Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
1800 players online holy poo poo :stare:

hayden. posted:

Currently dwarves and giants to kill in various zones. 110+ Taken in GFay killing stuff. Has items to turn it but not clear what they do.

Yeah I just killed a bunch and turned em in, all I got was rep. Somebody else said they got a haste belt from it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Played a good bit over the last few days, got my new druid up to level 9. Feels good. Haven't seen this many people live on a server since ... 1999, pretty much. This feels so right.

Modern EQ1 servers are completely hosed with all the changes they made.

Gonna be awhile before I can step foot in Velious but considering back in the day my highest characters were a 20 rogue and 20 enchanter, it won't be long until I'm already doing stuff I never got a chance to back in the day.

Right now I'm just clearing good ole crushbone and turning in belts, anybody got any pro tips on fast leveling?

There's something about the way everquest lets you just get lost in a big forest that makes it completely unlike any modern MMO, except maybe EVE. I missed this. It feels like proper Dungeons & Dragons while everything else (from WoW to FFXIV) is doing some crazy high-fantasy cartoon stuff that just doesn't scratch the same itch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Conskill posted:

Are all the Goons on Red, or is there some still in Blue? I'm thinking of giving this a whirl for nostalgia sake, but PvP scares and confuses me.

I'm playing on Blue if only because there's way more active players on Blue than Red.

Hit level 12 on my druid last night :toot: SoW is close, I can feel it.

If any of you goons know of a guild I could shack up with on Blue that'd be sweet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Siets posted:

So I tried to look up pulling mechanics on the wiki but did not find very much. It's just a bunch of drab "a good monk can split rooms!" Well no poo poo Sherlock... how about you elaborate on how that works?

Sometimes sneak pulling will magically bring only one mob to me out of a pack that is standing together. Other times, it will just bring the entire goddamn circus. What is the deal? Does anyone know more about in-game mechanics with regards to pulling? I feel like some mobs are bound together by some sort of invisible chain link where they psychically know their buddy was attacked and will always join in regardless. Is this true, or just some weird confirmation bias of mine?

Yes that's definitely true. All mobs have an agro radius and they also have a "call for help" radius, I'm not sure if its the same length. Their level versus your level has an effect on this too. So maybe slightly lower level mobs you're getting away with solo pulling but then higher level ones are calling for help? Not sure. Or maybe its just a matter of being sliiiightly too close together or slightly far enough apart?

Ideally you'd be using a Druid spell like Harmony, or a Chanter or Bard spell to do the same (can't remember the names) which calms the enemies and lowers their agro radius and call for help radius, that way you can pull one at a time. (not the same as mez spells which CC so you can kill one at a time after you agro)

Sneak lowers the agro radius and call for help radius too, but then if you pull the guy through another person's radius he'll call them anyways. So even if you make the radius smaller you still have to be careful because its not zero. You have to be real careful on the order you pull each mob in a room so they don't overlap each other. Since you can't see the radius its tricky.

What you can do as a monk also is pull the whole room, then feign death, and then wait until half of them have made it back but half of them haven't yet, and then you get up from feign death. The ones who haven't gone back shouldn't reset their agro yet and will come back after you but the ones who made it back will reset and shouldn't. It can be tricky to time and I'm no monk player so I don't loving know what I'm talking about but I know monks do that poo poo all the time.

Sorry I can't be more specific, somebody else can probably say the exact formulas or something.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 6, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Conskill posted:

Dipped my toe in last night, the nostalgia is as awesome as predicted. My little Erudite Enchanter nearly got murdered by a snake before I remembered I couldn't rely on magic alone at early levels to kill poo poo.

Might migrate over to a Magician since I never played one of those, but I recall illusions and improved invisibility were both very fun tools.

Enchanter and Magician were my favorite classes in vanilla EQ. Magician gets the coolest pets and is great for solo but Enchanter gets all the cool utility spells.

