Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hit 29 over the weekend and got my teleport spells, already made a few hundred plat easy just running around meeting up with people and teleporting them to different places.

Now I gotta grind to 34 so I get even more spells :downs:

Kalaxus posted:

I managed to grind my way to 7 in Nek Forest but am now stuck with mobs that barely give any xp and mobs that are so strong they require HT to even have a shot of soloing. Back in 1999, I smuggled myself out to Crushbone for these levels with my SK not realising just how many damned warrior faction DEs there are scattered around Neriak. The pyramid and monoliths in nek forest spawn way too many mummies, and fighting the zombies is like 20% chance of victory with HT and even if I win disease increases downtime by around 5x or so it seems. Guess I have to look into those guilds you all been mentioning to level up

If you see me online and need some help send me a tell and I'll come powerlevel you for a few levels. Especially at night if I'm drunk sometimes I'd rather just run around power leveling some newbie rather than get my rear end killed trying to level anyhow. But yeah I'd head to EC at that point rather than try to grind in Nektulos forever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Summit posted:

Started a human SK — some very interesting faction problems with that combination. You start out with all factions of Qeynos on the cusp of hating you. Already walked into a few buildings and had some random NPC beat my face in. Pretty sure I can't do the Gnoll Fang quest until I'm ready to leave the area as I'm already dubious with every guard and I'll be threatening with corrupts after just a few turn ins.

Yeah, in some ways it'd be easier to be a dark elf or troll or ogre SK instead, at least then your faction would be more obvious. But human SK has its advantages too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Summit posted:

Ogre or Iksar would be the best choice but I went with Human to see a different side of things. I was curious about the challenge of being a 'good' race but a bad class. I've also never seen much of the Qeynos side of the continent. Freeport would be more ideal leveling for sure and I'll probably head over there eventually, but it was not an option (probably because I went with Bertox as a religion). So far I'm not regretting the choice, even if it's slower. It's very immersive to be concerned about faction. I'm checking around corners constantly and of course I have to go into the sewers to train/sell for max value. Feels like being a real evil dude rather than just another Ogre in Ogretown. So far I've run into two NPCs that were KOS, one in a sewing shop who must have been upstairs from the entrance. The other was a Barbarian in the bar near the docks. Not sure what faction they are on since I am able to walk around freely past the guards and merchants otherwise.

Anyone have any good stories about rarer class combos? Advantages in the way of items people aren't normally familiar with? On live my main was a human ranger. Not many people were really aware that was an option so I would commonly get comments about thinking I was a Rogue until I cast a spell. Wasn't much different beyond that though. You start in Surefall Glade which is a neat little out of the way zone for human druids and rangers. It's opposite Qeynos. I made my way over to elf lands pretty quickly though, having always been more familiar with those zones.

Yeah as long as you know what you're getting into that could be a fun twist. I've been thinking about making an erudite necro or something like that myself, since I've seen so little of that side of things. Paineel has to be the least traveled city in the game.

Back in live I played a dark elf enchanter, it was fun because as long as you're agnostic you can illusion yourself and cast alliance and get past most of the downside of being an evil race, but then you could go home to Neriak and chill with the other evil elves. Course if you're a good enchanter you can just cast illusion dark elf :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Anyone got experience leveling a wizard? Just hit 27 and feeling the exp wall start to creep in. Is it worth the effort?

I'd say no, wizard isn't the most fun. You're real close to group teleport spells though, might wanna grind those out and join Dial for awhile, make some easy plat, and then twink another char.

Or stick with the wizard, I don't know. Ymmv.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thinking about rolling a melee class to get a break from druid here and there, decided on SK, agonizing over race choice.
I really don't want to be a Ogre or Troll. They're hideously ugly and they're huge.

But drat, it seems like they're the way to go because of slam. That seems really good? Without it you've gotta wear a shield and bash, but 2h weapons seem pretty great.
Then Troll also has regen, which is huge. But that xp penalty hurts so bad on top of SK.

I think I've narrowed it down to Dark elf or Iksar, both sound like fun. Iksar's got the health regen but more exp penalty. Hm.
Is making an SK without slam a huge mistake?

