Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Let's use the Subnormality comic that's also four times as wide as normal and packs text in at either end, so you have to scroll the screen back and forth. That is a good idea that I can't possibly see backfiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

To all those who doubted Demon, I ask, "Who's loving whom, now!?" :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oxxidation posted:

I mean, that giant boar that wrecked the place up got big because it was fed something "unnatural." And Valente showed up because he got a tipoff from some weird monk who giggles all the time. And I wonder where that weird hand got off to?

Oh my loving god, are you serious? :suspense:

I never would have noticed that in a million years, Morbi you are incredible!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I used to really enjoy Unlife, but something about the latest arc has just turned me off hardcore. I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe something about the downward spiral of the protagonist making lovely decisions, reinforced by life just loving him over mercilessly, I'm not really able to adequately describe it... It's just not enjoyable for me to read anymore. :saddowns:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

chiefnewo posted:

Or are monthly updates, so you're guaranteed not to see more poppy before the next ice age.

FTFY :argh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Renaissance Robot posted:

Girl Genius: I have no idea what they're talking about.

FTFY.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Let's talk about a comic that's actually awesome:

Deathbulge is so good. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

In Sam and Fuzzy chat, so holy poo poo Sin was actually one of those gerbils all along?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Zeeman posted:

We've known for a while that Sin is a space gopher http://www.samandfuzzy.com/1030

I must have just completely misread that scene, because back when it was first in the comic I thought it was showing that Sin wasn't just one of the rodent mafia, he was actually something different and took umbrage at being called one. Whatever he was, he's a dead fucker now! Anyone wanna take odds on Brain hijacking his "Sin" persona to infiltrate the council?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh jesus christ, are you making GBS threads me? Until I read your post, I parsed that as "meatbag", but holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I like Allison's new lack of fucks. It's refreshing.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Renaissance Robot posted:

There's no wisdom here. Should I dig further down to find some?

I found wisdom by cobbling it together out of a wristwatch. I'm dropping my blueprints and an assortment of watches into the hole.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I don't get how Lily had hope for that dream at all. Possums can't use magic, and wasn't it spelled out in an earlier strip that the vast, vast majority of doctors practice magic medicine? To the point where it's actually incredibly hard to find one that can work on possums at all? I mean, yeah, she's a kid... but even still, I'm surprised that the thing that broke her hope was "You'll probably die before finishing doctor school" and not "You'll never even make it in doctor school to begin with, since you can't use almost any modern medical techniques."
Either way, it's still kind of depressing to see her dreams crushed like that. :negative:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I looked back through the Poppy Archives, and I see where my mistake stemmed from. For some reason, I thought Lily had wanted to be a doctor for a while now, I didn't realize that it was a spur-of-the-moment type thing from this page. I was thinking that her crushed aspirations were stemming out of some long-held dream of being a doctor, when it's actually like you said: the realization of how lovely life is for oppressed minorities.

One other thing the trip back through the archives reminded me of is just how much it sucks to be Lily, holy poo poo! When you start actively paying attention to her appearances, you realize that she really only gets major screen time in order to:

A) Screw things up then feel bad about it
or B) Be traumatized

Chapter 1, she gets tossed around by the enforcer. Chapter 2 and 3 she barely makes an appearance. Chapter 4 she not only gets to see her mom almost get killed in front of her, (And is then told that she's responsible by the villian!) but then she also almost ruins a concert and gets to feel bad about that too. Chapter 5, she finds out her friends hate her and society is rigged to prevent her from succeeding. Poor Lily!

Edit: Something else I 100% missed until my most recent read-through: Holy poo poo the evil monk that mutated the boar was actually Poda. :aaaaa: Since Silvana and Friedrich are keeping Kit out of the loop on whatever they're doing, I'm guessing that the strike on the temple was just a way of eliminating Canopy's supply of Dragon's Blood, so Poda and Mr. Hand Man can rope the queen into some kind of supply deal for whatever God's Blood is.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 12, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sam and Fuzzy points out the inherent issue in any organization or partnership where Mind Control is a possibility.

That's the loving problem, indeed.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

PleasingFungus posted:

There's no mind control involved, though.

I just meant in general. It's not technically mind-control, but it's still mind-whammy bullshit, and once that's entered play you can't ever really truly trust your allies again, because who knows if and when they're using it? I was just referencing the cliche of "Bad Guy owns mind-control ray, lieutenant realizes that they've been mind-controlled after seven episodes of unwavering loyalty."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Even better: The doc dies, killing radical in the process. Chuck arrives just as the final showdown concludes. While he's scratching his head wondering what the gently caress, little tattoo-hummingbirds flit down and put "MOST RAD!" on his hands. And thus, the circle is complete. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

What is going on with Schlock Mercenary? Did they lose the domain name?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'm guessing the twist is Hunter didn't suicide out of the female body, he waited a month and used the 33 day rule. (Whatever that is.) He doesn't realize Jimmy is inside his old body, as a fetus. (Because come on, at this point there's really no question that's where this is headed.)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Today's Whomp is so good, it took me three reads before I saw it. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

That explains why there was no issue with Hunter being in the wife's body, I never suspected the daughter would be the one who was pregnant.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Welp, I think we've finally found a page that eclipses cumknife.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Badlix has gone above and beyond for something that isn't even an april fools' day gag.

