Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Canuckistan posted:

I've got about 50 plat on my lvl 5 enchanter. What's the best bang for my buck gear wise? I'm still wearing a newbie robe and that's about it. I also bought a crude stein for 30 plat, which seemed like a good idea at the time.

Spell money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

There's also Orc (different type that doesn't affect Neriak faction if I recall correctly) camps in East Commonlands that people group up at.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Started a human SK — some very interesting faction problems with that combination. You start out with all factions of Qeynos on the cusp of hating you. Already walked into a few buildings and had some random NPC beat my face in. Pretty sure I can't do the Gnoll Fang quest until I'm ready to leave the area as I'm already dubious with every guard and I'll be threatening with corrupts after just a few turn ins.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Ogre or Iksar would be the best choice but I went with Human to see a different side of things. I was curious about the challenge of being a 'good' race but a bad class. I've also never seen much of the Qeynos side of the continent. Freeport would be more ideal leveling for sure and I'll probably head over there eventually, but it was not an option (probably because I went with Bertox as a religion). So far I'm not regretting the choice, even if it's slower. It's very immersive to be concerned about faction. I'm checking around corners constantly and of course I have to go into the sewers to train/sell for max value. Feels like being a real evil dude rather than just another Ogre in Ogretown. So far I've run into two NPCs that were KOS, one in a sewing shop who must have been upstairs from the entrance. The other was a Barbarian in the bar near the docks. Not sure what faction they are on since I am able to walk around freely past the guards and merchants otherwise.

Anyone have any good stories about rarer class combos? Advantages in the way of items people aren't normally familiar with? On live my main was a human ranger. Not many people were really aware that was an option so I would commonly get comments about thinking I was a Rogue until I cast a spell. Wasn't much different beyond that though. You start in Surefall Glade which is a neat little out of the way zone for human druids and rangers. It's opposite Qeynos. I made my way over to elf lands pretty quickly though, having always been more familiar with those zones.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Anyone available to do a transfer in EC?
Edit: took care of it

Summit fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 1, 2015

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I have about 750pp, what's the best thing I could buy for a low level Shadowknight to make life a little easier? I do have a Circlet of Shadow (pre nerf) already which I sank basically all my plat into awhile back. I don't think I could afford it now so that was a good decision.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I have a Rod of Lamentation in EC you can have. Spend 200pp on SoW pots and another 500pp on Platinum Fire Wedding Rings, last 50pp on Banded?

Awesome! Will you be on tonight? I'll probably be around EC around 7 CST. (this was for blue by the way)

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Won't be on that late but I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I've been playing more recently as 'Pardon' on blue. Problem is my game time is difficult to plan so I can't keep any promises to meet up with anyone. Still, having fun tooling around in Crushbone for the moment. Joined "College of Adventure" last night cause a bunch of them were hanging around powerleveling and tossed me an invite. So far they seem like cool people. I probably won't bother with the goon guild. I'm just not online enough to get much advantage from anything but a huge leveling guild.

Being a Shadowknight on Faydwer seemingly means no banking or vendoring for a long, long time. After a few hours of killing orcs the Kelethin and Dwarf guards are still KOS (threatening). I worship Bertox so I thought maybe the Gnomes would be at least dubious but their guards and merchants are also KOS. I did manage to find a vendor in Steamfont at the Druid ring and I'm sure the BB ring vendors will also be indifferent. Hasn't been so bad though since there's no shortage of people willing to buy every CB belt I can loot for 3pp/each. I would prefer to use them to get some levels but at least there's some cash on the side.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Erdricks posted:

Any recommendations for places to farm enchanter gear around lvl 20? Outside of my stein of moggok, I'm pretty much wearing my starter gear/low level statless drops.

I would just keep leveling. As an enchanter you're not going to see any huge increases in effectiveness with more gear and there's nothing of great value you could camp anyway. Any potential gains in gear you could make would be handily beaten by gaining a few more levels.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

FranktheBank posted:

When the hybrid penalty goes away, does the warrior and rogue xp bonus go away?

If they keep it classic then no; all bonuses were left in.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Anyone know if it's possible to bank with a KOS banker? In particular the Kelethin banker is threatening to me. Guards and merchants are dubious. I assume the tiny window right next to him is enough to interaction with him but I'm not sure if that would actually work. I'm only level 9 so he'll wreck my poo poo fast if it doesn't.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I don't wish to discourage anyone from playing on red but I will say that if you're playing Project 1999 for the enjoyment of grouping and leveling (PVE essentially), I would not recommend it. Sure the experience rate is insane and that's pretty fun but I found around level 20 casual grouping gets more difficult. You need more time and coordination with others since the population is so much lower than blue. If you find enjoyment in an emptier server with more solo targets or you have a lot of time to coordinate with people, you can make it work though. The PVP is 95% garbage so I would not play there for that.

