Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hogge Wild posted:

If you can't read something because the writer has some questionable views you don't agree with, then you'll have to stick to reading only your own Tumblr.

Some people are just armed with a hatred for moral clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fritz posted:

It doesn't seem to be online anymore, but he had a webcomic a few years ago that had the main character getting mad about, I think, gay marriage right out of the blue.

Was it another comic than Ratfist? All I remember from the political ranting in Ratfist was some hamfisted greed-is-good libertarianism vs. evil corrupt incompetent Big Gubmint czars loving things up. The czar did wear a pink tutu, tough. But pretty soon TenNapel stopped updating Ratfist publicly and instead told people to buy the book to get the rest of the story, maybe the gay marriage thing happened afterwards.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, posting comics.

I've been following Never Satisfied since it was earlier linked to in this thread, and I love this page.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Last time the thread figured it was supposed to be pronounced "Progress".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- Turning into an animal as a metaphor for queer awakening

That's the one thing I'm not really seeing. I don't think Skin Deep is meant to be any sort of metaphor for anything, I don't see it as having any sort of pretension beyond the author daydreaming about fantasy creatures being real.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's why I don't see any social struggle aspect at all.

Compare to Monsterkind.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Counterpoint

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also Ian Jones-Quartey.

But it's a moving of goalpost anyway. There are webcomics made by talented people; it doesn't matter if they were doing something else before, or after.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, what's been happening in Manly Guys recently?

March 7 update:

quote:

I actually wrote this one like five years ago but this seemed like an appropriate time to use it

Man cancer is super in vogue this year, all the cool kids are getting it. And I guess that must mean I got invited to sit at the cool kid lunch table because the doctor’s pretty sure I have it too! At least as sure as he can be without physically going in and cutting pieces out.

Plus side, it’s pretty low-key 99.7% survivable thyroid cancer so if you gotta spin that cancer roulette wheel it’s basically like winning a jackpot. And I’ll get a cool Kurgan neck scar out of it, which I feel would massively compliment my aesthetic.

Minus side is I gotta take drugs to replace my thyroid for the rest of my life and get to live with hypo/perthyroidism until they get all the medication levels sorted out which is NOT GOING TO BE FUN while I’m also in the middle of working a full-time job and planning a wedding (and drawing all these webcomics what I do) So I will pre-emptively say, if you’re wondering why MGDMT is kind of janky or not in colour or whatever happens to be wrong with it that week, it’s probably because I have cancer.

That aside, I also got hammered with a super bad cold this weekend that completely knocked me out of commission, which, if you ask me, is completely not fair to get knocked out by a head cold the same week you get diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

Ah well, C’est la vie.

March 12 update:

quote:

If Frank Frazetta could learn to draw with his left hand so can I

Boy howdy it sure has been a lovely month for me, hasn’t it.

March 20 update:

quote:

The pumpkins make me feel more guilty than the pottery

This is an easy joke that a million people have made but whatever, I sincerely feel bad smashing pumpkins in this tiny little farming town to harvest rupees out of them and I can’t get over Link’s dumb placid lingering stare.

Anyway, final tally on the damage, I have a some impermanent nerve trauma making most of my right arm and hand numb that’s supposed to clear up in about six weeks, a small fracture in my shoulder, and some torn muscles and ligaments I’ll have to do physio for when it’s safe to lift my arm again in about three weeks. What I DO have is the go-ahead from the doctor to draw again with my right arm, because doing so with an ergonomically reshuffled workspace won’t exacerbate any of those issues. The experience of drawing right now is sort of like, if you lie on your arm long enough for it to go numb, then strap it to your body so you can only move at the elbow and try to see how much pen control you have. My arm gets tired quickly, it can’t move enough to sketch, and I need to intensely focus on what I’m doing to put lines where I need them, but by WORKING REALLY HARD and concentrating all my energy into the task I’ve worked out a system of sketching with my left hand and cleaning up with my right hand that allows me to continue working at the pace and quality necessary for a professional storyboard artist without doing anything to aggravate the injury.

If anything I hope this cements my career for the rest of my life, like whenever I apply for jobs, potential future employers ask around about me and testimonials are just like “She’s a loving machine who keeps chipping at the work like the T-1000 taking shotgun blasts. She boarded five minutes of television with a broken shoulder even faster and more efficiently than she was working before.” Make this my Tony Stark in a Cave With a Box of Scraps moment, like “dude, what’s your excuse? Kelly did this with nerve damage, a torn ligament, and thyroid cancer.”