Half of why I play EQ is just to wander around and see the sights so illusions are great for that. Plus doing things like turning into the Kelethin elevator buttons so newbies can't figure out how to get up, hahaha. (Does that count as griefing against 1999 rules or anything? Used to do the same thing with treeform and blocking off the Felwithe entrance)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Siets posted:

Hear, hear! Last night on our new dark elf caster alts, my friend (enchanter) and I (wizard) ventured from Neriak all the way to Highhold Keep. At level 8, he already had invisibility and a number of transformation spells. We ran all the way across both Commonlands, found our way through Highpass to the keep, and then once inside he transformed into a human and made his way to the erudite NPC to buy his latest pet spell, followed by an easy gate home. The exp bar never moved the entire night, but I still had a lot of fun with the whole experience.

You know I was just talking to a friend of mine about this. Its weird, everybody used to talk about what a massive grind EQ was (and oh poo poo, it totally is) and by comparison WoW has massively reduced how long it takes to reach max level and do raiding and stuff.

But... WoW has streamlined everything to the point where its all pretty samey and boring. Grab quests, kill dudes, move here, kill dudes, go back and turn them in and move on. Its all so on-rails that you're just rushing to get it all done with as soon as possible. Its a chore. And as a result, even if it takes less time, it feels like a grind because you just want it over asap and you're rushing through.

EQ on the other hand... its like the journey is more important than the destination. I've had a blast just running around zones exploring and getting lost, and camping crushbone with strangers and actually talking to them and forming a party and working together, holy poo poo, MMOs were supposed to be social games?! Who knew?

Even though EQ is way more grindy... it doesn't feel as grindy. If that makes sense? Course I'm probably massively influenced by rose-colored goggles here, but then again all I can think of doing after work is logging in and looking for the same people I was camping with the last few days.

Also the slower pace of EQ is pretty chill, good game for watching Netflix and smoking :catdrugs: while you play. I'm gonna laugh my rear end off at the republican debate tonight while I'm leveling.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Conskill posted:

Mechanics question. Is Improved Invisibility (and Improved Superior Camo) improved insofar as it cloaks against typical attempts to see invisibility, or only improved in the sense that it has a static duration?

I could be wrong but I think its just the fixed duration. I doubt it defends against undead or see invis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:smith:

Got the bracers of power or whatever drop randomly in crushbone but accidentally sold it before I realized what I had because it looked exactly like a legionnaire's bracer. Couldn't buy it back.

Then I got the earring drop for the quest, and the wiki said to turn it in to any male high elf slave. So I gave it to the elven priest who was male and high elf.... and nothing. I guess I should have known better, and looked for an "elven slave" instead of an elven priest who is a slave?

Ugggh gently caress you everquest :darksouls:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hayden. posted:

I wonder if you could have killed the slave to get it back

I... didn't even think about that :stare:

iNteg posted:

I've been meaning to log in, maybe I can finally do that and throw you an invite?

14 druid Byrch on blue would love a guild invite.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just spent a few hours doing the Acolyte's Anklet quest running all over the place only to realize as I was turning it in that its race restricted and since I'm a wood elf I can't even wear it. :doh:

Well at least I had a pretty good time exploring all around? Its NO TRADE so I can't even make some money off it or hand it over to an alt. Ugh.

14 Druid Byrch still needs a guild invite on Blue.

hayden. posted:

lol wut? Spell buffs don't tell you how long they have left anymore?

:negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ugh gently caress Kithicor Forest so hard. Guess I'll just wait until the daytime and hope for the best, but now I've died a few times just trying to find my body.

E: whew, corpse found by daylight. I'll remember to hug the wall during night time in the future.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 10, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Can you get to Unrest? I have a lowbie cleric there I can tag you in the guild with. Probably still one of the best zones to level in aside from Befallen and Crushbone.

Sure, I can get there easy. I think I'm still a little too low for leveling there, I've been killing the sisters in lesserfay for easy pp and was thinking about going to Befallen next. That or try kiting around in the plains I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^ They don't call it evercrack for nothing

Shoutout to the goons who helped me last night, thanks for getting me into the guild and hooking me up with some far better gear than the newbie garbage I was rolling around in.

