Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

please knock Mom! posted:

Boxing is alright when it’s like a few people on the server or so. Nowadays it’s so easy it’s become standard to do it if it’s allowed, and that makes it suck. I want to play an adventurer, not manage a team consisting of silent clones of myself.

You should be allowed to box if you can prove that you're using a discrete PC for each instance like in the old days. None of this software bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Kunark is out on green

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Fyodorovich posted:

...and quest XP is apparently disabled until December 6th?

Weird flex.

wait Lmao what. across the board or just kunark? that's so dumb

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The whole of the Qeynos area just feels like ideas on top of ideas that were later abandoned and left unfinished. I know Qeynos and qeynos hills were the first zones done and it feels like they had these really grand ideas all the way up until just after high pass where things started to get a bit more polished and reasonable.

Stuff like the qeynos underground, the corrupt guards, the in game bulletin boards, etc felt like really ambitious things and remnants of other, failed ideas of what EQ could have been. It's my favorite part of the game for that reason, though it's also a little sad because of what it could have been. There's just so many little story hooks, scripted moments, cool setpieces, etc that you would see and immediately assume would be part of something much bigger but never were.

Edit: the erudite island and its ocean zone is another good example though to a lesser extent since it did get some attention around velious

edit 2: i really wish we'd get a game like EQ again. For as much as it hated the player there was a touch to its world design and setting that i haven't seen since. Vanguard got close at times but had its own issues. I really love the idea of "you're just a dude in the world. you're not the hero. go down the wrong alley in neriak or into a rough pub in freeport and you might get stabbed." plus all the fun faction and lore stuff

Sankis fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 14, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

What was the deal with EQ2 lorewise? Couldn't you explore the ruins of places from EQ or something like that?

Yeah, like felwithe is now undead infested and stuff. it seemed neat but the zones felt way different when i tried it like a decade ago. I think the plot is the evil freeport militia guy became a lich and fought with the qeynos guy and shattered the world into a bunch of Islands or something

i think it's also technically in a different continuity since EQ1 obviously never ended

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I forgot money had weight and wondered how the hell I was constantly encumbered. This loving game lol

how could you forget making some decent money as a newbie by going from camp to camp with a bunch of plat and offering your services as a bank??

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

It seems pretty clear that they didn't really do the math to have any idea what the economy of EQ would look like.

Like why even have denominations of copper if it means such a fractionally marginal amount of wealth? Everything of worth is like 1k pp and up. They likely would have dropped a couple zeroes off that number but it was where things ended up and then you can't really patch it different without loving everything up.

There's so many half-baked concepts in EQ, but that's what makes it so charming. Like having Innkeepers that sell keys, and having individual Inn rooms. Its like they wanted to have other systems but realized it was too much and had to cut it, but left enough you can see where they were thinking.

poo poo I was never this smart

:capitalism:

Honestly, im sure its partly being overambitious but i also bet they just thought that people would be roleplaying and not just poopsocking. The stuff they certainly used for a lot of inspiration, MUDs and MOOs, were a bit slower and often RP focused/encouraged.

I'd wager they were designing stuff so that people would have places to hang out and chat, definitely-not-cyber in hotel rooms, group up and go on adventures not necessarily just to level, crafters working away and advertising their wares on in game bulletin boards, rogues talking about their exploits in the sewer hub, etc

By the time stuff like UO came out and it became apparent that mainstream gamers just wanted to kill poo poo and level up it was probably too late to change course completely.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 21, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

At some point developers realized that what 99.9% of mmo gamers care about is, apparently, end game content so every mmo just became the player going from npc camp to npc camp taking quests until they hit max level. "Theme Park" style of mmos like that wefe very much the norm post WoW with each game trying to add its own spin to it. There's still stuff that comes out every so often in the "sandbox" style but they almost always seem to be in the PvP sandbox style over EQ's PvE sandbox style.

I genuinely hope that Pantheon game comes close but I'm not sure there's been much progress on that in the past, uh, five years or so.

