Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Last night, we wrestled City of Mist away from a few twinked PKs and then gained a bunch of experience and money drops for a few hours.

Then to wrap up the night, we killed a random necromancer from Pandemonium. :toot:

I think we'll be around COM for a few more days in the 52-55ish range, and then we'll probably move on to The Hole, Chardok, Velk's Lab or somewhere else.

If you're considering joining us, I'd say we don't need melees at the moment. A druid or wizard would probably be best, though the other healers and casters would be welcome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

FranktheBank posted:

Is this Badtown?
Yes it is! Just hit 55 for the extra 12 Mana-per-tick mana song Frank. ALL FOR YOU.

Also, two more Pandemoniums dead.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I'm going to be leveling my cleric 51-60 on a "when i'm bored and my guild doesn't need my rogue" basis on red if anyone's in that level range and wants easy groups.
Yep, that's us! We've been playing a few nights a week, currently out and around City of Mist in the 52-54 range. We've been charm fighting for really fast/easy exp. Adding a healer lets us go crazy.

I think our Ranger is out of town for a week, but we'll be wrapping up here soon and heading to either The Hole, HS or Chardok next I think.

Look for Badtown (me), Woops, Scoobs and Hiroyuki if you're around.

Have Some Flowers! fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 28, 2015

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Haukadalur Geezer posted:

Look, Goons, EQ was never meant to be a PVP game, but I'm going to try out red with you anyway...
Highly recommend starting with a caster like a Wizard, Necro, Enchanter or Druid. Melees are expensive to gear out and will probably not hurt anyone for a long time.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Haukadalur Geezer posted:

The server really seems to be at its best when I'm in a group, which is rarely so far - but the druid is fine for farting around solo. I'm trying to convince other dumb non-PvPers to try it out.
Group exp bonus is pretty wild, it's worth traveling/dealing with headaches for it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there a tunnel market on Red? If so people would just roll through and murder everybody, right? So I'm guessing you're just vendoring everything?
Trading mostly happens in NFP. Serverwide OOC makes it pretty easy to auction your stuff.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

apply to <TMO>
I think we're gonna do this! We have a bunch of mid 50's and most of them are desired classes, so it should work out nicely.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Awesome! I can get you guys (or anyone) in on a raid sometime if you want to see what we're about before you apply if you want, too.
Sounds good, I'll start the app tonight. Should I put 'anime' as the referral on it? We'll get you that sweet referral signing bonus. Free set of knives?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

If Everquest PVP sucks
I don't think it sucks - it's just not balanced, at all.

Classes that are terrible at PVP like Warriors and Shaman still are vital in PVE. Dedicated PVPers still need gear and epics.

The biggest challenge is that starting off on Red means you're up against people who have years of a head start on you. It's insurmountable for a long time, so you just have to get used to running, hiding and surviving.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Just as a heads up, Season 2 of the Zek PVP server is about to start this Friday (http://www.eqpvp.com/index.php/topic,3698.0.html).

If you didn't hear about it or play in Season 1, it's a server with classic classes and mostly classic content. Unlike classic, there are many changes to improve quality of life and to encourage more meaningful and balanced PvP.

I had a lot of fun on it last season with some folks from Red 99. If anyone wants to mess around on this one for a few weeks, I'll be probably rolling as a Druid, Shaman or Cleric with a boxed Enchanter (server allows for one box).

I think casters will still be strongest early on, but improvements to pure melees and healers look good for later in the season.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

lemonslol posted:

I'll be back again. Probably a rogue or an Sk this time around.
I think Rogues will have an easier time this season. Damage shields were problematic for rogues because everyone could use the damage shield clicky earring. It's back to being class-restricted, and there's some damage shield mitigation stats on some higher end pvp gear now as well.

SKs were very strong at the start of last season and had a few nerfs, other classes were buffed, so they're probably in an okay spot now.

I think either will work well with our current small group since we just need more damage. Another goon'll be going Bard with probably a boxed Mage or healer. I'm probably going Druid with a boxed Enchanter for buffs.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
We should probably decide on a faction before Friday. I'm talking to a few others to see what direction they're leaning.

Dreaddor posted:

I especially like the level locks which if I'm understanding right means in the first week the highest you can get is 20.
Yep! That's how it works. It helps to keep PvP in the same level ranges as the server progresses, and to give late-comers a better chance.

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Wait, GUARD UPGRADES? Holy poo poo that's really awesome. I've wanted MMOs to do stuff like that for years.
Yeah last season, you could go to a city your faction controlled to get buffs from guards. And there was a lot of PvP in/around cities trying to take them from other factions and and kill their guards. The zones and classes are classic, but you'll find that the spell file is newer. Overall xp and gearing is faster than classic, because the focus of the server is PvP and PvP balance.

Niedar posted:

Whats the population like on this PvP server? I am definitely interested in trying this out after reading the details Dreaddor posted.
Last season, at its peak, it was around 200 players a night. Since it's a small server (in terms of zones/content), it was pretty easy to find groups and fights.

Zaphod42 posted:

guardfactionquestions
There's nexus teleports, and city guards can also be upgraded to provide teleports as well. So getting around is pretty easy (and helps to facilitate PvP). Even if you find out a group is farming in Lower Guk, you're only about 5-10 minutes from reaching them.

