Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

(Akagami no Shirayuki-hime)

Reposting now with a better thread title, since the original wasn't getting much traffic anyway. :v: Simulcasts every Monday at 12:00 PM Eastern on Funimation and Hulu!

Synopsis
In the kingdom of Tanbarun lives Shirayuki, an independent and strong-willed young woman. Her resourceful intelligence has led her become a skilled pharmacist, but her most defining trait is her shock of beautiful apple-red hair. Her dazzling mane gets her noticed by the prince of the kingdom, but instead of romancing her, he demands she be his concubine. Shirayuki refuses, chops off her lovely locks, and runs away to the neighboring kingdom of Clarines. There, she befriends a young man named Zen, who, SURPRISE, is also a prince, although with a much better temperament than the previous one. Watch as Shirayuki finds her place in the new kingdom, and in Zen’s heart.

(Source: FUNimation)

The studio is BONES, by the way. The same one that did Ouran, BBB, and and a whole bunch of other shows.

Main Cast

Shirayuki

An up-and-coming herbalist whose red hair is highly unusual. Due to several incidents involving her hair (including the prince of Tanbarun requesting that she become his concubine), Shirayuki abandons her shop in the middle of the night. She escapes into the forest to meet...

Zen Wistalia

Zen is the second prince of the neighboring kingdom Clarines, who has an accidental encounter with Shirayuki after jumping a little too enthusiastically over a fence. After clearing up some things with Prince Raj (and getting poisoned in the process - don't worry, he's fine), he officially hires Shirayuki as a palace pharmacist of Clarines. Princely Aura: 10/10.

Kiki (blonde) and Mitsuhide (blue)

Zen's two aides who accompany him everywhere. Mitsuhide is more polite and forgiving of Zen's antics, while Kiki refrains from pleasantries and cuts straight to the point. Kiki is the best.

Obi

A hired assassin who switches sides after meeting Shirayuki and Zen.

Other Characters

Prince Raj

Beauty and grace personified.

Ryuu

A new pharmacist that Shirayuki meets. He's pretty accomplished for his age.

So what's in it for me if I watch this show?

A mix of ACTION!

DISOBEYING ROYALTY!

NICE SCENERY!

and the most important of all... HARDCORE APOTHECARY ACTION! of which there's a disappointingly small amount of .gifs

oh yeah, there's romance too. see: the entire show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
We can make low content posts together! I think we're the only ones watching this anyway.

When I said I wasn't going to see the new episode, I lied.

Obi is a pretty cool dude at least.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The low amounts of drama in this show make it so relaxing to watch, which is a perfect way to wind down the day with.

Except for the oddly high-tension action scenes, but those can stay.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Everything Burrito posted:

Zen is very cute in this episode :3:

That's good to hear. :3: I think Zen is one of the better princely dudes out there because of his reactions.

Unfortunately I'm busy today, so I'll have to catch the episode later. Makes for some good end-of-the-day watching though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
well, seeya
/

Wow, Izaria's a real jerk! I think the voice acting amplified that by ten times from the manga. Also yay, useless-prince Raj made another appearance. I can't help but like him due to his facial expressions.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

When this show decides to have some violence it doesn't gently caress around. :stare:

BONES using its experience from BBB and other shows, it seems.

Alternative answer: shoujo is intense.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Cake Attack posted:

they kissed!

:neckbeard:

Puts it way above all sorts of other anime

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
For real, the anime is making me like Shirayuki and Zen's romance a lot more.

In the manga their development felt more slow paced and not as... interesting? Probably because of the monthly releases and meandering. Good adaption!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Zen is such a dork :3: I liked his whole dialogue with Mitsuhide and how he was barely keeping himself together haha.

Obi's also a very good wingman in his own way! Sometimes I find myself getting surprised at how good of a character he is compared to his introduction, though I guess it helps because he hangs around Shirayuki all the time.

Anyway, very cute episode! Does anyone know for sure about the split cour status of this show? It'd be a shame if it ended around here.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Well at least one show this season had a good last episode.

Yeah, I'm okay with this! Looking forward to the continuation in January. :)

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Sources say January 5th, 2016. Apparently it's adapting some of the extra side chapters with Kiki and Mitsuhide too, so that'll be nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Hyped for the new season! I hope we get more of Kiki and Mitsuhide this time around.

• Locked thread