Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wow, that's huge! Congratulations!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

KellHound posted:

Thanks. Right now I'm mostly pumped to move on to other things. Like I have a few pitches I'm working on and half written scripts that need finishing.

One of my best friends (jakface) did the art for the tabasco fish woman story in your recent anthology, the book came out beautifully so congratulations on that too by the way!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Thank you for donating to Harkovast!
You're support is greatly appreciate.
The comic costs money to make and run so any donation is both a boost to my moral and a big help.

Thanks again!

Hark.

:3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trigger warnings are helpful in some situations and if we trust artists then we need to let them experiment with what works in this sense.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lighten up, he hasn't done anything wrong and he's producing creative content. Let him grow and develop, he's always getting better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Says chocobo avatar man on the internet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Growing up" can also include developing a knowledge or yourself and what is and isn't right for you at a certain time. Content warnings can help people manage that. Or heck, maybe they are just "sensitive", but I've never seen a sensitive person actually be effectively "toughened up" by including an unannounced rape scene in Hamtaro or whatever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wasn't reading that comic right now anyway, but one of my friends recently committed suicide and I'm genuinely not interested in suicide content right now. I didn't avoid her funeral or talking about my feelings, but I don't really want to read fiction starring it as a plot point yet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah everyone's so loving triggered by death now. Oh wait, people used to wear mourning clothes for years and now they just try to find their cleanest Teefury dr who shirt for the service.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, let me tell you dude, you're going to regret the time you spent trying to be a "technically correct" edgelord. Once you develop empathy and realize it yields genuine friendships, you're going to see that kind of posturing for the fool's errand it was.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

On pokemon chat, I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that the newest antagonist in Badnix is literally missingno.

And in Cucumber Quest, in a way, it seems.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Willis seems like a really nice guy who is making creative content people enjoy, conscientiously.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I once told Willis about attending a gay Transformers slash fiction lecture at a yaoi con. That's the limit of our relationship, I.e. less than that of Megatron and Starscream (as I'm told).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like the idea that Willis does this for the sweet mad webcomics money.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Afterdead is getting a print collection soon. Catch up if you've fallen behind.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You know after non-nobis-domine's Nazys and ybrids, this is downright wholesome.

Donna Barr is the only person I know who can make comics that run the gamut of no-nos and still have them feel fun and good. That's my opinion of her stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What's this, it's cool

Donna Barr's followup to longrunning series Stinz and Desert Peach, and to a lesser extent Bosom Enemies and Hader & The Colonel.

For example, the two main guys in the post above are Stinz and the main character of Desert Peach, only the former is a living being in an alternate interpretation of his world, and the latter is a dead (but not zombie) cyborg in Hell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

oh my god I read some Desert Peach and it's all coming back to me. . .

If the thousands of pages of other comics aren't to your liking, I suggest jumping straight to Afterdead just for the pleasure of a world you could have had the tools to understand but skipped, so you're all like "Wait, why do camels become robots in Hell?" and it's like, hey, you're the one who didn't come to class.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah like, this is a whole complicated thing, it's okay for a creator to have an opinion on it that you don't share. That doesn't mean they should stop making that thing. It's not even possible to produce work that touches of these issues that everyone can agree on, these issues are being explored.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

I think there's definitely a certain breed of slightly-too-cruel critic who hates on partial failures because they're paralysingly afraid of making mistakes themselves, therefore don't create, and so seeing someone trying their imperfect best holds an unflattering mirror up to that. That's probably not the whole story about people who harangue less-than-perfect webcomics, but I think it's the case for some of them.

Theodore Roosevelt posted:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Yet again, Theodore Roosevelt proves that he has forgotten more about webcomics than I will ever know.

I would read a webcomic by Theodore Roosevelt. He looks like he was even practicing!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

My favourite things about the SBAHJ book was them having to constantly reassure the publishers that they meant to do it like that.

It's my favorite piece of print media ever

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Poison Mushroom posted:

I still lose it every time I remember that it rings up as a bag of Doritos.

It's the ribbon that does it for me, every loving time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm a fan of the coffee mug stain on the cover.

Spine with the wrong title is also a winner

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ofaloaf posted:

My headcanon is that the rest of the world is doing just fine and they've all just been steering clear of Scandinavia because they're awkward racists and they're the last place with the weird troll plague thing.

I don't think it's impossible to have racist characters or have a character say an ignorant/racist thing, though you have to do it carefully, but it has to come from a context where it's clear that the author isn't implicitly or explicitly condoning that perspective. I'm not convinced she's established that kind of credibility, considering concerns about her comic's world/setting which have already been mentioned. And there are still lingering odd feelings over Redtail's Dream, like the spiel from the main character about how it's okay to torture animals and the secondary character apparently thinking some sort of deep point was being made. Creators are separate from their creations, but especially when information about a creator is limited, people are going to be wary of certain content for sure.

