Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I didn't play EQ so I don't have any rose tinting to help me with old graphics; looks like I really really need the higher res textures from the Luclin expansion. Does this page seem correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, so I made Ulfilas, a human cleric on the blue server and I'm having a blast. I grouped with a buddy of mine who had a troll Shadowknight and the differences, the asymmetries between us, was just nuts, nothing like the theme park MMOs I've played. we were the same level but where I might hit for 3-5 damage I saw him land hits for 20, he was one shotting almost everything. I seriously thought he was a higher level character until he told me was still level 2! Otoh he died waiting for me when a guard chained aggroed from a mob onto him :v:

I'm in freeport and I'm just trying to get my bearings in the game. My friend tells me that I should mostly be buying from and selling to other players and considering a merchant in town wants several plat for a mace not much better than the cracked staff I found I'd believe it. So, tomorrow evening when I log in someone should buy my half stack of bone chips :)

Looking forward to getting a decent two handed weapon (and maybe a bag, are bags a thing? They have to be...) so I can venture away from the free port gates and see what's out there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Logging in now, I'll be trying to turn in my class note and then maybe going into Eastern Commons and looking around; maybe my buddy will log on too, he said instead of the Troll DK he's making an Enchanter, says Enchanter and Cleric can Duo well together so that's cool.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My Cleric is level 5 now, I dinged grouped up in Befallen for the first time. I learned, from the example of others, that just because a higher level party opens a locked door you shouldn't go through because doors auto close. It turns out you can heal through doors so I kept alive the party members that were trapped like coal miners until the high level players came back and opened the door. I imagine they felt like cat owners "drat newbies, I just let you in!".

Loving the game so far; mechanics that other people would see as tedious and unforgiving I see as giving the game world meaning; distance, consequences of death, even dungeons that really don't care if you get trapped in them. I've always loved 'ambivalent world simulator rpgs' like Stalker and the Requiem mod for Skyrim and so far p1999 is the MMO most like that; and hey, maybe in 5 years when I've hit the level cap Pantheon will be out :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can paladins heal in groups in p1999, or should I restart this level 2 paladin as a priest?

I wasn't around for EQ when it was new but I got p1999 running last night and beat up skeletons outside of Freeport. A friend who's played a ton is warning me Paladin isn't actually going to be a healer like I was thinking?

So, alternately, what's a fairly self sufficient solo class for someone trying P1999 as kind of an EQ tourist who will probably just play for a couple of weeks?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, healing is my favorite thing to do in groups. I like tanking, but mire casually within an overworld group rather than in a more demanding dungeon, so if I had to pick one over the other I'd choose healing.

I may not want to actually pick a character based on my preferred group role though, I imagine the grouping opportunities for a dawdling neophyte might be slim.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, I was just looking at druid as a class that can both join a group as a healer and have interactions with people outside of combat, and it seems like a good fit.

I'm not personally worried about their utility falling off both because I'll almost certainly not play that long and, if I did, I'm sure my willingness to keep playing is more important than whether or not I have the most mechanically optimal character.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 19, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I ended up making a Human Cleric and my friend, an EQ veteran, made an Ogre ShadowKnight. After he made the apparently perilous journey to Freeport we spent an hour beating up skeletons. Slow going, but I enjoy the games willingness to seed the map with genuinely dangerous enemies, there were bears and skeletons that "conned red".

I did want to ask a couple questions: aside from spells what's the first thing I should prioritize buying, some bags? A shield? Also, my Ogre friend needs water, but I couldn't find any for sale in Freeport. I checked a Bar or Inn near the west gate, and some random vendors like the gnome outside the walls and the Ogre lady at the gate. He said he thinks he can find some for sale in the common lands, and I'm sure he can figure that out, but gently caress where am *I* gonna hydrate?

Edit - Oh, my character name is Praisegod. I'm not looking to get stuffed with powerful items, but I wouldn't mind maybe a little basic gear. If anyone wants to group with us I think we next plan to play in the morning on Sunday, US Central time, so maybe something like 12:00 - 15:00 UTC? We'll be about level 3 and fuckin around in the common lands.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 20, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, I did! I went through the frog temple (some of it?) and then onto some strange pyramid before the friends that were playing changed their schedule. That's one reason I was reluctant to play a cleric, it's exactly what I did last time, but it turns out I like mechanically simple healing roles.

I'm also shocked and disgusted how little I can recall of Freeport because I'm sure I had to have spent some time in the city before, but it's a 50/50 whether I get lost any time I go anywhere.

Edit - Jesus I reread the post and it's exactly the same. :corsair:

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 20, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It seems the game Monsters and Memories is intentionally recreating EQ1. What are the easiest classes/roles to fill in a party in EQ1?

I posted a while back about advice on traveling around in EQ1 as a kind of MMO tourist; as someone who'd started with WoW I'd always wanted to go back and see the earlier game world. The advice I got then worked well and I visited most of the major cities and saw what it was like to level through a couple zones.

But the character I played (druid?) was rather "busy", that was an OK compromise soloing because it gave me a lot of utility, But I love playing mechanically simple classes in MMOs; my favorite in WoW is paladin because you just turn on your seal an auto attack, and then in a party you just heal the tank with the same spell over and over. I also prefer armor wearing characters over mages.

So, what are the easiest martial type classes to play in a group? My friends are almost certainly going to play M&M and I just want to chill out, watch the auto attack go or hit the one button repeatedly, and mostly just chat in discord.

Is warrior simple or am I going to have to work to keep aggro? That always deterred me from playing a tank in WoW, I don't like being the center of attention or the shot caller.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sounds like my favorite EQ class can just also be my favorite WoW class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For me, the lack of events qbd QoL is the point of p1999. I dunno what the already level capped folks do in it, but I never know what they do in any MMO besides roll alts and play something else.