Got to 15 and made some good pp killing sisters in lfay, gonna head to unrest and try to push some levels tonight. 19 isn't far at all and then I'll be able to teleport all over, very excited for that. And before too long I'll get group teleport and I can start ferrying guildmates around to return the favor. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hit 16 farming the yard in unrest but its waaaay overcamped so I'm probably going to try charm kiting in karana tonight instead.

19 is within sight! Gonna be the first time ever I have an EQ character who can port. :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lemonslol posted:

I would spend 15 dollars on this server if it meant an increase in fun.

Sometimes I think i'd be better off paying for a sub and playing on a progression server instead.

Its tough, there's no goldilocks server for me. 1999 is a little too cold but everything else is way way way too hot. 1999 is the closest to warm but its a little too far, when it comes to things like spell timers I mean comeon.

But then all other private servers are 100x exp rate and everybody spawns in the same zone. Progression servers are better but still have a lot of things that are just a little too much for me, like having teleporters at the docks.

No joke I actually checked p1999's website to see if I could toss them a :tenbux: donation to get an xp boost or something, but no dice. On the bright side I just heard they actually got the okay from the current EQ licence holders to run 1999 legally as a non-commercial fan project, so its good to know there's no legal chance of being shut down ( like so many other sweet fan projects ) but that kinda guarantees that they can't take any kind of payment and they have to be pretty strongly against RMT. I think RMT itself is kinda dumb though. I wouldn't mind paying p99 to help them maintain their servers but paying some random internet dude is just not my thing.

Oh well, I'm kinda enjoying the brutality of it all. I've long wanted a dark souls MMO and in some ways EQ is actually the closest we've probably come. Drop everything where you die and have to get there to get it back, permanent losses, easy to get murdered, etc. The combat just doesn't compare, but yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lemonslol posted:

That's the reason I came back to p99. The new servers don't do it for me, I needed something in between. I didn't like everyone boxing armies of mages, I didn't like EXP pots in the store, I did like having maps, and being able to accomplish things in 1 hour intervals, global chat channels so I don't feel alone, and that everyone was starting all together. I decided on p99 though because I figured since they split the two servers one of them will inevitably die, and I didn't want to be on the dead one. It seems like every time eq1 does a progression server they do great for the first 6 months, and then after PoP everyone that is left is the same 4 guilds pushing the server to current.

I'm just hoping I stay, Shaman isn't as fun as it was when I made the character, I feel like I want something critical make or break it importance level, Warrior sounds like I will burn out in 30 hours of being level 12, and I don't like Cleric. I also can't imagine leveling through Oasis again, that zone makes me cringe when I step in it, but as far as I know it's the one with the best exp and most people at that level. I think that for me EQ starts around level 35, and everything until then is just filler. Perhaps Enchanter is the way to go..

Yeah, people boxing armies of mages is a huge turn-off for me, and I like that p99 is against boxing. I'm too lazy to bother so I don't want everybody else having a leg up on me :cheeky: I know that's kinda selfish but... welp.

Yeah that's also a problem with progression servers, it'd have to progress slowly. You get in early with vanilla and you're there for most of it and have a great time, but then as more and more expansions drop the player base dies out and moves to the other progression server when it restarts.

Its funny, if you look at the live EQ server populations, the two progression servers are maxed round the clock but pretty much every other server is completely dead. The guys who hold the license should be looking into how to step back some of the changes made to the game, although I'm not sure if doing custom development is even something feasible for them or if they're just one of those companies that hosts the servers and collects the checks. They just dropped a new xpac not too long ago though right?

I'd say definitely roll Shaman or Enchanter. Fuuuuck playing a warrior, dude, no way in hell. You'll hate yourself. Only roll a warrior if you already have a max level char and have no life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So being a 16 druid I'm looking at the Testament of Vanear quest. I just went to Highpass Hold and found the secret area with all the smugglers (didn't know about this before, even though I've been through highpass many times, very cool)

Although now I'm realizing the guy (Dyllin Starsine) is a 6-8 hour rare spawn with no placeholder. :v:

Wow, I haven't had to camp a real time rare spawn mob since FFXI's NMs. On the one hand that's kinda exciting but on the other hand :effort:

With blue being pretty popular and this being a pretty popular quest, what are the odds of me ever actually seeing this guy and getting a shot at it? Should I just give up and buy the item instead? I'd much rather earn the quest myself, but if its going to take me weeks of camping then gently caress it. On the other hand while its a popular item its also kinda lower level and most people are probably wearing raid gear and velious poo poo instead now? I dunno if I should bother or not.

