Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xcore posted:

I'm going overseas and I'd like an alternative to lugging around a laptop and external HDD for watching stuff in the hotel which is what I normally do.

I was thinking I could take my Fire TV and a USB stick but I've done some googling and it appears the stick must be Fat32 which is useless for movies.

Will rooting my device and sideloading something let me do what I want? (currently have an unrooted FireTV 2)

There's inexpensive "media hubs" out there that will give you a wifi hotspot, connectable to wired Ethernet (if desired) and, more importantly, one (or more) USB ports to jack external drives or flashdrives into. (The one I have is the HooToo Tripmate Nano, and is adequate for what I use it for - streaming music/video, and general file storage because I don't know of any terabyte MicroSD cards for my tablet yet :v:.) May or may not need a power adapter (same for external HDD), as some have batteries.

Depending on the hotel, the room's TV might be able to handle USB devices as media sources - this is not guaranteed if you get a universal replacement remote, as they don't always have the full button-set/code for replicating the media crap of the manufacturer's unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SMDFTB posted:

I was going through batteries every few weeks on my fire stick until I learned you have to put the thing to sleep when you're not using it-had the same set in there for a few months now.

The Stick remote is Bluetooth, I know. I expect if the Stick is awake, it's sending out stay-awake signals every so often, so a small yet continuing drain on the battery.

I guess. :v:

Can't remember when I swapped in new batteries in mine, IIRC I was having issues and pulled them on the off chance it was low power. (Turns out to be the Stick was slogging through a large upgrade or something.)

• Locked thread