Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

So, posting comics.

I've been following Never Satisfied since it was earlier linked to in this thread, and I love this page.

Look at that goddamn echidna. What a majestic bastard.

Also, a lesson in lovely mothers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

^^^ You know, I actually didn't notice that the one redhead was a chick until I saw someone in the comments section mention it. Normally this is a problem I only have with anime.

Same. I remember watching an anime (I can't remember the name, it wasn't spectacular anyway) three episodes in and only realized the two lead men were not the same person until they held a conversation in the same room. It blew my goddamn mind.

Anyway, does anyone know if Megg, Mogg, and Owl is updating? It's been a really long time since I've seen a new one posted.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

mycot posted:

Hey I found it.

This is brilliant. I refuse to believe it isn't intentional.

It's no secret that manga & anime are plagued with same-face to the point that it's considered "part of the style", and by drawing the characters slightly more detailed it points out how absurd that concept is.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

i think that she has simplified character design on purpose, so that she can poo poo out a billion comics every week

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pick posted:

I also think they tend to borrow too heavily specifically from racism. I have a number of friends who are disabled and disfigured, and their experience in public is very particular and I would imagine applicable to writing a story where differences in appearance are key. For example, I remember going to the state fair with a friend with one arm who wasn't wearing her prosthetic, and a child just pointed at her and broke down and cried. There was no ill-will from anyone involved, no one was "denying" anything to anyone else per se, but drat that was not great.

Jackard posted:

Whoa now don't be giving away those Bunny Meat scripts

Noted.

Also:

The contributor is a Philippino guy who sent me a shitton of stories, all involving his hosed-up mother. I had to leave a couple out of the queue due to the sheer amount of violence involved. I think he's also schizophrenic but he has yet to confirm this. Expect to see his name come up a lot.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Hey.
Guess what time it is?
Time to ruin your Easter.
I'm so sorry.

http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/24

Just posting a link and not uploading a comic. This one's kinda gross.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Oh no it's that thing: http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/25/

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Oh yay it's that thing!

This one reminded me that the last three comics were from the same person. I want this person to write an autobiography.

Good catch!

I have five more from that guy, and I'll be posting each of them in order. He originally sent 10 but I had to reject two of them for being too violent.

Nivose is from the Philippines and his mother is a diagnosed schizophrenic. I don't know much about how his life is now but he said this whole Bunny Meat process has been very therapeutic.

He drew some pictures for me:

That last picture stood out for me because I've already seen those flowers before in a painting I have on my living room wall:

This was given to me by a coworker who made it while receiving schizophrenia treatment as a teenager. He was doing great now with medication and family support and wanted to get rid of his old artwork because he found them upsetting.

Mental illness, man. It's a bitch.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

The image link doesn't work for me. Trying to go directly to its url gives me DeviantArt's 404 page. Could you rehost?

Sure thing.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Nooooooooooo: http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/26

Honestly though this one isn't so bad.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I dunno, given the last few it's still pretty uncomfortable, just in a different way.

My mother probably had BPD and she got like that sometimes. Not knowing what parent you're going to wake up to in the morning can mess you up bad.

Agreed. My adopted mom had NPD, and she was just a few steps in intensity shy from Chris Chan. Being little and responsible for maintaining the fragile ego of a grown woman fucks you up for life.

We have four more from Nivose to go before it's back to our regularly scheduled random contributors.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

This one is actually the worst so far.

The typo in the last panel almost killed it for me, though.

Oops, fixed.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I'm on a roll these days: http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/27

Three more left in the Tale of Nivose.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Two more, added because they're connected, posted here because there's nothing ugly in the content.

I have links to the guy he's talking about on the main page. Very interesting person.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Neophyte posted:

None of this is showing up for me? Cleared my cache and everything. Main page only shows comic 27 and no commentary or links.

Did bunny schizo mom find Plethora? :ohdear:

Yyyyyeah... Nivose asked me to take them down because the relative they talked about has a wife and family who wouldn't appreciate having his suicide talked about in a bunny comic. I would have liked if he told me his ahead of time so I wouldn't have drawn the drat thing.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

You could have put a fake name for the relative. (Like I don't imagine Nivose was actually christened after a month from the French revolutionary calendar.) Or no name at all, just squiggles on the book.

Good point. I'll talk to him about just changing the name and reposting them. He was crazy upset earlier but hopefully he's okay to talk now.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Probably shouldn't have told you to make a comic about something he didn't want in a comic, but he is schizophrenic so what can you do.

True. He was all cool with it until about three days after they were finished and uploaded. I just now got is OK to change the book title and such.

Anyway, here are the updated versions:

One more from Nivose to go and it's back to our regularly schedules traumas.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New Bunny Meat!

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Last of the Nivose saga. It ends on a positive note, at least.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New Bunny Meat!!

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Was there ever some incident that led to the kiddie-habitrails going away, or did they just go out of style as operators got fed up of cleaning piss out of them?

Good question. I loved the hell out of them as a kid.

I remember a former McDonalds employee telling me that stoners kept sneaking in at night to gently caress in the tubes might have lead to it. Something about boning in a claustrophobic, neon-colored space plus the acoustics while high was a once in a lifetime experience.

I'm going to assume the real cause for the death of the tiny-human-habitrail was some nanny state bullshit.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I'm sorry.
http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/33

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New one's up: http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/

I'm gradually inching back to the dark stuff. I wanted there to be a break after Nivose's stories with a few comedic ones. I have one hell of a story to add but I'm kinda scared it will break the series, all "jump the shark" style, so I'm building up to it.

I'm going to be submitting Bunny Meat to Hiveworks tomorrow in hopes of getting it hosted there. I already submitted Serious Engineering to it several weeks ago, which has a much higher chance of getting picked since it has an ongoing story and is much longer. Having Bunny Meat hosted there too would be awesome. So, here's hoping!

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 30, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Carrasco posted:

You should use this exact sentence everywhere you talk about this comic, because I think your core audience is "people who stop to look at car crashes" and that's definitely going to pique their interest.

Put another way, I would describe Bunny Meat's genre as "disaster", and promising a disaster so disastrous it may turn the comic itself into a disaster is going to grab the morbid curiosity reins they've already bit on, add several more and then yank on all of them really hard*.

Or even if none of that makes sense, creativity is an inherently audacious and risky exercise, and you've already taken that and run with it by going with the premise "varying degrees of childhood trauma as interpreted in bunny form". So just go all in, no regrets! One way or another, your comic will be remembered for it. The worst case scenario, really, is "can you believe the person who did Serious Engineering also did that?"

*I assume this is how equestrianism works

Thank you. You're awesome.

Jackard posted:

I think these are always better if you don't let the guy explain himself at the end.

Agreed. I stopped adding the 'epilogues' unless they reveal something directly related to the creepy part. Otherwise they come across as pretentious pandering. It's tough because I do my best to keep the exact words and phrasing as possible and it feels weird to leave anything out or change something. It feels unauthentic that way. But, yeah, there needs to be a standard set.

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 31, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Well that was weird.

Sooth your rustled jimmies with a comic about dumb kids: http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/35

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Oh nooooo http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/36
In this adventure, Usa meets a lovely gym teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Yay a new one yaaaaaaay http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/37

• Locked thread