Dirt posted:

More new rules! :

No more Rogue/Shaman twinks with epic I guess.

MQ's will probably still sell for a decent amount though.

I am all for this, but what about "its classic!" ? :cheeky:

Its been said before, but the devs are all for bending the rules on classic when it comes to loving people over, just not when it comes to helping people.

Still I can't afford epic twinks so I'm cool with nobody else getting them either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

If you roll Iksar, I can craft you cultural armor (lol Banded armor) or do the Dreadscale armor quests to help you get started.

I really like dark elves and I grew up in Neriak back in the real 1999, but I haven't played much Iksar at all so maybe I should try that out. I'm down for new experiences.

The exp penalty hurts pretty bad, but the regen is nice and at least the SK penalty should be going away before too long...

This'll just be an alt for variety here and there though, so I may not be playing enough to be worth you going way out of your way to help me do quests or whatever. Still, I appreciate it and may take you up on that.

I've got a few items in my bank that should help starting out as SK easier, like a sarnak emblazened tabard and a decent 2h sword, some okay armor pieces here and there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh god, who designed Cabilis? This is my first time really exploring it in detail and I can't loving handle all these awful ladders.

They even created a nice slanted-ladder model which is super easy to climb but for some reason they still use straight-up ladders all over the place, many of which seem to require you to make a jumping leap off the top to reach the next level? (:psyduck:)

I may seriously go back to dark elf just to get out of this loving city. What am I doing wrong? How do I loving climb a ladder? lol.

E: Downloaded WinEQ2 and now I can actually climb the ladders, must have been some bug with my CPU running too fast or something. Still, its gone from "literally impossible" to "extremely frustrating", its still tricky to jump off the ladders. And the city is full of froglok slaves that agro? What the hell?
Maybe I'll say 'gently caress min-maxing' and just play the dark elf. Playing on WinEQ2 also seems to make the game kinda choppy.

E2: Okay wow, that health regen is pretty insane. Maybe I'll stick with it a bit.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 1, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

iNteg posted:

the EQPlayNice is awesome for that. I have my FPS set to 100 foreground and background, i can finally tab out and not immediately sink when levitated, however i actually take fall damage now.

Oh nice, yeah I've noticed the alt-tab dropping me like a stone when levitating and was wondering what that was about.

Also I've seen my HP and MP go up and down back and forth which was really confusing. (No doubt the client was estimating one value and then the server was like "hell no, you haven't healed that much yet" and the client kept thrashing back and forth)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

megalodong posted:

In ffxi you could speed hack (and get banned by accident) if your cpu was overclocked. It just seems to be a thing from games in that era.

I had that happen in EQ back in live actually. On accident once while playing with an overclocked machine back in like 2000 suddenly the whole game was really really fast. Like I would hit auto-attack and then instantly 30 rounds of combat text would pop up all at once. I would start running and move faster than if I had a sow than if I didn't. I put in a /petition about it and then went running around EC at lightspeed. By the time the GM responded I kinda regretted putting in a ticket because it was helping me level faster, but he told me I had to log out and restart the game, which fixed it. Oh well, fun stuff! :downs:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Another funky but good class/race combo, Halfling warrior can be surprisingly good. You can use the sneak to pull like a rogue.

Now what about especially terrible class/race combos that you'd only play by accident or as a challenge?
Erudite Paladin is a good one, I would imagine Gnome and Wood Elf warrior is pretty rough, Human casters seem to have pretty bad starting stats.

Hahaha, just stumbled across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFXUYl2ljqI now I want to roll a dwarf.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Apparently early in EQ development erudites were known as "High men" :350: (similar to 'high elves')

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pilsner posted:

That's a pretty cool idea. I'm thinking I could quickly flash a line from the old to the new point, if the distance is longer than a reasonable amount of pixels. I'll put it on the todo list.

While we're talking "nice to have" features, if you could have a "breadcrumb mode" where it'd keep a history of your past locs, possibly as different colored dots, would be super useful. Especially if you could draw a line between them so you had a rough version of your path.

