Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Can you list where you solo'd as a rogue? I'm super curious how you managed to solo before instill doubt from 10 to 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Luckily enchanters are fairly easy to gear for charming. Look at the wiki for a gear guide. A lot of the most beneficial pieces are incredibly cheap like a crude Stein. There also isn't much of a market for CHA gear since it's mostly just used by enchanters. I don't know what the prices are like now, but the ancient croc camp should be soloable by you, and is a pretty chill way to get other work done while farming something that sells decently. I haven't played in like 2 years so this might have changed.

Really though gear doesn't matter much for casters. If you really want to make money, just hit 60 then get into groups because you're an enchanter and always wanted.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

Have you guys noticed much of an impact on server pop and activity since Agnarr released? I kind of lost heart with p99 when it was announced in March. I always thought myself to be a classic EQ purist but there really are a lot of QoL changes I'm enjoying on Agnarr without the server being the steaming hot garbage that is modern EQlive.

I started on p99 in 2014 and my highest is only 54. I had a level 50 in 9 days on the new server.

If you've lost heart, but still want a somewhat classic experience, check out p2002. It's pretty fun, and has a lot of QoL things, red99's exp rates, and lets you 3 box. I just thought I'd mention it because I couldn't do red99 due to the horrible eq pvp nor could I bother with blue99's rates. Having PoK, the Bazaar, and being able to box so I can actually play when I have time is huge to me. With just a couple of weeks of casual play I'm at 35, and feel like I'm progressing in terms of gear. I've made a thread so post there if you're interested because I don't want to poo poo up the p99 thread with p2002 stuff.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

kaempfer0080 posted:

Thanks for the pointers, one thing I think I don't like is the multi-boxing since it gives me the impression that the server population is 1/3 of the number.

Another question I have is about where players generally gather? p2002 has the Planes of Knowledge zone which I think is pretty cool. Is it more difficult to play with a friend who is on the opposite faction in p99?

I actually made a thread about p2002 a while ago if you're curious about reading up on the server. I just don't have the time to poop sock EQ anymore, and found the pace dreadfully dull playing one character. Running a trio made it a lot more fun since I could do other things during my spellcasts or CDs. You can also have a full group with just you and your friend, which is nice if you have limited time to play.

That said, p99 is vastly more populated and far more classic feeling. They're two completely different beasts with p2002 being the more casual friendly version, but not necessarily 100% accurate and slightly more buggy.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Try wineq2. It's free, and easy to setup hokeys for each profile.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Dirt posted:

I logged back in to p1999 for the first time in years. It took me forever to remember my account name/password. I still have a few characters with the <Unknown Guild> tag. I think I gave away all my cool poo poo like Fungi tunic and whatnot. My Shaman still has some solid gear though. I had like ~700k at one point but I think I gave it all away to goons. I got good at looting recharge parties from the big guilds.

Any stories about that? That sounds hilarious. Why would anyone ever do that in an accessible place?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

I might play some this weekend if my brainworms win out. I'll probably rock an enchanter/cleric duo if you have any spare caster gear.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

raiding vox on PQ tonight

Who are you in Tranquility? I'm joining them once my work hours stop being so weird.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

My guild and crew are chill so I hope it doesn’t implode although I guess we will all be on a TLP if poo poo goes south

I think I missed the cut off with my weird night shift schedule with tranq and I haven't followed up since I basically ended up working for a week straight. They seemed like a good group of EQ nerds.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Y’all should have experienced the Sullon Zek raiding scene if you wanted the pinnacle of online toxicity

Oh do tell.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Oh no dad-eq changes on the daddliest eq server ever.

Edit: Also get ready for PVP quake in the "future"

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

knob posted:

Server population has definitely taken a hit over the last couple months. I think a lot of people are bored of vanilla EQ. Agree with the other person who said Kunark should have been launched earlier.

Instances are part of the problem (not that I dislike them). Since you're not having to compete with other guilds to raid planes or dragons, you get gear pretty quick. As a result, I'm having to spend a lot of time in my least favorite zone, Plane of Sky, grinding quest items. It's still preferable to no instances and having the big zerg guild (project faceless) monopolizing everything.

but good god, kunark can't come soon enough. Quarm was basically my first time playing in 20+ years and the world feels so much smaller than I remember. I want more zones to level in. I want to make an iksar. I want to raid something other than the planes and dragons.

Ya, I kind of wish they went with a 6 month timeline for each expansion, but Kunark isn't too far off. I imagine the pop bounces back a good bit for the pre-launch event onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

50 mage and 30 something bard. All of my mage epic pieces that are in game are done, raid ocassionally but waiting for kunark