Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Here's a good writer's tip. Just write down whatever the invisible greco-thracian ghost babes tell you to write. Humans are empty vessels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anti-magic posted:

Well there are no good webcomics so this is the tedious thread.

Lookout. This guy thinks he is better than comics on the Internet. Thanks for your cool post dude. Maybe you can enjoy some giant media conglomerate approved entertainment. I heard of this cool thing called "Star Wars" might be up your alley, friend.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A.o.D. posted:

What do people do, exactly, when they go on hiatus for 3 months around December?

Social, Family, and Work Obligations are sort of through the roof around that time of year... so it can be pretty tough to keep up with all of that if you're a single human being putting out work, instead of like, an entire business or something, with the ability to spread out workloads, etc. That's my serious answer.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Carrasco posted:

I've been meaning to gush about Widdershins' latest chapter for months, and now that we're posting images I think I'll just show why:

That's from before the adventure proper even starts. Until then, it's this incredible warm (not to the point of saccharine) family gathering, full of people happy to see each other, distant relatives being introduced, snippets of stories being told and food being shared.

After that, it's the best Romancing the Stone-type plot I've ever seen. It's a really sweet and organic romance, and, for once, the bookish scholar doesn't have to muss up her hair or lose her glasses or anything to participate in the action. Not to mention the villains, who are incredible--a super-hammy musclebound French noblewoman, a wizard talented enough to teleport but who just wants to take a nap, and the mastermind who manages to flirt our hero to a standstill. It's just a delight to read from start to finish, and while it ties together a lot of long-standing plot threads it also stands quite well on its own, being essentially a prequel to the series so far.

Anyway, yeah. Read Widdershins and be filled with emotions and magic!

Tollymain posted:

if we're going to post ghost busters i'm going to have to bring up A Ghost Story

which is about a pair of not-really-legal ghost hunting losers and also their best friend lucy who is not pictured below

These are extremely amazing comics human beings should read to be cool.

I do kinda wish people could do a read-through 'book club' style chat of comics instead of just randomly posting whatevers... but I realize that might be a huge ask. I think it'd be a cool idea though.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is talk of how she's not a "friend of Narnia" anymore. I don't think it's out of place to criticize Lewis on this one.

I thought the whole point was that Narnia was just some British WW2 children playing pretend, and she grew up and stop wanting to play pretend? but I guess fundamentalists of a certain age like quoting Lewis or whatever.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah, it's a bit silly to mix those too

but i think that she has simplified character design on purpose, so that she can poo poo out a billion comics every week

I will kill you with your own katana for this post, hog wilde. That's right, the katana your mother never wanted you to have...

But seriously, the fact that SSSS is basically a daily with that quality of art is beyond impressive.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hogge Wild posted:

if webcomic writers were actually talented they wouldn't be writing webcomics

mate if you had talent you wouldn't be posting. but seriously.. c'mon dude why do you even post this? what should web comic creators be doing instead? making print comics? like what is your metric for talent? How much money a person makes? Those marvel movies are the pinnacle of human creativity.

It's ok to enjoy things, like yeah there is some crap out there, but like why don't you take some stock in what you are doing with yourself. it's ok to admit there are some pretty neat comics out there, but beyond that earnestly trying to create a comic is pretty hard and puts you in a very vulnerable position. do you need a hug? or have you had bad friends your whole life?

come with me SA poster Hog Wilde... and find a thing to enjoy on the Internet :ghost:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Homestuck fans aren't some kind of ageless biological tube-monster community subsisting around a deep sea hydro-thermal vent. They're human beings who like all sorts of things, and one of the things they happen to like is homestuck, which they posted about on the world wide web. Many grew up, moved on, or remember it fondly and enjoyed seeing it through.

I'm not a homestuck fan, and I sorta missed the boat on it, but it's kinda easy to see how people had a fun time enjoying a thing on the internet that they could relate to and they felt like it resonated with them. Sure, there's definitely a dark side to 'fan communities', but it's even more frightening to remember they are probably mostly real human beings.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

actually, this is incorrect; they're the first thing

All I can imagine is you having diner with a deep sea hydrothermal vent tube monster...you have a lovely dinner. you return home...things get romantic..then suddenly the hydrotermal vent tube monster peels off its its outer carapace to reveal a human face. A Wizard of Goatse screams in horror, hard cut to black.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

was that you

you never called

Listen Wizard of Goatse...dinner was great... but those anime wallscrolls in your bedroom? ....Not even a single Vash the Stampede... I'm sorry..that's a 'hard no'.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lesbians? in a webcomic? What will they think of next :monocle:

You know, this doesn't seem like very brave attitude, Bravest Of The Lamps. I think this is a pretty obnoxious attitude to have. The fact that even queer comics writers have to deal with "uhg lesbians", seems like a problem, and you're not really helping.
Maybe fetishized portrayals of lesbians bother you, Bravest of Lamps, and it just came out wrong in your post. I hope that's what you meant, because Band vs. Band is cute as heck and actually really good. I think you should try to be a bit more thoughtful in your future posting, BravestOfTheLamps.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

a bloody icon posted:

e: don't yell at lamps, I love lamps

I'm more of a lantern person, but I recognize that lamps are very important to our civilization.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

