Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Hello, lady goons and gentle goons. I'm Baudin Ramc, and I'm writing an LP for the multiplayer Dominions 4 NationDraft game that's currently in progress. I'm awful so I'm probably going to lose, but after flailing helplessly for numerous games I’m ready to lose again, only this time with a custom nation that I’ve drafted for tragedy and terror.
But first, have some exciting, fun filled screenshots of actual in game combat.

Yes kids, it really is just this exciting.
And here's a very representative example of the campaign map!

Or organizing your army!

Which you could use to do things like this:

The Game
I'm not going to rewrite a description for Dominions 4 because it has been done many times before by people far better at writing than I. If you want more information, check out the Dominions 4 Megathread or Modpud's stellar Lanka LP Chickenwing's excellent LP, Wishing for Armageddon is a Legit Strategy. Suffice it to say that Dominions is a turn-based strategy game that shoehorns pretty much every recognizable belief system in the world into the guise of a fantasy nation and then attempts to settle the question of whether Jesus or Thor would win in a barfight. Imagine a Total War game, but with magic and without the ability to control your units or real nation management or any semblance of balance whatsoever. Enticing, I know. Despite the silly, obtuse bullshit it's actually a surprisingly fun game. There's just something so satisfying about causing a volcanic eruption that wipes out a third of your enemy's capital population in one fell swoop, or having a single mage cast a spell that kills half an enemy army with a rain of large rocks.

This particular game is special because it's not vanilla dominions. Similar to Chickenwing's LP, this game is played with 100% custom nations, scavenged from the best (and ocasionally less best) bits and pieces of the various vanilla nations from all ages. If you read his LP you'll notice that I've recycled a large quantity of content. This is because I'm terribly lazy.

I've been told that someone else (Foolofsound) will be posting a rundown of each other player as I come across them. I'll steal his writeups and place them in the LP once he's posted them, because why get two people to do what one person volunteered to do? Down that path lies more effort than I care to undertake.

I'll also link to the updates as I go. If I forget please remind me (on IRC, where goons are even now asking me where the LP is for the past 3 days).

Of note, since this has a bunch of others playing with against me there's about a 12 turn delay so they can't exploit intel gathered here too much.

Notable Posts:
fool_of_sound's Pretender Design Workshop
Discussion of EA/MA/LA
Magic Discussion 1 and Magic Discussion 2, followed by Fluff Magic Power Rankings
A Brief Dom4 History Lesson by Neruz and Abysia and Caelum Historical Overview, followed by Bandar Log Talks and Tien Chi Discussion
I Love You! Libels Nuclearmonkee and Hatwer, and Provides Accurate Self Representation
Pretender Design By Fool of Sound

Also to quote fool_of_sound's post:
A Thread Contest!
We in the world of goon Dominions 4 have no taste, and love memes. If you submit hilarious memes based on this particular game of Dominions 4, you could win your very own Steam copy of the game! You submissions will be judged by a profession panel (Samog) at the end of the LP, and I'm going to try to harass some of the other regulars into submitting second and third prizes as well.

Baudin Updates:
Turn 2
Turn 3
Turn 4
Turn 5
Turn 6
Turn 7
Turn 8
Turn 9
Turn 10
Turn 11
Turn 12
Turn 13
Turn 14
Turn 15
Turn 16
Turn 17
Turn 18
Turn 19
Turn 20
Turn 21
Turn 22
Turn 23
Turn 24
Turn 25
Turn 26
Turn 27
Turn 28
Turn 29
Turn 30
Turn 31

Sloppy Milkshake Updates:
Turn 3
Turn 5
Turn 6
Turn 7
Turn 8

Turn 11
Turn 14

Ramc's the True Champion of this Thread: His Skulls Include the Following
EARULES or THE TROUBLE WITH TRIBLESS
EARULES, PART TWO: I VAN SO FAR AWAY
Ramc's Guide to Winning Dom4
Happy Newbie
DOMINONS_FOUR PART ONE: THE INQUISITION. WHAT A SHOW!
DOMINIONS_FOUR PART TWO: NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION
HUMANITY: WHAT… IS MAN?
Corn Update: Brain Reaped Again
Corn Update: Anime Belongs in the Trash
CORN PART ONE: ONE A-MAIZE-ING GAME
Corn part 2: Insert Corny Joke Here

Baudin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
THE DRAFT

Rules:
A copy of our drafting document

Each player got to draft a Cap-only mage, two recruit-anywhere mages, one cap-only troop, six recruit-anywhere troops - four of which were selected two at a time, a commander, a scout, a priest, a race's starting gem income, and a unique national feature (read: gimmick), from any nation in any age. Arising from this comes the most overpowered bullshit strategies that one can possibly mash into a nation, or terrible gimmicks that will never work but were created to assuage some unknown emptiness inside the drafter. My draft was as follows:

Cap-only mage: Kohen Gadol

I’m going to put it out there right now - my “strategy” for this draft is terrible - it’s giant jews for the most part. That guy you just saw? Giant jew. Most of the rest of my picks? Also jews, or giants, or both. I’m casually racist gimmicky like that.
Asides from the terrible racism and gimmicky status this cap only mage has two really nice things going for him - one he’s got three ranks in holy magic which allows him to bless all the sacreds on the field with one spell which is pretty baller, and he also can claim Thrones of Ascension, which is kind of important because they’re how you win the game and only priests with three ranks of holy magic (which are rare - most nations rely on their prophet, of which you can only have one) and pretenders can do so. Hopefully we’ll see a lot more of him later. Also of importance is the random chance for Astral, Fire and Earth - I’m guessing the earth and astral paths will be more important but I could be wrong.

Next up are my recruit anywhere mages, which also leads me to my gimmick. Also how completely idiotic I am.

Recruit-anywhere mages: Magister Arcane, Master Smith, Marshmaster and Acha
I spent my gimmick getting 4 mages instead of 2. Two of these mages encourage me taking drain scales, the other two not so much. This is not ideal.

Unfortunately neither of these units are giants or jews, immediately ruining my planned gimmick, in my defense though by the time I got around to my last mage picks I was experiencing a bit of anguish at the thought of only seeing giants, so I decided to mix things up a bit.
The Magister Arcane and Master Smith are pretty amazing since they ignore drain for research. I also like the synergy these units have - the master smith can forge boots that boost earth paths which I can use to forge hammers that reduce gem costs to create items, including quills which require the a2 provided by the magister. Then I can also use the increased earth boost on the magister arcanes to cast Rain of Stones to destroy everything on a battlefield. Rain of Stones (RoS) traps are very good, or so I hear, I’ve never managed to use them in game before.
Fallen victim to them, definitely. Used them? Not so much.
I’m more likely to hire a ton of master smiths for one simple reason - they provide 10 resources, resources I’m desperately going to need.

These two are my “extra” mages. I’m less confident about these choices overall.

The Marshmaster is actually a great mage - he’s expensive, cold blooded and fragile but he has great paths, can get further boosts to his death paths via a cold-blooded only item which is quite expensive to make and can summon tons of undead chaff as well. He also gets a much needed supply boost to my units due to the nature paths he has.
The Acha on the other hand I will probably only make a handful of. The main reason I’ve drafted these suckers is for the healer trait, which (god willing) we’ll see some use of in the late game. Or not, who knows.

Cap-only troop: Anahim Anakite

These things are big, expensive, and probably a very bad idea. I’m unlikely to make a lot of them since they’re so drat expensive to build and cap only, however they are sacred which means they have less upkeep, and their exorbitant resource cost should be slightly mitigated by the master smiths toiling away in the capital, churning out research and various useful items. I’m rather curious to see how well my initial expansion goes if I hire a few of these guys just to start with...

Recruit-anywhere troop: Levite Zealot and Ancient One

These two are my first choices for recruit anywhere troops. The Levites are jews, the Ancient Ones are giants. Seems clear enough! They both somewhat fit into my theme of giant jews, and also happen to both be recruit anywhere sacreds. This is important since whatever bless strategy I come up with (and it will be terrible) will form a major portion of my overall strategy.
The zealots are rather cheap and feature decent defense, I’ll likely end up mixing them into any sacred armies I build as cheaper fodder. Asides from the rather steep cost and higher hitpoints the major interesting features of the Ancient One is the need not eat and siege bonus traits - I might need these to siege down forts faster than I would otherwise.

Now for the other troop picks:

I picked these in pairs - the two guards were chosen first, then the horn blowers and archers. The important thing to notice if you paid any attention to the rules is the second batch are what form my province defense and starting army. I did not pay much attention to that particular rule, and so have units that are commonly acknowledged as bad for both starting army and province defense duty.

Regardless, These are from two of the three jewish factions - EA Hinnom and MA Ashdod, with the Tower Guard coming from LA Man. The Gileadite Archers are a token/joke pick, I’m unlikely to use them often due to their high cost, poor map move speed and abysmal precision. The Tower guard though have shields to block incoming arrows, decent defense and precision meaning they won’t get hit as often and will hit more often, and should do a bit better. I guess I’ll see what happens in game though.
The other notable thing about these picks is how the Horn Blowers increase morale in whichever group they’re in by 1 (which does not stack with other horn blowers), and they also get a +5 siege bonus, meaning they count as 5 extra troops in the case of a siege. This could be interesting with the Ancient Ones.

