Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

khy posted:

I definitely think it has one of the better 'invincible/invulnerable' character portrayals I've seen. I mean, if you're absolutely 100% invincible why WOULDN'T you block swords with your eyeballs just to freak people the gently caress out?

It would be cool.......if Superman hadn't done that like ten years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Just Offscreen posted:

ftfy

...jesus superman has been around a long time.

And they STILL haven't let him kill batman yet

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The earlier Octopus pie comics are really better, because the more constrained art fit the scale if storytelling.

It's expanded visually but this has ended up underlining the least interesting parts of the comic.

Also, it's really... American? In that almost solipsistic way that David Foster Wallace's writing is American. As a Euro, its nearly suffocating.

I dunno, I don't think octopus pie would be quite as good if it was about a group of middle aged bald people who all live in a flat across the street from a fish cannery.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Does the stay silent comic seem a little visually cluttered to anyone else? The art is all very nicely rendered and thought out but something about it seems like it's working against a certain clarity of information that works well for comics, which ironically strikes me as a very "webcomics" thing to do. Also in terms of "race relations" it seems kind of silly to me that the speech bubbles sometimes have to indicate the different language these characters are speaking considering these countries are all like within five feet of each other.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Oxxidation posted:

These countries now have to maintain strict borders for the last hundred years due to an unending infestation of plague-raddled hellmonsters, so it's understandable that natives would cease to speak the lingo.

And as some of the interstitial pages have noted, for languages originating from nearly adjacent regions, some of them sound almost nothing alike.

I guess the application seems a little obtuse then. Can these characters understand each other, or are they constantly translating for each other? I can understand wanting to have complicated dynamics wherein not all of your characters fully understand each other, but it both seems like it would be a better fit for film and is also kind of hampered by the characters looking so similar and not having a really hugely different cultural or moral background. Five anglo-saxons walk into a bar, but they're all wearing different looking pants! That kind of thing.

E: Anglo-Saxons is probably the wrong word here but, y'know

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 23, 2016

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

DekeThornton posted:

It's not hard. No one understands Finnish, because it's some goddamned alien moon language with no relation to the language of honor and heroes (Swedish). All others speak Swedish with some form of dialect, Danish being the ugliest sounding one and Icelandic the least comprehensible.

That kind of thing has very diminishing returns the farther you get from the region it was created, at least in the slightly baffling way it's presented here.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Here's something funny! My Finnish friend, per tradition, pours his cereal in his bowl and pours his milk over it, while I, a swede, pour my milk first! But even two goofy guys like us can get along! In my webcomic about the apocalypse only aryans have survived the plague brought over to us by migrant Spaniards

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You should also print out the best PFSCs on some nice, archival paper, so we can remember what webcomics looked like before facebook bought and deleted all websites in 2036.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Leslie from Dumbing of Age is like, a terrible teacher, right? Am I wrong in thinking this?

• Locked thread