Edit: If you did want to play for PVP you need to be very careful about class selection. A lot of classes, even ones you might assume would be decent, are quite bad due to dispells and potions of various kinds (example: Shamans).

Summit fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 10, 2015

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Summit posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to bank with a KOS banker? In particular the Kelethin banker is threatening to me. Guards and merchants are dubious. I assume the tiny window right next to him is enough to interaction with him but I'm not sure if that would actually work. I'm only level 9 so he'll wreck my poo poo fast if it doesn't.

I eat baby skin posted:

Not unless you can sneak or feign death.

Tried it today. Doesn't matter that he's 'threatening', I can still bank with him. Just have to stick on the outside of the building and right click on him through the window.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Can I just say that I really dislike Oasis? It's one of the most boring zones to level in. It's only redeeming quality is that a lot of people seem to go there so groups are easy to get. That's it.

- No loot to get; 99% of the time you just get worthless meat and no coin loot at all
- No real exploration or sense of danger, just sitting on a beach
- Bad XP modifier
- No interesting mobs besides giants that one shot you

It's probably as soulless of an experience as you can get in this game, which is saying something because EverQuest is at its core a much slower game in general.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Shared wolf form also gives indifferent faction to many NPCs

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Good bet there's like 100 bored Druids on the server at any time, certainly one of them wouldn't mind hooking you up.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I would guess that what you're seeing is the client is predicting that mana/hp/other values will be raised at a certain rate, which it displays to you. This happens instantaneously but it's just a prediction. On the server, the timing is a little different. Every 6 seconds it steps the world forward and sends out updated values. Since the server is the source of truth the client switches its values to what the server says. In a perfect system this would be more lined up and errors in prediction would be more rare. In my experience the numbers are constantly going up and down as the client gets real updates from the server.

Edit: I believe there's a way to see when a server tick, i.e. an update from the server, has been received. I think it's the "lag bar" displayed in the top right. It jumps or something. I forget what indication it gives and can't login right now. You'd probably want to stand up after you see a tick happen to get the most benefit. Just a guess though.

Summit fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 14, 2015

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I can see it being fun for a few hours when everyone is level 1-2 and just mass pvp is occurring in the newbie yards. But it wouldn't be long til a few break through and start being able to wreck any new people.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Erdricks posted:

I am totally out of money here on red and need to farm some pp to buy spells. Anyone know if killing the sisters in OOT will make you KOS anywhere? Or can recommend a good pp farm? 24 ench here.

Lowers faction with a few of the Kelethin guilds.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

In addition to the high elf pallies and clerics you also lose faction with the Druid and Ranger guild in Kelethin. You could probably just invis past the pallies in Felwithe and the Rangers/Druids are off on their own and easily avoided.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Sister_of_Erollisi

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

To his point it's definitely been amateur hour this weekend. Been hit with more trains in a single day that I have in weeks. Zones are full and people are pushing beyond their limits a bit to get that sweet double xp.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Yes

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I recently got back into playing p99 and gave 2002 a look first. But they allow boxing and I'm not interested in any server that allows it. Just not the same experience when people are just duoing off by themselves.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Anyone around on red that can port me from Qeynos area to Gfay? While the threat of PVP is a real concern I'm not sure how much longer I can stand the isolation. (char name Velras)

Edit: Managed to beg one off a Wizard camping Haden!
Edit2: Welp, when I got to CB it was empty

Summit fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 2, 2015

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Red is weird. You expect this big PVP fest going in but PVP is rare at the low levels. Everyone is more focused on getting out of the early levels and getting some real abilities/spells. Plus the group xp bonus is so good you get far more utility out of grouping than PKing a level 7 dude fighting an orc centurion. I don't know if this changes later on as I've yet to get out of the 20's.

Hit 14 on a Druid (seems like there's a lot of Druids) last night, still trying to get an invite to Thunderdome. They have a lot of members about but must be stingy handing out officer duties.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

They can't profit because they are emulating a game that someone else made. The only thing keeping them from being sued to poo poo over it is they can claim they are just doing it for fun and even losing money doing so (and even then they probably could be shut down very easily).