The commander/scout/priest/simple troops were all picked at once and I was pretty much last, and so was left with some pretty garbage choices.

Commander: Rephaite Commander

This guy is just a generic gigantic commander, nothing too special unfortunately. I hope to not use him too much, to be honest. He does have decent leadership and good hitpoints though!

Scout: Caelian Scout

This sucker flies, which is pretty drat useful for quickly discovering where other players are on the map and for getting great vision of the map later on in the game when I’m inevitably left with 4 provinces barely alive so the LP can continue while you watch me death spiral while I show how other players are doing.

Priest: Jotun Gode

Nothing special, except that he's a giant and so has decent HP like the rest of my troops. Notably he’s not jewish, which is crazy.

Pretender God: Mother of Monsters

Memorable quotes from IRC:
(11:48:04 AM) Corbeau: it's literally cheaper to lich it
(11:48:12 AM) Corbeau: or blood fountain it
(11:51:44 AM) Corbeau: I don't get why you're bothering with the minor death bless

(6:33:44 PM) Absum: Design points: -18
(6:33:58 PM) Absum: your god has issue
- Not pictured here: the +20 design bonus we all received for having our chassis of choice made favoured for each nation

(6:37:40 PM) iloveu: oh my god your nation is historically terrible
(6:40:07 PM) iloveu: marshmasters are your best thing im pretty stoked about that
(6:40:30 PM) iloveu: because you probably wont use them much since they require the opposite research of the rest of your mages
(6:40:32 PM) iloveu: owns owns onws

(6:45:03 PM) samog: please also mention that ancient ones are obese pale worm men

(1:21:00 PM) samog: when does baudin realize that dawn guard are actually good
(1:21:05 PM) Baudin: never

Rephalim is a nation formed from the magic drained lands inhabited primarily by giants. At the dawn of time a bad picker decided to choose only the most gigantic useless jewish giants in the game to form his perfect armies, and did so with the additional delusion of never needing to worry about magic ever again. Thus he looked to the descendants of the Nephilim, kings over the Avvim, Rephaites and Gath. Truly, a wise decision which will not be punished repeatedly.

Other Nation Overviews:
New Alfheim
Mongler Horde
Pax (by the Drafter)
Boingladesh

Baudin fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 12, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 1:

I log in to see this:

Something about why we're fighting to the deaths of many fake pixel men.

Here's the world map of what we're fighting over:

I zoom in to my starting province to see what I can expand into, and turn on the money/resource view so I can get an idea of how rich whichever provinces I’ve expanded dominion into are.

Ok, so far so good. It looks like I’m near mountainous provinces, with three nearby thrones. This seems like a good start, with the potential for me to not get completely destroyed in short order.

Then again, I’m notoriously bad and picked purely for a gimmick build that isn’t very good. Lets see who my competition is!

Clearly someone is very, very lazy when it comes to picking a pretender name. That’s 10 pretenders, and not a ton of land to go around. Some poking around on IRC reveals that it’s notorious good poster fleurs. I might have to find him and destroy him first.

My first move is to send out my flying scout - I chose a flier purely to show off whats going on for the LP, and not because it lets me quickly figure out where other people are in the early game. I’m willing to bet that someone else is near these mountains, maybe even two or three others, so I send out my flier to check out a nearby province and hopefully get some good dirt on other goons.

Oh and since I’m an idiot my starting army looks like this:

To supplement this terrible start I’ve decided to recruit my levite zealots, the cheapest sacreds I could get. I’ve also made the starting commander my prophet so I can be sure they’ll get blessed. My first commander to be recruited is a marshmaster - another non giant unit that I’ll be using to scour the map for gems that might come in handy later.

As you can see there’s not a lot to do on the first turn, generally I can be done in a few minutes if I know the nation I’m playing. Which technically I should for this game since I picked all these units myself (two weeks ago :v:)

At this point I almost end my turn before I check one last thing - Mercenaries. I usually don’t check for them on the first turn because I go through them too fast. I hope no one else notices they’re available and put a few extra gold in my bid. Assuming I win the bidding process done when the turn ends I’ll have the mercenary band for 3 turns which will make expansion a bit easier, especially since my starting army consists primarily of horn blowers and terrible giant archers. And the horn blowers are in my pick purely to provide some extra morale and siege bonuses, not to expand with.

Unfortunately this means I’ll be recruiting a smith instead of the marsh master since they’re a bit cheaper. Tragic I know.

Out of habit I hit the “N” button a few times to scan for inactive commanders, and of course since I only have two at the start it does nothing. Good enough, lets see if I win the bidding war before fighting commences!

END TURN!