It'd also be nice if you could automatically detect "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT" that isn't followed by "You have entered <zone>" so you can tell the player died, and then if they do a /loc rather than deleting the old loc, keep it on the map as a "corpse waypoint". (Well, I guess if you weren't bound in-zone it'd be followed by a zone switch so it'd be hard to parse deaths from the log, hm.) Well, does it just log "you have died" ? That'd be easy.

Good bit of work to implement though, and I don't know how far you can go before 1999 thinks its cheating. Catching a /loc before you die should be fair game though.

Dirt posted:

More goons need to play P1999.

You guys missed drunk metal band chat tonight.

Shame.

Seriously drunk metal chat was good times.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 3, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eerkik posted:

I've always been curious about oldschool eq and would love to try this but man is it just too many hoops to jump through to acquire Everquest Platinum. Hell if I could just buy the base game I'd be willing to do that even, but noooooooo

Instead I'll just keep reading this thread and live eq vicariously through somethingawful

Its not too hard to find if you look around :ninja:

You should play. One of us, one of us...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Niedar posted:

I spent like 30 minutes coming up with this.

It basically just plots a curved dotted line from past locations. It doesn't have different colors and it doesn't show the /loc points that the line runs through right now but it could be useful. I made it use the 10 most recent locations but that could be something that could be configurable. Let me know if this is kind of what you were wanting and i can maybe work on it a little more and send the code to Pilsner if he wants to include it.

Yeah dude that's pretty awesome. If you could configure how "long" the trail was that'd be pretty sweet.

What happens if you die or zone out, does it clear the trail history?

Mercury_Storm posted:

In the original game I figured out how to do this on my own and it was pretty awesome. Then later they patched it so that Bard point-blank damage-over-time songs did ZERO damage if the monster affected was moving at all. ZERO. Game was pretty much dead to me at that point.

I remember they also patched kiting in general some number of years or so before so that DOTs did a fuckload less damage if the monster was moving as well, but took it out much later after several more years of people complaining how stupid it was. Did they put that in here too for the sake of being "classic"?

Yes on P1999 DOTs will do like half damage if the mob is moving when they tick. Its a little annoying but you can work around it, root-rot if that's what you're looking for or otherwise kite with DD or quad-kite with AOE.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Niedar posted:

Yeah, setting the length of the trail is probably better than the number of points and is something I can change with a little more effort. As for clearing the trail history on zone out, it doesn't right now but would only take a minute to add. Can you tell me if there is a message logged when you die? I don't have a client set up to run right now so I can not test it to find out. If there is I can look at adding clearing the trail on death and also put a marker on the map when you die with the last loc you were at.

Yeah putting an automatic marker when you die would be legit super useful. If I'm smart enough I hit /loc but then I've gotta figure out where on the map that is manually after I spawn, having a marker would be super convenient.

Looks like "you have been slain" is the key phrase you'd look for, and I guess just grab the most recent /loc before that ideally.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Hey, does anyone know if the devs have just stopped granting IP exemptions? It's been 3 weeks and we've put in multiple requests and never gotten an answer. It never took more than a day or two before but it sucks being totally unable to play because I moved.

My original plan to reignite SLAMDUNKATRON on Red with Velious has been totally derailed

Yeah I've been waiting a few weeks now and its pretty lame :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Primaris posted:

What level are the goons on blue?

We're all spread out across our characters and alts. I've got a 30 and a 6, a few 30s, a few goons have characters 40-60 and everybody's got some kinda alt in the 0-20 range.

Not a ton of active players but there's usually ~3 people getting drunk in guild chat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Erdricks posted:

Charming monsters is so much fun. I totally saved my group last night from a terrible pull by mezzing one mob, charming another, and then having the charmed mob tank the named with a quickness/slow combo. What a rush!

Enc is easily one of the most if not the most fun class to play in the game. It doesn't seem so when you're comparing it to like necro or mag or whatever when you're first learning about the classes, but the reality is enc is pretty amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashenden posted:

Tried to do a bit of PLing in CB and some high level named Gamamin (something like that) shot me down to 30% and dotted me. Pretty sure all of the lowbies must have got trained and died when I plugged at zoneline, oops.

