Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I still like MS Paint Masterpieces which manages to have become a Good Comic, despite having started behind the megaman sprite comic 8 ball. Greatest Killer arc is probably the best place to start in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Knowing you I expect what this actually means is that some kinda weird demon thing is going to show up that's just entirely made of boobies. At least 300 boobies.

It still would have shown up without any donations, but it would have been made of only 200 boobies

So basically the aztec afterlife for dead infants?

Just a big vine covered in boobs where they'd spend eternity getting nursed. :unsmith:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

"Shine in your head" = she hands him a bottle of blonde hair dye? Ahahahahahahaha.

Gulps a shot of rotgut whiskey and spits it in his face.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Needs a ring.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

when you're a webcomics person and there's like a dozen other people who do what you do, you're all struggling to make a living, none of you even had a revenue model until a couple years ago, and the only other people your work puts you in regular contact with are your horrific loving fans, I feel like you probably don't really get to pick your friends

Hanging out with Ryan North on the Truth And Beauty Bombs forums back in the day was pretty fun :shrug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

yeah what's wrong with erfworld? I mean aside from the guy not being able to decide if he wants a comic or a novel.

Tons of exposition all in cringeworthy faux-cutesy language?

ED: Spidews

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

What would shake you up more, though; a time when Megatokyo is done or when Order of the Stick is?

Sluggy freelance ending.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It is currently in the 3-year Sluggy Freelance endgame.

Like, in-story years?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

hasn't it been in that for a few years already?

also, has artist said what he's going to do after it ends?

Work for hire

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

...This is User Friendly. When did he rename it?

Glad to know somethings never change though.

Didn't he get in trouble for stealing jokes or something?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Haschel Cedricson posted:

The best thing about this is the emphasis on how it's meant to be shared.

Thinking of this?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

MSPaint Masterpieces updated! I thought it had died again.

Ferret keeps on trucking along, it seems.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't get it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't blame you. Webcomics don't have a great history with using real world religions.

It'd be nice if we could a restrained and thoughtful way to incorporate religion into speculative fiction tho. Scifi tries to get away with it by saying "oh we've evolved past the whole thing :smaug:" while religions in fantasy stories usually don't come in more flavors than "I pray to the sun god and get cure light wounds 5x per day" or not-Spanish Inquisition burning the heretics/witches. It''d be interesting to explore more how having a world where gods are sometimes provably real and get involved in global affairs affects how society functions.

The Vlad Taltos books do a pretty good job of that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Googling the author of these books makes me suspicious

but friend tell me he is legit good so I guess I'll have to check those out

Dude's weird, but not in that way.

Raised by Hungarian labor organizers, and a die-hard trotskyist. He also wants to avoid grinding any of his personal political axes in his novels, so he made a rule that he'll only put his personal beliefs into the mouths of characters who are (A) secondary, and (B) disliked by the protagonist.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 14, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Whatever the logic is, I"m completely fine so long as it leads to a cool climax.

That is a heavy task to carry, but I'm totally willing to look into it if it's pulled off well enough

Just don't start with the prequel side-trilogy that he wrote as a self-indulgent Three Musketeers Tribute, with a great stylistic match for the longwinded archaic tone of Dumas.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

didn't tolkien hate people reading christianity into his work

He hated people treating them as a direct allegory.

Especially the idea of it being an allegory for the A-bomb.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mycot posted:

It's been years since I've read Skin Deep but I remember a lot of the supernatural creatures had pretty awful drawbacks like not being able to "turn back" or losing sapience over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't part of the appeal to that audience.

Anyway, SSSS continues to have great art, ghostbusting owls.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 26, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Girl Genius just brought out a major puzzle piece.

Before I check, are they currently in any large, fortified building?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Homestuck returning with implied Jack-rear end pun, firm schedule.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

He's been trying to salvage a disastrously mismanaged and ill-fated Kickstarter game, for the most part (the original dev team snatched all the money and dumped it into another project, with no legal recourse).

On the plus side, he locked his music director in the basement and got Undertale out of it, so clearly something went right.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i'm still not sure what mcbonald's saying in dr mcninja and saying his line out loud isn't helping at all

Yeah but thought it was a good try.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Either, "Yeah, I thought it was a good try." or "Yeah, but I thought it was a good try."

Basically, he knew he wasn't going to win, but he gave it his best shot anyway.