Baudin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 4, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

TheDemon posted:

wtf is that draft lol

is there a list of the whole thing somewhere

It's pretty bad, here's a copy of the google doc we used.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BKNFyiUZlunhN10_gabcLBo1DMiHYlJ1lvzgE6lmhEk/edit

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Feinne posted:

You seem to have somehow drafted a nation that is like Gath but worse. Meditate on this.

I mean maybe there is some change between dom3 and dom4 (I've been too busy to pick up the latter) that makes Gath not the worst but I'm going to assume Gath is still hot garbage.

Yup, it's bad. I don't plan on winning this thing.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 2:
I check the message screen - all notices of other players picking their prophets:

Of note three players didn’t pick prophets.

And this is mine:

I didn’t come up with that name, but it’s pretty much perfect. Actually how did that name come up?
(ed: foolofsound is a tricky man. Thanks for letting me have a non-generic prophet name!)

Unfortunately I failed to win the bidding war on the mercenaries - this could prove to be a major problem.

Oh well, maybe another crew will show up soon?

I’m not sure if my army will be good enough to expand, but I guess it’s worth trying. After some thought I decide to send all my troops out and not keep back a standard bearer - I’m unlikely to win otherwise.

I need more resources for my highly expensive troops, and I’d like a good expansion path. I’d also love to support this meagre army on its’ next move, assuming it survives

Next turn I should be able to expand up into the woods to my west, assuming everything goes well. On that note I start up my recruitment:

I’m desperate for troops - the main issue with getting giants is you just don’t get a lot of them. I’m not even trying to get anakims yet - they’re too resource and gold costly for me to even recruit one a turn right now. Maybe once a few provinces nearby start feeding my capital their precious resources I’ll be able to though. I’m picking up a few ancient ones since I’m more resource starved then anything else - they’re slightly cheaper resource wise than the zealots, and have more hps to regenerate and activate blood vengeance.

I check my research and set my freshly recruited mage to research this turn. I’m going for at least an early level of alteration so I can support my troops with Earth Might, a decent boost to strength (I think? I honestly should be more familiar with the magic of this game, but asides from thunderstrike spam it’s a bit over my head)

And here’s Earth Might.

I’m likely to continue getting levels in alteration - there are some decent spells in there I think.

I then check on my scout to see what he’s revealed:

Diddly squat. Too bad, it would have been nice to start up diplomacy early on. I send him up north to see what else is near the mountains.

With that I think my second turn is ready to be sent in.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It is a beautiful draft of good things. BIG GOOD. BIG STRONG.

You forget how important the Jewish heritage is.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 3:
IRC Quote of the Turn:
(9:10:08 AM) Nuclearmonkee: everyone will find everyone within a couple turns in a draft game
(9:10:11 AM) Nuclearmonkee: cause everyone has good expansion

Time to check on my first battle!

Flawless Victory. Awesome, now to watch the battle!

I also got a great event for my capital, +15 defence which will stack for a total of 40. This results in the following total defensive army:

It also gives me better unrest control and patrol strength in case someone tries scouting me or unrest crops up.

I push up the province defence (PD) to 1 in my newly gained province, and move on to attacking the next province in my capital’s circle of provinces.

I’m sending in my support army with the marshmaster leading a few sacred troops - I’d really like the marshmaster to survive so I send him to the back with orders to stay behind the troops. I’ll use independant commanders for moving reinforcements forward in the future so I take a closer look at my new province and notice it has a Great Silver Mine. Awesome!

Extra 60 gold per turn is a nice bonus on top of the 69 income the province itself provides. I recruit a indie commander and look to my home province to see what I should recruit.

After considering my options for a bit I decide to start on producing Ahiman Anakites - they’re extremely powerful in the expansion phase and my starting army might be enough to take a few more provinces, which could leave me in a good position to start another expansion army and go in a different direction. Or support my existing army. Or something.

That’s a pretty meagre looking reinforcement queue. But also a powerful one. I hope.

I hit “N” and realize I have yet to deal with my poor scout - most importantly I notice there’s a small red and black candle which means someone else is nearby to the northwest of my capital. Time to swoop over and see!

And with that another turn is done.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 5, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Neruz posted:

I have some bad news for you Baudin.

(That's not how those work. The extra gold is calced into the province income. That is a 9 gold province (actually like 18 but shenanigans regarding admin values and fort nonsense) prior to the income from the silver mine.)

Well that explains a lot!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Feinne posted:

It's fortunate you don't need to do one for the OP, I'd imagine you'd have a nervous breakdown right at the start trying to figure out Kohen Gadol as a choice.

He's just so expensive and actually costs resources.

Like if we just confine ourselves to LA you could have a Nagarishi for 40 more gold.

