Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Zaphod42 posted:

So being a 16 druid I'm looking at the Testament of Vanear quest. I just went to Highpass Hold and found the secret area with all the smugglers (didn't know about this before, even though I've been through highpass many times, very cool)

Although now I'm realizing the guy (Dyllin Starsine) is a 6-8 hour rare spawn with no placeholder. :v:

Wow, I haven't had to camp a real time rare spawn mob since FFXI's NMs. On the one hand that's kinda exciting but on the other hand :effort:

With blue being pretty popular and this being a pretty popular quest, what are the odds of me ever actually seeing this guy and getting a shot at it? Should I just give up and buy the item instead? I'd much rather earn the quest myself, but if its going to take me weeks of camping then gently caress it. On the other hand while its a popular item its also kinda lower level and most people are probably wearing raid gear and velious poo poo instead now? I dunno if I should bother or not.

Probably want to grab a few more levels first to make it easier to kill him at any rate, but I'm just not sure how to go about this.

I mean if I log in and see somebody kill him then I can go "okay check back 6 hours from now" but if I log in and just never see him, do I really have to camp for up to 6 hours to hopefully see this guy? Its been forever since I've done this kinda camping so I'm not sure what the reality of it looks like.

I know raids have a rotation but that doesn't apply to rare mobs right? :shobon:

Odds are decent you'll find him. A friend of mine whose a bit of an alt-aholic has gotten several testaments. He'd just check on the camp if he was passing through that area, and found Dylin chilling there a surprising number of times with no one around. I don't imagine most people would snipe him if there was a lower level druid sitting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Pretty sure they'll continue attacking you, things don't forget in EQ. Its not a bug, FV is unsafe for wolf form, finding that out is almost like a rite of passage for young druids. I don't remember if it was like that on live since I never played a druid.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Pathos posted:

I'm trying to do some research for my lowly level 16 magician's new pet spells and I cannot figure out where to find the poo poo needed (Halas Heater and Words of Tyranny). I know the words just drop randomly so, okay, I can wait there but... finding someone with brewing is apparently impossible. Any suggestions?

This is on blue by the way, because I'm awful.

Everyone just buys those pets, its in OoT from the high elf lady. Even if she won't sell to you (dark elf), theres always people in the zone doing seafuries or AC that can probably buy it for you, don't be afraid to ask. Pick up the other pet spells from her while you're at it, because that boat takes forever and a day. If you really have to research it, well.. you're taking a harder path than you probably need to.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
You'd have people exploring more out of the way leveling areas, and people roaming in packs for safety like some kind of post apocalyptic wasteland. It could be interesting to see what strategies people come up with, since end game clearly isn't the goal.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

FranktheBank posted:

What level can rogues perma invis? Never played one. What level do casters unlock see invis? I can see Shaman being great because Sow at low lvl.

Rogues start with sneak and get hide at 3, but it takes until.. 10ish? to get their skill high enough they rarely fail. Unless they're uncapped skills, I don't remember. Int casters get see invis at 16.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
I'm thinking about getting back into this, just in time for a double exp weekend. I have a 55 mage and 39 monk sitting on blue, and back on live I never really got to experience anything in Velious, so I have no idea where I'd even start. I also have a 2nd account with a lowbie druid and cleric, around levels 10-15, that I might try to get some levels with during the double exp. Could anyone give a brief rundown of what I could start with on my mage for Velious stuff?

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Anyone familiar with any of the blue guilds? I started playing my 55 mage again, and I've had a couple people try to recruit me, but I'm not sure what any of the guilds are like. I don't really want to get into poopsock raiding, and my schedule can be rather erratic at times. Don't really want to join a guild with the wrong expectations.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
I spent a bunch of time doing the SRo AC thing, and its lovely. Its pretty common to have people park a character there, log on at the specific times he can spawn and try to snipe him, which happened to me after spending ~6 hours figuring out the placeholders and best times to kill things to maximize spawn chance. For the OoT spawn, you can usually ask whoevers doing it to put you on the list and go play an alt, and they can tell you when they're leaving. Granted that list can be several people long.

If you really want to try the SRo spawn, I can track down my notes and share them.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Pratan posted:

Yes please, I am leveling in Rathe Mountains, and don't mind running over to Sro to camp him. The few times I've tried camping the AC in Sro, there weren't many peeps there.

This is on blue.

All the times use the in-game time.

SRo AC cycle
1. Only spawns at night (9pm to 7am game time)
2. Can spawn anywhere in the desert area
3. 30.6 minute respawn time
4. Placeholders: Sandgiant Husam, sand giant, desert madman, barbarian male dervish cutthroat, a mummy (if I remember right, the sand giants are always a placeholder)

The ideal method would be to kill all possible placeholders at 11am, giving it a respawn time at 9pm just as night falls. Clear all placeholders again as quick as possible, and it should have another chance to spawn at 7am as night ends. If it doesn't spawn at 7am, leave the placeholders alone until 11am to repeat 2-chance-night cycle. Unfortunately this is easily broken up by other players in the zone killing the placeholders between 7am and 11am. Also note the sand giants will eventually wander into the dark elf camp and get killed, try to make sure this doesn't happen before 11am.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
As far as I know its possible for it to spawn in the morning when its still considered "night" but it should despawn shortly after that, when the game time ticks over into "day." This is just my assumption, I only spent about a day trying in SRo. AC got sniped right in front of me, so I said gently caress it and just did the OoT camp, at least that one has normal camp rules.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Anarch posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Ancient Cyclops, as well as Pyzjn, are force-spawned similar to the Kithicor Forest undead at 9 PM game-time; however, you're likely to get one of their old placeholders instead. For what it's worth, I have personally witnessed the AC spawn at exactly 9 PM game-time and didn't see anyone hunting in the SRo desert area prior to his spawn. The question that remains is whether killing their placeholders during night hours will force another possible spawn before morning.

