Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

fritz posted:

It sort of looks like "School of World" (http://schoolofworld.tumblr.com/) is gearing up for an ending, which I'll be sad about.

School of World is great and doesn't get nearly enough love. I'm not surprised he's leading towards an ending, but it's still sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I am really enjoying Allison's new attitude but yeah drinking the mysterious smoking liquor given to you by a demon for free is probably not a good idea.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RoboCicero posted:

I'm guessing it's for free because the bartender just saw someone teleport in, which in theory only the six kings can do (maybe?) wielding a giant fuckoff sword. You want that kind of person on your good side, and fast.

I had hoped that her last escapades with 86-Chain would've taught her that she should keep the lid pretty tight on the fact she has a unallied magus gate stuck in her head. I think mystery liquor is going to very rapidly drop to the bottom of her worries in about two minutes.

From what the demon-masking people said it sounds like they can also use the keys to teleport other people.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

She is continuing to make Good Decisions.

I wonder if that bottle is a factor at this point or if she's just completely fed up.

Also: Usagi :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

All she has to do is win a game of skill against the most ancient and powerful type of devil. What's the worst that could happen?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I appreciate that he still basically looks like a muppet, just a big gangly terrifying one, like from the Dark Crystal or something. Also that his "cane" was actually his pipe.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zweihander01 posted:

So in the other webcomic about demons, K6BD: So are those wings growing out of Metatron's wounds? It'd be pretty metal if those were just the wings that the Thorn angels cut off themselves and they just stuck them into his body. Is Metatron even alive there or what?

No I think that's just Metatron itself leaking out of the body. Metatron does live, after all, his body is just broken and he's been taking his time fixing it.

The thorn knights are in physical bodies, that's why they don't have wings.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

majormonotone posted:

I think Ryan North is too. Probably also, like, Christopher Hastings and Danielle Corsetto and all of the Webcomic Famous crew. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy in person, or whatever, but on the Internet he just comes across as a creepy weirdo with a badly written webcomic that updates once a year (unless he's actually updating at a regular pace now, I don't really keep up with him for obvious reasons)

It's pretty regular now, but it's not as often as he's supposed to update based on his patreon rewards, so all is right with the world.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ConanThe3rd posted:

OK, this has been driving me nuts all day;

I'm trying to remember the name of a webcomic I read about a year ago about a demon girl who had an angel friend (also female) that took place in a sort of mishmashed afterlife and the main point was that the Demon girl wan't that big about being demonic.

And, no, it's not ava's demon.

That sounds vaguely similar to Kill Six Billion Demons.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Phy posted:

Hang on, Fletcher Hanks' characters are public domain?

Of course they are, I'm pretty sure his publisher didn't survive the golden age.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 7, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wasn't Tom Bombadil there specifically to showcase why they couldn't find someone better than Frodo to take the ring? He was practically a parody character and totally clashed with the rest of the story.

That's because he wrote a bunch of like fairy tales about Tom Bombadil and that forest he lived in decades before LotR. He was included basically as an easter egg for his children, and to add some whimsy I guess.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Burkion posted:

We already have Chimps and Gorillas.

Humans are just that but more evolved

That's not how evolution works! We are exactly as evolved as apes and gorillas because we coexist with them. You could say we're more evolved than like australopithecus because they were supplanted completely by humans. This is all assuming that being more or less evolved than anything makes any sense at all.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tunicate posted:

Ah but evolution is defined as change over time, so coexistence is insufficient, since several species (crocodiles, turtles, ants) don't really change much.

But crocodiles have evolved just as much, they were shaped environmental pressures just like apes or birds or bacteria. Unless you mean evolved more as in literally the number of changes, then it gets really tricky because how do you differentiate between ancestors? The statement that humans are more evolved versions of australopithecus is just as valid as saying that they are more evolved versions of some hundred million year old single-celled organism.

Crocodiles have kept the same basic body plan over millions of years, but ancient crocodiles are not the same species as modern ones. They were bigger or smaller based on environmental pressures. A crocodile that ate dinosaurs is gonna be bigger than one that eats water buffalo. Evolution is not a linear process leading from somewhere to somewhere else. Humans may be able to walk upright and speak languages, but we also have lovely throats that get clogged super easily and lovely pelvis' (pelvi?) that often break when we try to give birth. It just so happens that the advantages of being able to communicate and walk long distances outweigh those disadvantages on average.

Every species that still exists is by definition the most evolved in history because life on earth started all at once*. They've all gone through the same history, they just ended up at different places.

*probably? It seems unlikely that there were multiple coexisting events that created the first organisms we would consider "living" on different parts of the planet, and that both were able to stick around. But it's hard to make a definitive statement on that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I figured there are just some possums that are rich. It's just incredibly rare, not completely impossible.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It looks like all the rewards that involve doing extra personal work are sold out already, all you can get is just the book or the book + stickers. As as long as she's not doing all the shipping herself, more money won't involve more work.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gently Caress posted:

Why would you Sword Interval when you can Derelict?

Because Sword Interval updates on a regular basis.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

iospace posted:

Yeah, singular they is becoming more accepted, and I know the AP style guide recently approved it for use.

Also, I love cast pages as sort of "Ok, who are these character and who's going to be a regular" sort of thing.

Singular they appears in english texts back to the 15th century. It only fell out of use in the late 19th century, and even then not completely.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Typical Pubbie posted:

Singular they is awkward and confusing to read unless the preceding text is carefully constructed to make the context clear.

But it's all we've got.

It's a hell of a lot less awkward than "he or she" or some new made up pronoun. It's not really that bad, you probably use it all the time without even thinking. It's the same linguistic shift that happened with ye and you. "Ye" was the proper way to refer to a singular person, whereas "you" was strictly plural. But now "you" has completely supplanted "ye" and people had to invent "y'all" to compensate for the lack distinction.

Language is funny.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're thinking of the shift from "thou" being second person singular and "you" being second person plural to "you" being both. You can see signs of the shift in early modern English stuff like Shakespeare, where both get used. Thou became an increasingly more personal and crude way to address someone until it fell out of common use.

D'oh, you're right, I knew I should've double checked :doh:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

My favorite Zen Pencils is the (unedited) one where a guy abandons his family and job to be a Game of Thrones cosplayer living in the woods.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JuniperCake posted:

It's also messed up because Miyazaki is known to be a very harsh critic and is dismissive of a lot of other people's art including pretty much all of his contemporaries. So choosing him as some kind of defender against criticism is really bizarre.

Not to mention the fact that in the comic he builds a stereotypical giant robot, which shows that zen pencils guy only knows him as "that anime guy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Double Punctuation posted:

IIRC, it's been pointed out in-comic that if you can see where the organ was, you'll just see some magic portal thing instead, since the organ is still functioning despite not being where it's supposed to be.

What about that kid with the face monster? He was going around with an exposed skull most of the time.

• Locked thread