Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Holocaust is Empire and now the dominant force/zerg on the server. Other Guys is their alt guild and Kingsguard is their 55 twink/griefer guild. TMO is a top blue server guild that moved to red server pretty recently. Currently the server's undergeared resistance guild. Good guys disbanded and most of their members are currently applying to TMO. Azrael is reforming, but many of their members went to TMO. Fresh is gone, thunderdome is the server leveling guild. Friends and Slosh are still around, while Flowers of Happiness is MIA. Lite is back, and there are rumors Nizzar will return. Most goons including myself are in TMO or unguilded right now, but there's definitely goons in Empire.

Yeah, this.

In my experience, basically Empire and Kingsguard are the ones to distrust and always worry about if they're in the same zone as you. They actively did their best to train everyone to death in Kael and ignore LNS and so on and so forth last night. TMO can be a little jumpy but most are super chill when you message them and mention knowing various goons in their guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pwnz0r posted:

On red, I personally sat at the kael/WL ZL for a few hours, and I must have coined a dozen people for 200pp alone, in total group got around 90 kills, more then half were otw to get their CS key.

Bragging about being in the guild that's making Velious unplayable right now? ... very nice

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pwnz0r posted:

You don't even know what guild I am in.

haha - is it true TMO kicked you out?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FranktheBank posted:

I just hit 11 from belts, ill wait for you. Also, I get bind at 14.

Thunderdome is alright by me, one of their officers PL'd a bunch of us in CB. All we had to do was run to him and got thorns/chloro/sln/sow

Yeah, most of us that aren't in raiding guilds (Hardon/anime) or full on insane poopsockers (pwnz0r) are in Thunderdome and pretty chill these days.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I've been waiting a few weeks now and its pretty lame :smith:

they hate red a lot, too

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Anarch posted:

Can you imagine trying to raid? Or actually do anything for that matter? EQ is practically built around players dying to NPCs, and with PVP in the mix it'll be absolute hell Good grief... they should just remove role/anon flags while they're at it.

No one will try to raid, it's an excuse to have fun, ultra high stakes, ultra frustrating PVP.

The timespan will be so short, though, that it won't be like Red where there are a hundred best-in-set PVP types and even the average person has years worth of gearing - which currently makes new players have a near-impossible time trying to kill anyone.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Another good thing about bards are their ability to PL groups with that AoE chords song. I'm sure whoever plays on the server will need that at some point.

Gonna need to be perfect and have a rock steady connection, though - a split second of lag or turning slightly too quick at the wrong time and you're permadead.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ashenden posted:

Curious to hear what you guys are doing, not so interested in the idea of being buddies with Empire but I guess it's how you have to survive on Red99. 54 Monk / 52 Bard here.

Haha, same - after Empire spent two months constantly shittalking and warring with TMO and generally being the terrible, cheating, RMTing people we all know Empire to be, it's a little odd to hear.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a real jerk posted:

are you gonna tell us the guide and character names or is this just more agatha nonsense?

I believe you have already answered your question.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a real jerk posted:

optimistic!

discord is only like 16 months delayed so this seems completely reasonable

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Toxx posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I had a 58 Wizard and sold the account around luclin time. I have no visions of getting that high on p99, so perhaps I'll stick with the Bard for now.

Anyone have any advice for outfitting this guy? I have an Oracle Robe on my wizard and around 30pp. I have no idea how far that'll get me to not being a complete sissy.

For swarm soloing - which was easy on red and I assume much more of a pain on blue - you need practically nothing, other than maybe https://wiki.project1999.com/Mistmoore_Battle_Drums for sheer convenience. It's definitely a friendly class for those without a lot of gear early on.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

smiling giraffe posted:

Classic p99 was a product of its time and place. Theres no point trying to replicate that, we're all older now and have too many responsibilities and too little time for a green server.

I'd play Project Project 1999, where P1999's timetable was meticulously recreated.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Arven posted:

Are there any other servers like P1999 that have a reasonably sized playerbase but don't have a hyper-inflated mess of an economy? I tried playing Agnarr back when it launched but its economy broke in about a week due to Krono and is in the same state now.

I decided to get back in a few days ago on 1999 and do a gimmick run of only using items I could get for myself, and... this sucks. But not for the reason you'd think. I'm doing a dark elf Rogue in the general Freeport area, and high level players are making it hard for me to find anything to kill or to complete quests. Guards and quest NPCs are being farmed (for fine steel?) by high level characters seemingly everywhere I go and low level camps are being farmed (I assume for faction or tradeskill mats?) by midlevel characters. I know it's probably my fault for trying to level in the most populated/traveled through areas in the game, but where the hell else am I supposed to go as a dark elf?

