Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i played a warrior in wow and sleep walked to max level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relayer posted:

I prefer less xp per mob but having a cozy secluded spot with lots of spawns VS waiting forever on a list to get a highly contested xp camp that might not even actually be faster when you factor in the wait time and lack of alive mobs

so many evenings after school wasted shouting to see if the orc camps had open slots in EC.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat on my birthday week. it's like they know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

insider posted:

So am I psycho if I play a Paladin on Green? 40% exp penalty sounds like poo poo, but Warrior is so loving boring.

i kinda wanna roll a bard on green since i only ever played paladin but on the other hand i only got my paladin to 30 back in the day and i kinda wanna see the whole game. i want a ghoulbane again!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's pretty funny they gave xp penalties because they're hybrids and one of the classes is probably the worst in the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

iksar look cool what is this. monster races are always more interesting looking.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i always liked erudite necromancers best but dark elves are pretty cool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man i was so confused since i didn't remember that area well. i thought it was one camp as in one spawn (you know like orc 1 or 2 in EC are each one camp) and they were coding it to spawn four areas. i didn't realize they meant camp as in "area you could call dibs on".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'll be rolling on it and i consider myself new even if i played some on blue. only got to level 9 or so because i was trying to relive my original experience but since the majority of people are maxed out i had to solo which is slow going if you don't roll specific classes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tfw rubicite drops again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not blacked out! you're looking at a book :smugdog:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think i saw it at electronics boutique right after it came out. kunark was the first game i ordered online - best buy only had the strategy guide on release.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vith posted:

I'm surprised that after a million expansions for everquest it doesn't seem to have much lore, at least I was unable to find any sources as deep as wowpedia is for wow (and no books, literally nothing).

i like this aspect. the only lore thing i really remember is there used to be a combine empire and you see its ruins around. i wanna say luclin delved into it more but velious was the last expansion i played.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just like kinda lovely late 90s 3d for some reason.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

It's natural for players in an MMO to develop a certain attachment to their characters, especially when those characters require as much time as EQ's to develop. The Luclin models took everything that was unique and cool about the character models and threw it out the window in a rushed hack job for the sake of being able to advertise "Look! Higher polygon counts!" I didn't hate the Luclin models because I have a special fondness for low-poly 90s 3D; I hated the Luclin models because they're loving rancid garbage. I would've been happy to see new models that preserved the artistic integrity of the originals, but it's saddening that even now, 20 years later, current EQ continues to use the Luclin abominations.

yeah i remember my brother showing me the luclin updates and wondering why trolls and ogres looked totally different instead of high-poly versions of themselves. i also thought eq2 characters looked like poser models.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flunky posted:

The Luclin models have some of the worst character animations ever put in a major video game. They're shockingly terrible

i gotta look em up based on what everyone's saying cuz i had only seen screenshots.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gray Matter posted:

As a diehard original models fan, this is legit good and I would be down to use it

that's EQ2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

multiboxing is so weird.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

halfings being bards makes sense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

I was originally thinking of playing but I'm not sure I have the patience to try, especially after being into WoW Classic lately.

I'm pretty sure it would take me more time to hit level 30 in EQ Classic than it would to hit 60 in WoW lol.

I played EQ on and off for about three years and just got to 30. I played WoW for a few months and hit cap.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I accidentally started on a PvP server either because it was at the top of the list or I liked that particular god name I can't recall which. Rolled on a different server after I found out some classmates played.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had no idea ZEM existed until over a decade after I stopped playing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wtf Lake of Ill Omen had/has a poo poo ZEM? We all loved that zone!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm assuming any zone that you can fear kite in as easily as you can in Lake of Ill Omen has a poo poo ZEM on this kind of server?

Believe the chart I looked at was from live - it said P99 in keeping with the tradition of the original servers would keep the info hidden.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is pretty hilarious that the worst class in the game gets an xp penalty.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why is it that wizards are bad? The other casters doing a lot more damage?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My brother just happened to roll enchanter back in the day. I unfortunately rolled paladin.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I find all the dumb quirks and gently caress ups and imbalances so interesting because a lot of that poo poo was unknown when I played. Of course people knew poo poo like soloing as a druid or necro was good but there wasn't much knowledge that you were totally handicapping yourself playing certain classes (me with paladin) or that you were in for good times by rolling others (my brother with enchanter).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Since my only pvp experience was accidentally rolling on such a server not knowing what it was when I first bought the game - what were the classes to play there? Was it similar to normal or what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only cooler design than bard is enchanter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vargs posted:

Classic EQ1 enchanter is the greatest class in any game. I desperately wish that I could play one in every RPG.

My brother randomly rolled one and that's gotta be the reason he got totally hooked on the game and was into high end raiding while I never got past level 30 because I rolled paladin.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's how League of Legends worked when I played it. Every entity in the game could only be a structure, hero, or creep and so spell effects like an exploding AOE were a bunch of invis creeps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fyodorovich posted:

Play exclusively in 1st-person like the good lord intended

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

gently caress yes. 30 hour camp. gently caress fuvk never again. Now i can sleep

ks you absolute wildman.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not related to anything but I just found out Verant gave high elf paladins who worshipped Tunare a really sick sword in Velious (I stopped playing during Kunark). The poor erudites only got a shield...

Did any other bad race/class combos get a sort of consolation prize?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Honestly, one of the closest things I can think of in terms of item-apologia is from long before Velious: the Burning Rapier and the entire Rogue Redemption quest (Oct '99) was a kind of apology to rogues since they were a garbage class with few items and broken mechanics at release. This trend continued until they became OP in Kunark culminating with their epic quest being both easy and awesome.

This stuff has always been fascinating to me because it's like Verant didn't do any testing. Most of us didn't know what classes were poo poo or good back in the early days especially those of us who just played and didn't go to forums and poo poo but they had all the data and I presume it would've been clear rogues were garbo and that warriors wouldn't be the best at their job until you got to raiding.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I do remember reading the history of EQ and how insane actually building the zones was. Each item dropped in at 0,0,0 or something and they had to manually move it little by little using arrow keys or something ridiculous.

I'm surprised after hearing about the Burning Rapier (nobody I knew played rogues) they didn't give warriors some mid-level weapon that procced some damage spell easily so they could be the top tanks before you got into raiding. Can't imagine rolling the most boring class and then not being able to do your job until max level.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 14, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Here's the long article about the history of EverQuest - it's where I found out about how they built the zones:

https://www.shacknews.com/article/110494/better-together-stories-of-everquest?page=2#detail-view

There's probably stuff in there about why some of the classes were hosed and I forgot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I remember the kraken and megalodon rumors - people even posted doctored screenshots of "a kraken" and an entry on Allakhazam. The idea of some massive shark mob out in the Ocean of Tears was the coolest thing and I really wanted it to be real like cryptids in the real world.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 14, 2021