And this is why I play on blue :cheeky:

Eerkik posted:

So to level up I should just be grinding the mobs outside qeynos early on right? I turned in my tattered note thing and am level 2 and a half but drat these bats and skeletons and gnolls give pisspoor experience

What class are you playing? The first few levels go slow, but if you're a caster then it should pick up really fast. If you're melee, re-roll a caster unless you have tons of plat to twink yourself with.

Look up the quests you can do in Qeynos so that you're getting bonus XP every few kills, makes it go way way way faster. Possibly look into getting teleported over to gfay for easy 24/7 groups and good crushbone belt experience.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 10, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eerkik posted:

My phone died while replying last night and I fell asleep at the login screen ha. I'm a hooman shadow knight

Now that I've refreshed the thread thanks for all the advice guys! The op says most goons are on blue, is that still the case? That's where I rolled because of that and the pop difference. Might just reroll as some sort of caster if thars not the same case still, or if it's really worth it. Magician seems rad as well as wizard for magical teleporting, and I love the idea of enchanter

Be aware that for now SK has a 40% exp penalty, which loving hurts. And Its much easier going if you can twink yourself with good gear.

I'd advise playing a Shaman, Enchanter, Druid, Cleric, Necromancer or Magician as your first major character. Way easier and way more fun the first time through.

I personally love the flavor of a magician, and they're pretty fun to play and not too hard. You can solo good or group okay. Necros are kinda the same thing but better, but they're also a bit more complicated.

Wizard and Warrior are the least fun classes in the game and should be avoided at all costs.

Lots of goons on Red, but Red is the PvP server where you'll get ganked with no warning from twinks, so... gently caress that noise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Erdricks posted:

I have only played on red so far - how busy are good camps on blue?

Very busy; its why I play on blue but it also sometimes sucks. All the major obvious named camps are camped pretty drat often, which when you're trying to find a group is pretty sweet (if they aren't full) but if you're doing some solo camp for money can kinda suck.

All the raid bosses are obviously camped 24/7 and have a schedule and poo poo, any rare spawn mobs are pretty often camped unless they're low level or whatever. But there's still some good spawns that most people don't seem to even know about, so its hit or miss for what's camped all the time.

Still, for me playing EQ is all about playing with other people, the fact that blue has such a healthy population is why I'm playing 1999 much less blue.

Red's xp bonus is obviously great but I can't imagine dealing with gankers and stuff. I just want to chill with people in camps and talk about random poo poo while medding and then pull some crap and blow it up for awhile without a care in the world*

*Other than the occasional train in some zones

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashenden posted:

Also anybody able to transfer some trash for me in Feerrott on Blue?

I could do a transfer on my druid easy enough, when you wanna do it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HoboTech posted:

I played original EQ back in '99 with an old friend of mine in middle school, and when I saw P99 I knew I had to relive the old days. So far I'm really enjoying it! I've gotten way farther than I ever did as a dumb kid messing around on my friend's eMachine.

Right now I'm on Blue with a level 16 Ogre Shaman named Uggrut, and things have been going well as a solo-er. I finally figured out how to root/rot semi-effectively, learned when to use Gate to get out of a bad situation, and I've found my own little spot in the Rathefear mountains to safely grind some orcs/kodiaks (I know people say I should be in Oasis or Kurn's but those places are way too crowded and I kept dying in Oasis). I want to explore Lake Rathefear in a couple of levels and maybe camp some aviak guards.

Right on dude, you should join the goon guild if you can make your way to EC at some point, if only to talk about stupid poo poo with us and pass the time.

And kind goons will throw you free pp to get started.

HoboTech posted:

I have some questions though:
Is it normal for a solo-er at my level to fill one bubble of exp an hour?
When do Shamans fully come into their own? Any tips?
Some cool person gave me a Spear of Mortification but is there any other gear I should be looking for?
Finally, people keep talking about Banded Armor but I've never seen any and my plat is limited - is leather good enough for now?

Any tips would be welcome. I'll be online for most of the evening as Uggrut after like 5pm (EST). Thanks!

