Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DekeThornton posted:

I haven't read Demon in a good while, but is there anything that indicates Shiga understands non autistic humans of any gender?

You could read Empire State.

Look, Demon is what it is - deliberately disgusting and silly and offensive and immature, and to me, still a lot of fun. It really annoys me when people try and psychoanalyse creators in this way. If you don't like the comic, don't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this isn't a mark against 'people' so much as a subscription system so profoundly loving dumb that doing this would work, to be fair

I think it's more an example of a system that has gotten bigger than the creators initially planned. It was always intended as something to let dedicated fans give money to creators they like, so I don't think they considered this behaviour at all.

Edit: Maybe you ultimately can't really stop bad actors that do stuff like this - even if you shut this down you'll have people uploading patron only things to file-sharing sites, etc. At least if you have them doing things this way, they'd be visiting the site regularly (instead of insert-piracy-site-here), it's more convenient for them to donate than not donate, and sometimes they'll forget to unsubscribe.

Not saying that changing things a bit won't improve things, but I don't think this is a huge error.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 12, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

While I’m in Angoulême I’m going to work on my most ambitious project to date. It will be another choose-your-own-adventure comic, likeMeanwhile, except that Meanwhile was only seventy pages, whereas this one is going to be five hundred pages. It’s going to be split into two books, and the two books will be joined together along a third spine. The pages of the book will be facing each other so that you can essentially open the book from the middle. It’ll use the same tab system that Meanwhile uses, except that in addition to tubes taking you to different pages, that is, different tabbed pages within one book, tubes will also cross the middle spine into the second book. The most exciting part is that when you’re reading one book, the pages in the book that you’re not reading can basically store states, meaning you could be reading the same panel in one book, but depending on the page that the other book is flipped to in the book that you’re not reading, the next panel in the sequence could be totally different. The long and short of it is the book you’re not reading will be able to store memory, almost like a computer. The story that you are reading will be able to access the memory in the other book and feed you sequences of panels depending on what’s in the memory.

:aaaaa:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

I don't think it's impossible to have racist characters or have a character say an ignorant/racist thing, though you have to do it carefully, but it has to come from a context where it's clear that the author isn't implicitly or explicitly condoning that perspective. I'm not convinced she's established that kind of credibility, considering concerns about her comic's world/setting which have already been mentioned. And there are still lingering odd feelings over Redtail's Dream, like the spiel from the main character about how it's okay to torture animals and the secondary character apparently thinking some sort of deep point was being made. Creators are separate from their creations, but especially when information about a creator is limited, people are going to be wary of certain content for sure.

Oh, come the gently caress on, the joke in this entire page is basically that these characters are entirely ignorant of Chinese and indeed much of the outside world. I don't know what perspective you think the author is condoning here.

And yeah I'd but it down on a cultural difference. It's an unfortunate wording for an US audience which the author has wisely toned down, but not everywhere is America and it's pretty clear nothing was meant by it other than 'Emil is an idiot and Mikkel is not'.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 23, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Stand Still Stay Silent:

Welp.

I'm really happy that Sundberg isn't chickening out with this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I wonder, since she is the only one that can meaningfully communicate with their scout, does that mean the group will try to keep her alive for as long as possible? I forget how far away they are from their pickup.

Gosh, that is a mighty clusterfuck. I guess Reynir can communicate with Lalli in dreams though. I suspect this is going to end with them trying the serum though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Today's Stand Still, Stay Silent belongs in a very sad art gallery.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Please clarify what you mean by 'without anything happening' and 'pointlessness', hopefully not in such an annoying way.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 30, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Criticising QC is boring as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

In general. I guess when an author writes about a little boy and a little girl they don't feel the need to go out of their way to point out IT'S NOT JUST FRIENDSHIP IT'S ALSO SEXUAL ATTRACTION.

It's a crush, kids have crushes.

• Locked thread