Thats quite possible. The respawn time is a bit over 30 minutes, which barely gives it enough time to spawn twice at night, so it'd be hard to test without spending waaaay too much time there. Best just do log in at 9 and look around like everyone else.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Speaking of random zones, I really want to tear through Kedge Keep on a dungeon crawl, and am willing to supply anyone 40+ willing to enable this quest. I have a stack of fish scales, a bunch of EB potions, and two alts eventually needing epic parts from this zone, so I'm motivated to kill everything from Phinny to Estrella.

I've got a 55 mage I've been itching to play again, and I love kedge. Killing phinny is one step towards my unattainable dream of getting a mage epic.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
I've been thinking about getting back into this. Sitting on a 55 mage and 38 bard and monk. It'd be cool to see some of the velious stuff, as I missed almost all of it on live.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not classic unless i can only view the gameworld through 1/4 of my screen.

Or none of your screen if you're meditating. Just watch the health bars, cleric, seeing whats going on would just distract you.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Iksar exiles in Swamp of No Hope are pretty good, I did them for a while on my druid. Quite a boring AFK camp, but nice if you're into that. Also brutes in the Dalnir caves in Warsliks, but they're camped pretty often.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Okay. Well uh. I guess I should have logged out while I was making lunch, because I came back 20 minutes later and apparently I lost three levels from getting spawn-camped over and over at the Cazic-Feerott zone line (I bound myself right in the corner on the Feerott side) by one of the ogre bouncers right outside the temple. :suicide:

Lesson loving learned. I guess I'll be heading back to Swamp of No Hope for a while!!

This happened to a guy in my guild, except he went from level 60 to level 4. He tried asking GMs for help, they told him to get hosed, then also forced him to change his name! So this game is pretty cool sometimes.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Made back all the exp I lost and I'm now comfortably in 34 with new spells. I got a ton of extra cash from grinding back up so I should be able to afford the rest of my spells for a long time.

Thinking about doing that Testament of Vanear quest. Not sure how heavily camped the Highpass NPC is, though.

Can't speak for green, but on blue I don't think he is anymore. Killed him last week and he was all by his lonesome, just watch out for the super bandit in there.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Exactly that. I kinda like quad kiting on a druid for that reason, burn through your whole mana bar for a big chunk of exp, then alt-tab until your full up again.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Definitely bring shrink pots if you're a mage and not a gnome. Also useful to Call of the Hero people in dungeons, if you cast eye into a solid wall, the eye spawns at the dungeon entrance (with some exceptions) so you can invite and summon people that way.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

Is there still a reliable website or Discord that tracks EC auctions or has a lifefeed of them?

Yeah, TunnelQuest works well. I think its the same guy that used to do that twitch stream.

https://discord.gg/pHKFKmud

Has a pretty useful tracker bot, you can have it send you messages when a specific item is being auctioned.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

ukrainius maximus posted:

Awesome, I will check that out! Looks like I need to gain some levels before I can do the paw quest, but it seems that the Testament may be doable at 17? I'll have to check it out.

Testament is easy since it doesn't seem like he's camped that much anymore, just be careful of the super-bandit that wanders through that area that'll basically instagib you at that level.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Don't skills level up much slower on PQ? Seems like powerleveling with quest exp could end up hurting for a while.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Mouse controls on Quarm are quite a bit jankier though, and the whole engine itself seems more unstable. But given that P99 has had over 10 years to tweak things, it makes sense.

I'd still try Quarm first, it'll just have more active players in the lower levels, so grouping options are much more open. Playing fresh on P99 will probably have higher chance of some high level giving you some old gear and some starter plat but it'll definitely feel like its twink or suffer.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
I've heard some crazy stories from the EQ PvP scene and goddamn it really was the wild west back then. The lengths people will go for numbers and internet dragons is nothing short of astounding.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Gildiss posted:

They can perform all of those roles, plus speed, plus heals, and more, and while grouped or solo.

Well they can't really heal. Depending on gear and group level their regen can go a long way, but it'd be slow for a group with only a bard on that front.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Been thinking about getting my bard guilded, he's 55 on Blue. Any goons with a guild rec? Open to casual raiding, definitely want to see about doing my epic. I imagine getting any good raid loot is nigh impossible with the age of the server and everyone having a million dkp or however each guild distributes gear, but surely there's some decent stuff that wouldn't be contested much.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

I joined Kittens to get my epic done as a druid, they raid a lot as well, but if that dragon scale is still locked on farm by whatever asshat guild is currently playing number one on Blue you'll never see your bard epic.

Haven't played on Blue in forever so idk if anyone still raids at all now, it could just be tunnel rats for all I know.

I forgot that bard epic had one of those pain point drops. My other character 50+ is a mage and I've come to terms with that epic being practically impossible. How does Vox even work here, do people just have a bunch of 52 vox-only characters parked in perma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

GrayDorian posted:

The last couple of days convinced me to make a bard and get it to 10 this weekend - aoe kiting is remarkably effective at killing hordes of crushbone orcs and also myself (mostly myself).

What I'm struggling to understand is how bards handle 1 on 1 fights, do they rely on charm later?

I never really liked swarm kiting since it was far too volatile for my taste. Charm kiting is probably the best at higher levels (I'm 55 and been doing sentient armor in WL), but fear kiting is also an option, since fleeing mobs take full damage from dots. Early on melee is doable since good bard weapons are cheap and you have a nice source of haste and regen, but its effectiveness falls off a cliff somewhere in the 30s.