As someone who isn't familiar with Lamp-kun's posting career, I guess my concern is that I've seen that attitude a lot, unironically, which might be the joke..but without knowing that, it just kind of comes off as a bad thing to say, because people could read it seriously. Anyway, that's my un-requested critique on Lamp's troll. Now, what are the rates on trolling commissions?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They are not helpful to me and I do not think they are helpful in general. If anything, they seem to be suggesting to trauma victims that they should not ever be expected to be come to terms with whatever bad thing happened to them. I think most everybody will or has encountered trauma in their lives, from a car crash to violent battery, assault or the tragic loss of a loved one. Tragedy is an integral element to human drama. I think it's also more than a little disrespectful to, say, veterans of war who suffer from PTSD episodes "triggered" by things like car engines or sudden loud noises. How did we function as a society before trigger warnings?

Your example is patently ridiculous, but having a sudden mood shift in children's entertainment isn't unusual. Don Bluth made a whole career over having sad and tragic things happen in kids stories, that people say "scarred them for life" as a joking hyperbole, but in actuality formed profound life lessons that they remember unto their adulthood. Content warnings are not the same as trigger warnings, either in execution or in intention. Content warnings serve as a casual "at-a-glance" service for consumers to determine whether a piece of entertainment is appropriate for children or adults. It's only come to lately that some people find it so troublesome to encounter subject matter they are not comfortable with that they feel they require a warning before they consume a piece of media, equivocating their discomfort to actual PTSD. If you are going to watch adult media, then you should be prepared to encounter adult content, either violence or sex or assault or tragedy. Insisting that everything with even remotely troubling content come with a specific warning label is silly.

Have you ever experienced anything truly awful in your life?

None of this is hurting you, at all, but you're throwing a fit because other people have been hurt and are incapable of coping with things in a way you deem okay. This doesn't seem like a very grown up attitude to me.

I think it's easy to fabricate mental strawmen and get really upset at the made up (or even sometimes real) people who might be disingenuously demanding trigger warnings out of some sort of unhinged fascism, but it's neither true nor helpful. I think it's respectful to readers to let them know what they're getting into, if the creator feels it's important. Webcomics are pretty small, and can be all over the place, it's not like Game of Thrones, where people 'should know what they're getting into' at some point.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I explained the distinction--content warnings are very very vague, trigger warnings are much more specific. I've talked to a nurse friend of mine and she agrees that trigger warnings could be useful, but says that it's absolutely impossible to warn everyone about every conceivable threat to their psyche. You can't insulate everyone from everything.

Welp. We can't insulate everyone from everything, so lets just pack it up. Might as well have no laws then, or anything. Glad we solved this. Thanks for your insightful input 8 Bit Scholar, this is extremely useful. I mean, I can't believe people wear clothes, and sit inside, what absolute pissbabies, am I right? Oh your mortal flesh prevents you from walking around all day nude in the elements? Cats can do it, and they can't even make satellites. Problem solved. Lets just go back to lawless murder.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

OPM's original art is atrocious and it's still fun as heck. I'd argue even the writing is pretty poor. Who cares though, a funny bald dude is strong and it's a fun time.

It's OK to just enjoy things, sometimes. I don't really understand why people hold webcomics to this crazy standard when you can take a glimpse at professional, paid, media that can be just as error riddled, or often worse: (TOEI animation, a lot of crummy looking Marvel/DC comics etc)

I can guarantee most people making webomics are trying their best, which seems to be threatening to a certain type of person on the internet. It can honestly get really intimidating when you see a bunch of people reaching really hard to hate on something.

Sure, I get that some people take crit poorly, I understand that some things are outright bad or harmful, and I get some people just wanna sit around and joke with their buds.... but sometimes it seems to get downright frightening. That's my perspective on it, at least. :ohdear:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Android Blues posted:

I think there's definitely a certain breed of slightly-too-cruel critic who hates on partial failures because they're paralysingly afraid of making mistakes themselves, therefore don't create, and so seeing someone trying their imperfect best holds an unflattering mirror up to that. That's probably not the whole story about people who harangue less-than-perfect webcomics, but I think it's the case for some of them.

Yeah, and from the creator point of view, no matter how well adjusted, zen-like, and aware you are, you are still putting yourself in a pretty vulnerable place, by making something. It can still be really hurtful to see people mock something you've put your heart into. This doesn't mean things are above criticism, but we're not usually talking about people who can go sob on there giant piles of money here....

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hi. I make Astral Aves, and you guys have given me some pretty helpful crit. Recently, life has gotten in the way of a regular update schedule...but I am glad some people are still reading. I realize I've been focusing on improving my art over my writing, but I hope things will pay off soon. Thanks for reading, and I will definitely try my best to give you the best story I can. If anyone has any questions or comments, I'll do my best to answer them.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

newspaper spiderman is the best spiderman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

so, honest question:

is it kinda cool someone is doing something different, and the thing still persists? I get that like, change equals loss, and it's natural to lament that loss... but I know a lot of people in this thread posted "woah poppy" a lot... is this a new manifestation of "woah poppy"? I think maybe a transformation may be more exciting than a loss... I hope my weird words make some sense!

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Thanks!

• Locked thread