Sounds like you should try red instead - no shortages of mobs at all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Athropos posted:

Holy crap did the east commons tunnel degrade in my absence. Been trying to sell common items like FBSS, Darksea Harpoon and Granite Face Grinder under the average price for like 2 days and only got tells begging for trades. All the turbonerds are probably so rich they dont buy midrange stuff anymore. All the same people selling the same poo poo for days too, means nobody is buying jack. Just get me out of here.

i don't understand why the servers are never, ever rebooted after so many years of utterly destroyed economies

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Reading about later expansions is so weird--they made a raid where Fippy Darkpaw is the badass big bad and by defeating him, you punish him by being reincarnated as a lowbie forced to rush into Qeynos and get murdered by guards every 6 minutes. Or those murders were fueling a dark ritual or something, I can't remember, but it's such a strange callback.

Even trying to follow the "plot" with the Planes of Time and stuff, I never really could understand what was going on.

remember that monster you killed as a lowbie? he's literally in a Sisyphean hell for eternity

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

insider posted:

Sirken unremoved and everything back to normal.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311974

Even if he didn't spawn in items I don't see how you can look through that document and go yea this looks fine. Its also a joke he is pissed for finding out about it on reddit because if they brought it up anywhere else they would be immediately perma banned.

lmao

quote:

I would also like to address the method that this situation came to be. Personally, I'm quite pissed off that I have to find out things like this from a post on an external website. As if nobody actually thought to themself, hmm I think it would be a good idea for Rogean or Nilbog to take a look at these screenshots. For 2 years it was sit on, and instead of coming to us at any point, I stumble across them on an offsite thread. The method to report such behavior is and always has been a Forum PM to myself and/or nilbog. Do not send it on a communication medium that I haven't used for over a year, and don't bury it within a 50 page essay of all the other opinionated circumstantial disputes as if it's some surprise at the end. There's a distinctive difference between opinionated disputes ("Soandso ruled against my guild and is only banning my players") and definitive evidence of a misuse of access ("Here's proof Soandso gave away information and summoned Prismatic Weapons for someone"). The latter needs to be reported immediately and unfiltered. I don't ever want to hear that someone didn't report a serious breach of policy because "We reported raid dispute favoritism and nothing was done, why would you do something about this". I've made a lot of changes over the years to keep staff members accountable to each other, including command logs viewable on Discord for all Senior+ Guides (Even my own commands, you can see an example here). Commands alone sometimes do not show us the true intention, and for that we will always rely on the community to report suspicious behavior.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

The best thing I can say about this is that I've got another reason to stop myself from playing on here again. I'll take any self-control assistance I can get with holiday time-off coming up.

Yeah, I've only been keeping an eye to see if they ever open a new server or wipe anything (since all my old characters are on red and it appears to be less playable than ever) but.. yeah that's probably never happening.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Glagha posted:

Can someone explain what green is because I keep hearing people say it but don't know what it means. I know blue is PvE and red is PvP so green is...?

i'm pretty sure it's the proper progression server they started promising years ago, where they actually roll out patches and expansions on the original timeline

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

If I end up installing this to play on Green, I doubt I'd have much time to play. If I'm a brand-new player that just wants to mess around and level and maybe make some money, what class should I roll? I'm thinking Druid for being solo-friendly, not as gear-dependent, and being able to port people for cash.

e: also I've been looking up the original soundtrack on Youtube and I forgot just how good it actually is. Really solid for being put together with nothing but MIDI instruments. The Freeport Gates theme is still my favorite.

i def had a fun time leveling a druid on red solo, it's easy enough and yeah, the mobility is really, really convenient.

also i think the change where dots only do half damage on creatures that are moving doesn't get patched in until later?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gepgepgep posted:

Come play! Setup instructions are on the Discord. If you're lazy, PM me and I can send the :filez: details.

To the multi-boxing averse: you're perfectly capable of playing a single character here. We've got a small guild going that'd happily welcome more. With the ability for higher levels to temporarily mentor (de-level) their mains to group with you it's pretty easy.

A few other features I've found to be enjoyable and worth noting:
  • Weekly hotzone rotation with stated ZEMs. This week had Befallen at 2.0 base ZEM + 0.75 hotzone bonus.
  • Melees can be bound in a lot more locations. e.g. My SK is bound outside SolB. The translocator from home zone can port you to bind.
  • Casters can bind inside most dungeons and other areas.

what's the active population like?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Uh, you should probably not admit to boxing, it's bannable on P99.

? at no point did they imply they were playing multiple characters simultaneously on the same server

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Indecisive posted:

but he might get an unfair advantage by having entertainment. the tru 1999 experience is suffering

alt-tabbing for any reason should cause you to immediately go linkdead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are blue and red pretty low pop since green started?