Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Targ rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fritz posted:

oh god no :(

It sucks rear end and she had implied she probably wont re-host it, so please post any archives you find here.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 21, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can understand not wanting to be remembered as "fort thunder lite" but monster killers was really funny and I'll miss it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zodar posted:

It was a formative work, for me, and I reread it about once a year for the last few years. It helped me get over a lot of my hangups about perfectionism in my art, and to just make poo poo instead of endlessly honing and perfecting projects I would never finish. I think the best way to fill the space it left is not to scrounge for pieces of it, but to create something new

Agreedo

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you dorks seen a cartoon before

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wiegieman posted:

Because it's really edgy and trendy to hate a popular webcomic that's mostly popular because it updates a lot, when people should really just chill the gently caress out and read what they actually like.

Do you chalk up every instance of ambient negativity to it being trendy?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand Brittain posted:

Erfworld is really good, though.

Honestly, Megatokyo is also pretty good; it just updates so rarely it's hard to remember it still exists. It's kind of like Dresden Codak except that its continued existence as a business elicits emotions like "pity" and "confusion" instead of "rage" and "irritation."

What the gently caress's the deal with Megatokyo. My only experience with it is a HS ex who spoke about it with that weird anime-person passion.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NorgLyle posted:

That is, in effect, the full Megatokyo experience. Part of the deal was that when it started the full manga force and anime wave hadn't crashed over the shores of America; Barmes and Noble at the time didn't have a gigantic manga wall and people were still seriously fan subbing shows from Japan. Megatokyo gave the experience of reading a "real" manga to starving pre-otaku and has capitalized on that for years.

I always assumed it was that specific brand of alienated early 2000's weeb thing.

Is it a creepy and stupid in an Elfen Lied way or creepy and stupid in a Chobits way?

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 17, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of manga knockoffs , Monster Pulse is probably one of the best on the net right now. A lot of the time I like it more than it's influences.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What were the jokes like

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry for turning this thread into the Megatokyo memorial but it's super interesting to me because I knew many people in the 2000-2007 period who were SO into it. It's like a time capsule of a certain American otaku identity. Like, even the creator drama.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
+ I'm not going to read that weird penciled crap

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vxskud posted:

So I recently discovered that Pastel Defender Heliotrope is still online, some older goons may be familiar with this comic and its special place in Internet history others may have just repressed the memory or have no idea what it even is.

So here's your chance to appreciate the gold standard of webcomic crazy

http://pasteldefender.com/cover.html

It rules

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

the proliferation of ironic/semi-ironic/unironic "waifu" chat throughout the internet has destroyed discourse about media

I always take it as loser 4chan posters outing themselves.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems like a weird defense of 4chan

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JDR rules and I really wish there were more webcomics out there by people with world views as strange as hers.

It almost reminds me of Kazuo Umezu's work. Things vacillate back and forth from cute to grotesque and horrific so frequently it takes on a really queasy psychotic tone.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qntm posted:

Pastel Defender Heliotrope? Ludicrous?

That's loving badass

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite part of JDR art is how stuff is drawn kind of isometrically, but with enough errors in perspective to make you dizzy.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's a lot of the good ones

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's fake

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How so

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I still don't like them. For one, it ruins any chance of surprising anybody with a sudden twist in the narrative, depending on what you're attempting to do (content warnings are generally vague enough for this to be a non-issue, but trigger warnings tend to be about really specific things). For another, it's patronizing to the audience, as I said. It's like bowling with bumpers on, smoothing out the sharp edges of a table, that sort of thing. If you are not mature enough to handle adult content in a work of fiction, that's your trouble. I feel like giving kids an excuse to "opt-out" of reading stories based solely upon what content may appear within that story, it's sort of...devaluing literature and storytelling over the reader's individual feelings. How do you challenge your audience if you pull your punches? If somebody is really upset by depictions of racial injustice, should they be exempt from reading To Kill a Mockingbird? Do we need to tell people before a staging of Oedipus that this story contains self-mutilation, thus kicking the legs out of the shocking ending?

And for what? What is the benefit? Surely the people most likely to actually need a trigger warning are of an exceedingly small segment of the population, and would have their own accomodations towards the consumption of media that may trigger them.

What a moron

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

Afterdead is getting a print collection soon. Catch up if you've fallen behind.

What's this, it's cool

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

Donna Barr's followup to longrunning series Stinz and Desert Peach, and to a lesser extent Bosom Enemies and Hader & The Colonel.

For example, the two main guys in the post above are Stinz and the main character of Desert Peach, only the former is a living being in an alternate interpretation of his world, and the latter is a dead (but not zombie) cyborg in Hell.

oh my god I read some Desert Peach and it's all coming back to me. . .

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

If the thousands of pages of other comics aren't to your liking, I suggest jumping straight to Afterdead just for the pleasure of a world you could have had the tools to understand but skipped, so you're all like "Wait, why do camels become robots in Hell?" and it's like, hey, you're the one who didn't come to class.

Haha that kind of confusion is part of the draw for me for sure.

I was just at the new Detroit comic shop though and bought the first volume of The Desert Peach though, so I guess I've chosen another entry point into the weirdness.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can if your some sort of weird jerk

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's good, imo, but man I hope Al gets to have a nice day someday

sure know I wanna make out with people I'm categorically not sexually attracted to all the loving time

is this an actual argument you are putting forward, that 'no hetero bro' is a real and important thing that only this comic has the courage to address. yes indeed why isn't there a special word for wanting to play doctor with someone that emphasizes that you are definitely absolutely a priori on the other extreme of the Kinsey scale and it in no way implies you're one of those weirdos who can be attracted to multiple kinds of people

yaaaay

What are you talking about

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thats a good post picture to post IMO

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

All criticism is outrage. Any kind of posting other than "webcomics are good" is just too severe and gives me a case of the vapors I do declare.

It's easy to figure out who sucks by they way they frame that stuff

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chair In A Basket posted:

if media has bad things in it, then it must be because the creator of the media is bad and hopes those bad things happen/are real.

shun the creator and burn their works.

Lol you people are so wierd

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best magic is in Conan, where it's practice is a sign of evil and to be snuffed out

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People seem to like to make up things about SFP, or willfully misinterpret plot points, so they can safely bitch about SJW's or whatever

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is dope

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AriadneThread posted:

i don't have the confidence in their mental state to make that leap, i'm afraid

e: reading through the deletion arguments on the wikipedia page was amusing though, i'll grant

Many great artists have been totally insane, it's not really a qualifier

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get it!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They jealous that nobody cares about their various mental maladies

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blastron posted:

Did the artist formerly known as John Campbell ever say what they want people to call them, either in terms of pronoun or actual name? (other than, presumably, "a piece of trash") It feels kind of weird to be talking about a trans(?)person by their old name and a gender-neutral pronoun.

Female

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is a good combo:

http://picturesforsadchildren.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYeP8a_Y_0A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS