Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

queserasera posted:

Then I saw this.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/6aYcH

Mental health and chronic illness slacktivism make me grumpy.

Even worse than slacktivism, this one goes from the standard "your parents and family will be hurt by your suicide" spiel into a creepy teenage girl revenge fantasy: "your best friend can't get over it and tried to kill herself"; "the girls who bullied you aren't friends anymore and all blame themselves"; "the teacher who gave you a hard time had to quit"; "your boyfriend couldn't save you so now he cuts himself and cries every night and also he'll never fall in love again because every girl he meets reminds him of you"

I get the feeling that if you actually said that poo poo to someone who was suicidally depressed it would probably make things worse; call me crazy but I think trying to guilt someone out of their depression isn't really the best way to go about things.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Cosima posted:

It's such a bizarre attitude. A friend of a friend recently had a baby girl and now he often talks about how when she becomes a teenager he's never letting her leave the house because he's worried about her having sex. It's like dude she's 8 months old why the gently caress are you thinking about this?

That kind of thinking has always had such a creepy 'I own her genitals' kinda vibe to me. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's next to impossible to keep teenagers from loving; if they want to do it they're gonna find a way so you might as well teach them to be responsible about it. It also seems to me that teaching a kid that they have complete ownership of their own body parts (and that no one else has the right to dictate what they do with them) would help keep them from allowing other people to force them to do things they don't want to but what the gently caress do I know, I'm not a parent.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

twistedmentat posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/9wPIkHn
Wait, how is this a joke? You're pointing out similarities between a recent kids movie that takes elements of many superheros and iconic characters from the Silver Age of comics. That's not a joke, that's an observation, plus you got it backwards anyways as the Maximoff's first appeared in the early 60s.

I'm pretty sure the joke was "so did those bullets".

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Ogive posted:

I know this is low-hanging fruit, but I think that comment section may have given me AIDS.

I'm sure it can't be that bad...

quote:

>Gamergate supporters reposted the image on twitter
You mean like you just did?
In an article?
Anything to shift the guilt from the people with actual power to propagate this nonsense,your fellow journalists.

Holy poo poo these people are idiots.

I especially like the commenters yelling about how there's no way to connect the people who made the image to Gamergate after the article went out of its way to document just how that connection was established.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Nov 18, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

"The solution to gun violence is more guns!"

Its funny how these guys never seem to acknowledge that countries with stricter gun laws than ours all seem to have very few incidents like the ones we have every week.

Also, has there ever been a situation that's been resolved by a bystander who was carrying at the time? I mean, they all claim it's the answer so it seems like there should have been maybe one or two but I sure as hell can't think of any.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

I couldn't remember where I saw that chart before so I went with 'every week' to be safe, but goddamn.

I can't help but laugh at this even though I know I shouldn't. I like that the guy had the presence of mind to collect his shell casings before getting the gently caress out of there.

Borden posted:

There was one case where a guy with a concealed carry tried to take down a shooter, but then he realized the person he was aiming at was trying to pull the gun away from the shooter.

I remember hearing about that, wasn't it from the Gabrielle Giffords shooting?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Shayu posted:

Black peoples often refer to themselves by the "N Word", it is in vogue with the blacks of our contemporary society. I thought this was common understanding?

It's highly dependent on context and expression though. If the person who made the image meant it as used in the friendly/familiar manner like you're describing they would have spelled it with an 'a'. Instead it's spelled with 'er', which (combined with the context of the image) indicates he's talking about being called the 'n word' in an antagonistic/racist fashion.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Dec 5, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Shayu posted:

The nazis did take the estates and properties of "enemies of the state" which included political dissidents, homosexuals, Jews, blacks, and many more deemed unworthy by the nazi government both inside and outside of Germany. This wealth was used to enrich the third reich. I don't see why there is such offense taken from pointing this out.

That's not what people are offended by, it's the comparison to modern systems of taxation. The guy is basically saying governments that collect taxes are the same as the Nazis, and people are rightfully offended by that.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Aside from those issues being completely unrelated, how the hell does a person have an issue with equal pay and maternity leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

RareAcumen posted:

I thought this was fine up until I got to the end and sirens started going off

http://imgur.com/gallery/OBdGL

My favorite part of that one is the guy was in such a rush for imgur points that he didn't even get the right person.

quote:

SurfHill 3171 points : 14 hours ago
SgtMaj Kasel is the guy being carried in the middle Chris Marquez on his right. Chris is the one who got jumped. Semper Fi

• Locked thread