Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I thought erfworld was ok before it became :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Did you guys know that Hyperbole and a Half made a book? Because holy poo poo did it make my day.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Rei_ posted:

I think doing the comic in and of itself wasnt good for her, so she stopped

Huh. I thought the comic was one of the ways she vented.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm surprised she didn't gag up whatever awful liquid is in there.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

wiegieman posted:

On the bright side, if she loses she only has to give up some of her universe shattering cosmic power.

That she doesn't even want anyway. What a steal.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Operant posted:

Well, he was supposed to be an old crimson devil. But I'm going to roll with it and just thought of an interesting bit or two, so this is about to get far more horrifying.

It's good to know you're still taking reader input, even if the readers didn't know they were giving input at the time.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

FlyinPingu posted:

too bad said comic also has a bunch of dumb unfunny videogame stuff in it

Yeah the majority of the Halo excursion felt like a waste of time.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Demon is pretty much :regd08: the comic isn't it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

who decided that five-girl squads with no supervision was the right way to patrol a town

A question I ask of every magic girl story

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

fun hater posted:

Honey Crab is great and good and only just started so now's the best time to get into it. Very interesting and cool animated/page transition stuff that takes advantage of the medium. Done by the same person who did I Want You To Feel The Pressure. Also has a Patreon!

A good comic

e:

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 6, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tollymain posted:

neo-kosmos

This is extremely homestuck. Whether or not this is a complement depends on your perspective.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Also these characters seem too much like glib millennials for being space children raised isolated in alien laboratories.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Countdown until Jimmy uses traps made of fetal stem-cells to catch other demons.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 12, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Am I going to have to do another QC minus Garfield again?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

QC still better minus garfield.

Why do we have to have this conversation every time it comes up?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

QC is actually incredibly bad. The art is extremely poor, and the writing is so boring that it's repellent.

Not So Fast posted:

Actually, It's Good.

Don't do this to me.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Right below good"

Notice the inexpressive line-work, the boxy, unnatural shapes that dominate the background, and the colouring that looks like it came out of MS Paint.

e: Like Red Robot towers over Pink Anime. Why not express that through perspective?

Ugh there's barely even any garfield to remove from that one.

Ungarfable.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Here you can observe a properly garfated QC comic.

Notice that the absence of the joke actually increases the comedic value. This serves as evidence of a possible "antihumor" which QC is theorized to generate. You can learn more about this in my new book The Sound of One Cheek Farting.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

keep making these, they're p. good

Let me see if I can find the ones I made last time people thought it was a good idea to discuss QC.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Here we go, these were the first ones.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah those were from last thread I think.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

There was some good material that was born out of the homestuck/forum-adventure trend, but that stuff was always the stuff that ripped off homestuck the least.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I want it to end if only because I'm committed to seeing it through all the way.

You have a sickness.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

qntm posted:

This is your decennial reminder that the web comic Help Desk is still going.

From the associated patreon:

"Take a comic book, remove all pictures, add eight to ten thousand words, repeat monthly. That is the basic idea of Curveball"

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Yeah I feel the same. There's still foundation for an interesting plot and I'd be lying if I didn't think that whatever chapters make up the 4th and 5th volume aren't good. But at this point if he can't even put out a single page a month we'll never see the end of it.

Looks like the only thing he didn't lift from the japanese is their work-ethic.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Mr. Ious would have been better.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

My favorite Oglaf is the one with the penis.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

John Campbell has always been less of a comic writer and more of a performance artist.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

No I think that's the cocaine.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Who the gently caress names a person "Quintessence"

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

This is a work of art.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Jesus, these are depressing as gently caress. Why are we posting them to the thread?

Because I have been waiting for something like this since Pictures for Sad Children got nuked. Where do I go to submit my own childhood trauma?

Plethora posted:

The author has a bunch of other comics he works on, located here: http://comicfury.com/profile.php?username=SVeidt

The profile says it's for a man in Prague but Bunny Meat is signed with a very feminine Japanese name. What's the deal there?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Plethora posted:

I did that because I want to get honest opinions. I've learned from experience that if you come in going "look at my stuff" no one will give you the right kind of criticism you need to get better. SA is great at voicing useful criticism, as seen with Tyson Hesse's experiences, and there aren't any better places to go for some straight truth than SA.

Unfortunately, there's a stigma against self-promotion, especially here. I tried it before here at least twice and was ignored like a plague, making me confused as to whether my work was just extremely boring or if no one wanted to talk about it if they knew the artist is reading along. It was no help at all.

But by going 'oh hey here's a thing' just now I got several genuine, honest responses I can now use to be a better artist that never happened before.

Sorry for the deception there. There was no intention to upset anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I care a great deal about feedback because I want to be good at what I do, and it's a lot harder to get real people's opinions that it looks.

Oh good I can just ask you directly. I noticed that the main character seems consistent across all the stories. Is this all supposed to be happening to one person (maybe "Megumi Tomoe")? Shall I select for personal trauma that would be consistent with the speaker being a girl?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Cool. I don't really feel like making an account for another site so I'll just pm you my traumas.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Guys they obv just trollin, don't feed them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yeah, I don't dislike pavlov or anything but the only thing stopping me from buying him a hilarious bunny avatar/title right now is the fact I'm utterly skint.

Because that story is comedy gold, and just perfectly goony in every way.

Oh man waking up to a bunny avatar would have been the loving icing on this cake.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hmmm, that one would have been better if the author had been less preachy at the end.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Even just abridging it would have helped, like:

"That day I learned: How to sit down and shut up. It remains a useful skill."

Not sure how far you want to take your creative liberties with these though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sleepless Domain: Remember when this comic had a cast? Those were the days.

So, is this like an attempt to make a 'dark and gritty' magic girl anime? Because the more I think about that the more it seems like a dumb idea.

• Locked thread