Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Ralp posted:

wait not notch. what's the bay12 guy called.

toady is a stupid loving piece of poo poo and so is notch!!!!

toady wears a fedora and has autism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

trying to jack off posted:

ah, welcome toady

it's an honor to be here :D

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Average Bear posted:

no!!!! these are the features of the next release. The latest (.40.24) runs the world in the background, adds emotions, multi level trees, expanded dialogue, and lets you retire forts without abandoning them.

good poo poo

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

CountingWizard posted:

To be honest I don't really find adventurer mode to be very fun. The game world is just too large and there isn't enough "AI do this for me" commands to speed things along. I just find there are too many options for combat actions.

I wish they would replace Adventure mode with a Classic DF mode where you dig into a mountain and do have a Z-axis. When he did away with that, I feel like it made my games hit or miss whether I would eventually find something interesting while digging.

I would also like for a Kingdom management layer to Dwarf Fortress given the state of the game right now, with the ability to move units across roads or underground cavern networks. I'm working with a pal on modifying the original whitebox/little brown book D&D system to meld seamlessly with the mass combat rules of Delta's book of war, and I think it could work for a system like DF too.

Basically:
  • A unit is composed of 10 of the same creatures.
  • There are no hp, instead a unit can be wounded up to its Hit-Die (HD).
  • A creature that is HD/level 8 or higher can stand on its own as a combat unit, and is able to take 1 wound for every 10 HD the creature possesses.
  • Every +3 in bonuses converts to +1 bonus in mass combat.
  • Every 3HD a unit of creatures (not individual) possesses, provides +1 to attack.
  • Every 1d6 of damage a creature causes equals 1 wound it causes if it hits.
  • Instead of rolling a 1d20 to hit, in mass combat you roll a d6 and add your attack bonus.
  • To hit a unit with No Armor = 3, Leather = 4, Chain = 5, Plate = 6, Negative AC = 7; with negative AC being invincible vs. attacks that have no bonuses.
  • All Units attack and wound simultaneously.
  • At the end of each turn of mass combat, there are 3 rounds of D&D combat if two or more characters are engaged in combat against each other, or if players just want to engage a dangerous monster as a D&D group rather than with their army units.
  • Characters can embed with a unit and lead it, granting an extra attack if they are large enough to stand alone, or granting an attack bonus of +1 or +2 to the unit depending on level. (Also +1 to morale).

There is a bit more than that, but we are playtesting right now to work out the kinks and speed gameplay. I'm sure you could scale this system up to proper army sizes of 100 creatures in a unit, and disallow stand-alone units.

this is some good poo poo my man, make sure to post the rest of your thesis in this thread as well

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I used to play this but now I've forgotten how and don't have the patience to learn again. it's still epic though

• Locked thread