Maybe one day the very specific EQ style will come back, there's certainly more PnP rpg players than there ever have been that a game like that could target.

if i ever win one of those stupid high lotteries i pledge to you all that i will put $100 mill into this dumb idea

Sankis fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 22, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Meatgrinder posted:

Yeah I generally only play if I can duo or group up with people I know, but they always quit after a while. I have like two accounts full of characters on Blue because of so many restarts over the past decade.

edit: and the collective mindset is pretty bad, have to level in this or that zone, have to get this or that item, have to join this or that guild. My idea of a good time is dicking around in Tower of Frozen Shadows for a few days, or figuring out the Qeynos badge quests.

For sure. I get that its more efficient to level in X zone because of the xp bonus but i want to kill dervishes in nro or random poo poo in EC or doing these quests no one has done since 2002 because that's what i did when i was 13 you jerks.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Putting it on 6 fixed this thanks. If only I knew how easy it was to max out Sense Heading back in the day. Also somehow I lost my spellbar and just got my spells and couldn't do poo poo so I had to copy and rename another character's UI ini to replace this character's to fix it.

Only two people in Crushbone :(

The biggest problem with p99 in terms of being classic is that people know how to level and the same people are not in crushbone for two weeks trying to hit 16 or whatever

I remember orc hill and crushbone always being so full of activity back in the day...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The gnoll scrolls are legit a ton of xp but i cannot at all imagine doing that quest without gating back to hand them in. doing the run each time sounds like torture

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

What's the quillmane fix? Was it spawning too often or something

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

You'd think that anyone who gives a gently caress about classic Everquest at this point would have to be mid 30s if not 40+.

I'm glad guild leaders are not letting something like age get in the way of being huge babies online. It's truly Classic behavior.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Noah posted:

I had a lot of fun with Project M. I'm pretty sure I was either a fire beetle or spiderling in Misty Thicket.

Did P99 ever implement it?

They did, very briefly on pvp servers i think. The players were not amused and it did not last long iirc.

Project M is one of my fondest EQ memories

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Back in the day, i used to play as a lowbie gnome necro on one of the team pvp servers. The gnomes were locked in an endless back and forth with the elves of gfay. One side would raid the other's newbie area and then a retaliatory strike would be mustered to get them back.

Playing as a gnome there were a number of trees in gfay you could crawl next to and then up inside rendering you effectively invisible. So you'd lure some newbies out of spawn and then suddenly they'd get wrecked from the trees casting spells on them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

an iksar marauder posted:

They’re in the loving trees

i was like 13 and it felt like my personal vietnam. there was this weird vibe of comradery after being raided. we'd then form a posse and go raiding back.It was such a nothing, localized conflict that felt like the world. The dwarves were in our team but they never helped because they felt they were above it

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

boxing should be legal but only if you can prove each instance is on its own separate computer like you had to do back in the day

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

everquest? wasn't there a weird anti cheat early on where just alt tsbbing the game would force you to reload it entirely

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Have there been any rumblings of them starting the Green cycle over again?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Flavahbeast posted:

afaik no one outside the p99 team knows, new green might launch tomorrow or it might launch never. I don't think there's been official word on it since 2019

That's what I figured. Guess I should just pop back in at some point.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

That's a planes of power server right? Is it going a progression thing like p99 Green did or is it launching into pop?

I've actually never played past Velious... Does that era still feel suitably harsh/classic Everquest?

edit: yeah i need to get in on this. holy poo poo

Sankis fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 1, 2023

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

yeah i need to get in on this poo poo holy crap

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

What are the big differences between P99 and Quarm? Aside from the obvious expansion stuff.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

its cool and really fun but coming from p99 it's extremely strange seeing so much rubi and gbs and other stuff. I guess it's all 100% drops or close to it?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know if this was a PoP era thing to save server power or something but some of the classic leveling spots on PQ, like oasis, seem pretty barren compared to what I remember. I've been greatly enjoying it for the most part, though.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