Your team isn't related to races, classes or religions. You can be a Good Team Troll Shadowknight. And you're basically not on a faction until level 5, so that gives you time to head to the Nexus and change factions and get rebound in another city if needed.

You don't have to grind faction with the guards of your faction. They'll like you anyway.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Kinda bummed they're saying you can't capture cities this season, I guess I missed out last season. Capturing cities sounds cool as hell. They do mention 3 outposts that can be captured, but is that it? Feels a little weak. Ah well, I'm sure there'll still be plenty of pvp to do.
Other cities are based on regular faction rules (class, race, religion, faction), but they're a little less important because of quick Nexus travel. You typically bind in your team's town so you can quickly get back there for guard buffs.

Yeah capturing cities was kinda fun but it mostly happened super late at night, and then lead to a lot of griefing as players who were bound there logged back in the next day and were slaughtered. I mean it was funny, but probably didn't help the server pop.

I think the idea now is that the cities are permanent so you don't lose access to buffs/teleports, but then you can go out and fight over outposts for fun and profit.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Dreaddor posted:

Class stuff
Yeah I'd highly recommend boxing something just to make leveling easier, or to have buffs for your main. Typical boxes are things like Mages, Clerics, Druids or Shaman, and you can just gate or camp them out if a fight's about to happen.

Exping is fast enough that you can easily level multiple characters and keep them capped for each lock. It's gearing for PvP that takes longer and encourages you to have a main. But even a naked mage or healer/buffbot is still handy to have around for PvE (which is important for leveling up/gearing up).

Mages, Wizards and Necros were all very good in Season 1. Enchanters struggled because they were very group dependent. They couldn't do a whole lot solo other than throwing a nasty charmed mob at someone, or annoying them with dispels and running off. They got some buffs from this season at least, we'll see how it goes. Whirl Til You Hurl is going to be hilarious for the first few weeks.

I'd caution against something like a pure melee unless you have a crew you plan on playing with regularly. They can be great but require support. One of the top players in Season 1 was a rogue - he was very good, but he really succeeded because he usually had a cleric and paladin nearby keeping him healthy and dispelled, and they spent a lot of time rooting/stunning/bashing his targets.

I'd recommend something like a SK or Paladin if you want to melee but only have 1 or 2 reliable friends. They're a lot more independent.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Dreaddor posted:

If it's anything like I think it'll be, the good side will be underpopulated. I'm just assuming. Season 1 of this thing wasn't team based either so we can't use that as a basis.
It's tough to say, it was team based in Season 1 but there were 3 teams (good/neut/evil) instead of 2 this time. I'm down to start on the Good team. It was also possible to switch teams later on (although you can only do it every few days).

Dreaddor posted:

I think I'll most likely play either a Necro or Mage as my main with a Druid as an alt.
Good choices all around! Having a pocket druid to SoW you and your pet makes you much more dangerous early on.

Dreaddor posted:

Was this end-game or overall? How did Necros fair at the early levels (15-20ish) as well as mid-levels (30-35)? Was there any awkward level range for them where they struggled?
Necros are very strong at 20, the first level cap. Lifetaps for 90, Heat Blood, Darkness snare, Invis, See Invis, Shadowstep, Harmshield and a 80ptish self rune. That's plenty of gas to kill people and survive.

At 30, their lifetap is relatively slightly weaker but their DoTs are much stronger (being level 28 and 27). And they also have a 180pt rune at that point.

35 is a weaker level cap for them just because they're using older spells at that point. After that, they're consistently strong.

Mages and Wizards are always very strong until 50+ when gear starts to really catch up and cause lots of resists. Necros jump to #1 at that point because most of their best spells have big negative resist components.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Yep, let's go Good team!

Honestly both SKs and Necros are very solid, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either. If you go SK, be sure to be a big race. Gatorsmash Maul is the only weapon you'll need until Epic. That thing trucks people in PvP.

To start, I'd chase down every skeleton mob you see. Tower Shields sell for a few platinum and can easily bankroll your early spells with just a few shields.

Crushbone is the absolute fastest early exp, but it'll be a warzone. If there's enough of us, maybe we can contest it. Worst case, the new zone Pinnacle Caverns is pretty solid exp, has a few neat drops and skeletons for shield drops.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah we'll setup a chat channel to coordinate. My ingame name will be Badtown. Maybe we could setup a Discord channel as well. I'll be around tonight for the launch, I'll be out for most of tomorrow, but then back tomorrow night/all Sunday.

One good leveling sprint in Crushbone can get you to 20, so the real benefit is to get some early PvP points in while everyone's an easy target without massive resists/gear, and easy to find in just a few zones.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
I settled on playing a Wizard and Enchanter, both up around level 11 now. Gotta break for tonight, but I'll be back at it tomorrow night.

Got some kills already, feels good.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Where can I find more info on the ruleset for Green? Is it just a progression server?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
There's a new emu PvP server popping up in a few days that is mostly 1999+Kunark.

EQ PVP is often a train wreck, but it can be a lot of fun as well for those that enjoy it. More info at https://discord.gg/QuFcvazf if it interests you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Pillow Armadillo posted:

What does "levels locked" for 4 days mean?
What PyRosflam said - once someone hits level 30, it becomes the soft cap for 4 days to give everyone else some time to catch up.

And yeah normally Bards are S++ Tier, required for every group and still dominant solo, but they won't be around on this server. I think it's an interesting experiment.