Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Rogean posted:

Regarding any past disciplinary actions, this event does not change the reasons or outcome of those decisions. I don't want to see an influx of ban appeals for people who were legitimately disciplined for breaking rules. With that said, some of the bans specific to forum rule violations, or violations relating to staff bashing in the past, may have resulted in harsher punishments for first offense than intended. We will evaluate those situations on a case by case basis. But don't get me wrong - If you are toxic to my staff, I personally believe you don't have a place here. That includes passive aggressive public comments as well (I happen to think those are worse).

Way to poo poo the bed. Sirken and the GM cabal were abusing the gently caress out of "staff bashing" bans to silence anything about Sirken's beef with <Core>. Rogean has to know this, but hey, "don't be toxic to my staff" even if you were speaking the truth or asking questions. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
The related Sirken/staff threads are also full of bootlicking trolls that are siding with staff and encouraging them to crack down further. Also the ignorant dumbasses claiming that "Sirken can do no wrong, he helped me with my petition" or "Sirken didn't directly do anything bad to me" aren't helping. It's like these people are emotionally and intellectually stunted.

Oh well, so much for the best-emulated classic EQ server.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

FungiCap posted:

Chardok revamp patch has dropped. Was this slated to be the final patch?
There's at least another patch (notably the melee buff patch).

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Iksar SK also have a few robe options if you're into fashion. People will just think you're a badass necro.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
If you haven't heard already, Braknar just quit and told everyone to play TLP instead. He blames Rogean and Nilbog for inaction (probably regarding the toxic raid scene). The post was quickly deleted on p99, but has returned on p99 forums and Reddit (where he's giving more info and will probably do AMA). In-game the raid scene is reportedly already falling apart.

One of the more damning pieces about inaction he posted was the discussion with Rogean and Nilbog about NTOV rotation.
TLDR: Braknar and Sirken were fed up with the NTOV scene so they wanted to set up rotation, but Rogean and Nilbog don't want a rotation. R&N offer hard-coded solution, so B&S point out they've been saying that for years yet haven't delivered one. Also R&N try to blame B&S for lack of communication when it's obvious it's the other way around.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 6, 2019

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Ruggan posted:

Does any of this drama matter in a meaningful way?

Honest question, not being disingenuous.

Well endgame raiding just went to hell as the top guilds have thrown out the rules. They are now openly engaging multiple FTE mobs at once, parking pullers at boss spawns, and no longer conceding for infractions against other guilds. This is probably going to continue because they know the CSR staff is extremely overwhelmed and that the admins just don't care.

I would not be surprised if this spills into camp stealing and other things.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

poolside toaster posted:

Someone please talk me out of getting back into this lame 20 year old game!

If you choose to play now, treat Blue like a test server so you can refresh your skills and try out a few classes before Green comes out. Green will be the great equalizer.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Republicans posted:

Didn't charm used to be almost useless early on since it would break much more readily than it does on live now?

Yeah, on p99 charm has three high thresholds: charisma, -mr, and scaling level difference. An untwinked enchanter is going to have a hard time controlling their pet, especially at low levels. On Live that formula has completely changed to the point that most people don't even actively bother with stacking charisma or -mr.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Wiz epic has a click rune that they can manastone off of. Also they can bind at their target, port to old world, top off their mana and gate back.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
The skewed exp tables came from classic D&D, which Verant heavily grifted from. However they didn't know how to balance hybrids against the core classes, so hybrids were both held back and penalized for it. Verant made many terrible choices though, such as poo poo itemization (class gear with wrong stats) and other core classes being underpowered (wizards being a prime example). It's clear they had no idea what they were doing at times.

That jank was infuriating but also part of the charm. If you managed to overcome said bullshit it felt so good.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 15, 2019

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Groovelord Neato posted:

man i was so confused since i didn't remember that area well. i thought it was one camp as in one spawn (you know like orc 1 or 2 in EC are each one camp) and they were coding it to spawn four areas. i didn't realize they meant camp as in "area you could call dibs on".

The Camp Rules are convoluted and can be contradictive, especially for somewhere like High Keep which is both outdoors and a dungeon. It's kind of ridiculous that they have to codify this poo poo but otherwise you have druids rounding up the entirety of Unrest for their RMT powerlevel scheme.

Experience and loot camps are going to be absolute hell on Green. As cool as starting on a fresh Everquest server would be, I think I'll pass.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Relayer posted:

P99 goon guilds are usually populated for a while at low to mid level ranges but then people bail to join raiding guilds. You really have to be a certain type of masochist to lead a good raiding guild so it makes sense... not that there aren't masochistic goons, don't get me wrong.