Anyway, that’s me trying to look on the bright side.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Plethora posted:

Hey.
Guess what time it is?
Time to ruin your Easter.
I'm so sorry.

http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/24

Just posting a link and not uploading a comic. This one's kinda gross.

I just love the mom's smiling "tada!" pose. "Look, a severed animal bit leaking blood all over the floor, just for you!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Atheris posted:

Both Lackadaisy and Ava's Demon have updated.

This isn't an April Fool's joke, they really have.

Goddamn Lackadaisy is gorgeous.

Ever since she started using more colors than just sepia, the story has been worth following for the art alone.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Plethora posted:

That last picture stood out for me because I've already seen those flowers before in a painting I have on my living room wall:

This was given to me by a coworker who made it while receiving schizophrenia treatment as a teenager.

The image link doesn't work for me. Trying to go directly to its url gives me DeviantArt's 404 page. Could you rehost?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Morbi posted:

I do not think I have been very subtle.

Honestly it has so far looked like "Petunia completely misinterprets the relationship between Kit and Poppy", so if your intent was "Petunia is completely right about the relationship between Kit and Poppy" then yes you have been a bit too subtle.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Plethora posted:

Yyyyyeah... Nivose asked me to take them down because the relative they talked about has a wife and family who wouldn't appreciate having his suicide talked about in a bunny comic. I would have liked if he told me his ahead of time so I wouldn't have drawn the drat thing.

You could have put a fake name for the relative. (Like I don't imagine Nivose was actually christened after a month from the French revolutionary calendar.) Or no name at all, just squiggles on the book.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Blindspring has been running a short story as a filler. It's a sort of Russian version of Cinderella. Today's page was funny; Cinderella would have been improved if Cindy got rid of her wicked stepmom and stepsisters with a magical incendiary grenade.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

Speaking of things children shouldn't be doing, in Gastrophobia, Gastro's learning some new things. Weird, I thought they only did that with bulls.

Zeus has taken many shapes, though I can't find one where he took the shape of a horse. He's notably been a satyr (Antiope), a pigeon (Phthia), a swan (Leda), an eagle (Ganymedes), a bull (Europe), the goddess Artemis (Kallisto), an ant (Eurymedousa), and a golden rain shower (Danae).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's a comic about demons, so I thought it'd fit this thread.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Actually reading it, yes, it is a good Fafhrd and Gray Mouser pastiche. The dialogue and pacing feel right out of the stories, just with swears. And penises.

One of the Fafhrd & Gray Mouser stories involve stealing a treasure from a house that is made of a central tower with two small dome-shaped wings.

The author had a foreword where he basically said "I somehow didn't realize just how phallic that was when I wrote it."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

I never read Jack except I knew someone in college who was a forums moderator there. She would ask for help (on matters of forum moderation).

My advice to her would be that anyone who registers on the Jack forums is a sicko who should be banned preemptively.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The best way to describe Jack is that the bad webcomics threads basically never discuss it.

There's sometimes an occasional "balls, too" reference but that's pretty much all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blastron posted:

Poppy: I thought that Kit couldn't actually see light, just the chemical makeup of things, which is why she's such a genius chemist but also can't see reflections in mirrors. Does Poppy's personal antimagic negate that, letting Kit see Poppy (and her reflection in Poppy's eyes) normally?

More importantly, the alt-text of the previous page has not been disproved yet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brought To You By posted:

Widdershins: That bit of logic from Ms. Acedia actually broke my brain. Is getting fed to a manifestation of a deadly sin not the horrific thing I imagined and instead good? And she did just spend 30+ years arranging for this to happen all so she could get some sleep. I'm so confused

She just doesn't see it this way. "So you say..." She doesn't agree with this interpretation of previous events. "What he offered me, though..." She's got a different version of the story, one that appeals to her and that she prefers believing. We don't really know the details of what happens to the mind/soul of someone possessed by a spirit; what Acedia knows (or thinks she knows, at the least) doesn't make her afraid of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey, does this work for anyone? I can't load the images on old pages of Table Titans. If I try to access directly an image, e.g., I just get some XML error code telling me "All access to this object has been disabled"; which makes catching up kinda hard.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's an rear end salt of bad puns.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
On the one hand, it's cool to take into account that this is a topic that can upset people, and that people who enjoy reading Wacky Highschool Hijinks by David "Butts Disease" Willis do not necessarily want to get this kind of stuff instead of wacky hijinks about butts.

