Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This is a stupid derail. Post some content.

e: gently caress, new page

"Broke up my engagement. I should go on Imgur."

I don't know about you, but I sometimes have a hard time believing people who post on Imgur saying things like "I'm black but BLM is stupid" or "I'm female, and I don't need feminism". Even if they're telling the truth, Imgur always seems like a weird place to post about complex social issues, because their userbase seems to be unable to have nuanced conversations about poo poo. Like, this one is all "WE'RE ALL ONE RACE: THE HUMAN RACE"

or this:

AdequateBehaviour -6 points : 8 months ago reply
You see I agree with you in that I don't support the BLM movement, but my reason is that I don't think black lives matter.

:cripes:

cash crab has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

^ e: what she said ^

Enough with this derail please. Find some content but don't you loving dare publish it to imgur you piece of poo poo

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
oh no my pic is on imgur what shall i do

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So there was a comic on the front page and it was pretty neat

I checked the top comment and this was a bad reply apparently

God forbid you buy a comic.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hihohe posted:

So there was a comic on the front page and it was pretty neat

I checked the top comment and this was a bad reply apparently

God forbid you buy a comic.

Woah woah, this is the internet. You don't pay for things here!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

"My family wants to beat up my mentally-ill boyfriend (and probably me) because we're gay."

"Pussies!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Scathach posted:

"My family wants to beat up my mentally-ill boyfriend (and probably me) because we're gay."

"Pussies!"

That blows. Honestly. Both for the guy and his boyfriend, but also whenever I get tired of people parroting "panic attacks aren't a weakness!" (Like, DUH, I know) I forget there's people who legitimately think that having an emotion is a sign of being a pussy. God, how depressing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Let's take a look at infographics today
http://imgur.com/gallery/B50nl3U

"Know what it really costs to get lean"

Here's the downsides of training for bodybuilding or very low body fat percentages:
- Have difficulty socializing
- May miss out on fun events with family & friends
- It's a big commitment
- Hyper-focus on diet and eating leads to disorganised eating
- Time required for exercise may crowd out everything else.

It just says unhealthy instead of actually going into what would make it unhealthy. Then it just goes on a huge rear end assumption that you lose all social life because of this.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Golden Goat posted:

Let's take a look at infographics today
http://imgur.com/gallery/B50nl3U

"Know what it really costs to get lean"

Here's the downsides of training for bodybuilding or very low body fat percentages:
- Have difficulty socializing
- May miss out on fun events with family & friends
- It's a big commitment
- Hyper-focus on diet and eating leads to disorganised eating
- Time required for exercise may crowd out everything else.

It just says unhealthy instead of actually going into what would make it unhealthy. Then it just goes on a huge rear end assumption that you lose all social life because of this.

There is a link at the bottom saying to follow it for a breakdown of what the infographic means, so maybe its addressed there?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I don't really get the Unhealthy tag there. There's no real downside, aside from the time commitment, and most people who are that engaged in their physical fitness either do it as part of their job or as their primary hobby.

Edit: Oh, ha. I only skimmed it, but it looks like the original article makes no major claims about what's healthy or unhealthy other than to point out that fat and lazy is bad for you. It's mostly just an assessment of the various levels of fitness and how much work it takes to attain them. It does still call the highest level of fitness unhealthy, but context is important!

Skippy McPants has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Apr 6, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I don't really get the Unhealthy tag there. There's no real downside, aside from the time commitment, and most people who are that engaged in their physical fitness either do it as part of their job or as their primary hobby.

Based on what I have read, the extreme end of fit IS actually unhealthy. To get that ripped you have to do things to your body that will destroy it as certainly than being a fat slob(usually kidney failure, iirc).

http://time.com/3692668/when-exercise-does-more-harm-than-good/

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Based on what I have read, the extreme end of fit IS actually unhealthy. To get that ripped you have to do things to your body that will destroy it as certainly than being a fat slob(usually kidney failure, iirc).

http://time.com/3692668/when-exercise-does-more-harm-than-good/

That's literally over-training, like two sessions a day would kill anybody and a lot of folks who do train don't suggest it because you'll destroy yourself. Rest is very important.

That said you do not need to over-train like that to get that lean. Most of it is proper nutrition control.

Besides why would that info not actually be on the infographic instead of it loosely saying it's unhealthy and then having several points going "Your friends and family will fade out of existence should you train"

Golden Goat has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Apr 6, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Golden Goat posted:

That's literally over-training, like two sessions a day would kill anybody and a lot of folks who do train don't suggest it because you'll destroy yourself. Rest is very important.

That said you do not need to over-train like that to get that lean. Most of it is proper nutrition control.

Besides why would that info not actually be on the infographic instead of it loosely saying it's unhealthy and then having several points going "Your friends and family will fade out of existence should you train"

Did you look at the whole thing? Because there is a huge section of various levels of lean that are listed as healthy, and only the extreme overtrained people(bodybuilders on show day) are in the unhealthy section.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

E:Blep, i'm starting a lovely derail. I will stop cause i'm dumb.