That has to be one of the unintentionally funniest things about classic EQ. The moment poo poo hits the fan for a group, it can just become a free for all where everyone scatters and tries to make it away.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

yeah im hoping the custom content and stuff gets reigned back a bit going forward. once we hit PoP it'd be fun to do new content in the style of old content though

honestly kinda bummed out by rubicite being on every melee twink. I miss seeing people in bronze and banded and stuff

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah that stuff is sensible. I also wouldn't mind if the legacy items were kept in the game in some way. Announce that the Manastone is now reward for an obscure questline and watch people do old content to scramble to find it.

edit: also wouldn't mind to seeing some unfinished quests be finished

edit 2: put the tutorial zone in the game somewhere cowards.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 7, 2023

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

cmdrk posted:

p99 launched in october of 2009. p99 is old enough to have its own p99.

I'm excited to announce that I'm currently developing Project 2009, a faithful recreation of project 99 recreating classic Everquest

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

There is nothing more period appropriate than weird guild and raiding drama

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Sounds like it got removed.

It's amazing that after 20+ years EQ raiding is still full of insane people. You'd think they'd chill out about it after doing it for literally two decades.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 20, 2023

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I had a lowbie gnome on one of the team pvp servers and there was such a weird sense of comradery there. We'd be leveling and suddenly a bunch of elves would raid. We'd regroup and launch a raid of our own to get back at them.

Once I discovered that gnomes could crouch and get inside of trees in gfay so we'd do that around the newbie lift of gfay. I was a necromancer and would have my pet /sit in the newb hunting area to lure people who think they are gonna get some free bone shards

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

You've never truly lived if you weren't there for Project M on live servers. What an absolutely bonkers idea. Just the devs throwing ideas at the wall and briefly having it on test servers before bringing it to the live servers.

It was too beautiful (and broken lmao) for this world.

For anyone unfamiliar, a bit after Velious launched we got this:

quote:

Tonight we have patched something to the PvP servers that many players have been waiting for. The ability to play that gnoll, orc, or the cute and fuzzy rat. On your character select screen you will notice another button in the upper right part of your screen called "Monster". Clicking this button will randomly place you in a low-level NPC in a random zone. You will be given full control of the creature to do with it what you like. You may hunt and kill other creatures. You may even attack other players.

Some things to remember when playing your own personal monster (NPC).

You will not be able to interact with players or NPC's other than moving and hitting attack.

You cannot speak, trade, sell, or do anything else that a player can do.

You will spawn with normal loot for the monster you are playing and Player Characters will be able to kill you for loot and experience.

If you are a spell casting monster you might want to take a moment to memorize some spells.

Once you die, you will return to the character select screen where you may choose to return as another NPC or play your normal character.

You may gain experience, levels, and skills as this NPC, but once you die, it is all lost. You will need to start over the next time you choose to be a NPC character.

You can't zone as a monster. If you try to cross a zone-boarder you will lose your progress and return to the character-select screen.

Monster PCs (MPCs) can not loot, sell, or gain items. They only get what they start out with.

This ability to play a monster is being implemented for PvP servers only as we have no plans to implement non-consensual PvP on a non PvP server.

However, we are still working with this system. We may find other ways to implement Project M on the non-PvP servers that are acceptable. We aren't done looking at the possible uses of this new feature.

This was in a client where buffing npcs and stuff was possible. So if you could communicate that you were a monster player it was not unheard of for someone to buff you (though equally likely someone would kill you immediately.) It didn't last especially long as you can probably imagine, though it supposedly ended up inspiring the Darkhollow expansion a few years later

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I have no idea what any of that poo poo means. what's a quake in eq terms

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

🤷🏻‍♂️ It doesn't seem especially popular so maybe it'll get reverted.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I can't imagine blue has many scammers left. They'd have left ages ago since everyone would know them by now

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I fell off Quarm in December or so. How's it doing now?

On a similar note, how are the P99 numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I haven't had an issue with most Quarm changes but Kunark being iksar only for a month is extremely silly