Probably want to grab a few more levels first to make it easier to kill him at any rate, but I'm just not sure how to go about this.

I mean if I log in and see somebody kill him then I can go "okay check back 6 hours from now" but if I log in and just never see him, do I really have to camp for up to 6 hours to hopefully see this guy? Its been forever since I've done this kinda camping so I'm not sure what the reality of it looks like.

I know raids have a rotation but that doesn't apply to rare mobs right? :shobon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bybus Slago posted:

Odds are decent you'll find him. A friend of mine whose a bit of an alt-aholic has gotten several testaments. He'd just check on the camp if he was passing through that area, and found Dylin chilling there a surprising number of times with no one around. I don't imagine most people would snipe him if there was a lower level druid sitting there.

Cool, good to know. I won't camp him 24/7 or anything but yeah, I'll check in from time to time.

Probably try to push to 19 first actually, then I can just tele over when I feel like it, and it'll make soloing him way easier if some smugglers agro.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lemonslol posted:

hey I just dinged 19. What's your ign?

Druid's name is Byrch.

Still only 16 myself so I've got a bit to go before I'll be 19, sorry if I made it sound like I was 18.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trying to do charm kiting but it feels like my charms break too fast to be effective. I probably just need to practice.

Canuckistan posted:

Best place to grind 6-12? Blackburrow? I've been trying EC/WC and it's kicking my rear end.

Between the quests and the 24/7 groups Crushbone is probably as good as it gets, but BB is a close second if you don't feel like travelling.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hit 19 on my Druid last night, teleporting around like a badass. I'm glad I got to experience riding the slow-rear end 1999 boats again, but now I'm glad I can skip that bs.

10 levels to go and I can start teleporting others for tips! Woohoo.

Pulvis Sumus posted:

Rolled an Iksar Shaman on the blue server yesterday. Is there a possibility of getting an invite to the goon guild? Character name is Tiresias.

Should be able to get in no problem, just gotta catch an office when you're both online and send them a tell.

You'll have to meet up somewhere though which will be a pain in the rear end for a low level iksar, but you can work it out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Havelock Ellis posted:

Got my warrior up to 20, if anyone wants to duo/group send a tell to Drut. Will also keep my eye out for an IG officer for an invite.

My druid is 19, send a tell to Byrch if you see me online. What zones are you gonna be leveling in?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hexel posted:

I'll give you 500p for spells if you transfer some poo poo for me in EC.

Meatgrinder posted:

I don't need the 500p but if you need a transfer in EC now shoot me a tell on Erianine, I'll help you out

I need the 500p and would be happy to help anybody transfer anything :cheeky:, I can self-port around too for easy transport!

19 Druid Byrch hit me up for your trading / sow needs if you see me online anytime, the reason I play druid is to run around having fun helping people. I don't even mind helping some goons power level for awhile, although my buffs aren't crazy strong yet so only good for newbies.

Helped a goon friend get his enchanter up to level 5 real quick last night, probably gonna play a good bit this weekend and push towards 30.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hey, I got some questions that you guys may or may not know the answers to,

On 1999 (blue) did they ever change the class XP penalties? I heard a lot of talk about it being something that might happen at Velious or post-Velious but I haven't seen anything very concrete on the issue, so I assume that means they're still active and SK and Paladin are still pretty rough to level? I'm gonna stick with Druid anyways, but I'm curious.

Also there's lots of items on the wiki that are greyed out and have notes about how they were added in Velious or post-Velious, are those in-game probably or not? Like the druid spell to teleport to surefall glade, is that in-game on 1999 or no?

