Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone else playing this game since the new release? It's pretty fun but I keep genning new worlds till I get a perfect one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I'm still trying to breach my first aquifer. might just go the lazy route and embark somewhere nice and cold

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Anyone else playing this game since the new release? It's pretty fun but I keep genning new worlds till I get a perfect one

you can try the perfect world mod it looks cool, might save some time. i havent used it since i just go with the first world i gen lol

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Schnedwob posted:

I'm still trying to breach my first aquifer. might just go the lazy route and embark somewhere nice and cold
I always just turn them off. Breaching in the first year sucks, and trying to make an underground surface farm sucks even worse if you have aquifers.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

owl milk posted:

you can try the perfect world mod it looks cool, might save some time. i havent used it since i just go with the first world i gen lol

Just genned a real good one with lots of megabeasts, all civs still alive and dwarves at war with gobbos and elves... but drat is it hard to find iron with dfhack prospect

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schnedwob posted:

they're a fun exercise when you've got like 2 levels and rapidly cease to be any fun at all when you find out youve got like 4+, it's worth using dfhack to figure out what you're getting yourself into

i rly wish the same techniques worked for building into/under the ocean

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 3, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
If you don't want to leave your site/world, type drainaquifer into dfhack to get rid of aquifer layers.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

is masterwork ever gonna get updated to the latest version cause it seems like lateluy Toady spends 99% of every update on insane timewasting bullshit that you will literally never see instead of just 95%, and also making sure that his seven months of coding individual dwarf hairs don't glitch out and accidentally make the game do fun things like let you have a fortress full of wizards, and masterwork was just some pretty good gameplay tweaks

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 3, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The .06 version of Reborn is a little deceptive. it has a lot of the core features of masterwork like simple wood and the new workshops still in, but cut out a lot of bloat. It's good enough right now to play with. Disable Succubi

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

loll

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I have no idea why the otherwise good meph would put that AIDS in his mod.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Average Bear posted:

That's how AIDS gets you. It sneaks in with something good.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Average Bear posted:

please don't fault the good people of the dwarf fortress community for wanting to play as a humble farming village of sex demons

Schnedwob fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 3, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
My site has an addy vein poking above the ground of the third cavern. Hell yeah.

Cool tip: Forts built on one Z level have the best FPS.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 3, 2015

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's how AIDS gets you. It sneaks in with something good.

:ironicat:

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

:grin:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does the new update add besides probably some FPS drops.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the dwarves can write poems now and it tells you what kinds of lyrical meter their culture has historically preferred.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
you can also assemble a rock band in adventure mode and play shows to collect even more fans and groupies

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
dwarf writes unhappy
wheres my loving beer bitch
i pull all the levers

lollontee fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 4, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
murder all elves

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
notch is a stupid loving piece of poo poo!!!!

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait not notch. what's the bay12 guy called.

toady is a stupid loving piece of poo poo and so is notch!!!!

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Ralp posted:

wait not notch. what's the bay12 guy called.

toady is a stupid loving piece of poo poo and so is notch!!!!

toady wears a fedora and has autism

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

rediscover posted:

toady wears a fedora and has autism

ah, welcome toady

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
he mainlines dr pepper and lives alone with his cat

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

trying to jack off posted:

ah, welcome toady

it's an honor to be here :D

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Toady is living his dream and as a gamer I respect and admire that.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
dork boretress

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

you can also assemble a rock band in adventure mode and play shows to collect even more fans and groupies

no!!!! these are the features of the next release. The latest (.40.24) runs the world in the background, adds emotions, multi level trees, expanded dialogue, and lets you retire forts without abandoning them.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
And significant

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Average Bear posted:

no!!!! these are the features of the next release. The latest (.40.24) runs the world in the background, adds emotions, multi level trees, expanded dialogue, and lets you retire forts without abandoning them.

good poo poo

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
the newer, bigger trees look really cool in stonesense.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So it's the last update I played then. It ran like a piece of poo poo and the ability for dwarves to climb and stuff was all well and good but he didn't really make the pathing good. So you'd get insane poo poo like say you have an open, 4-level space in the middle of your fort with some stairs on all sides. Well, climbing stairs is faster than scaling the wall but that doesn't stop your dwarves sometimes.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The creepily aloof dialogue while people slice apart helpless goblins is pretty funny though, I have to admit.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
2cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!