P99 in 2019 is guaranteed masochism for everyone involved.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Vith posted:

I'm surprised that after a million expansions for everquest it doesn't seem to have much lore, at least I was unable to find any sources as deep as wowpedia is for wow (and no books, literally nothing). Understanding the complexities games that offer little help, needing external resources, is something I enjoy. Extensive wikis where clicking on an article just leads you to a page with ten more links of concepts you don't know. Like investigating dwarf fortress or aurora. It makes me feel OH THE POTENTIAL this thing has.

There was in-game lore though most people gloss over it, but also quite a bit came from supplementary materials like the instructions or the pen & paper RPG. The Verant Vision lore actually ran out at the end of Planes of Power; you can tell because the Vanilla through Power cycle actually mimics a full D&D campaign. After that SOE just threw stuff together because money.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Don't forget the lovely redesigns of old cities and starting zones for the sake of "modernizing" them. The new versions somehow looked worse and were also more difficult to navigate.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

gepgepgep posted:

I've been playing on an emulated server for beta that just recently launched on October 3rd for their "official" release with a server wipe. It's been a good mix of QOL improvements and some custom gear/quests...but I've found one of the biggest selling points to be an expansion of the allowed race/class combos. For a game that many of us have played numerous times over, it's a surprising breath of fresh air. If any of you care to join me, feel free to send a tell/message on Discord to Villainous/Bumping. Below are a few details relating to the server (put together by some of the staff).

WEBSITE | DISCORD

Introduction
Clumsy's World (CW) has returned! The first iteration of CW ran from 2006 to 2012 and it has finally returned. CW is a semi-custom, 2-box, legit, Kunark-era server with newer QoL features, and custom modern amenities. CW is not a classic-progression server. The server will progress to Velious naturally then move into completely custom content. CW aims to be a medium between being casual-friendly while still providing challenging end-game content. Most of what you know from Kunark still exists but many things are tweaked or customized to fit into our vision. Your knowledge is still relevant but there will still be new twists and experiences.
That sounds legit cool. :black101:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

gepgepgep posted:

Wonder how many millions of plat and manastones and other incredibly valuable items will be wiped RMT'd out in that cleanse...

Good question.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Remember when the GMs sat around and actively nerfed any experience quest that people were doing on live?

Yeah me neither. Green is a loving poo poo show. Thanks Rogean and staff.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 25, 2019

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Gildiss posted:

I think they did this when Blue first released as well with Tumpy Tonics, since it was becoming a giant drug smuggling operation.

Like GMs watching people doing purchases and turn in for the quests and removing xp from them and then nerfing the quests xp rewards etc.

That actually stemmed from an even worse bug - they accidentally made the nuts stackable, so people were producing them twenty times faster than on vanilla live. They immediately nerfed the experience (even though it was out-of-era), punished a bunch of people, and even refused to address it on Green bugs when it was brought up.

Classic P99 indeed!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Daniels are pretty well equiped for a vanilla release. Good job Daniels!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Classic UI / book meditation screen was mentioned, but it was shouted down by the community. Between that, reduced lowbie quest experience, increased lowbie mob spawns, and the ability to box green/teal I'm pretty disappointed with the release.

I'd rather they either stick to classic period builds, or just go for classic with well-thought QOL improvements. No idea why they rushed green with inconsistent and half-assed changes.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
There is one but you have to reroll as a Daniel-faced halfling to join.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
"Red is dead" is both a meme and a real assessment. It's not just double-digit population, but low double-digits.

Despite slower experience rates your time is better spent on green, teal, or even blue.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about those message boards! Did that system ever really work? As a fresh newbie on Live I think I remember posting something there but not seeing it show up.

People used them for guild recruitment, buy/sell sheets, travel logs and *other* things.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Part of why I gave up on p99 is the super selective non-classic tweaks. These are just arbitrary decisions about how the game is "supposed" to be played, but not how it was actually played. So what if people know exp quests? They were known by people back in the day. It would be like changing boss mob strats because oh look, people are rushing Trakanon and killing him in mere hours- that's totally classic. :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Dirt posted:

Any of you nerds playing on Mischief?

I miss having goons to bullshit with while doing dumb poo poo in this dead gay game

Caiu? Wert? Any of my old p99 nerd bros?

Mischief is a loot pinata that hits the right spots. I'm running with the EU guild Lemmings but just on at random times.