Oh my god they actually made it. :drat:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ehh, there's a difference between modern webcomics and back in the day. Even before patreon, before kickstarter, before cafepress and topatoco, there were the dark days when not even ads guaranteed a steady revenue stream because you were having to change services every few months when your last guy stiffed you on the money. Really, anyone who was in the business pre-facebook had their work cut out for them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh god(s)dammit, it's Banjo isn't it?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Gabriel Pope posted:

:agreed:

Every now and again Sluggy did some really cool things in between general silliness and outdated parodies.

I honestly really enjoyed the timeless space stuff, and I'd love to someday run a spelljammer game set there.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Excuse me, that's mistertique. :rolleye:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 22, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Asking "Did the author's fetish contribute to his laziness, or did the author's laziness mimic his fetish" is basically the worst version of "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Damnit, Morbi, if you're going to go on a short hiatus, don't leave us on a cliffhanger like that! :argh: :f5: :argh:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 24, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Kill Six Billion Demons is so loving good, you guys.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It's actually really fitting, because just like Alison I wasn't aware a KSBD thread even existed!

Does this mean that LiterallyKermit is going to challenge me to a drinking contest now?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

There's definitely a pelvis in there, but I can't say as to whether or not it also includes a spine. I think it's probably just the pelvic bone, though.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Nuns with Guns posted:

So reading the Monster Pulse updates has me wondering.... why hasn't Violet mind-wiped everyone in Shell?

Wasn't she working for them? I thought some of the nefarious things she did before being won over by the power of friendship were for Shell?

Also, three big reasons: 1. She would have to put herself in harms way to get close enough to mind-wipe everyone, plus 2. she would have to destroy all the computer evidence of herself before anyone figures out what she's done, because 3. if she didn't she would become target number one on their hit squad.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh jeez, I just thought of something. When a monster takes a body part, it replaces it with kind of a white, soft, rubbery substance, right? So, basically, her entire skeleton is pretty much cartilage?

Imagine her trying to eat :gonk:

I think in that situation, I would prove myself a coward who would desert a hungry woman.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 26, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

That, and camel-loving.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh goddammit that first one brought back bad memories of my childhood and made me cry. :negative:

Thkse are awesome thanks for the link.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Plethora, the problem is that you're trying to force the conversation you want. I can understand that it's frustrating when you want feedback and aren't getting it, and maybe even a little disheartening. But you can't just throw up a sockpuppet and go "Hey guys, check out this awesome comic from a smart handsome dude who's totally not me!" Whether or not you're being upfront about the author is a minor quibble, people get annoyed when you harp on something, because it's blatantly obvious you're just trying to get everyone to stop talking about what they're talking about, and start talking about you.

And it's a really good comic, so you don't really need to do that. Just be a little more patient and self-confident, and a little less pushy. :shobon:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

TwoPair posted:

The problem is that your comic doesn't feature enough demons to warrant discussion in this thread

I dunno, it seems chock-full of personal demons to me.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh christ, you posted it again, ohhhh nooo.

Ok, here's my childhood trauma that makes tears well up every time I see this comic. I was like, four years old, and we had kittens in the house. And they were adorable, and I loved playing with them, and it was a great time for everyone involved. One night I couldn't find one of the kittens. I looked, and looked, and finally found the naughty kitten hiding behind a chair. It was pooping! I scolded the kitten, "BAD KITTY!" and picked it up, and took it to the litter box. I set it in the litter box, and it just laid there. It just laid there, and did nothing. I finally went and got my mom. Turns out, the chair it was hiding behind? A rocking chair. The kitten had gotten squished, and that wasn't poop coming out it's butt, that was it's intestines. I think I probably cried for an entire day, after that, and my mom got rid of all the kittens because just seeing one made me cry again! It took me a few years after that to be able to handle kittens again, and even to this day I still remember that poor kitten, especially when I see something like this.

It's traumatic, but also kind of cathartic. It's perfect the way it is, gently caress the haters, if they don't like it that's their deal but I would be pretty disappointed if you changed it. It's raw and emotional and fierce in a way that few other online art offerings can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I was certain that there was more of a time jump involved, but apparently not. I don't think it's necessarily a retcon, though. Bina says she's thirteen during the halloween chapter, when Abel is dating Violet. There's probably a few weeks, maybe even a couple months, that they're dating before the big brain-deer fiasco. And immediately after the brain-deer bullshit, is the three-month jump. That's almost half a year, more than enough time for Bina to have a birthday. The author comments for the latest chapter say:

quote:

I'm trying to draw the kids a little closer to how they SHOULD look at their age (around 14-15). Anyway, welcome to the new chapter- I've had tons of fun drawing it >:33

So if we assume Bina to be one of the younger members, it all fits. Bina and Julie 14-ish, Abel and West 15-ish.

• Locked thread