Edit: You motherfucker. :mad:

It was a good try.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DekeThornton posted:

In whiny passive aggressive fashion just apologizing for not knowing Eisner was Jewish.

Clearly because everyone would prefer

quote:

Will Eisner's legendary status is a shining example of how far you can go when you're a mediocre jew.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morbi posted:

No comment other than "there is not an opossum child in there."

Not since the accident.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So wait, jimmy's dad was evil for his entire life except one month I guess?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carrasco posted:

I don't think pirates are involved in the dying lumberjack kid room though.

The kid probably downloaded some mp3s

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Disqus is an awful comments system to begin with, and every time I see it on someone else's computer I'm glad I've adblocked it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

anti-magic posted:

Anything QC adjacent will have that effect.

Look, all the usual criticisms are played out, there need to be fresh and inventive ways of calling it poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

is there a middle ground in the conflict over whether Jack or Demon has the more appalling characters

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

His review of the Armory Show is an interesting read as well

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5565/

quote:

In some ways it is the work of the American painters and sculptors which is of most interest in this collection, and a glance at this work must convince any one of the real good that is coming out of the new movements, fantastic though many of the developments of these new movements are. There was one note entirely absent from the exhibition, and that was the note of the commonplace. There was not a touch of simpering, self-satisfied conventionality anywhere in the exhibition. Any sculptor or painter who had in him something to express and the power of expressing it found the field open to him. He did not have to be afraid because his work was not along ordinary lines. There was no stunting or dwarfing, no requirement that a man whose gift lay in new directions should measure up or down to stereotyped and fossilized standards.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Enough art for 7 years of comics or so

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yes now let's get into racial depictions in a cultural context, and also whether 'oriental' is a racial slur or just old timey.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

why do you have one buff rubber arm and one lovely plastic action figure arm?

Hunter X Hunter cosplay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morbi posted:

He could split his projection into multiple independent forms as well as any of us could control two bodies at once. Which is to say, probably not well.

If he were a manipulator or a conjurer he wouldn't have that problem.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mycot posted:

Yeah rule based magic is in fuckin everything and I think the last writer to really have a "magic is just magic" approach was Tolkien?

edit: I guess what really cheeses me off is that despite appearing in fuckin everything it gets treated as subversive each time, by both the author and the fans.

Tolkein has rules for his magic he just never mentions them in text. Some of his collected papers include little in-universe treatises on a few magic rules.

I'd honestly say dnd magic is one of the less 'rule based' because the only real 'rule' is the number of incredible things you can do in a short period, but there's absolutely no restriction on what said incredible things can be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah it's very hard to have stakes without an idea of what a character's options are.

Spiderman (without the long post-hoc comic book bullshit they added later that I don't know or care about the details of) is a good magic system.

Shoots webs. Super strong. Clings to walls. Spider sense.

You know what spidey can and can't do, so he's not gonna breathe fire to escape or summon the undead or start flying around to get out of a tricky situation.

But the audience doesn't need to know whether he's I dunno fabricating the webs out of radioactive magitek particles spawned by one of the 666 primordial spider daemons, or whether his spider sense relies on radio waves and cosmic jujumcgumbos derived from the Ur-Spider at the Centre of The Webs of Fate... Or exactly how many pounds he can benchpress.

Now for antagonists and background poo poo you really don't need to explain nearly as much as that because ultimately they're there to create challenges for the heroes to overcome. That said, you need to have enough consequences baked into the story so that the audience doesn't go 'whaaaaaat???' when dropping a random piece of jewelry into a volcano kills the main villain.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 17, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's even worse when there's magic on both sides and any contests between them become a series of magical rear end-pulls of steadily increasing egregiousness. It's like watching six-year-olds play make-believe fights where they spend a lot of time going "nuh-uh, you missed", only it's one person pretending to be two six-year-olds.

Yes we get it, you read bleach

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Well, it's why I don't, but yes, precisely.

Ah, ok.

Because that's literally how a fight went three chapters back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morbi posted:

I heard that the last chapter ended on the confrontation of two big bad guys whose powers are both "gently caress YOU I WIN" in completely different ways and there's no way that situation can play out that isn't the dumbest poo poo ever.

They had a confrontation where a guy shot another one.

And then the second guy was like 'nah uh, my power is that you get hurt instead',

and the first guy was like 'well nah uh, that's my power except you get bad things that happen to me AND I get good things that happen to you too'

• Locked thread