Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Is posting in this thread for invites into the blue guild still the way to go? I'd definitely be interested in one for my lowly level 11 mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

iNteg posted:

I've been meaning to log in, maybe I can finally do that and throw you an invite?

Cool -- who should I send a tell to?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I'm trying to do some research for my lowly level 16 magician's new pet spells and I cannot figure out where to find the poo poo needed (Halas Heater and Words of Tyranny). I know the words just drop randomly so, okay, I can wait there but... finding someone with brewing is apparently impossible. Any suggestions?

This is on blue by the way, because I'm awful.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'll check my brewing skill, but you might want to consider skilling it up yourself, as all the researched mage pets require the previous spell to make the pets at 20, 24, and so on.

Edit: What zone are you in?

I'm in West Freeport right now. That's pretty far from where a lot of people are, I know...

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I've spent the last four or five hours getting everything for the Stein of Moggok. Now I've discovered I won't be able to go turn in the stuff in Ogguk but I'm probably KOS there. Is there a way for an Erudite without illusion spells to get in there to turn it in? Grinding rep (on what?) for hours? Getting someone else to cast it on me and booking it? Any ideas?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Hmm... alright. Sounds like I should just work on getting the money to buy one, then. That's frustrating. I literally got everything else required for the quest (which took a long time, dammit) but there's not much to be done about that. As a non-enchanter and the required item being NO TRADE it seems like I don't really have any other choice. Ugh.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

his ign is cryhaug

Beat me to it. Yep, that's me. I'll be on in a few minutes most likely.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

a real jerk posted:

Stein guy what's your character name? I can wolf form you!

This just in: a real jerk is loving awesome. Got my Stein!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I'd be down for some Discord insanity. It sounds absurd.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

shirunei posted:

Steeks(blue)/Rizen(red) here. For anyone wondering where I went well seems Thailand has some strict drug enforcement and I was in one of their prisons for a few weeks. Should be making it back to the states in another month or two :a2m:

Wait I want more details on this

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I grabbed 7 levels this weekend, going from 21 - 28. Almost entirely in Unrest. God it was packed. Also simultaneously watched a lot of Reno 911. Was fun.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

The guy who makes ZlizEqMap posts in this thread, right? Because if so, lower guk is totally hosed up on it. Like catastrophically so. Upper guk isn't perfect but lower is unusable. And mistmoore is also hosed up but not as badly.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Ashenden posted:

Did you click the thumbnail on the right side of the program for the section of Lower Guk you were on? Just tasted both because I was near fine and they're showing my coords about as accurately as anywhere in the game. Except obviously the spot where a bunch of floors should overlap but the map maker didn't do that.

Hmm. I didn't try that, no. I'll have to give that a shot. I just noticed that it was FUBAR when I zoned in (repeatedly) and then corrected or changed. I'll have to mess with it a bit more next time I venture down there...

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

As someone who fell out of EQ way back when but is idly playing P99, why is Luclin / etc hated so much? Velious seems cool as gently caress -- what did the later expansions gently caress up so badly?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Hell I’m level 31 and I have like 600 plat tops. That’s so cool. Enjoy the riches!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I have a 31 erudite mage and I’m aggressively bad at this game. I’m already in unknown guild and I’d definitely play with you guys

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah I’m also posting in case I can I get, like, a 50 copper or something. My main is so poor it’s offensive.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

If we’re reminiscing about Everquest, my strongest memory is a friend coming over and us stripping my level 10ish halfling naked and then trying to make the run from Rivervale to Freeport. This was EQ vanilla - maybe a month or two after the game was released. There were no maps or anything, I had just heard somewhere what the rough path was supposed to be. It took us like four hours to get like two zones away from Freeport or something and then a gryffon clipped inside a house and murdered me. I think I even petitioned a GM about that and got a big old “gently caress off”.

That did it for me (in a positive way, for whatever hosed up, brain damaged reason). I have always loved EQ. I never got very far in it, as I had rolled a warrior and holy christ were they boring to play, but man did I love the game. I come back to it every few months. There’s just something about this stupid terribly made game that I really really love.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This article might be appreciated by this thread. The history of EQ - seems pretty thorough!

https://www.shacknews.com/article/110494/better-together-stories-of-everquest

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

It’s also worth pointing out that all the validation checks that MMO servers perform now are computationally expensive, especially for machines of EQ’s time. I’m sure they could have done more than they did, but client trust was a bigger thing back then because machines were just slow. The tick rate on EQ is something absurd like a full second or two, right? I mean really archaic stuff by today’s standards.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Sankis posted:

Remember when they tried to sell that server that cost like $30 a month and had better customer support and more gm events

Oh, god, I do vaguely remember that. Did anyone in this thread ever actually experience this? I’m sure it was a total disaster but given that I haven’t thought about this in decades I’m curious how bad it actually was.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about those message boards! Did that system ever really work? As a fresh newbie on Live I think I remember posting something there but not seeing it show up.

Wait, message boards?! In EQ? The only message boards I can think of are those 200x200 pixel monstrosities in some inns. Those actually had a function?

Christ this is unearthing some reaaaaaally old memories. I have an extremely vague memory of seeing some sort of message board somewhere in EQ but, honestly, I’m not even sure that’s true. I haven’t thought about this in so long.

I never even got that far in EQ at release. I rolled a Warrior back in 2000 because I was an idiot and burned out in Desert of Ro at like level 14 because it was so goddamn boring. But for some reason I’ve always loved the game. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

It’s funny - I’ve NEVER been an RPer, but I think the cruft they have in EQ1 to support RPers is what makes me love it so much. I could live for a million years and I would loving never spend time pretending to be a thief in the sewers with my third buddies. But the systems / lore / etc that supports that idea of gameplay makes EQ extremely appealing to me.

It’s very strange. I think part of making an RP-focused (or at least RP-adjacent) MMO forces you to create a ton of lore and strange half broken systems that are, to me, far more interesting than WOW number crunching or whatever. In a weird way the latest FF14 expansion almost hits this same note but not quite. I’ve never found a game like old EQ and that makes me sad.