1. No, that's pretty slow exp, especially at that level. But EQ is the kind of game where subtle changes in how you play can make a huge difference, I've spent all night grinding out one level over hours and hours and then managed to get several levels the next day in much less time, things like that. It can matter if you're dying, if you find a good group, if you know a good camp spot, stuff like that. Also being aware of quests is pretty huge.

2. Shamans aren't really bad AFAIK but they really out-class Druids at like... 30-40? Not for awhile. But you should be still pretty good at low level.

3. Keep your eye out for any of this gear you can get for cheap:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Pre_Planar_Gear#Shaman

When in doubt, consult the wiki. Its not completely up-to-date but its better than anything else out there when it comes to p1999 reference.

Banded armor is crafted so if you go to EC tunnel you are guaranteed to have somebody willing to sell you some or make you some and sell it to you. Its pretty cheap, people usually charge pp equal to the amount of AC you're getting. Its not as good as armor with +stats but its better than nothing, especially for low-level melee.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Banded_Armor_Set

Leather works but its also crappy, you should get banded or honestly better than banded pretty much ASAP. Join the goon guild, we'll give you a few hundred PP for free and you can go shopping. :)

tyler is a joke posted:

Hey friends. I ran out of money and social life and girlfriend so I think I'm going to start playing again since it's free.

I was Karmapa and Avalok (both level 39, monk and enchanter respectively). I also think I'm going to try some new characters if anyone wants to start a leveling group. I'm down to play a Cleric or Shaman if anyone wants to team up with either of those. I don't know how much I'll actually be able to play but I like you. This would be on blue. I have no interest in red.

Sweet dude, one of us, one of us, gooble gobble.

gently caress red; smoke blue every day. Or whatever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Summit posted:

Can I just say that I really dislike Oasis? It's one of the most boring zones to level in. It's only redeeming quality is that a lot of people seem to go there so groups are easy to get. That's it.

- No loot to get; 99% of the time you just get worthless meat and no coin loot at all
- No real exploration or sense of danger, just sitting on a beach
- Bad XP modifier
- No interesting mobs besides giants that one shot you

It's probably as soulless of an experience as you can get in this game, which is saying something because EverQuest is at its core a much slower game in general.

Yeah, I grouped in Oasis back in the day but mostly because that's where people were to group with and I didn't know any better.

I have yet to kill a single mob in Oasis in 1999 I think, definitely haven't camped there. There's so many other options that work better.

You are leaving out Lockjaw who drops some okay loot, and the spectres which are fun mobs at higher level, but yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HoboTech posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll try to hit 17 after work and then make the run to EC to see who's around. Should I just start shouting to see who's a goon? I'd love to have people to shoot the poo poo with while camping, and the last person I interacted with tried to do erotic roleplay with me. That kind of scared me off from being social for a while.

Either way I'll bring what plat I have and try to get some banded armor. A little dismayed to hear my rate of exp is sub par, though.

Totally agree. Oasis is my least favorite zone so far. That's why I moved to the mountains.

Yeah like Dirt said there's not enough of us to shout, use /who all to find some goons until you're in the guild. That said, half the goons on blue have chars in other guilds for raiding or what have you. There's not a lot of us but those who are around are chill and will seriously help you out.

And don't be dismayed, if you're cool with grinding out levels just enjoy the journey, there's no rush to hit the level cap. And if anything that should give you some optimism, you could figure out some new tricks and level even faster. For most people the length of the grind is pretty daunting so knowing that you don't have to spend THAT much time should be a good thing, haha. The levels definitely slow down the higher you get too, and hell levels take loving forever.

I don't exactly keep spreadsheets of my time spent playing vs exp gained though so maybe I'm just estimating bad. There's hours where I get no exp or barely any (Trading, running around, questing, buffing newbies while drunk) but if I'm seriously soloing or camping I'd like to think its a bit faster than that. Not like 10x or anything though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashenden posted:

Also, I've always wondered: Why do I have almost no music? I think I only have character screen, Neriak Forest, and combat.

I have the same problem, its mildly annoying but I have all the EQ music long memorized, and I usually have the volume turned down so I can watch Netflix too.