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I have to believe they are at least paying for the server costs somehow, probably with RMT since I doubt donations would be enough. The people running p99 never struck me as particularly charitable and I can't imagine them eating those server hosting bills.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I can't imagine why people would care about a Cleric being twinked. You definitely ran into a jerk.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

http://wiki.project1999.com/Worker_Sledgemallet

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

How does Necro soloing usually work? Any ability to do it in dungeons?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Starting playing this horrible game again. Play time is usually short bursts of an hour here and there so needed a class that could be fun without groups. Settled on Necromancer for its dungeon solo potential and feign death for easy AFKs. Couldn't bring myself to make an Iksar. Despite their obvious advantages I never get into my lizard characters. Just don't like Kunark as much, it's missing that Tolkienesque feel. Their animations look awful too. So I'm a terrible casual playing a Gnome instead. Hit level 15 a few nights ago in my favorite zone Crushbone. I'll have to get spells in Freeport next level, they aren't sold in Ak'Anon for some reason. Might gently caress around in Befallen if I can get Hungry Earth researched. Welp that's my story thanks for reading.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Anyone got a copy of Hungry Earth or Words of Material? Got some Words of Spirit from merchants in Oasis but haven't found Material yet.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Whats your name in-game? You in Unknown? You set for newbie spell platinum?

Character name is Nipsi. Yeah haven't had any issues paying for spells yet, even untwinked.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Still need help with this? Look me up on Klogg.

Yeah. Some guy is selling the spell for 100pp but can't afford that. Found 3 Words of Spirit but Words of Materials is evading me. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for ya. Should be on late tonight.

Edit: Ended up getting some words off crocs in Oasis then had a higher level Necro combine them for me.

Summit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 24, 2017

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

loving around in Befallen. What a great ZEM that place has. I haven't even been actively leveling on anything yet, just exploring and trying not to die, and I've accidentally earned a decent amount of XP. Hungry Earth (undead root) was a definite necessity as feign death is pretty expensive at this level. It takes quite a lot of mana to split a camp, which doesn't leave much to actually fight the resulting mobs. It's doable but risky and slow. Rooting the add is more efficient if it's possible. Speaking of feign death, this is my first character with that ability and wow, it's really great. Really lets me explore and make mistakes without super punishing corpse runs.

I got an invite to the Auld Lang Something guild, who play the game untwinked and don't use the EC market, but they kicked me out. Apparently they have a policy that you have to join the guild before level 10 and the officer who invited me did not follow that rule. Not even sure why that's a rule, as long as your character is 100% legit I don't see why it matters. Doubly dumb because I inquired for an invite when I was pre-10 but the officer didn't have time to come invite me and then I didn't find another one til just now. Guess I'll have to join one of the other newb guilds or maybe I'll appeal the decision.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

It's really hard to overemphasize how much classic EQ forces social interactions that are all but gone in modern MMO's. Soloing is possible, but only in certain circumstances and many classes can't do it at all. That means you need to find groups every play session. There's no LFG tool, no auto teleporter to get you into a dungeon group, no instances. You have to walk to an area of the appropriate level and ask people to group up. That's huge. Maybe they don't need more of the class you're playing. Maybe all the camp spots are full. Maybe there's nobody there at all. In all of these cases you're dealing with what feels like a real world with changing conditions that radically alter how you're going to play.

If there's no groups in that area? You either try to solo until one opens up or you go somewhere else. Getting there could take hours walking. If you want to fast travel and you're not playing one of the classes that can do that, you have to find one and ask him/her to transport you. Once you arrive, if you want to bind there, you have to go find someone to do that for you. In so many situations you have to talk to another person. In WoW you can play the entire game to max level without speaking to another person easily.

Even selling your loot is talking to other people. There's no auction house. There's a certain area where everyone gathers to shout what they are selling and buying and you sit there waiting for someone to auction off what you're looking for.

I can go on and on but that I think is the essence of what makes EQ a different beast from all MMOs that followed it. It's also why the game is very painful to a casual player. You're very reliant on others and can easily be completely stuck with no way to progress, for example if you're playing a rogue and there's no groups around. Being pretty casual myself I'm forced to stick to classes that can, at the very least, solo a bit if I don't have time to find a group. And I try to level in areas where I have the option of grouping OR soloing my time is limited.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Realistically any items you can acquire grinding out plat at level 12 are not worth it. Especially as a caster. Just keep leveling. Unless you just like gearing up as it's own activity then all the above suggestions are solid.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

You would be doing yourself a disservice not leveling in Qeynos area with the plague event going on. The questing path is fantastic. Diseased wolf pelts and gnoll fangs til you can venture out into EK then diseased bear pelts and bandit sashes til 20 easily. The plague event has greatly increased the diseased animal count and every single kill is a guaranteed drop. It's amazing xp. There's a bunch of other quests in the area I pick up along the way but those are the main xp ones.

Summit fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I'm playing right now. Got a Ranger and a Shaman I've been working on.