Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Zen's schtick is that he completely wears his heart on his sleeve, while Shirayuki is more reserved and so can act as the audience stand-in. Zen is more emotionally tumultuous, while Shirayuki already has a stable personality. Zen needs Shirayuki more than she needs him.

And both characters are simply nice people, and lack the typical pathologies of anime characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The bandit fight copped out when they didn't kill any of them. This one had no such attempts. Perhaps the point was to draw a contrast between Zen and Izana.

Also, this episode knocked it out of the loving park. There were little hints there and then, so the betrayal wasn't unexpected to the audience. But I can't believe the show didn't cop out of killing Atri as well. I was entirely expecting a lessening of will, no more than a mere exile, up until the point a grown man slices open a child with a sword.

Zen remains the emotional heart of this show, someone who despite past betrayals, is still willing to open himself up to others.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Another thought about this show. Unlike many other shows, the two leads are not defined by one another, they are both active characters in their own right. Shirayuki was a skilled and successful herbalist before she met Zen. Zen meeting Shirayuki was merely one step in his long journey of personal growth. Both characters can stand on their own, and so become even stronger together.

Some of the shots this episode were also great.

I really liked this show of Atri reflecting himself on the piece of flint he was carving. Who is this arrowhead aimed for? Himself?

Then there were these two shots of Zen and Mitsuhide. It starts off with a deliberate barrier between the two, then the camera zooms out, and both figures are encompassed within the same windowframe. For the first time, a connection is forming between the two.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
hey viewers, don't mind me, just lemme drop in yet another best girl like it aint no thang

• Locked thread