Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Let's Speak English needs to be in the OP because it is a lovely weekly web comic about teaching English to small children in Japan.

E: this is also my suggested link whenever the thread gets bogged down talking about something unpleasant and everybody needs to talk about something else instead.

qntm fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

khy posted:

SO many good webcomics out there that make a strong start, then peter out into nothingness. It's so depressing.

That's why when I ran my webcomic I started as I meant to go on, with stickmen. It finished with stickmen, and dang it it actually finished, too.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Demon is just so dumb but I feel
like it would make an absolutely bonkers movie.

I feel like the death-switching mechanic could have some mileage in the form of a videogame.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Bird And Moon is a lovely web comic about nature which I don't think has been mentioned yet. It doesn't update very often but it's full of instant classics like this one about turkey vultures.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
ITUNES TERMS AND CONDITIONS: The Graphic Novel

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jackard posted:

why does this dude stick his peoples in the same side of every single panel

Erm, the 180-degree rule?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i mean, I'm not gonna read that thing cause it looks like it sucks regardless, but if you're gonna throw out hundreds of single-panel pages of five-minute art people gotta work through at least have your back and forward arrows in the same place on every page, so people can click on through without hunting for it

Or support arrow key navigation. It's like two lines of JavaScript.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
This is your decennial reminder that the web comic Help Desk is still going.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Well, it's pretty intense stuff.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

You say that like it's a lot.

But I've lived through Homestuck. :fireman:

e/ I seriously can't remember what's going on in that anymore, and my enthusiasm is long dead. I'm still eager for it to wrap up though because I really want to see the final (actual and adjusted) word count.

Homestuck still isn't done?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Android Blues posted:

I'm now at the part in Pastel Defender Heliotrope where a Hitler loving slime monster who is also Jesus reunites with the evil scientist whose enslaved nanny she was decades before. This is completely ludicrous.

Pastel Defender Heliotrope? Ludicrous?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

I still lose it every time I remember that it rings up as a bag of Doritos.

I didn't know this, and I would be curious to know what else there is about this book which I don't know.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Any week now Let's Speak English is going to start a Kickstarter, which may be the first Kickstarter I contribute to just because I want that book to be made, even though I don't actually want to possess the book myself.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, was that confirmed as a thing that's happening?

It's most recently mentioned under this comic from June, so, last I heard, yes. Unless the plan has changed.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Homestuck has a boatload of excellent music attached to it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It is something that could only exist on the Internet, which is novel in and of itself. It blurs the lines of medium and genre almost effortlessly.

Yeah, absolutely this as well. MSPA overall feels to me like the canonical web comic, the kind of creative work which Scott McCloud was trying and failing to invent from first principles in the 2000s. Honestly, I was actually a little dismayed when the very final installment of Homestuck was "just" an anime video, because it felt to me as if the comic was kowtowing to a completely different medium, when it had accomplished so much in its own original space.

I also have much sympathy for a creator failing to meet unmanageably huge expectations.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I enjoyed Fleep a great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Thirding that sentiment. I have much respect for a web comic ending on its own terms instead of petering out over the course of years, all front page with a news post from three years ago saying "We're finally back and updating regularly again!"

• Locked thread