Pick fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 23, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My point was more "you should be careful with jokes about racial stereotypes when your comic is about a world where only whites survived".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd agree, if this were the only context in which someone cared about racism. Hopefully they care about racism here because they also care about racism elsewhere, and it's being expressed here in the context of webcomics because this is the thread about webcomics.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I felt kinda the same way about the protagonist in her last thing where like Pitch mentioned he's blatantly some kind of sociopath who likes torturing small animals and is universally regarded with alarm by everyone, but the narrative just kinda shrugs it off and Minna herself kept talking like those were all just little quirks and the whole joke wasn't that the magical woodland animal fairytale accidentally roped a loving psycho into its protagonist role so who the hell knows, just roll with the version that makes for a better story to you. Islam is the rash disease and the only cure is withdrawing from the EU

Let me be clear, I don't think all stories should be morality tales. In fact, my favorite stories are usually just very interesting dilemmas with no clear answers, which are then left for the reader to puzzle over (Cucumber Quest is doing that brilliantly at the moment, and Cheap Thrills always did it well). So it's not that I minded that the main character of ARD was a psychopath, it's that it didn't feel like that ever mattered or had a substantive effect on anything. It almost felt like the writer didn't particularly care, and that's a bizarre feeling considering how easily the narrative could have framed things in a more thought-provoking way. At the end, even, when the dog guy just continues being loyal, it didn't really gel as any kind of thematic point. It does come close to "what do you do when your hero's journey materializes around a person who is a danger to those around him" except, it never seems to particularly go there, or have anything to communicate in that respect. I've read it a few times, since I have it in print form, and beyond the literal interpretation I just don't know what it's about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think the important "rules" to have in place are the effects you will let magic have on your story, not on specific events per se. For example instead of having an unstated "rule" that magic cannot affect... wood or whatever, you might say hey, magic cannot be used in a way that it removes the credibility of sacrifices made by the characters.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
too soon

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i mean if you don't see humans as different from animals on some fundamental, instinctive level, you've got severe cognitive disabilities that probably bar you from being able to understand or enjoy character-driven stories in the first place.

whatever Noam Chomsky

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Contemporary species are always equally evolved, the most fitting term you're looking for is more or less derived. That is, possessing more or fewer derived characteristics (a product of evolutionary change).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

No, korean webcomics just have massive borders for some reason.

they learned it from the DMZ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My favorite take on fascism in the superhero comic genre from a mainstream series was The Authority, which did a pretty good job showing a bunch of aloof and disaffected jerks loving things up under the assumption that they know best. Much like my favorite video game, Dragon age 2, I am not sure how much it was intentional on the part of the writers. It's all quite dated now of course, I quit long before they went full Armageddon edgy town

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pavlov posted:

I'm still hoping the bittersweet candy bowl author will finish that comic some day, so she can make something that isn't about the cat-people she invented at 7.

I love her diary comics. I'm really tired of her cats.

Taeshi is great and BCB is a ton of fun, but yeah she's winding it down. I'll read whatever comes next!

By the way, their books are totally beautiful. The hardcovers are class all over.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't understand the rush to predict that someone is going to gently caress up. What's wrong with waiting for them to gently caress up? Then if they don't gently caress up it's fine. If they do gently caress up then you can point it out when they do.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hey John Campbell, I donate $100 a month to children in need in impoverished countries. That amount of money would not be able to support you, but it can support them. Why don't you go write a book about it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hogge Wild posted:

you're such a good person

I'm just tired of Campbell trying to "trick" us into proving that we're all bad people despite overwhelmingly (and in my case personally) informing them that we'd rather they were healthy than that we have our books or whatever. Their performance art seems entirely oriented around the idea of "proving" that the world is poo poo, and that we're all poo poo, despite the outpouring of support from around the globe. At this point it's abusive. My decision not to further support Campbell doesn't mean I'm plugged into capitalism, suffocating in my own self-interest. It's that what they're trying to accomplish is tacky and cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I bought it in print along with some of the extras like development work. I'm still not sure how he can do it. My first thought upon seeing that page was, jeez, that's way too much detail you'll never be able to keep it up. Then I saw it was JY and I was like, never mind! Actually, it was the thumbnails for panel compositions which were my favorite part. He has a really good eye for it.

Got to say I'm not particularly keen on the content, but I felt the same way about Redtail's Dream and I bought that too :shrug:.

• Locked thread