Also general EQ question, what exactly does succor do? Like its an evacuate spell for getting away quickly, right? So is it just a faster teleport? Most of the succor / egress spells have a specific zone, does it mean it teleports you to that zone quickly or does it mean only if you're in that zone that you can cast it to get to a safe spot? Then later on I think Wizard gets a simple 'succor' spell, does that work for any zone? Seems awfully limited to only have succor for a few specific zones.

Like druid gets Succor: Butcher at 34. Are you ever going to be leveling in BB where you need to evac once you're 34+? Or can you cast it from anywhere, just making it a faster teleport spell?

Hexel posted:

I'll be around all day chillin in the tunnel. I dont mind tossing out 500p for a transfer since its kind of a hassle, I need to move 6 bags of gear and a pile of plat from my shaman and enchanter to my monk. My drat alt-itis burnt me out and I wanna delete those guys and just have my monk :shibe:

Yeah man hit me up, I'm happy to do grunt work for some spare plat here and there. :) I'm at work ATM but I'll be on for sure after I get off and probably a good bit this weekend.

I was a really bad alt-aholic on live back in the day (I leveled literally every class to at least 10 but I never got much higher than like 25) so I'm trying to stick with one character on 1999 for the most part :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Class penalties will be in for a bit yet, but they were removed during Velious so will probably be gone early next year at the latest. Race penalties will be staying AFAIK. More info on those: http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics#Race.2FClass_Experience_Penalties

The original Evac/Succour ________ line of spells have no requirements and are just fast casting group teleports. Traditionally, if you're grouping as a wiz/dru you would keep one loaded for when poo poo hit the fan (overpull, train, AFK healer, whatever).

The Kunark era adds these types of spells for Skyfire (Winds of the North/Tishan's Relocation) and Emerald Jungle (Winds of the South/Markar's Relocation) with the added requirement that you must be inside a Kunark dungeon in order for them to work.

Evacuate/Succour (level 57 wiz/dru) are group teleports to the designated safe spot in a zone (Necro 55 spell Levant does this also but just for the caster). This was originally the loc 0, 0 in many old world zones, but in a lot of zones it's somewhere nice and out of the way of mobs or the zone-in. Notably, it can be used to get across West Karana when you're heading to Qeynos. Here's a list of safe spots if you're interested: http://wiki.project1999.com/Travel_Guide#Evacuate_Locations

Thanks, poo poo's a little confusing :cheeky: That's more or less what I assumed it just seemed kinda weird so I thought there was maybe more to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Why do illusion spells break when you zone? Its definitely intentional design since normal buffs carry through zones. Is there some way you could exploit that or something?

I just remember in vanilla being screwed when my dark elf enchanter zoned through freeport and got caught by a guard with my illusion down. Right now I'm playing a good character so its no big deal, but I'm curious why it was deemed necessary in the first place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

You're putting too much thought into this, remember you're talking about Everquest, the game that puts +int on druid planar gear. EQ was from an era before RPG's were streamlined into bear rear end turn-in quests gearscores and LFG que buttons. A time when you could order Pizza Hut without tabbing out of your game.

Hahaha, fair enough :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Friend of mine came over and we were gonna play a bit but it wouldn't let us both log in, I guess because it saw two people on the same IP and they have rules against multiboxing.

So is playing P99 on a LAN like pretty much verboten? Or is there some workaround, or can I like petition a GM or what?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sweet! Hit 20, died and de-leveled, dinged back to 20, and on my way through Highpass I checked for Dyllin Starsine for the Testament of Valenar quest. I haven't seen him pop yet but hey, there he was! He conned blue but there were some red con patrolling smugglers so I asked a local bard who was high level to help out, she ran over but I killed Dyllin so fast I managed to get out before any smugglers agro'd so I guess I could have soloed it after all. Good deal, on my way to Queynos now to turn this in and grab the book. :dance:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for! Glad to see there's a process in place, I don't mind explaining my situation to people. I'm definitely not trying to box. I have a hard enough time not dying with one char lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dirt posted:

Summoned a :downs: Cylops/Hill Giant hybrid in WC while waiting for a port.

That thing just doesn't look right.

Haha, I saw that in-game. Weird looking.

Hexel posted:

One of my great joys back in 2001 or whenever Velious released on live was monster summoning a sand giant in oasis and running to the docks with it. Griffon in EC tunnel was fun too.