Golden Goat has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Apr 6, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

http://imgur.com/gallery/aDRfQ5C

quote:

WHYDONTIREMEMBERMYPASSWORD via Android237 points : 3 replies : 18 hours ago reply
Selects Fat Man - hilarity ensues.

quote:

BloodFartThePirate via Android-42 points : 4 replies : 15 hours ago reply
I don't like the name fat man. Just because it's big doesn't mean they have to make fun of fat people with it.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Apr 6, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

If you look at BloodFartThePirate, hes a troll. I had to check because I couldn't believe that was real.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RFC2324 posted:

If you look at BloodFartThePirate, hes a troll. I had to check because I couldn't believe that was real.

Welp, guess I'm the idiot on imgur.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Good ol' Ken M.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I browse this website at work because I like the pictures of dogs. Then I run across these

http://imgur.com/gallery/51Yb8

Which, yeah, she did a lovely thing. But holy poo poo those comments. It's always nice to remember that people on imgur seem to just hate women in general. It's like a 4chan that can't make fun of itself.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I browse this website at work because I like the pictures of dogs. Then I run across these

Which, yeah, she did a lovely thing. But holy poo poo those comments. It's always nice to remember that people on imgur seem to just hate women in general. It's like a 4chan that can't make fun of itself.

quote:

HughJainus3 4 points : 26 minutes ago reply
This is the main reason I strangle hookers at night

quote:

Irinless 1 point : 3 hours ago reply
I don't think her black-eye Is because of leftover makeup with that personality.

Also, LOL at all the people who are suggesting that she is actually fat. Like, you're mad because she called the guy fat, so you call her fat...?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The only amount of self-awareness in that community is buried in the bad comments, as usual;

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

cash crab posted:

Also, LOL at all the people who are suggesting that she is actually fat. Like, you're mad because she called the guy fat, so you call her fat...?

I don't care that the fat woman is taking the piss out of the fat man.

They should both go away permanently.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

:fyh: reenactment?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

cash crab posted:

Calling a woman fat and/or ugly (with or without evidence to back it up) is the go-to insult for certain internet dudes if they don't like what that woman is saying or doing.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Calling a woman fat and/or ugly (with or without evidence to back it up) is the go-to insult for certain internet dudes if they don't like what that woman is saying or doing.

See: Every strawman feminist.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crow Jane posted:

tbf that's also used for men if people don't like what they're saying or doing. How many times has someone been called a neckbeard?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Cumslut1895 posted:

tbf that's also used for men if people don't like what they're saying or doing. How many times has someone been called a neckbeard?

Hey, you're not LoB.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mng posted:

Hey, you're not LoB.

So are you saying that 'neckbeard' doesn't mean fat and ugly, or that noone ever calls anyone a neckbeard?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

So are you saying that 'neckbeard' doesn't mean fat and ugly, or that noone ever calls anyone a neckbeard?

Like some 120 year old whore has any leg to stand on in this debate. :rolleyes:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Like some 120 year old whore has any leg to stand on in this debate. :rolleyes:

That's 120 years young kiddo

edit: 121, actually.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cumslut1895 posted:

Neckbeard is way more encompassing than just appearance though.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Neckbeard is way more encompassing than just appearance though.

eeh, so is a sterotypical 'feminist', it still includes appearance. plus, it's not like anyone would avoid calling someone a neckbeard if they looked the part but didn't act like one.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Cumslut1895 posted:

eeh, so is a sterotypical 'feminist', it still includes appearance. plus, it's not like anyone would avoid calling someone a neckbeard if they looked the part but didn't act like one.

While I agree with you to a certain degree, there's just not the same air of "I wouldn't put my dick in you, therefore your argument is invalid" as there is if the offender is a woman.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Cumslut1895 posted:

Neckbeard refers to a pretty specific stereotype of guys who think bad facial hair looks good. The insults toward women have a subtext that the guys saying it wouldn't want to gently caress them and they're therefore worthless. You could argue that neckbeard maybe has a similar implication, but it isn't anywhere near as blatant.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Oh man, they'd love to be like 4chan. They're such great trolls you guys! And they actually have a sense of humor unlike those drat tumblrites!

Which strikes me as a lovely comparison because 4chan has that one- can't remember- nazi or white supremacy containment board, Imgur dumps content on you every time you go to their website and with tumblr you have to actively be searching for people if you want anything to come across your homepage.

edit: whoops forgot to post content

http://imgur.com/gallery/FsFtbyU

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Apr 7, 2016

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cumslut1895 posted:

I'm going to skip to the end of this argument: Judging women based on their appearance is more wrong than judging men based on their appearance because you're upholding the pressure put on women to look better than their best. Men are not required to be attractive nearly as much as women, so while it's still lovely to base anyone's worth off their physical attractiveness, it's worse to do it to women.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Stuntman posted:

I'm going to skip to the end of this argument: Judging women based on their appearance is more wrong than judging men based on their appearance because you're upholding the pressure put on women to look better than their best. Men are not required to be attractive nearly as much as women, so while it's still lovely to base anyone's worth off their physical attractiveness, it's worse to do it to women.

ugly men still get treated like worthless poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

/\/\/\/\ Not when they have money!

Stuntman posted:

So its worse to gently caress with a man for being poor than a woman?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Outstanding image/title, real idiots in the comments. A good post.

Also, you guys have been derailing hard in these last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
imgur still sucks so I'm unlocking this

http://imgur.com/gallery/05Q2Ayc

• Locked thread