The explanation would probably be something like this:
"Baudin is a notoriously bad player who constantly chooses terrible nations for each game he plays in, so this is really no surprise. I wonder what other terrible picks he'll come up with"

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 4:
IRC Quote of the Turn:
(10:21:23 PM) foolofsound: why are you using ancient ones and not your good sacreds
(10:21:37 PM) Baudin: which ones are good
(10:21:50 PM) foolofsound: compared to ancient ones?
(10:21:55 PM) foolofsound: either of them

Ok, lets see what happened with the second expansion!

Ow, gently caress. What the hell happened?

Apparently I dramatically misjudged how strong my army was compared to the target. And now I’ve got… issues. Messing up early expansion is not a good thing - I’m now behind compared to every other nation that hasn’t failed yet. Luckily others quite possibly have also failed, this isn’t something that completely unrecoverable from (I hope).

Anyway I don’t have a lot of options so I start up my recruitment of new units and move on to another target while I lick my wounds. I’m going to try out a province with heavy infantry and militias, maybe that’ll be a good target?

And finally I’ve found another player - one that’s doing far better than me so far.

Overall not a good turn. Goddamn.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 5:
I’m very very nervous about this expansion.

I designate my expansion army and a few reinforcements to move onto the farmlands to my capital’s north, to increase my capital’s resource intake again. I also send my marshmaster to the forest to check for sites next turn.

Now to start up another round of recruitment, starting with a scout in the province I just took. I’m going to need these guys to keep an eye on the neighbour to my north west.
Back in my capital I make another Anahim Anakite and a load of zealots along with the requisite smith.

My scout’s found another player to my northeast - I’ll send him out further to check for more detailed information on where they’re located.

As always I jam N a bunch of times, check my research (I can cast some new alteration spells) and then end the turn.

e: and yes I am double posting to move past my minor catastrophe in expanding.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 6, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Meme contest! Win a copy of Dominions 4 or a hilarious mug!

Terrible, yet accurate

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 6:

IRC Quote of the Turn:
(9:25:09 AM) foolofsound: since he's hyperblood 900

Not too much happened this turn - I took another province in my cap circle, and one of my master smiths was wounded while making some elixir or other.

I have a decision to make - should I continue to clear my cap circle or rush toward the central mountains and try for a 150 gold mine and gem events? After thinking about it for a few minutes I decide to clear a bit more of my cap circle and then see if I can wipe that province. It’s not ideal but maybe I can convince my neighbours to hold off on taking that province? Alternatively I’ll never take possession of it.

I move the independant commander back to pick up more reinforcements and continue swinging with my prophet. Now to check on my scout, and the new capital I just found!

Excellent, now to continue scouting

This is the point that jamming “N” comes in handy. I completely forgot about the new scout and my marshmaster (don’t judge me, I was playing Ark at the same time), and would have missed out on scouting the northwest neighbour

Time to end the turn!

Baudin fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 8, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Something to note: that farm area isn't good. It has 60 income and 27 resources because it is both farmland and mountainous. Dom4 chooses to give it the worst of both, instead of the best.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 7:

IRC Quote of the Turn:
thespo: post turn 7!
and
thespo: because foolofsound is the literal devil

Another boring expansion turn.

I found my first site - a Burial Mound in Northeastern Worldheart which will give me a death gem each turn. Handy!

Once more I’m trying to decide which way to expand. Eventually I send my expansion army back to my capital to move west next turn.

I’m also sending the marshmaster east to my capital as well and start up a new research path - construction.

Once I get construction 2 I’ll begin pumping out

Maybe using Dwarven Hammers?

My scouts are still pretty useful - look, another player!

My neighbour to the north just expanded into the caves - maybe we’ll have peace in our time!

Again I mash N - only turning up my indie commander in the capital (which I’m not going to be moving quite yet), and End the Turn.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 9, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 8:

Alas not much to report this turn - two unexpected events (one that gives me 243 gold, the other 3 dominion in the province) which are a nice bonus and another level of alteration done.

I send forth my newly combined army - I probably don’t need this many men in place, but I’ll be creating another expansion army in short order. I need to start saving up for a second fort, which is another issue entirely.

I’ve sent out my prophet, an indie commander and a marshmaster to take the nearby province - the marshmaster will be enlarging my units, and the indie commander will be used to build a second fort somewhere in the mountains. After a lot of thought I decide to send in a master smith as well - he’ll be used to buff my troops this battle and site search as well. A potential issue is my lack of research - I’m sending out more mages than usual. I’ve also sent out my newly created flying scout to check out the mountainous areas for other players.

I’ve started up the recruitment of a cap only mage-priest that I’ll be using as a second expansion commander, hopefully I can get that army completed in relatively short order.