My favorite things back in the day were charming young kodiaks in nektulos and then going invis next to the newbie log, turning into a tree in front of Felwithe to block the entrance, and turning into an elevator button next to the lifts in Kelethin so newbies couldn't figure out which one to click on. :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Hey, yet another victim of not binding the Autoattack key to something other than loving A. It killed me back in 1999 and it just got me again.

I bound it to Q for awhile but then I accidentally fat-fingered it on a guard and got myself smashed good, so I moved it again. :v:

lemonslol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQef-p_QkwM

I like to imagine that this kind of person is everyone I group with.

loving lol.

I'm not embarrassed to admit I have a complete in box copy of Everquest, although I have quite a few classic PC games. None of the expansions though, lost those long ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For me ~ is target nearest, 1 is auto-attack and 2 is assist.

then 3-7 are bound to things like /loc, /corpse, etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Anyone else feeling the Velious pain at level 60? I've died so many times I nearly lost the level.

Oh wow. I never hit max in EQ so I never even thought about the idea of hitting max level and then falling back down again from post-max deaths. That's insane.

I guess that's everquest for you. :darksouls:

On the one hand it'd be nice if you got locked in once you hit the cap but on the other hand I guess people could be pretty careless then, its nice having videogames where death actually has an impact and makes you really dread bad things happening to your character. Oof that sucks though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Worst feeling in everquest: Logging in to your character at their bind point, naked, with no idea how you died or where. :ohdear:

Luckily that wasn't my situation, I just didn't know exactly how I died, but I could guess. And I knew where. Whoops.

Was grinding out 24 last night with a group in lake of ill omen, got it down to one yellow bubble and although I was feeling kinda tired (and a little drunk) I decided I could probably ding in less than an hour and I should just stick it out. Woke up passed out on top of my bed about an hour later, look over and my character is naked. Welp.

Ran back to corpse and managed to loot it without issue using invis and logged off. No biggie. Checking the chat log it looks like some high level dude trained a bunch of mobs through our area after I nodded off?

Everquest.

Anyways I'm just a bit from 24, I'll def get it tonight. Then new spells, and just 5 levels to go before I can ferry guild mates around. (And teleport strangers for mad cash)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:munch: Dunno about y'all but I find this to be loving hilarious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hey uh... some more dumb newbie questions that I'm having trouble getting answered through google or the wiki :shobon:

If an item has a proc, I guess that has a level requirement and there's no way to see what level it requires in-game?

If an item has an effect, that's something you trigger, it doesn't proc on its own right? Do you just right click on the item in your inventory? Or drag it to your hotbar and press the button? either?

If the item has an effect an it says "any slot", does that mean any equipped slot or any slot period? Can you use it from inside a bag?
Stuff like leatherfoot raider skullcap. Only halflings can equip, so does that mean only halflings can use the teleport? Not that I need it personally, just curious.
Then again potions say "any slot" so does that mean you can use them from in a bag?

I guess that's the difference between "any slot" and "any slot / can equip" ? Does "combat" effect slot mean it has to be equipped as primary or secondary, or that it has to be used during combat, or that it procs during combat, or what?

Thanks much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Level reqs on procs (or clickies) aren't visible in game, no. They were originally discovered by trial and error and, obviously, we know all of them now.

Item effects include everything from procs like Ykesha on a SSoY, to clickies like grim aura on a Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring, to worn effects like Haste on an FBSS.

"Any slot" on a clicky item means that you can use it from inventory or when equipped. You just can't have it in a bag - it has to be in a normal inventory slot. This usually means you can use the clicky effect even if you aren't the appropriate race/class to wear the item. The WC gate on Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap is one such effect. DE Illusion on the original Guise of the Deceiver is another.
"Must equip" means that you have to have the item equipped in order to use it, so you have to be the appropriate race/class in order to use the effect. The DE Illusion on Mask of Deception is like this so you must be a bard or rogue to use it.

"Combat" means it's a proc and you have to be hitting stuff with it equipped for it to have a chance to go off. Higher Dex increases this chance.

