 24/7 is really just 12 friends, But "Paul" got to see you say one slightly bad word in chat, ban for you.

Many other situations often result in a win for the cheater and the player base knows it so well they just ignore them now a days.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
On Vallon Zek we had the GMs siding aginst our guild (12 Prophets), including having the guild disbanded mid raid in hate. Why? Because 12 Prophets was the only full cross team guild. To make the server fun it was "limited PVP" based on 4 teams, Humans, Elves, Shorties, and Evil.

We had Defiant, they were a union of "Good", we had "Da Bashing Iggles", who were the embodyment of PVP first, PVP always.

Iggles would mostly clame ownership of lower Guk, they would attack even when greatly out numbered.

Specific people, my fav was a guy named "Mercenary" He was an SK that took my bards hard earned BP (Lambent). Because of this I learned many many pvp arts in how to fight back with the most insane class ever, a bard. All of them were cheese tactics, from fear kiting (slow and fear) to bating mages with ultra high restances, we had one hell of a time.

The server in my opinion was more fun because we had wars all over the place for no reason at all. Once item look was disabled it was even better. With item loot players got really really good at bagging good equipment, but of course raid gear became the gold standard that you would log on at 3 am in case a BP dropped.

So many mixed up memories.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

A nice Sunday night for someone. Greenie farmers would often lock down newbie zones rendering it impossible to level, a great experience for anyone trying out the server:

My personal fav was charming and buffing noob zone mobs so they run around murdering new toons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

monsters & memories devs are p99 players so expect enchanters to be less insane

so your saying we get 2 min of charm time with no break so we can pee?