Luckily my other flying scout has been doing good work - I’ve found yet another player!

It looks like we’re pretty tightly packed - my early failure to expand will likely hurt me in this game.
Again with the mashing of “N” and another turn ended!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

TravelLog posted:

Out of curiosity, who would you guys say is the best goon Dom player? What is their strategy/in-game personality like?

The best dom4 goon is the one that never plays. He's truly the best of us all.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 9:
Another successful expansion, with only one ancient one lost:

This also brings me into close contact with two new players, which could cause problems soon.

I’m advancing my expansion army into the centre of the map, in hope of getting to claim the sweet mine there, with potential for further glorious gem income.

In particular I’ve now met an awake expander, Barack HUSSEIN Obama, a devourer of souls.
He’s clearly done a better job of expanding than I have, which is a huge problem.

The GREAT part about this particular guy is that he instantly kills whatever he bites.

I’d rather have him attack someone else, anyone else.
I need to start up a fortress relatively soon, so I’m saving up my income from this turn, asides from the already training Kohen Gadol. I add a few zealots to the mix as well, just so I can have something to move around next turn. Hopefully I can fortify the gem income location and have a good location to attack from in a few “short” turns with the gold I’m saving up from this turn.

I send my various scouts out to check on nearby lands - including areas near Goran, another neighbour.

I jam my finger on N a bunch, and then end my pitiful turn.

I have a bad feeling about this. I’m behind on expansion and need to start eating up opponents quickly. This is highly unlikely to happen.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 10:
Excellent, another successful expansion!

Hoburgs are tiny hobbit like creatures. Great defense though!

They were led by this enterprising fellow:

Plus I found a shortsword left behind by his corpse. I’m likely never going to use it.

Well ok maybe I will… though the x3 vs larger beings is a bit of a problem, considering nothing’s larger than my troops in general.

I also received some gems due to an event:

And my marshmaster found a site which produces nature gems!

The mine I just took also gives me 150 gold per turn, nothing to sneeze at.

I immediately start building a castle in this province. If I can keep it I suspect the tiny hoburgs will form an excellent addition to my nation.

I also realize I’ve been completely ignoring mercenaries for quite some time:

Regardless my recruitment in the capital is now a bit…. anemic.

On a completely different note I’ve been keeping track of IRC logs in a google doc - that way I’m far less likely to forget what pacts I have with which players. I’ve already begun talking to a few neighbours, and hopefully I can get more talking going soon.

I’ve continued scouting - including finding another nation’s capital!
Boingladesh. Jesus that’s a terrible name.

And another location shows a new player discovered!

So the map kind of looks like this:

I move around my various land based scouts, send my newly recruited Kohen to my east to look for sites next turn, and hit the end turn button, again.

A very expensive site searcher.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

fool of sound please teach me how to not bad bad at this game T_T

I can teach you how to be utterly terrible!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

biosterous posted:

Please don't thumbnail everything in the update posts. It makes it a pain to read.

In commemoration of the awful Dom4 UI I'm being horrible and using timg for most of my posts (I'm actually doing it to prevent breaking tables)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

I am losing to indies.

I may come hang out in the IRC.

Ok we need to do a quick blitz, I can teach you how to kill indies at least (despite my failure in this very thread).

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 11:
I lovely short set of messages await me when I wake up:

The expansion went well - no losses again!

It seems Morlockia has started fighting with New Alfheim, and I’m not in position yet.

Now that I’m making a decent amount of cash and aren’t saving up for a fortress right away I start pumping out some of my better units in my capital, and grab a gode as well to create a temple at my new fort.

My research is… anemic at best, so I start crafting those owl quills.

I would prefer to have dwarven hammers but those are construction 4 - they’ll have to wait.

Back to scouting - one more capital discovered:

Pax (player named Fleurs) appears to be doing quite well right now. Too well.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

ousire posted:

The hammer really only gives a two gem discount? Didn't it give 25% discount in Dominions 3?

Yes. They're not nearly as good for expensive items anymore.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 12:

So much for finding anything in this particular round of site searching. Drat.

Since I have a scout in a province where two other players are fighting I can watch the combat!

Unfortunately it doesn’t look too interesting. Still, it’s good to know Pax is fighting my mortal enemy, the Mongler Horde.

I start recruiting more troops - I add in some crossbowmen since I’ve run out of expansion options relatively early. Time to see about smashing in faces.

I’ve also started equipping my master smiths with quills for increased research. Hopefully I can get construction 4 in decent time. (Edit: Clearly I'm as bad at dominions 4 as I am at posting regularly :cripes:)

I also start moving my troops back to my capital - Morlockia has taken a province in my cap circle, something I’ll need to remedy in short order.