But if you find a solution lemme know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kefit posted:

I'm currently poking around the Overthere as my first experience with Kunark. Might try the Warslick's Woods giant fort soon. As far as I can tell from the wiki, as a barb shaman there's basically nowhere at all for me to sell and bank aside from Firiona Vie, which is super far away and a dangerous trip. What are my options for taking care of loot here? The boat ride is long, and ports will only get me to Dreadlands, which may as well be the rear end end of nowhere relative to the Overthere.

FV is probably your best bet really. You can invis, so as long as you watch skeletons and use levitate and sow it shouldn't be too dangerous. Go from WW to LoIo to FV.

There's probably some neutral NPC vendor in a nearby zone I don't know about though, I'm no expert on Kunark.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pathos posted:

I've spent the last four or five hours getting everything for the Stein of Moggok. Now I've discovered I won't be able to go turn in the stuff in Ogguk but I'm probably KOS there. Is there a way for an Erudite without illusion spells to get in there to turn it in? Grinding rep (on what?) for hours? Getting someone else to cast it on me and booking it? Any ideas?

Wolf form will do it for sure, but I'm not high enough level to cast shared yet.

Erdricks posted:

Doesn't invisibility turn npcs faction neutral?

Yeah I think you can do that but then when you turn in the quest you'll turn visible and they'll kill you. Its costly but one way to do it I guess.

If it was any easier, people would sell steins all day. They already do. As-is, its a way for enchanters mostly to make money selling them to other people. If you're a non-chanter its easier to just buy one, but yeah you can get wolf form to do it too.

Seems silly to me that enchanters never get the ability to illusion other players. Like at a few levels higher they should get shared illusions.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 13, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You could probably find some druid that's chilling in tunnel, get them to port over to ferrott and share wolf form with you and run it in. You'd have to get them to cast it on you after you zone in, but you could probably find somebody willing to do it for cheaper than the full cost of a stein.

Just use /who and look for high-level druids who ain't got anything better going on lol

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 13, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I've posted about that phenomenon before. I think its actually more of an issue of using the modern client with P1999 servers, the client expects different values so its constantly being corrected by the P1999 values. In theory the P1999 modified files should account for that, but it doesn't seem to work out most of the time.

Its not simply that sometimes you're sitting when the client calculates and then you stand up and then the server gets the wrong value, if anything that'd probably happen backwards because the client would have more up-to-date information, so you'd have a scenario where you're standing and then you sit down right as it ticks, and the client calculates a full med tick since you're sitting but the server didn't yet get the sitting update packet so it calculates standing mana and then finds out you sit down after, and then corrects the client on how much mana was gained.

It could be a lot of things really, but whatever the cause its definitely a bit messy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kalaxus posted:

I spent all day yesterday doing Necromancer Skullcap Apprentice 1 and 2, how badly did I waste my time? looking ahead in 8 more levels if I grind up 2 crafting skills I currently have 0 in and find some lore drops I can get a +2 Int hat at level 14ish, need a guide on which quests are complete waste of time, which are must dos and which are quirky interesting side fun with no real reward.

Now I have an Iksar Necro level 6 named Soultrader, one sitting even with quest nonsense nearly caught me up to my DE SK who limped to 7 in like 5 sittings.

Honest answer: pretty big waste of time (though honestly so is literally everything in this videogame, so if you had fun doing the quest who gives a gently caress)

Edit: well, the Cabilis quests can have good results later on, and I think you have to do each step of the quest before you can do the next, so maybe not such a waste of time in the long run :) Course you could always do it later when you one-shot all these low level mobs.

Join the guild, beg for us to give you a few hundred PP, then you can buy gear that gives you much more than just +2 int.

Then focus on just getting more XP, if anything casters are far less gear dependent than melee. Save most of your plat for new spells, they'll give you huge bang for your buck. Always buy your new spells, and as long as you can afford them don't sweat it.

If you can get up to like level 15 you can start making some serious pp off bronze weapons on aviaks or sisters. If you can get up to more like 30 then you have way more options and you'll be making way more money.