And even though you didn't ask about it "Worn" means that you have to be wearing the item for whatever effect it has to work (see Fungus Covered Scale Tunic vs. Fungus Covered Great Staff).

Thanks a bunch. I had kinda figured most of this like the stuff I asked about before but with EQ its all clear as mud in-game, so its good to get a confident answer.

Are tradeskills worth the investment on 1999? Looking at most of them it'd cost a good bit to level up, and then you can't even make much that's good with it.

Like why would you waste time leveling tailoring just to make some +AC gear when people already know where all the best stuff is that gives you good stats and how to farm it? There's a few odd items that seem useful, but for the most part it seems not worth bothering with. Or am I missing something?
I guess jewelcrafting seems useful, but the other ones not so much.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 25, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Welp. drat Everquest.

Got to 24 and got wolf form, had fun running around in wolf form. Everybody seemed pretty chill to me, even guards that used to con ready to attack like the Ogok guards chill out when I'm in wolf form and let me not only pass but even buy and sell from vendors.

So I get pretty comfortable with wolf form, I'm over in kunark and I head to Firiona Vie and

An explorer hits you for <damage>
An explorer starts casting a spell

What the gently caress? So everywhere else wolf form is safe but in Firiona Vie of all places the NPCs are KOS to wolf form? Is that how it was in classic? :v: Feels just a little unfair. Even the guards seemed fine with it but the explorers freak the gently caress out. And sure enough when wolf form isn't active the explorers all con warmly.

I mean I guess it makes sense that some explorers see a wolf in the city and beat him up, but considering all the other towns in Norrath seem to be chill with dogs running wild, that's a bit of a surprise.
Or was that a bug? I'm pretty sure I didn't hit autoattack or anything like that. I guess I could put wolf form back on and go con the explorers but I don't want to take the risk.

Anarch posted:

No, and yes. In classic, most trade skills are fairly expensive to raise with limited payoff. Also note that given the lifespan of the server all trade skills are essentially covered.

The following I consider "good" trade skills:
Alchemy for shamans (duh) - everyone loves pots!
Fletching for rangers - make your own arrows to save money!
Jewelcraft for enchanters - everyone loves jewelry!
Tailoring for druids and casters - backpacks and other cool gear!

Other than that, a few high end quests like Coldain Shawl and Coldain Ring make good use of trade skills.

Yeah Alchemy and Jewelcraft definitely seem worth it. I'm a Druid though so I was looking at Tailoring but it seriously seems like the only things worth making are backpacks. The armor is pretty much entirely all worse than the gear I've already got. In fact, other than Wu's its all just +AC which seems really pointless with the flowing economy of 1999. Wu's set has some stats but still not great, and monk only!

The only exception is the Tunare's set, which requires over 200 skill and barely gives a couple points of WIS and CHA, and also requires blacksmithing components. Not nearly worth the investment. I'll just take advantage of other people who have tailoring if I need it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just shy of level 26 :toot:

So the wiki has a whole lot of information in the mechanics section about how much XP you need per level and where the hell levels are and whatnot, and how much xp each party member gets based on their level and race/class modifiers and stuff, that all makes sense.

But one thing I've never seen explained which isn't clear from the game (because its all just relative bars moving) is the exp you get per kill based on what the monster cons to you, or based on the level of the monster, or what?

Like lets say it takes 3x as much xp to get from 55 to 56 as from 50 to 51 or whatever. Does that really mean it takes 3x as long, or does that mean that mobs at level 55 are giving out more exp? Or both? (As long as the ratio wasn't equal you could have different fractions)

E: Looks like there is a tiny section about mob exp on the game mechanics wiki, so it is based on both con AND level, but con only matters as far as dark blue or up? So the only reason you get more exp from a red mob than a dark blue is because its slightly higher level? But light blue and green inherently give less than they otherwise would? Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I found a great group at the sarnak fort in lake of ill omen and let it ride, got just shy of 3 levels. I'm real close to 29 and new spells including my first group teleports :toot: but I've been playing for hours and need a break. I'll grind out those last couple bubbles tomorrow morning.