State of the world: the northeast:

And Southwest:

You can see Pax has a lot of provinces. Definitely a problem, alas probably for later since I have no way of attacking him directly.

With that, another turn ended! Sadly just moving troops around for the most part - something that won’t change quickly I’m sure.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Feinne posted:

One interesting diplomatic situation is Morlockia having one of Baudin's cap circle provinces. Baudin would not be unreasonable in asking him to cede it, and unless Morlockia is actively planning to attack the expectation would be that he will do so.

Like neither of them really wants to get into a dumb fight over something like that right now because they're surrounded by stronger neighbors and regardless of who 'wins' the war they're both out of the game at that point.

Oh boy.

Edit: I'm somewhat hesitant to give too much information on what I'm thinking and doing diplomatically since a) I'm bad at it, and b) a lot of what I'm doing and saying I don't want everyone to know about, even 12 turns out. I could give more info if people are interested.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 20, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 13:
IRC Quote of the Turn:
(11:09:13 PM) thespo: burlap is truly the most hitler

Turn 13:

Uhh Pax (Fleurs) is pretty drat big.

This could be a potential problem. For later!

The owl quill production continues - it’s the only reason I asked for native air gem generation.

(Ed: I'm a loving retard, clearly - more air gems would be useful later on)

My research continues (all focused on that sweet, sweet construction),

I’m also continuing to recruit more men and giant men in my capital.

All so I can move on a nearby foe soon.

Soooooooooooooon.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 24, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Unless you're really trying to rush something, most players only do research when they have excess money/fort turns during year 1. Having good expansion is generally much more useful.

No one said I was good at this game :cripes:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 14:

Someone claimed a throne - this is how you win this game. Get enough Thrones of Ascension and you’re acclaimed as the new god of the world, with the others cast down and mocked (on irc but only if they were dumb). The two unexpected events are death related - one features me lose about 100 people, the other is an increase in the death scale and more people dead. It’s fine, they’re probably not actual giants :colbert:

Claiming thrones also gives events that are worldwide - this is a good one that offsets my natural death scale with a bit of growth. Awesome!

I also found a gem deposit! I have no idea what this does, but it’s gotta be good (probably a single earth gem)

Yes. I got a new hero unit!

He’s a giant (all my heroes are giants) but he also has a bunch of water paths, which I do not need. I’ll set him to research until I can figure out what the hell I can do with him.

I also lost a province to an independant invasion, which is a mild issue. I need to retake it, but I also want to set up an invasion of another nearby power. Hrm.

Nasy, vicious, vine ogres and men.

Ok. I’ll try to deal with both at once and divide up my forces.

Rafa, the Kohen Gadol will deal with the independant invasion, while my prophet, Hitler’s Worst Nightmare will launch a completely surprise invasion of Burlap. Coincidentally I’ve been mentioning that I’ll be retaking that province in IRC quite a lot. I wonder if he’ll send troops to reinforce the province?
I guess we’ll find out!

End Turn!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

uh isn't getting a W5 natural mage a big deal

isn't that, like, really good

It'd be great if I had any way to take advantage of it. I have very few water gems, no immediate access to water and I'm not going to side track my research to aim for any decent water spells. Plus the best summons need to happen underwater if I understand the spells correctly (this is not a solid bet)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Sorry about the delay - I was out camping this weekend and had an exam Thursday I was supposed to be prepping for (I didn't :ssh:)

Turn 15:

More messages. My crusade to complete construction 4 is nearly finished - with construction 3 down I only have a few more turns until I can create earthboots, forge dwarven hammers, and make more quills for cheaper.

This is probably not a good strategy, but I’m incapable of resisting. The tides of gem efficiency pull me ever tighter into it’s terrifyingly systematic grip.

Another throne has been claimed, tragically not by me (again).

I’ve retaken the province stolen by that hippie druid

Now to turn that army back around and reunite it with the other army which has done…

Well actually!
Excellent.

It also seems like someone else is bedevilled by terrible vine men and ogres.

I’ve also found two new sites! Including one that gives me water gem access too!

Unfortunately it appears the first casualty will be the Mongler Horde - truly they got what they deserved. I’m moving in to grab whatever scraps I can, while my main group consolidates with my recent recruits. I’m rather unsure of where I should strike next - it’ll depend in large part on what I can find out about what others are up to.

Fun times await!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 16:

IRC Quote of the Turn: (7:53:21 PM) foolofsound: baudin you arent allowed to blizt until you update the lap

This one's for you fool.

Oh the joys of simultaneous invasions - not only did we invade Worldvein Caverns, but so did Pax. I’m surprised - I didn’t realize that he had troops in place ready to invade.

