Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Sebillis bugs for the gem drops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Fwiw, poison wind censer is the only weapon you need until 50. After that, unless you want something fancy, one of the wisdom spears should work fine. Ashen war spear from OOT is an easy, if long, camp. For shield, the best bang/buck is probably epic shield (shield of falsehood). It should be trivial to do at 50 if you can catch the rathe mountain spawns. Mistemoore shield is also great.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

truavatar posted:

Icewurm fang is kinda pointless for the price. If you're face-tanking with haste, you're better off with a Granite Face Grinder for like half the plat. By the time that spear procs, you're getting towards the end of your face-tank run anyway. You can do hasted face-tanking with GFG (or PWC for super cheap) until early 40s, then just grab a cheap howling harpoon / sarnak battle shield for better stats.

This is what I was trying to articulate but couldn't. There are a ton of budget weapons that are nearly as good if not better than icewurm fang, that's not really the spot to drop tons of cash. ++sarnak battle shield, that thing is a dope pixel.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

For a brand new player, I would recommend quarm over live. The timelines are a bit slower and quarm felt way, way less sweaty than the TLPs, which are often mobbed with toxic assholes, bot armies and the casual RMT.

I played quarm early on and it didn't feel too off compared to my memories of p99, and most of my p99/emu friends said they enjoyed that model of server and the client.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

Camping a single skeleton spawn in a noob yard with a 3 man group was how I got started in p99 green yeah

I still group/talk with like half the people I met in my first week on green

I found a static Skelly spawn and hogged it to myself until I had a full inventory of bags and rusty weapons.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

knob posted:

I just can't decide if I'll regret being an iksar shaman (no plate, so no jbb), or if i should just do what everyone else will do and go necro. I'm leaning necro at the moment. I played a cleric for launch and I kind of hate it, so I don't know if I want to spend another 50 levels healing people. The most appealing thing is solo ability later on with things like torpor.

Honestly, JBB is overrated if epics aren't hard to get. It has such a long cast time, is easy to get interrupted even if you're an ogre and you can generally use the time for better things.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

enchanters can and do pretty easily solo djarn

I wouldn't say enc solo djarn is easy, but it's doable. It was fine, but risky at times, doing shaman + enc trying to clear imps + everything else. But 2 necs can hold the room easy

E,: which is to say, the most hardcore (but not sweatiest) people I knew rolled 2x neck or end+cle and then whatever they wanted to play on severe launch. Ymmv depending on whether it's live or using live for rules or true classic or what.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 3, 2024

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Gildiss posted:

They can perform all of those roles, plus speed, plus heals, and more, and while grouped or solo.

Plus carpal tunnel! But they are really, really flexible and can do just about whatever is needed and can really bring a group together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I knew bards were broken but had never seen it first hand until we were doing kurns second floor and the guy would grab like the entire floor and lull them as we took apart a bunch of yellows and reds.

AOE mezz, but it's capped at like level 24 or something. But while it works, bards are glorious.