The amount of money you can make is directly correlated with your level, so if you're a low level caster just focus on getting levels.
Meanwhile if you're melee, re-roll a caster, get several levels, earn money, twink your melee, and then go back to leveling melee :cheeky:

I wouldn't even really bother getting gear that isn't in this list:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Pre_Planar_Gear#Necromancer
For the most part just focus on getting levels, as boring as that is.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 14, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashenden posted:

Which Aviaks are those at 15? Anywhere nearby for evils to sell? How is the exp? I could use some money and Kurn's Tower is pretty ridiculously overpopulated. Though it's still great experience.

I'm not sure exactly what level they are or where you can sell, I haven't done em myself, but people talk about em all the time. I'm pretty sure there's a vendor around somewhere, no clue about evil friendliness though somebody else can speak up.

Lake Rathetear, near the arena zoneline. Aviaks should be level 8-12. (Guards are apparently 16-20)

E: Looks like there's an Ogre merchant in zone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They're making a hardcore pvp server :stonk: I'll stick with blue thank you very much.

quote:

We are also overdue to enable the January 2001 era on all servers. This will include changes to root/snare stacking, removal of the Class XP penalties + group shared XP modifications, and more. We are able to enable these eras while the server is running, but we identified some issues that will require a patch before we turn it on. This will be happening this week or weekend.

This bodes well for my Iksar SK.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashenden posted:

I thought I had more time on my shaman before my monk would start leveling 24% faster. Now what?! Also what level is your SK?

5 lol, I just made him. Didn't feel like leveling too much with that 68% exp penalty :suicide:

Now its just gonna be 20%, that's much much less horrible.

Dirt posted:

Also that hard core pvp server sounds absolutely retarded.

Seriously.

"You know what Everquest needs? PERMADEATH." Said nobody in the history of loving ever.

It'd be stupid even if it was PvE, but with PvP its double stupid. Now you grind for hours to level 20 until some level 60 gank squad rolls through and whoops, you're dead for good, start over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eerkik posted:

I never took anyones advice of rerolling into a magician, still a shadowknight. Finally hit level 3

Dude.

Duuuuuuuude.

At least the hybrid penalty is going away, but ... seriously consider rolling a caster instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eerkik posted:

I've thoigh a lot about re rolling a magician but it's hard to justify with the amount of effort went into learning qeynos to the point that I can navigate myself from the gates of north qeynos to my class trainer semi reliably (i still get lost though, but I have a vague idea of where to go and know that I'm close when I hit the tent square )

I love the sense of exploration and that it's an actual world in this game. The maze like city without a map is honestly a good thing in a very hallenging way.

Yeah I love exploring in everquest. But that's all the more reason to create a new character! You can learn a new city. Finding your way to a new class trainer won't be that hard, and you can ask us to show you around if you like.

IMO Qeynos and Freeport are the most confusing and stupid cities, although they do give you that "big bustling human city" feel.

Cities I think are really cool: Neriak, Kelethin, Felwithe, Erudin, Highpass

Cities that are okay: Cabilis, Rivervale, Halas, Qeynos

Kefit posted:

I just hit level 30 and oh god it's my first hell level. Killing a mob and seeing your exp % tick up by half of what you were expecting sure is demoralizing.

Good thing there's a double xp bonus coming up eh? Plow through that hell level.

But I'm right there with you, I'm 30 and I'm finally about to ding 31 after grinding forever.

Ramulack posted:

Last night I completed my epic!

Although it is the rogue epic this was my first character I created on p99 a few months ago so 30k is still an awful lot of money for me so purchasing it out-right was never an option. It feels good to both have it (and not be disrespected for being a 51 rogue without an epic) and to have done it the classic way (solo fully-spawned hate sneak and all)!

Now off to earn XP.

I got a Sebilis key earlier this week with a group of friends. At what level could I reasonably get groups there? I have particularly fond memories of wasting my teenage summer days grinding in Sebilis.

loving grats dude! I've never done any epic quests. Doing one on P99 would feel like a huge accomplishment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

retpocileh posted:

I'd rather level in the old world instead of Kunark. My iksar necro is level 7, is there any reason I couldn't just buy spells for the next couple levels and peace out? Is there any reason that I need to stick close to my trainers from this point on?