It does not go well. drat. Worst part? We both break at the same time, but the Pax troops retreat more slowly.
I’ve been concerned about Pax for a while, but I think this means war.

However in the good news category I’ve managed to finish a castle!

This is very useful - I’ll now be able to have another recruitment centre to hire more troops (including those levites I just lost tons of, since they’re recruit anywhere).

Also very excitingly I’ve finally randomed a e3 mage in my home city!

I’ll be using him to cast legions of steel for now, with another mage around to buff strength.

I start recruiting in both of my castles - clearly I need to replace those lost sacreds.

Capital:

Second Castle:

Not a lot yet, hopefully I can get something started soon.

I send out my combined army north, to deal with an expansionist Pax

Here’s hoping they don’t all end up as mush.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Sorry about being bad at posting: I'm just awful overall clearly!

Turn 17:
This is a pretty quiet turn:

More magic sites - I’ll need these gems I’m sure.

And my useless water giant hero is now just a useless hero, after being randomly shrunken in a lab. This is what he has for stats now:

Crap.

I’ve decided to go big on the Hoburgs. I love these tiny guys, they deserve a place in my giant jew nation, so I think I’ll start producing them en mass.

My second attempt at the cave will feature a bit larger of an army than last time:

We’ll see what happens - hopefully I don’t lose my army, since this is currently most of it!

A larger map view:

Again I jam N a bunch and its time to End That Turn!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 18:
Research Complete. Finally.

And someone else has captured a throne.

And I easily won the battle against Pax:

Against a single unit, so not exactly valiant combat at arms. After some intense negotiations I turn my army back south to move on a different nation.

As well someone has taken the Throne of Life, which also has this nice little side effect:

And my troops begin to starve due to a lack of resources in the caves.

I completely forgot to account for that - I believe troops can generally last a turn before negative afflictions begin to afflict them if they use up more supplies than are present in the province they’re in.

I currently have four mages searching for sites, including the Kohen Gadol.

I’m also creating that Dwarven Hammer that I’ve been talking about so much. I hope it comes in handy, since I need to conserve my gem income (I probably don’t, but at this point I’m feeling like I really should.)

In my second castle I’m starting to diversify, since I’m constantly running low on gold.

With that I turn back, and look at the various spells I can research. For a very very long time.

I eventually decide to grab two levels in Conjuration - I suspect it’s the only path that all of my mages can actually make use of.

End Turn!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 19:

Not a lot happened, I’m still moving around troops this turn, plus my site searching was apparently pointless.

Luckily the unexpected event is just free gems

Air gems, the best kind!

One of the thrones on my border just got fortified. It also has a LOT of undead. I’m going to have to counter this somehow eventually.

Sorry for the pretty short update. Not a lot happening :v:

End Turn!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Feinne posted:

Bizarrely Kohen Gadol are almost useful in the situation of 'guy poo poo out a bunch of skeletons'. I mean they're still too expensive for what they do but you'll at least get some level of value out of them because they can dispel undead in battle much more efficiently than they can be raised.

Alas I am not a smart man.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 20:
IRC Quote of the Turn:
(1:09:30 PM) FatSamurai: Everything in Dominions ends in tears

More troop movements, in a circle almost.

I found some elusive lights!

And my scout was discovered by some longdead.

Poor guy.

I’ve got a nice little set of gems now. I should start making it work for me soon.

I’ve decided to finally make my move - I’ve been holding off on attacking Morlockia (Burlap) for a while, but he’s got a fancy new castle on my borders, I need to do something about it.

Time to start making some ancient ones. What could possibly go wrong?

I’ve also sent various mages out site searching, and my scouts are once again moving around the map, trying to track who’s doing what. Knowing who’s actually attacking whom and general locations are very useful. So is diplomacy.

I’m moving a LOT of troops around.

Lets see if they all die horribly! I’m rather constrained right now - at least I seem to have stable borders, though that could change very quickly!

End Turn!

Baudin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 14, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

How are u posted:

Still baffled that you picked Ancient Ones for any reason whatsoever.

If my opening post where I detail that I'm bad at this game hasn't clued you in yet I don't know if I can help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 21:

The Mongler Horde is officially dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNmiNJMxPF8

And I managed to do it again, when it comes to starvation.

It also appears as if my target know I’m planning to invade soon.

That is a lot of earthbound.

And this is all that I have to bring to the party. It might not be enough, so I’m moving troops in from my other forts.

I’ve also ordered my water mage (former giant) hero to craft one of these:

If I can keep him alive long enough maybe I’ll start summoning cool things, or use him to do cool water based things. Highly unlikely though.

I’ve also started to recruit Magister Arcanes in my capital. I have a lot of resources, so I probably don’t need to worry too much about master smiths for now there.

End Turn!

• Locked thread