Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Feinne posted:

Also do remember that's average melee hits to clear, AoE magic negates most of those defenses.

Not Luck.

Luck is stupid-good on low hp units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

RE: Lore

Neruz's lore posts are super-interesting. But he's making the classic mistake of assuming that every nation's history lines up chronologically across eras. Illwinter has said that there would need to be at least five eras if you wanted to have everybody fitting chronologically.

EA Arcoscephale, EA Ur, and EA Hinnom, and probably EA C'tis 'take place' waaaaay before EA Ermor is doing its thing. Late Republican Rome maps to LA Gath and MA/LA Arcos, though it's hard to tell because they never interact with Ermor's history. Other nations like Abyssia, Pangaea, Agartha, and TNN/Fomoria/*heims are totally divorced from what's happening in Ermor-land. Berytos does kind of glom onto the very tail end of Hinnom, which means that the Berytos which gets smashed by Ermor and removed from the face of the earth would actually be the 'MA Berytos'.

Then in MA you have things like Scelaria and Pythium coexisting with Agartha, Man, and Marignon.

LA has pretty much the same problems with Ctis and Gath effectively being 1000 years before Ulm and Bogarus.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 11, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Libluini posted:

-Make monster with montag-value
-Tell spell to use montag-value as damage
-Tell spell it's a summon-spell by adjusting it's damage accordingly
-Set path-requirements
-Set gem-usage by adjusting fatigue (100 fatigue = 1 gem used)
-Set school
-Set research-level
-Set effect: Here for some reason you need to put a number determining if you want a common summon spell or a commander summon AND the monster-number
-Set number of monsters to summon
-Adjust this number for more monsters per mage-strength
-As long as the spell damage is set to summoning something, the spell will be a ritual automatically, so you're done now.

Just avoid typos, have a plan before you start and relax. It's however quite strange that you'll need to set your monster/commander essentially twice: Both as Spell-effect and with the negative montag-value as damage. It just plain doesn't work otherwise.

I'm pretty sure this is 50% incorrect, but I also haven't written a mod in like 8 months, so what do I know?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Libluini posted:

According to some random goon on IRC, my mod has already been played by other people. Strangely enough, the spells work for them, too.

The spell damage is the negative montag-value and the unit-id is added to the #effect-order. For some strange reason I have to tell the game that the spell is a summoning-ritual, what it is supposed to summon, how many things I want and then again what I want summoned with the montag-value. If I change anything, the spell instead summons random garbage.

And I know this works because I had giant headaches trying to force the spells to work before I found this solution. It works and it is plausible according to the manual, so I'm content with it. :colbert:

The reason is probably to do with using montag values. Which are only supposed to apply to things like Tartarians and Crossbreeds where you get a random assortment of units who have that specific montag. JBrereton's method is the normal correct one.

EDIT: I AM DENYING YOUR EXPERIENCE

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

She also did this thing where there was a different version of her balance mod for every game she hosted. Which certainly raised some huge red flags to me. Though I was taking a break from IRC when the poo poo hit the fan

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 17, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Ramc posted:

Man that effort just does not seem worth the payoff of beating some rando jagoffs online at some weirdzo niche game.

She had nothing else to do with her life except sit on IRC and play video games to win.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I like to put a little pd in just so they can't scout cap it. One or two points.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

With his mages, he's probably looking to go evo-heavy. Since he's not going to risk his one-of-a-kind mage in battle, he's a bit wasted right now. Eventually, he could try to cast some good summons (maybe with an empower for cross-path), or try for the w globals.

However, since draft games are high-powered, it's more important to be ready now. So research and maybe site searching is what he'll do.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Crossposting my victory meme to this thread. I'm willing to let a newbie sub into my winning position if they promise not to go for the instant throne victory but actually play to conquer.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Two points:

1: I'm really not sold on the 'war between Kailasa and Lanka' bit. It's just as likely that the magical bloodlines faded away from Bandar and Lanka.

2. The Nagas use shape-changing to impersonate the Yavana, the ol 'finally-returned after centuries' trick. I'm not seeing the British influence.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's super-dumb, because even once you get rid of the self-flagellation, starvation, and beds of nails, sitting cross-legged and floating is (or was) considered super-buddhist in pop culture.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Neruz posted:

Naw, it used to be zany expensive but then Illwinter went to Steam and learned what a real computer game costs.

They were under contract with Shrapnel, and had no say in pricing until about 6 months before Dom4 came out. Then they got on Steam and Desura and never looked back.

I paid full price for a physical copy of Dom3 :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Feinne posted:

Well I think you get more and quantity is a sort of quality in some regards.

That said if you can cast E11 Flying Shards you can also E11 Blade Wind at the very minimum and one of these two things is much more effective.

Not if you went Conj/Alt!

• Locked thread