Not that I can think of. There's the kunark specific class quests but they're not really that important. That's the only thing you'd HAVE to go to cabilis for.

There's necromancer trainers and vendors in old world, although you're going to have problems buying or training at them. If you can stock up on spells now or get other people to buy them for you then there'll be very little issue.

At that point all you'd need would be to train new skills, but you've already got meditate so the next thing I can think of is specialization at 20.

Oh, spell research, you should grab a book of dark bindings in cabilis and throw it in the bank for later.

Banking in general will be a challenge as an Iksar though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashenden posted:

People have talked about something I am a little foggy on, I think turning in bone chips in the sewers of Freeport to let your Iksar Necromancer train and vendor there?

Almost all factions in EQ have people you can kill or quests you can do to change your faction standing.

I don't know the quest you're referring to but there's lots of bone chips quests, probably hand in some bone chips to get more reputation. You're going to need a LOT of them to get an iksar from hated to "you can buy our goods now" though, is the thing. And you have to be careful because raising one freeport faction won't help the others, so you might be cool with the guards but then the paladins are still KOS to you, you feel safe but then some guy comes running out of a building to kill you.

The same applies all over the place, items like that which you can turn in to improve faction are very popular, left gnoll ears improve your highpass and qeynos faction so people buy those all the time, etc.

If you don't have a ton of money to blow you probably won't be able to get your faction to change significantly.

The other trick is that in order to be able to even do the quest you have to not be KOS already. The sewers people might be cool enough with you already, but probably not. So then you'd need like wolf form or skeleton illusion to be able to talk to them, turn in the bone chips, and then get them to talk to you normal.

As a necro though you can just skeleton illusion and most evil races will trade with you as-is, I'm pretty sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

torp0r posted:

Does anyone have good experience/perspective on the raiding game on p99(Blue)? I am interested in trying. I understand the old class rules and have read opinions on both sides, but it's hard to get a sense of what the actual average required weekly time commitment is of what would previously be called R vs C. I know this is going to vary based on which guild, but yeah if someone has experience and can quantify effort that would be super useful information.

I haven't done EQ raiding ever, but the impression I get is that its highly dependent upon the guild. Some guilds are more casual and throw loot around, while others have strict DKP and you'll never earn enough to out-bid the poopsockers in the guild who take everything. So you'd have to do some research into the current blue guilds more than anything.

HTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FINALLY got my IP exemption! For those asking about it, it will happen, be patient. I think it took me a whole month to get a reply, but then it went through smoothly.

Siets posted:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?s=adf61788539a0c803df4757c317a3bc4&t=210959

All of us, red or blue, should roll up new characters on the Discord server when that happens and zerg the poo poo out of people for laughs until the bitter end.

I also submit that we all roll as trolls (for RP reasons of course.)

I am so down for any kind of goon roll shenanigans. Rolling Trolls on Discord actually sounds kinda fun, but I'd probably quit playing after a couple deaths.

We should pick like a certain day / time of the week and all roll chars together and have a slow leveling party going or something.

Eh, then again I've been pretty busy lately, haven't gotten in as much EQ.

I Love You! posted:

If people are interested I could attempt to put the goon guild back together for the Discord server. I used to run the guild over on Red and did a pretty good job of it until my computer blew up and I disappeared for a long time.

There are some issues with this though in that it will be damned hard to actually get people invites and manage the guild due to the dangers of travelling and such. I'm not 100% certain that a guild is going to be the best organizing force. I'll do it if people want but I think smaller squads of up to 6 are maybe the best way to go even if it means butchering each other for profit.

I am still trying to put together the last 2 slots for my lil team's Discord group. The four of us currently playing together tend to play in early evenings EST through regular evening when we are around, and plan to always travel as a full group. If you are a person or a duo looking to play Discord fairly seriously (but not poopsockingly so) and want to be travelling with a full group at all times, you should let me know as soon as possible! We have very good plans and will probably kill a lot of people before dying hideously to a Orc Warrior!

Yeah because of the nature of Discord I think an IRC channel would work better than trying to form a guild in-game.