On the other hand, a giant warning like that is a great way to make any sort of emotion fall flat. This strip is even more of a loss.jpg with it than it would be without it.

The kitten is nice, but the comment on it is dumb.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

I might've benefited from a bit of a content warning for that one time in Blaster Nation where a man got caught in a meat grinder. I stopped following it for a while after that.

That was heavily forewarned, though, since after all this character had only one arm when he was introduced, so when we got in a sequence about his past, getting the backstory of how he lost his arm was pretty much inevitable.

But yes, ouch.

nerdman42 posted:

I mean, you're right about the same characters thing, but weren't the 90s version of those characters terrible.

It's an easy shot and I'm not doing this just to go "webcomics are bad :smug: you shouldn't read them :smug:" but let's be honest here, the 2010s version of these characters is still terrible.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

and GPF is another one of those comics that tries so hard to be dull sitcom humor but is instead quite thoroughly insane. like, yeah, this really is what that guy thinks Dilbert looks like

My impression is the opposite: it tries to be some insane epic sci-fi saga but it's just dull instead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
QED: fanfiction sites are bad and children should be warned never to visit them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The old April Fools Double Gambit, where the prank is that the stuff that is obviously too ridiculous to be real is actually true. I'm just waiting for the reveal that Petunia had been a fish in disguise all this time, which IMO shouldn't be long now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like YAFGC because I'm a big dork, but the latest storyline being a crossover rings up all sorts of alarm bells. I've never seen a webcomic crossover that wasn't a trainwreck, and it turns out this one starts with a literal trainwreck.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I kinda feel about GTH like I feel about QC: it's boring, nothing ever happens, or when it happens it's offscreen because the author doesn't feel confident enough in their skills to attempt to illustrate it. And just like QC, the boringness results in passionate goon debates.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Registering on a pay forum just to (poorly) respond to criticism on byob isn't the wisest choice

But at least they're not shilling for Star Citizen

I think that would have made that one and only post much better, actually.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like the background/scene art in Girl Genius. I guess the very simplistic/cartoony art using for people's face clashes badly with the detailed art of the background? The Foglios love to use extremely exaggerated expressions, which couldn't work with a more realistic art style. (They're also, I must admit, pretty bad at anatomy.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hogge Wild posted:

is sluggy freelance showing any signs of ending like the artist promised?

It's slowly trudging toward taking down the evil corporation, but at a sluggy pace. At a guess I'd say it might end in three to five years.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

I haven’t worked out the publishing part of it. It could very well be unpublishable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

i'm very finn and very white

you should be ashamed

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I can confirm that this is how bongs are used.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The perception of what is offensive depends a lot on the kind of upbringing you had so it's easy to not realize that something is terribly racist if you never got to see people telling you that indeed it is racist. This is an example of what is called "being sheltered". The Internet abolishing boundaries, so here you go using stuff that you had no idea was deeply offensive, because you had never met anyone who had been offended by it IRL, and suddenly you're told that actually it's very offensive. Many perceive that as an attack on their character (not: their characters) and so they react overly defensively instead of just going "my bad, I didn't realize".

And of course, this is always the opportunity for a smug American to pontificate about how Europeans are incredibly more racist than them, because Zwarte Piete.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

And as some of the interstitial pages have noted, for languages originating from nearly adjacent regions, some of them sound almost nothing alike.

Finnish is a Finno-Ugric language, meaning that it's closer to Hungarian than to other Scandinavian languages. (Estonian is in the same family, too.) It's also more distantly related to Uralic languages. Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, and co. on the other hand are North Germanic languages, so it's a completely different family, one which as you can guess is related to other Germanic languages, including English.

If the comic took place on the Iberian peninsula, you could have the same dynamic with Castilian Spanish, Catalan, Galego, Portuguese... and Basque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If it used the plain old Latin alphabet glyphs, it'd be dismissed as just for readers' (and author's) convenience; same as why they speak English. But we're shown a different set of glyphs, that makes it explicitly part of the setting "as-is" instead of a transcription for the audience's sake. And it's obviously derived from the Latin alphabet, so there is only one explanation possible: Flora is either a post-apocalyptic Earth or a planet once settled by humans. Now, let's go back to the 2016 announcement, what is the very first item?

• Locked thread